Unusual Items you've come across abandoned on trail.

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by econnofoot, Jul 24, 2011.

1. econnofoot

econnofoot Guest

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty avid backpacker and have spent tons of time doing Springer Mtn to Nantahala since I moved to SC. Kinda my hiking trip of choice aside from the Foothills Trail here in SC. was talking to an old Thru hiking friend other nite who recently had done Katahdin down to CT and we were talking about various things we've found abandoned by people along the AT. She one upped me on this, as mostly I've found 'true gear' cooking gear, water filters, bottles(lotta SS ones lately :)) Airmatresses/sleeping pads etc.

My friend came across a relatively small stuff sack which out of curiosity opened up finding certain battery powered 'massage device' and a slew of aa batteries. I asked her if she kept it to which she replied 'ewwwwwww no freaking way....I did keep the brick of batteries though....'

Anywho what's the oddest piece of 'gear' or item you've come across on a trail?

I've not had any 'weird' items like my friend.

2. golfer1555

golfer1555 Scout

Blog Posts:
    weirdest thing i ever found is a baby turtle in a plastic bag with some apples in it canoeing and the bag was completely sealed so i ponderd quite a bit how a baby turtle got in the bag

3. 8thsinner

8thsinner Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not come across much weird gear, just the usual I suppose, beer opened and not, compression bags, sleeping bags, backpacks usually small, tents, mre's, tins of beans, chairs, BBQ's, plastic sheets, water bottles, Gloves, cord and rope, tent pegs.
    And thats all in less than 10 trips out.

4. DancesWithaTrout

DancesWithaTrout Guest

Blog Posts:
    We seem to find antique tractors in very odd places.

Weirdest piece of gear would be an 1861 Civil War rifle leaning against a tree that the tree closed over the muzzle area and the ram rod was still in the muzzle, all the way down on an emptycap lock chamber. We cut that whole burl out of the tree and that is now on display in my gun shop. I often wondered if I should restore it, but have always decided not to, just for the sake of the oddity and its natural history. The rifle is in pretty bad shape rust and rot wise with maybe 75% metal and wood left. Stabilized the rot and rust, left it all on and display it as we found it.

We found it in Tenn, near our fam homestead and was private land. The tree was a very old knarly and much abused Oak, still alive though. We cut the burl out and had a tree surgen rair the area. The Oak is still alive today.

5. Ranger

Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wife and I found a dog collar and leash and a rolled marijuana joint on the side of a trail about 5 miles from nowhere a couple of weeks ago. Very strange! Never saw a K9 track or saw any evidence of recent human activity in the area either.

6. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I was hiking/flyfishing one of our local parks and found an enema bag with hose and "applicator" hanging about waist high from a tree.

Thats pretty weird. :26:

7. Adventure Sworn

Adventure Sworn Guide

Blog Posts:
    I guess it's strange in general, but not strange for the New England... I'll be miles off-trail in the woods and come across a random cast-iron woodstoves, half-buried by leaves & dirt. I also come across big stone foundations. In one of them there was a very old flashlight (60+ years old) that I found.

Coming across stuff like this isn't rare (this one was two miles down a trail, and then at least a mile off-trail). Makes you wonder what kind of life experiences past people had here.
    [​IMG]

I bet some kid found the turtle & tried to keep it in the bag, and fed it apples. He must have lost it afterwards... was the turtle ok?

8. DancesWithaTrout

DancesWithaTrout Guest

Blog Posts:
    I am sure it was used as a coffee or hot chocolate dispenser into camp cups.........LaLaLaLaLaLaLaLa....I can't hear you Josh LOL

On Second thought

I think I would move upstream w/o casting of that particular hole....On the stream that is :)

9. Whiskey

Whiskey Scout

Blog Posts:
    Around here, its your usual condom wrappers and beer cans. I did find a discarded Kansas City Royals T-shirt though... There is also an older piece of farm equipment I cannot ID.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. insector

insector Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Probably the wierdest was a moose calf hung up in a barb wire fence line that we had spooked............she just lay there in a coma.........then I clipped the wire and released her unharmed. She ran like a scalded dog back to her Mama who was making me real nervous by standing nearby in threat mode.................yeah, that was pretty wierd.........

