TSA will permit knives on US planes!

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Crazysanman, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  2. Leif

Leif Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting.

Seems the SAK would be cleared, and those knives about that size.

3. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    most confiscated knife is probably the little keychain SAK. Not a real threat.
    Next time we fly down to Mississippi to see the grandson I will check this out.
    (with something cheap, just in case)

4. hastings

hastings Scout

Blog Posts:
    The article also only mentions overseas passengers, and no locking blades. Going to investigate further.

5. Yankeewoodsman

Yankeewoodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    jaypolaski
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    prestoclown
    Well this is a step in the right direction!

6. Grits

Grits Guide

Blog Posts:
    Crumbs. Only crumbs, sprinkled on our civil liberties.

7. xRangerx

xRangerx Woods wandering bird nerd Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    what are the dimensions of the SAK farmer blade? Would it be allowed?

8. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just measured my Victorinox Hiker. The cutting portion of the blade is 61 mm, from the hinge point about 7cm. The smaller forms (Bantam, Waiter etc,) would be okay.

9. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Hey, you guys complain all that you want.

I finally get to carry my wiffle ball bat when I travel again!

10. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    A sharp blow to the wiffle balls is deadly

11. justin_baker

justin_baker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Does this mean that locking folding knives are ok? Or is it only non locking folders?

12. Ned

Ned Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome! My every day carry knife would fit in those size parameters... but... why retractable!? My knives are all fixed blade, though I like them small. Just another case of ignorance as to what things are used for. Fixed blades are stronger and used for utility. Retractable blades are weak and more likely to be used for "self-defense" than a fixed blade. So why would they give preference to retractable blades of the same small size? *facepalm*

Sounds like the police officer who tried to tell me that my 2" fixed-blade neck knife was a dangerous weapon, and that I should be carrying a "pocket knife" instead, like his 4-5" folder. lol.

At least they're getting smart enough to realize that yes, a traveler needs his pocket knife (even if their definition of such is a little wonky) as much or more as everybody else, and that no, a 2" blade is not going to be the cause of an airline hijack, even if you have ill-intentions!

Maybe somebody from high up in the TSA staff went for a trip himself and realized he couldn't even open his purchases without buying a knife to go with them and disposing of it afterwards, lol.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  13. hastings

hastings Scout

Blog Posts:
    The way I'm reading the article is, if you are flying out of the country to another country overseas..... Then you would be allowed to carry a knife of those dimensions. Non locking blade only. And the reason it is overseas travel only is to have the USA laws, rules whatever , fall inline with other nations restrictions. Anyone reading it differently?

14. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That's not a knife, it's a toothpick.

15. justin_baker

justin_baker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Because it's difficult to stab someone with a non locking folding knife that is just going to close on your fingers.

16. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    I really don't know how anyone gets along without a knife, but I guess a lot of politicians and bureaucrats do. This limited ruling is typical. I've seen legislators declaim that locking blades are soley for the purpose of stabbing someone and have had to explain that locking blades keep the blade from closing on your fingers, a feature that fixed blades do not need.

The summation is that we are being governed by idiots who, for whatever reason, seem particularly drawn to government service.

17. gloomhound

gloomhound Guide

Blog Posts:
  18. Leif

Leif Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
  19. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    It's about frickin' time they loosened up a little.

20. NorthernFrontiersman

NorthernFrontiersman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well....at least they are specific with their measurements!

21. schizoid

schizoid Tracker

Blog Posts:
    More proof that they didn't think it through lol. they need to be far more worried about slashing injuries, but either way its a good start

22. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    That's how the article in the OP seems to read. I read four different articles from four different news sources and got four different interpretations of what is being proposed by TSA. We are sadly going to have to wait until it is posted on TSA's updated website (it wasn't updated as of 1500 hrs) to see what the policy actually will be. We apparently can't rely on our nation's news outlets to get a few simple facts straight.

On a side note, I was initially glad at hearing this news about finally being able to carry a pocket knife once again when I travel. However, after coming home and measuring all of my smallest pocket knives, I realized that NONE of them would meet the 6 cm (2 3/8" ) size limitation. I then decided to check out a whole crapload of small folding knives on various knife vendor websites. I would have to say somewhere around 95% of all pocket knives would be prohibited under these guidelines. That is, all except those crummy "gentleman's knives" that have a small blade and a thing to trim your fingernail cuticles.

Throw us a friggin' bone here! Even a simple stockman's knife usually has a blade of 2.5" - 3".

Now I'm on a quest to find a TSA-compliant pocket knife that I wouldn't be embarrased to be seen carrying.

23. Lerch

Lerch Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just measured my farmer. Cutting edge is 2 and a half inches. I am sure they will measure to the handle though which will make the SAK farmer banned still. This will however allow box cutters to be allowed on the plane which I believe were the knives used in the event that triggered this BS to begin with. These jackasses don't care about safety. Just the perception of safety.

[​IMG]

24. saustin1967

saustin1967 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Actually, two of my edc sharps are compliant. Have a small two blade Old Timer that I have carried for years, and a Browning two blade Trapper. The long blade in the OT is 1 7/8, and the Browning's long blade is 2 1/4. Looks like I'm good to go.

