Verdict on the HF wool Blanket

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by Thunderwood, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Thunderwood

Thunderwood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Every now and again you find that budget piece of kit that is outstanding in value and performance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is not the case....

No suprise. Picked up my wool blanket at my local harbor freight a couple weeks ago. $12 out the door. I used it in tandem with a fleece sleeping bag at a campout in my hammock. Itchy.... to the point that my eyes burned just sleeping in it.... the smell was bad too.

I'm gonna keep it in the trunk of my car for emergencies.That's about as far I can see myself using it. You get what you pay for. I do believe the intended use for such blanket is for covering furniture when moving.

I'm not trying to bash HF. I just wanted to let anyone considering it know that they shoud look elsewhere for a blanket.

Cheers,
    Justin

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WILL, central joe, Tiwaz and 16 others like this.
  2. doulos

doulos Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good to know. I'd try having it cleaned to see if that helped.

Thunderwood likes this.
  3. bodhran4me

bodhran4me Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Try clening and hanging it outside to air out. I recall something bout washing with lanolin to help get rid of the itch.

Thunderwood likes this.
  4. DKR

DKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    "keep away from heat and flames"

Doesn't sound like there is a lot of wool in that wool blanket.

Huey and Thunderwood like this.
  5. 2stoves

2stoves Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of them that I keep in my truck & car. The smell pretty bad but once I washed them on the hand wash cycle of the washing machine 3 times with fabric softener all three times then hung them outside for about a week in the rain and sunshine, they are now soft and the smell is gone.

They are not by any means a top quality wool item but they, IMO, are perfect for something I can toss behind the seat.

Thunderwood likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not sure surplus stores will provide any thing better ,
    but it's worth the investment one way or another .
    I have several old ones from the 50s , a little thin by comparison probably due to washing through the years.
    Some things must be considered expendable ,for emergency reasons. So having a blanket you can hand some one ,it is likely you won't get back is a good investment, along with space blankets too .
    A note ,
    If you have the opportunity ,it is a good idea to have blankets and things like that in a vacuum bag both a-surety of being dry, and also bug free and more compact in space.

caoutdoorsman and Thunderwood like this.
  7. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It will burn. I use a scrap in my cook kit to pick up my grease pot. It will have the occassional burn when the non wool fibers catch fire.

cheers

Thunderwood likes this.
  8. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just bought a frost river blanket. It's cost 120.00 but it's so comfortable. I litterally had 0 itch. My wife wants me to wash it in hair conditioner. To soften it even more. But that's against my woodsmen laws

Thunderwood likes this.
  9. motman241

motman241 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    No, they sell moving blankets that are cheaper and better quality. :)

Edit to add that the 72" X 80" moving blankets are quite heavy and warm. They are on sale here for $5.99 (I think it was).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  10. Thunderwood

Thunderwood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well....in my defense the tag does say "haul master." [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BEARS BUDDY likes this.
  11. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about the wool blanket but the covering on the moving blankets wears away quickly I bought one to cover the back of my SUV from my dirty dogs and within 2 months the stuffing was showing through the covering.

Thunderwood likes this.
  12. central joe

central joe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've had one a few years. You need to wash it and use hair conditioner on it, let it soak a while. Air dry and you may have to repeat the process. No it isn't a high dollar wool blanket, but comfortable into low 50's high 40's. This depends on your sensitivity to cold or how you dress for the night. Mine is in my bedroll ready to go. Mine now smells like wood smoke. If the smell bothers you lightly!!!! spray a scent pleasing to you on it. I think once washed and air dried you will be surprised. Hope this helps. joe

drobs, Tiwaz, Cheapeats and 2 others like this.
  13. MHW

MHW Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Really, I must beg to differ--I kinda like 'em. I have a few. They vary in quality. (hairiness, itchiness). They aren't tightly woven, but are fairly fluffy, and under something more wind-proof are nice and warm, and not too heavy. I don't mind carrying one, which I do mind with the "better" blankets. I use one usually when it's quite cold, inside either a bigger better blanket (if I don't have to carry that far) or inside the cheap-o sleeping bag. My real objection to them, is that they aren't quite big enough. I can fold one over and under me, but not really wrap up.
    I will make the disclaimer that I don't like the slippery feeling of the sleeping bag, and would prefer the itchy wool. But for what it's worth, my beloved spouse, who usually complains about itchy sweaters, has one on the bed.
    And, frankly, if you do burn a hole in it, it's no great loss.

drobs, Cheapeats and geneaut like this.
  14. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You might try airing the HF bl
    You might also try airing the HF blanket in the sun for a few days...

Thunderwood likes this.
  15. BFH

BFH Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Mine has gotten me through a few cold nights in the woods. It's a cheap beater blanket. I have a expensive US made 100% wool blanket but I don't use it for camping. I usually bring the HF and a 70% surplus knock off.