I'm lucky I did not get moosed on that one

11. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Whiskey I want to say that's a shocker but something doesn't look just quite right for that. Apart from that it looks like a really overcomplicated bar mower. You can see where there was a reel above the cutter bar--most of that has rotted away and fallen off as the spokes for those were made of wood.

Most interesting item I've found was this:

[​IMG]

We left it as we found it.

12. Mr.Black

Mr.Black WILDEROXEN Tracker Pack #1 Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    tracks and marks of a BG fan...Saw it right off lol
    M/BK

13. GeorgeH

GeorgeH Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I stumbled across an old foundation in Greece (Corfu, IIRC) while staying out in the field. Just a few stones at ground level forming a few small rooms. The site overlooked the sea and I sat there trying to imagine what mundane activities took place in and around where I sat. One of the best nights I ever spent in the field.

14. justin_baker

justin_baker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Not weird, but cool. Full bicycle innertubes. I used it for various things.

15. Prof

Prof Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I think this is what's left of a binder. A binder is a wheat or oats harvesting machine that cuts grain and then ties it in bundles to be threshed later. Nowadays, cutting and threshing are done by one machine, the "combine!"

16. Mr.Black

Mr.Black WILDEROXEN Tracker Pack #1 Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    These were known but not to me light Bomber,B24 or 25 on Keller peak,and another light Bomber on San Gorgonio plus the Rescue copter that crashed on top of that the story goes.Lot of gear finds in the Training area enough to build a complete Airman lol
    Small Journal of life at a Cabin...nothing too weird that I can recall:3:
    M/BK

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  17. RangerXanatos

RangerXanatos Scout

Blog Posts:
    Part of an old derailed train in my back yard. Foundations of buildings I believe had something to do with the railroad or granite quarries.

18. Skrapmetal

Skrapmetal Scout

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately it's not as unusual as I wish it were... last year a buddy and I were hiking with his kids and came across a recently abandoned backpack containing the makings of a mobile methlab. Not sure if they heard us (we weren't being quiet at all with the young kids around) and split or not, but it hadn't been there very long at all.

A bit disconcerting to think that we could have run across someone in the middle of cooking that crap with the kids with us... God only knows how that would have played out.

19. remington79

remington79 Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's not unusual but I thought this was pretty cool to see last summer on one of my hikes. I was just up there last Sunday and it didn't survive the winter. I didn't think it would but no one has replaced it. I did find the flag pole about 20 yards away.

Attached Files:

20. remington79

remington79 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here's one you can see better.

Attached Files:

21. Muddy Paws

Muddy Paws Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have also found the solid latex version of what you were describing in what I thought was a deer bed in the middle of nowhere. Around 4 hour full on hike from any roads.

22. Gryphonblade

Gryphonblade Guide

Blog Posts:
    Saint George, UT, temporarily out of state (and mi
    I came across an old safe, shot full of holes. Just outside an old ghost town, it was pretty cool.

Dang, I need to go out in some of the place you other folks go! Sounds like a gear free-for-all!

I had friends who would go up on the local ski resort in the late spring to scavenge for ski gear: goggles, skis, poles, etc.

23. dixiefloater

dixiefloater Scout

Blog Posts:
    That is awesome!!!!!! you should check that area really good with a metal detector....No telling what might turn up.... makes you wonder if the soldier himself left it there.

24. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In the deepest darkest triple canopy jungle in Viet Nam we stumbled upon a complete house entirely constructed of bamboo over a tumbling little white water creek . It was entirely bamboo or split bamboo and resembled a cape cod type house with split bamboo floor . It had trapdoors in the floor for fishing or escape or whatever . It was not thatched yet and I assumed the owner was going to do that on his return .
    There was a note attached which read "please don't burn my house " so naturally the officers decided to burn it in case the owner was VC :25:

25. DCP

DCP Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not anything too strange, old foundations, old farming equipment that I can't identify.

