Treestand Safety Harness Vests

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by stillman, Dec 4, 2016.

1. stillman

stillman Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've been using the uncomfortable harness that came with my Summit climber and I'm ready to upgrade.

I think a vest is what I want but I'm not sure about a specific brand or if I should be looking at something else entirely. I'd ask my hunting buddies but I'm the only one who isn't invincible. (As in, they think a harness is useless since they'll never fall out of a tree.)

Anyone have experience with a vest-based harness system?
    Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  2. Verkstad

Verkstad Tracker

Blog Posts:
    One of my friends has a vest harness by Cresto. He seems to like it. Its got several pockets too. His lanyard is home made.
    I dont know if Cresto has presence in N.A.

I just use a traditional harness & retractable lanyard from Miller.
    stillman likes this.
  3. stillman

Blog Posts:
    Millers look like they are designed for a guy to work in all day. Are they comfortable?
  4. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sorry... I don't use a vest... I just use the one that came with the stand... I leave it a little loose, and it's un-noticeable.

I'm a former parachutist... we were told our harnesses had to be TIGHT or they'd do unspeakable things when they snatched... well, 'tain't so... I got tired of it on the line one day, and loosened it up quite a bit... I'll continue to risk "it" (whatever that is) and wear mine loose.
    stillman likes this.
  5. stillman

Blog Posts:

I wear mine somewhere between tight and loose, maybe about just right. I still find it uncomfortable enough that I wait until the last minute to put it on and have hunted from the ground a few times when I accidentally left it in the truck.

Wife and Daughter were in another town, Christmas shopping today. There's a Bass Pro between here and there, so I asked her to stop by and pick up an HSS Elite on sale. I'll try it on when she gets home with it. I'm kind of hoping it will be far better - but I'm also kind of hoping it will be about the same so I can return it and save the money.
    Seeker likes this.
  6. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    One thing I do to make that part of life easier is use a climbing biner with it. I got the biner when I was in the Army... just a big oval, standard issue. I generally put the harness on wherever I've parked, hanging real loose (just enough to keep the straps off the ground. When I get to my stand, I run it up the tree. I keep the tree strap and a biner in one of the pockets in the seat. I generally mark the height ahead of time, with a piece of flagging or whatever, cuz you can't see in the dark too well. Anyway, I put the tree strap around the tree, put the biner in place, and then cinch it all down, with the gate facing out, and the hinge up. Once I've got my bag hung (paracord loop on the tree strap, with a biner on the pack), camo net down, and am happy with the footrest height, I sit down, reach back, and can easily clip the harness loop into the biner because it's all facing the right way, so tight the biner gate can be pushed open, and easy to hook because the hinge is 'up' and the opening is down. hope that helps some.
    stillman likes this.
  7. stillman

Blog Posts:
    Wife got home with the HSS Elite a little while ago. I tried on my old harness and then the new one. The difference was not as great as I had expected so I wore the vest around the house for a while, to my daughter's amusement.

The things I like:
    It's comfortable, but mostly because none of the straps interfere with the items on my belt.
    It has pockets, the more the better, IMO.
    Bino straps are built in, which removes the need to wear a bino harness.
    The suspension strap is longer than the one on my old harness.
    The stress relief strap is in the center, which means it doesn't interfere with things on my belt and it can be used as a deer drag.
    It uses clips instead of pass-through buckles. I think it's safer and there are no dangling straps.
    It's warm.

Things I don't like:
    It's warm. Yes, this is on both lists. I live in GA.
    It's heavier than the one I have been using. This surprised me because the buckles on the old one are chunky and heavy.
    It's expensive.

The jury is still out but they're voting 8-4 in favor of keeping it.
  8. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Chose one of the HSS systems that works for you. Personally I am too old to climb trees anymore.
    stillman likes this.
  9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Supporter Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    I use a hss harness and it is so much better than the ones that come with climbers. more comfortable and has release buckles at legs and waist.
    stillman likes this.
  10. Hunt/Fish

Hunt/Fish Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I switched to a rock climbing harness years ago and I gave my HSS vest to a buddy. The rock climbing harness makes self rescue so much easier than a tradition harness.
    stillman likes this.
  11. stillman

Blog Posts:
    I returned the vest. It was very comfortable but too warm for early season hunting around here.

When I returned the vest, I found that Bass Pro had a clearance sale on an older version of the HSS UltraLite harness for $60. It's very comfortable and doesn't interfere with the revolver and knife I carry on my belt.

I almost bought a Muddy Diamondback but it didn't have the rear loop to attach a deer drag. I've dragged a few out of the woods by hand and I think being able to drag with a vest will be much better.
  12. PA Jaeger

PA Jaeger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    +1 on your harness. I wear the new version of that ultra light from HSS.

I like to wear it over my pants or bibs, but under my outermost jacket (have flaps in the back for the tether). You'll find it blocks your pockets if you wear it on the outside of your top layer. You can usually modify your coats to put the flap in the back of any coat (a good sewing machine is a plus)

Agree on using a climbing carabiner for the tether, makes it real easy to get linked in once your up the tree.

Have worn many a rock climbing harness and like the idea of keeping everything out of the way (especially out of the way of the bowstring.)

Just make sure you always wear it in the tree!!!! 3 points of contact while climbing at all times!!!! BE safe
    ozarkhunter and stillman like this.
  13. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I picked up one of the ultra-light HSS harnesses off of ebay last fall for about $30 shipped.
    PA Jaeger and stillman like this.
  14. PA Jaeger

PA Jaeger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great price Ozark!! That thing is so light I don't even know I have it one.
    stillman likes this.