25. mwaterous

mwaterous Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Maybe it's just me but I don't see this as a step in the right direction. More of an insult really; we're going to disarm and molest you with minimum wage trainees that have passed only the most basic of background checks, but here's a little bone! Good lil puppies! Keep an eye out for us on your highways in the near future!

The TSA is a joke. I have and will continue to waste my hard earned dollars on gas driving any distance that I have to, instead of flying any TSA managed port.

26. QiWiz

QiWiz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If ski poles OK

then trekking poles would be too. That's good news for those like me with knee issues.

27. Uncas

Uncas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There's few things more satisfiying than compliance, and a favorable nod from a bureaucrat.......Uncas

28. rthrasher2

rthrasher2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I did the same with my SAK Spartan main blade, same dimentions. Cutting portion 6cm, Total blade lenght 7cm, widest portion .5in.

29. Hiwa

Hiwa Guide

Blog Posts:
    All it takes is one " higher-than-thou " TSA or other airport official to decide your knife ( even though it may meet their revised criteria) is unfit to be on your person entering an aircraft and there won't be a thing you can do about it.

As much as it bites not having your usual daily carry on you when travelling , having no cutting tool at all when dealing with airport security means I'm not going to have any hassle with it and be on my merry way. When travelling to Asia ,etc I had all sorts of knives in my check in and retrieved my EDC as soon as I left the airport.

Plane tickets are a whole lot more expensive than almost any knife ( or knives) I'm bringing with me , and the last thing I want to do is compromise my boarding/flight because I would feel better having my Spyderco or whatever on me. Sucks I know , but definately less hassle travelling through airport(s).

I could see another scenario where youy didn't have any check-in luggage , therefore being sharp-less upon arriving at your destination , but I usually buy or aquire a knife as soon as I get to where I'm going anyhow . I can always mail it to myself if I want to keep it. I usually have check-in anyways and never had any issues , even with big machetes.

Just the way I look at sharps and travelling through airports anyways.

30. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Passengers will also be allowed to board flights with some other items that are currently prohibited, including sticks used to play lacrosse, billiards and hockey, ski poles and as many as two golf clubs, Pistole said.

WOW! How generous of them!!!
    So, if on an international flight, which two would YOU take?
    HMMM?

31. Solo

Solo Tracker

Blog Posts:
  32. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks like TSA has now officially posted the guidelines. Confirms that the blade will be measured from tip to "where it meets the handle or hilt." Takes effect on April 25, 2013.

Knives:
    http://www.tsa.gov/pil-sharpobjects

Sporting equipment:
    http://www.tsa.gov/pil-sportequip

I don't own a knife that fits these criteria. My SAK Bantam is 3.5mm too long, my US knife is 4mm too long!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  33. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    OK, I'm completely baffled.

If you look here http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf/tsa_permitted_items_update.pdf they show, on two separate pages, a full-sized Swiss Army knife being indicated as being an allowed item. Now I don't know if they actually went out and found a SAK that had a blade < 6mm long or if they are just using it as a gestalt or placeholder and reduced it so that the blade length fit their little diagram. The problem with that is, if you look at the diagram hurriedly, you would think "Oh cool! I can take my SAK!" and then end up losing it because the blade length exceeds 6mm. Very, very poor work on this. I can't think of one full-sized SAK that has a blade length < 2 3/8".

And what is with the prohibition on the molded handles that they demonstrate in the diagram? Are they afraid that Al Queda is going to be fake-molding platic explosives onto small knife handles? How is a molded handle deadlier than a wooden one? And for that matter, why aren't the plastic scales of an SAK considered to be "molded?" They aren't cut and shaped.

This is some of the most poorly constructed government guidance that I've ever seen.

34. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Why no molded grips?? It's so freaking stupid it makes my head hurt.

35. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    I may have my sources confused but I believe it's in Gabe Suarez book on police use of the tactical carbine that he mentions a friend who is former Mossad.
    Said friend always carried a SAK, when teased about it his reply was "I've never met an eyeball that didn't think a Swiss Army knife wasn't a deadly weapon."

With that in mind I'll take whatever I can and will still have a couple sharpened pencils with me.

36. gloomhound

gloomhound Guide

Blog Posts:
    uhhh....

SAM_0004.jpg

37. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Are you showing what a 7 cm blade looks like?

38. Opportunist

Opportunist Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would take a

9 iron, and a Putter sheathed in a low capacity golf bag, with limited grain Nike Balls.

39. subierex

subierex Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think you know the answer to that one. Same people who want to regulate other things that look scary.

40. Bushcrawler

Bushcrawler Tracker

Blog Posts:
    SAK Scrutiny

I think the 6mm rule soley exist to rule out all SAKs. I just measured everyone of mine and they all fail by mere mm's. I'm going to take one of my US knives and grind it down to regs. But soon you'll see a rule that says no mods...

41. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking of doing that as well.

I used to have an old Victorinox Super Tinker that I lent out and someone snapped the tip off. I filed it down and used it for a few more years, then gave it away. I'm wishing that I still had it.

42. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    While that size of a knife could be handy to have for general cutting and lethal in the right hands, you guys can carry your tiny blades I'll carry my combat/fighting cane. Due to the ADA they cant touch that, except to xray it.

43. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    One thing's for certain....I own a lot of knives, but I (still) don't own a single one that the TSA will allow me to carry on a plane.