Found an old two man cross cut saw by an old foundation, handles long rotted off.

Found this about 4 miles back in the woods, still can't figure out where it came from, can't see any point in someone carrying this back that far.

[​IMG]

26. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    A vintage axe mask left in the woods the year before.
    A knife stuck in a tree.
    Lots of vintage farm equipment.
    Woods dumps.
    Old foundations.
    Telegraph poles overgrown with an overstory of trees.

So not that weird, but I must say the stuffed T-rex sitting under a ledge on Devil's Pulpit, surveying the Gap, was a bit odd...somebody must have a quirky sense of humor! Else a child somewhere is crying for his Rex!

PMZ

27. Binalith

Binalith Scout

Blog Posts:
    found this just off the trail recently, originally posted here
    still have no idea what its original purpose is, really looks like a piece of a stove. so funny how i was thinking about how annoyed i was with myself for not getting my wood-gas stove running as nice as the ones i've seen here and on utube, and i looked at my feet and this thing was sitting there.
    i think the smaller hole in the top is a pivot for a cap, gotta be a stove or burner of some kind. notice the handles on the sides.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

28. 8thsinner

8thsinner Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Some older fire grates for larger houses look similar to that, not sure on the thickness mind, thickest I have seen is about 1/3"

29. forge1

forge1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey Brother!

That is (are) the remnants of a horse drawn combine. That was farmland at one time............Ross:4:

30. Dr. Redneck

Dr. Redneck Guide

Blog Posts:
    i found a bag of random items like lighters, flashlight and some clothes,gum, ciggaretes, batteries, and a few other things that were normal. not much weird stuff in the woods were i live

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  31. RevDoc

RevDoc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I find the most amazing things along the Missouri River.

I would have liked to have kept the colorful sign that said:

Cotton Panty Point
    Quit yer britches

32. Weltz4u

Weltz4u Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm very curios as to where at in TN you found this. I'm pretty big into Civil War history

33. SIXFOOTER

SIXFOOTER Guide

Blog Posts:
    Found this on the side of a mountain trail in Vermont, up by Burlington. It was a mile or so from the peak and at least 6 miles from anything that could have been a road
    [​IMG]

34. kcatto

kcatto Scout

Blog Posts:
    We found an old Harley Davidson half buried in a creek in bank silt when when I was about 15. My brother and I dug it out for nearly a week but we got it out and dragged it home....dad made us call the police (in case it was stolen etc...) long story short the detectives told us the bike and rider had vanished back in the mid seventies during a rain storm about 20 miles up river... We tried to locate the family or owners but to no avail, so we were allowed to sell it for parts.... we sold the whole bike for a kings ransom of $1000.00 (kings ransom to us at that age) needless to say it funded our new bows for hunting season and the rest of our summer hiking, camping... That was a great summer

35. remington79

remington79 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Also at the top of the peak where someone had put the American flag is the remains of an old fire watch tower. The top of the peak is about 2.5 miles of steep terrain from the trail head.

Attached Files:

36. sons of scotland

sons of scotland Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    seat/leaf springs from an old covered wagon

37. econnofoot

econnofoot Guest

Blog Posts:
    That's cool, a friend and I found Dodge Challenger back in the early 80's the guy whose property it's on let us salvage parts off it which at the time we didn't get much for. It'd be a gold mine now.

38. quidditchfan

quidditchfan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks like the rear drive cog from a bulldozer.

39. Friartuck

Friartuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I want to go where you're hiking, I've been wanting a SS water bottle for a while just have been too cheap to get one.

