Twca Cam Hook Knife from Jarrod StoneDahl

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Sequoia Kid, May 31, 2013.

1. Sequoia Kid

Sequoia Kid Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hello All,

Just thought I show off the new hook tool I received last week from Jarrod StoneDahl, a woodworker in Wisconsin. This knife has a symmetrical blade design and is called a Twca Cam, which I think is welsh. Jarrod sells this knife, but it is made by smith named Kjetil Groven (he goes by KJ), and made to the specs of a british spoon maniac and genius named Barnaby Carder (he goes by Barn). I couldn't find much info on KJ, but since Jarrod supports him I trusted that his work was quality. Jarrod know what he's doing.

IMG_1453.jpg IMG_1454.jpg

Here it is with is new friends, my Svante Djarv axe, and my mora with the fancy birch bark sheath I made for it last night. The Cam comes without a handle, traditionally they are long handled tools so I made one out of a 12" piece of birch which works a dream.

IMG_1464.jpg

One of the things I really like about this knife is the shape of the bevel. It's a single bevel knife, which I prefer, and the bevel forms a continuous curve from the spine to the edge with a slight swell just above the middle.

IMG_1462.jpg

The shape of the bevel seems to follow the swoop of a cutting stroke perfectly. The result is very clean, smooth finishes.

If any of you are interested in this tool you can find it at Jarrod's website Woodspirit

Well, I hope you enjoyed this little look at a big hook tool.

Thanks for looking

~Oliver​

2. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a knife put together by Jarrod, we cross paths in the groups we belong too and such, Jarrod does nice work...have to see if I have a photo of it??? 102_3017.jpg Not sure who made the blade, the handle is birch and antler, the curve of the back of the handle fits my hand and pinkie finger just right.....knife I have carried hunting the past two years.....

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  3. Sequoia Kid

Sequoia Kid Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a nice knife mjh. Jarrod does great work, I have one of his spoons and eat with it everyday. He's skill set is amazing too, I'm in a group on facebook that he's a member of and the other day he said he's starting to build a birch bark canoe, his 8th I think.

Thanks for posting up that picture.

4. Schwert

Schwert Guide

Blog Posts:
    The twca cam is next on my list from Jarrod...I just this week ordered a crooked knife from him.

This big hook looks like a perfect efficient spoon hook.

More reports please. You have some exceptional hollow work with that. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  5. Sequoia Kid

Sequoia Kid Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been looking at his crooked knives, they look super nice, you'll have to let us know how you get on with it.

This one is very efficient once you get the feeling for it. The long handle makes it so much easier manipulate, much less tiring to use for me. The symmetrical curve of the blade makes a lot of sense to me as well.

Thanks for taking a look, and for your kind words my friend.

6. Schwert

Schwert Guide

Blog Posts:
    That very smooth and polished underside on the hook makes this look much like a Stubbs hook--supersized. The long fat handle has to make that super to use for a long time without cramping up the hand.

An old tool rediscovered....

What diameter of handle did you put on it?

7. Adahy

Adahy Kuksaholic

Blog Posts:
    Thats cool man. I've forged a couple of my own and had Dave Budd forge me a twca a long long time ago now. I actually sent that to alukban.
    Dave specializes in artifacts and ancient tools and turned me onto this. I think even before Ole Barny started using them to be honest. I didn't fully understand the tool at the time. There are also other versions where you have a shoulder strap and fulcrum off your neck. Cool stuff for sure.

Then I forged a couple under Matt's but I didn't like them. Mainly my fault.. I tried to alter some designs. I still have them.. they work alright but it wasn't my thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Then I made these specifically for kuksas. The hook is about the same size as your twca from
    Kjetil but I shortened the handle. Not sure what I'd call it.. its a hybrid. I also made a lefty.

Very cool to see more interest in these tools.

So when are you going to get bored of that sloyd axe??? 8)​

8. Schwert

Schwert Guide

Blog Posts:
  9. Adahy

Adahy Kuksaholic

Blog Posts:
    Those movies never get old. I love them

Watching Ion work is amazing. He really is one of the best spoon makers.

10. Sequoia Kid

Sequoia Kid Guide

Blog Posts:
    The handle I made is about an inch in diameter. It's much less tiring for me than regular sized handles because you turn your wrist instead of open/closing your hand, much bugger muscles used. :)

That middle Dave Budd is the one I bought off of you! Nice tool, but the big hook, big handle thing seems to be more comfortable for me. I'm still keeping that Budd in good condition though, don't worry. :)

Oh, and by the way, I'll never get tired of my wee baby axe, she's such a cutie.

Yeah, Ion's a machine. I'm surprised you can't see the smoke rising from his hands in the videos of him.

11. Adahy

Adahy Kuksaholic

Blog Posts:
    Thats right. I remember selling that to ya. To be honest this Twca cwm is an ancient tool but only until recently has it become known again. That's why there is little info on it.

The dave budd knife is really just a 'spoon knife'. That long handled tool I posted here on the bottom (Hazel handle) that's a twca. At the time I remember tell him. "I dont know what the heck that is... but you say you use it like an ice cream scoop meets..motorcycle throttle... I'm down!"

That was designed for deep hollowing and I'd imagine it'd be great for bowl turning as well. Fun stuff right?

I have no need for new axes but I really really want a couple more.. 'Cmon MAW lemme have another axe'

I want to be Ion when I grow up to be an old Romanian Gypsy carver. I even rock the same hat.

12. Sequoia Kid

Sequoia Kid Guide

Blog Posts:
    This coming from the guy holding the Ronnqvist waiting for the Svante viking. :9: