USGI Alice Pack Waterproof Liner?

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by Twelve Moons, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Twelve Moons

Twelve Moons Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I recently heard about these and I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with them.

At $5, it sure beats the cost of most dry bags.

Are they totally waterproof, or just water resistant?
    Solid or flimsy construction?
    Etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. GrowlingBear

GrowlingBear Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you are talking about the military issue waterproof liners with the rubber lining, then yes they are. Those were about the only waterproof thing the army issued us other than ponchos and Goretex jackets.

3. Bushcraftgeek

Bushcraftgeek Guide

Blog Posts:
    The military ones are although if there new they have a rather bad smell to them and youd have to let them air out in hot weather for a bit to get rid of the smell dont hand wash them with hot water the glue or seal on the seam will come off just makes a mess.

4. NNY_Wanderer

NNY_Wanderer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The wet weather bags as we call them are pretty darn waterproof. You just need to "accordion" the top, tie and fold it over then tie again and they are pretty much water proof. I would suggest turning them inside out "rubber side out" if you are going to use them inside an ALICE pack. The hold onto the pack and allow you to take the contents out.

You may want to check the bag for small holes, and seal them with duct tape. These bags are pretty robust.

5. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I only ever used my issued one to protect the contractor weight trash bag I used as a dry bag.

In swim qual you are taught to WP everything in a zip lock bag, all the bags go into a trash bag which is inside of the issue wet weather bag. Only rarely did you find water inside of the issue dry bag. They stand up well. I just never trusted a single piece of gear when it came to having spare dry socks.

6. Yankee

Yankee Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just ordered a USGI dry bag and will use it in conjunction with a pack rain cover.
    I'll report on it if I ever get drenched or submerged. Either way, it's just a temporary
    means of keeping gear dry until I've figured out with liner I'd like to use regularly.
    I'm leaning strongly to SealLine bags mainly because of their modern design and their ability
    to be used as a flotation device if it was ever needed. Still have some research to do before
    I pull the trigger on anything that costly though.

7. Twelve Moons

Twelve Moons Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info, guys. Most appreciated!

As far as Sealine bags go, they are great, and they've kept my stuff very dry in some very harsh conditions, but as SR69 pointed out they're pricey.

I'm just looking for some inexpensive alternatives that aren't as disposable/wasteful as bin liners, ziplocks, etc.

8. TNCanoer

TNCanoer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    stneedham
    If You

buy one from a military surplus dealer, turn it upside down and stick your head in the bag and check it very close for holes by looking for daylight. Most of them I have checked have holes. I have used both contractor trash bags (doubled) as well as dry bags. Both have worked for me. Used to use my ALICE packs as canoe packs, now I use Duluth packs and a canvas FSS pack. The Duluth packs hold much more so the ALICE packs are now just taking up space. Might consider selling them if anyone is interested. I have two large and one medium with frames. Hope this helps.

9. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    we called 'em waterproof 'laundry bags' when I was in....

last time I bought some was a few years back - 3 for $15. they do patch well with a bike patch kit if you do have a pinhole or two.

we use 'em in our ALICE BOB's for the family. fantastic kit.

10. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
  11. Vipers

Vipers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I almost always went for the trash bag instead. It just allowed me better use of the space inside the ruck. The waterproof bag worked even with the occasional small hole but wasn't really sized to take advantage of the inside space. With most of my gear inside ziplock baggies inside that bag everything was good. The waterproof bag got used for the sleeping bag outside of the ruck.

If space isn't an issue with what you are putting inside the waterproof bag is a nice bit of kit.

12. bharen

bharen Guide

Blog Posts:
    Woods,

Yes they are, but they are old stock and were never really issued in great numbers. For a good reason. They are very lightweight and puncture easily. They are made lightweight ripstop nylon bonded to a thin rubber coating. Exquisitely made, but very light and fragile. They were normally issued as a set - one large bag for the main medium ALICE compartment and three smaller bags for the external pouches. I have a set and consider them more a collector's item than anything else.

The heavier weight (and current issue) USGI waterproof bag is great, but I would not buy one that is used. The main reason used ones find their way onto the surplus market is because they developed leaks. When turning in field gear as part of the installation clearance process your issued waterproof bag was inspected for any leaks -pin holes, tears, etc. If any were found the bag was tossed into a 'reject' bin and hauled off to DRMO for sale as surplus waste.

If you can find them new in the bag (and at a good price) then they are a great deal. And of course, the M1A1 Bag, Trash, Black In Color (i.e., heavy duty contractor or lawn and leaf trash bag) works great too.

13. Yankee

Yankee Scout

Blog Posts:
    Got both my "hard to find" Woodland Rain Cover and my Size 2 USGI Liner.
    I checked the liner for any obvious holes, but didn't see any.

I've decided to not spray my pack with any type of waterproofing sprays,
    but I will give the rain cover a coating just for that little "extra" barrier.

Best part, I got the cover for about $8. and the liner for $5. Not bad.
    Now, I can take my time in looking for a high quality interior dry bag
    and continue to acquire waterproof cases for my exterior pouches
    and a nice big one for the interior for things like fire kits, books, etc...

Will have pics up in a week or 2. My Hellcat is "Under Re-Construction".

:)