Turning butcher blades into bushcraft knives

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Moe M., Jul 4, 2011.

1. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone here toyed with turning old Green River and Old Hickory kitchen knives into serviceable bushcraft knives ?

2. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Do a search on Green river and Old hick knives. I know you will find hours of reading material.

A few members here have done a good few old hick mods, Trekon and Sgt. Mac would be the guys i would go to. They know a good bit of good stuff.

-Brandon

3. borumas

borumas Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Heck yeah! Converted an old skinner to a bushknife here:

[​IMG]

I recently did a new Old Hickory Skinner to a Nessmuk but I haven't got picks up yet, good knife so far from the little bit I've used it.

4. Ironwood

Ironwood Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here's one I shortened.

[​IMG]

5. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I thank everybody so far for your replies, after a lot of years of buckskining and period treking this bushcraft stuff is not such a big departure, but it does have it's differences, knives and other cutting tools being one of them.
    I've been experimenting with different one's trying to find what works best for me, I gone out with a camp axe and several of the suggested bigger bushcraft knives, the BK-2, a Ka-Bar, and the Gerber Prodigy, I've found that while handy, the camp axe adds more weight to my pack for what I get out of it, but a good folding saw works great and doesn't weigh any more than a med. fixed blade knife.
    I used to carry a longhuners knife and a hawk in my sash, and I'm fnding that, again, while handy for some chopping needs, the HD knives like the Beckker and the Gerber are a little thick in the blade for my liking, in going through some of my old stuff I came across a few American made Green River and two Old Hickory knives, while they aren't real pretty or tactical looking, they do have good blades, thick enough I think for most Bushcraft needs, yet light enough to do smaller cutting jobs a bit easier.
    So, I'm thinking of reworking one or two of them to see how they do for bushcraft knives, any Ideas would be gladly received.

6. Geneh

Geneh Scout

Blog Posts:
    ...not that you mention it... :) Last month I cut down a large Green River butcher knife. We broke a thumb-width chip out of it smacking it thru a branch. Knots are tough.

This blade is thin and IMO more suited to slicing than rough use. I'm having trouble getting the right angle on the edge so that it doesn't fold over right away. But oh what a slicer!

I used a dremel reinforced cut-off wheel with water running over it to keep it cool. Don't do this at home. :) Then used a file and sandpaper to cut the new edge on the tip.

Attached Files:

7. Adam

Adam Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to take an Old Hick or the like and make a PSK knife out of it. Once I get my other 92000 projects done. :D

8. Dross

Dross Guest

Blog Posts:
    So to answer your question in a word...yes.

9. mario

mario Scout

Blog Posts:
  10. Trent Rock

Trent Rock Scout

Blog Posts:
  11. mario

mario Scout

Blog Posts:
    Why so?

Mario

12. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Skab has done lots of mods to OH knives. He did a real nice Dogwood.

13. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think the standard Green Rivers make good field knives. I've carried and used them for years.

[​IMG]

14. bushwolf

bushwolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not to go too off topic, but of the three knives you mentioned, only the Becker BK2 is much of a bushcraft knife.
    The Gerber Prodigy isn't even close to what is considered a bushcraft knife, and the K-Bar, though a great all purpose field knife, is only marginal for many common bushcraft chores.
    The BK2 is a very good hard use knife, but it is best paired with a smaller blade like a BK11/BK13/BK14 or Mora.

Look into the Moras and other 3 to 4 inch scandis, combined with an axe and/or saw, they are much lighter, and better carvers and slicers than the knives you previously mentioned.

Green Rivers are great too though.

15. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Any knife can be a bushcraftin blade. As long as you are comfortable using it and it can do what you ask it to do then its your knife you use. Just because its a Gerber or a Kershaw doesnt mean its not a good blade to be used for bushcraftin.

ANY and all knife is a bushcraftin blade as long as you use it and it works for you. I use my Mora #1 classic and a pocket folder i got from my grandfather. They both work well for me and i wouldnt change that.

-Brandon

16. bushwolf

bushwolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Your right Branm008, any knife you are comfortable with and use eficiently is a good bushcraft knife.
    That said, trying to use a half serrated-rambo-tacticool-chinamart-stainless-POS just because you think it looks cool and you don't know any better dosn't make it a good bushcraft knife.

I'm done now, sorry for the thread hijack.

17. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ive actually just found my fathers old slipjoint trapper, trying to get it back in working order. Springs are still good but both have bent tips.

That being said, any blade you choose to buy or mod will suit your tastes just right regardless of the price, brand name, or where it was made; granted china made stuff is a bit on the iffy side nowadays.

-Brandon

18. borumas

borumas Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Honestly man, I think from your background you have been bushcrafting, don't let the "tacticool" and latest gadgets stuff make you think that you need all that stuff to be good outdoors. With your background you already know that our ancestors made plenty good with a lot less, more power to you though on the path to finding what works best for you in the woods, it is an interesting journey for sure.

I found just today from doing some shavings and feathersticks that my Old Hickory Nessmuk pales compared to the $12 Mora I got. That darn Mora whittled down some hard Ash wood and still shaved hair off my arm, could not say that about my Nessmuk. But I bet there are task the Nessmuk would outperform the Mora- just gotta keep testing and figuring it out for myself, this is what makes this stuff fun for me, to keep learning new things (I'm sure it's the same for most of us).

19. dragonjimm

dragonjimm Scout

Blog Posts:
    Heres one i did Canadian survival knife pattern from an Old Hickory Skinner. i also did a Nessmuk style blade

[​IMG]

20. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Spork also did a lot of good mods...his are what inspired me to do the ones I've done...
    PMZ

21. bawana

bawana Tracker

Blog Posts:
    These were all former butcher knives, nice old high carbon steel.
    [​IMG]

22. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    a couple I have done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

[​IMG]

And I have many more.

For the record, the Blade shape on several of these is untouched by me, just cut them down to size and added scales.

But they do everytihng I ask of them and I carry them any chance I get. I know Sgt. Mac daily carries the one I made for him.

23. Trent Rock

Trent Rock Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you want to learn about trade knives and knife history=
    Bernard Levine's Knife Collecting & Identification @ Bladeforums.com====>
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/205659-beavertail-dag-quot-trade-knives-quot?highlight=dexter

I can tell by the "FONT STYLE" on the handle
    It looks 1960's-70's to me
    But, I am no expert
    I have been "training" under Bernard Levine for about 4 years now, though
    He is my knife history Master Po
    [​IMG]
    I have learned quite a :dblthumb:lot from BRL

Is the guy who has the Picasso web page claim the knives are what he says they are? i.e. "1890's Plains Indians"
    Or is it a "representation" of the time period??
    Most of the fixed blades look like early 20th century butcher and steak knives to me.....
    Here is the one I am going to modify (someday!!)====>
    [​IMG]

24. bushwolf

bushwolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

And I have many more.

For the record, the Blade shape on several of these is untouched by me, just cut them down to size and added scales.

But they do everytihng I ask of them and I carry them any chance I get. I know Sgt. Mac daily carries the one I made for him.[/QUOTE]

Those are awesome!!! :dblthumb:
    The bottom two look like a more practical version of the TBT.

25. mario

mario Scout

Blog Posts:
    Interesting. I'll have to check it out. My area is the 18th century, not 19th.

No idea. The addy was passed on by a friend.

Mario

26. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Got it on right now and most every day