I never find anything good but my buddy is the hawkeye of the group. Once we were hiking around the powerline cut scouting a new airsoft field and he spotted a pair of the really expensive lineman's gloves. Earlier that day he found a pair of tactical gloves on our old airsoft field. They'd been out all winter but still in good condition, in fact he wore them this weekend.

40. rb

rb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ask her if it was in a blue velvet bag.... :8:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  41. mtngoat

mtngoat Scout

Blog Posts:
    Me and a buddy found a couple of naked dudes swimming in the creek one time. They had their backs to us, he saw long hair and took off down the hill. I stayed up on the ridge and proceeded to piss my self from laughter when he got to them and they turned around.

Backpacking gar for a week in the woods: $1000.00
    Food for the week: $100.00
    Watching a buddy roll up on 2 naked dudes: Priceless

42. mountainshadow

mountainshadow Scout

Blog Posts:
    Out in the desert near Casa Grande, AZ I found a round disk of copper with an eagle engraved on one side. It was about three inches in diameter and about half inch thick. I was about 10 or so at the time and showed it to my father. Never saw it again.

43. RangerXanatos

RangerXanatos Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here is a picture of part of the train in my pack yard.
    [​IMG]

And one of the many foundations.
    [​IMG]

44. Medius

Medius Scout

Blog Posts:
    Haha, where do you hike? I could come get myself a nice set of gear just out of what has been abandoned!

45. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Wood and iron "log sled" with a 8' oak growing up thru it.

Target drone from a army base about 50 miles away.
    Nosed into the swamp, few big bullet holes and of course a LOT of smaller ones....LOL, seems like the thing to do at the time.

But by far was a two and a half story house, with the parapets intact.

You would walk thru a real think stand of small pines/big pines mixed, and run right into this house.
    It that had sunk into a marsh, about 1/2 way of the first floor.
    Had to bend over to walk in, and the was only about 4 steps remaining to go to the second floor.

Story goes that some one had moved it there and just left it to sink, then the trees grew up around it till you couldn't see it till you were right up to it.

As we had quite a few "city girls" coming "up north" for vacation....we would pick them up and go "house haunting".
    Had several other houses as well, but this one really gave you the creeps

46. 1987Hillbilly

1987Hillbilly Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use my iPhone so I can't post pics but I've been to lost cove in North Carolina twice and I think it's pretty neat. Anyone in the east Tennessee area I would suggest you go. Just google it if you don't mind to check it out. Btw, best time to go imo is early spring or fall when plants and trees are fully grown to you can see more

47. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Scout

Blog Posts:
    One time out rabbit hunting I found a revolver that was completely rusted.

Other cool thing I found were some abandoned mines in ben lomond peak just north of Ogden, Utah that date from around 1900. We actually went up the wrong canyon and had to jump the ridge to get to the right one. On the top of the ridge we found a mine with some tamping bars in it. Then later further up the right one there is a mine that was abandoned due to a landslide. It had a water pump outside and inside was an overturned mining cart in chest deep frigid cold water. We went in the mine all the way to the back which was really cool because it had tracks and everything. Right at the back you could see the tamping holes where they were going to place dynamite before it was abandoned. We probably shouldn't have gone in there. All the walls had water leaking out of them and the wooden supports were so rotted that they flexed like jello. That and at a couple of spots you could see where parts of the ceiling had broken off. Still we got out alright and I will remember that forever.

48. xj35s

xj35s Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:

49. golfer1555

golfer1555 Scout

Blog Posts:
    ya it was i opened the bag and it instantly swam away

50. donk

donk Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    While hiking up out of Clifton Gorge, me and two other scouts started looking at each other like, man, was that you!?! Just around a bend, eye level on a rock shelf was the largest single human "deposit" with toilet paper I've ever seen. We gave as much distance as we could and kept hiking. Next week at Scout meeting we were laughing about it, and one kid fessed up. We'd been out 4 days and he was trying to make it back home without going for those 4 days but couldn't. EYE LEVEL! Come On!!!!
    Weird and disgusting.