Thunderwood likes this.
  16. geneaut

geneaut Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought one of these a few years ago just to test my toes in the wool waters. I came to the following conclusions/observations:

1. For the then $9 I spent on it I feel got my money's worth. 'Money's worth' is the key phrase.
    2. A good room temp tub soak in a nice smelling shampoo, and then letting it air dry outside for a week cuts down on the odor. I also have happened upon using the Eucalan wool wash and that has helped a number of other wool blankets in my collection, and it has the added benefit of having lanolin in it.
    3. It has a loose weave compared to all the milsurp blankets I purchased after this one. Hold this up to a light source compared to another wool blanket and compare.
    4. It hasn't been the smelliest wool blanket I've ever bought ( Bulgarian surplus FTW ). It also hasn't been the itchiest, but it was close.
    5. I would have rated it low to mid 50s used alone.
    6. It isn't the worst wool blanket from a warmth standpoint I've ever bought. I have another Indian ( subcontinent ) wool blend blanket that is far cooler even though it is heavier ( very low loft on the other blanket ).
    7. At some point I relegated this to using as an overcover for other insulation. In that role it was nice. Toss over a 30 degree sleeping bag when you are camping in the teens for example. I like sleeping with my head covered outdoors and this blanket with the loose weave worked wonderful in that capacity.
    8. Eventually I got enough other wool blankets that I turned the HF into a sleeping bag by sewing a fleece liner onto it as the inside layer. That combo is heavy, thick, and very warm. That ended up being the best $15 sleeping bag I've ever owned. I'm thinking about sewing a canvas drop cloth up as an over cover for the whole thing and having a DIY poor man's bedroll.

Would I purchase again ? Whenever I get one of the HF 20% coupons I bang the idea around in my head to get one and turn it into an anorak, or to leave in the trunk of our vehicles. I will eventually pull the trigger on a few more just for stuff like that unless I find another inexpensive wool blanket source.

My ultimate conclusion is that a $10 wool blanket is better than no wool blanket, but a decent $20-$30 milsurp wool blanket typically is worth the extra cost for 'real' use. If you like projects like I do it might be worth the money to use the HF blanket as a starting point.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  17. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Generally - You get what you pay for. Ok for emergency blankets, car, vehicles, picnics, etc. Not a blanket that serves well in the field. I have a few of these I used to make wool anoraks from, and they were pretty terrible. Not exactly earth shattering news as I'm certain everyone else shares the same sentiments.

hunter63, geneaut and Thunderwood like this.
  18. BEARS BUDDY

BEARS BUDDY Scout

Blog Posts:
    Have a HF wool blanket I bought after reading first part of this thread. I use in on the old mattress in my van. The mattress is covered in heavy plastic as it was made for a hospital bed. The blanket is between the sheet and the plastic mattress ticking and makes it possible to sleep without that sticky feeling you get from sleeping on plastic. For some reason the blanket did not have a strong odor even though it came in a sealed plastic bag. I just folded it double and spread the sheet over it. While it is not really bushcrafty, it gets me out to the woods and waters around here. The old back usually cannot take sleeping on the ground any more, even with boughs and leaves for padding.

geneaut, Skotelawe and Thunderwood like this.
  19. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    They keep making them and people keep buying them.....
    My first cheapo wool was from Sportsman Guide....Milsup don't remember what country.

First couple, we used at a Rondy...just getting started, money was tight.....
    Memorial day that year was very cold in a tent....we about froze...
    Next morning walked over to a trader (vendor) and bought 2 . HB 6 Point Blankets...

And never looked back.......no smell (do what you want it will always be there), no itch, warm as all get out and a favorite for everyday use.

Eventually people will figure out the being warm,..... for 1/3 the cost of their cell phone that needs upgrading every year or so...where th blankets will out last you.
    Hit the flame button of you want....but you will come to find out I am not leading you astray.........IMHO

Keif, Thunderwood and blind & lost like this.
  20. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you get what you pay for so the trick is finding a balance between cost and quality. I went with the rothco European style wool blanket. While I wish I had a $100 blanket the rothco has served me well.

Sent from my A462C using Tapatalk

geneaut, Thunderwood and hunter63 like this.
  21. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Bingo......

freebirdfb and Thunderwood like this.
  22. TX_redneck

TX_redneck Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I recently picked up a WWII British woolie at Goodwill for $7.
    To be honest, I will hit about three or four Goodwills on saturdays.
    Sometimes I find something, sometimes I don't.
    Just a few other finds:
    SS canteen cup, 1.99
    Emergency Orange tarp 10x10, 3.99
    Coyote pelt, 2.99 (Im thinking an arrow quiver)
    Petzl headlamp with white and red lenses, 4.99

You never know

Thunderwood likes this.
  23. RJM52

RJM52 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Having shopped HF quite a bit when the label says "HaulMaster" and line #2 said "KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN" my guess it was made with the cheapest material possible not for sleeping in but to keep things from being scratched.
    ...and anyone ever wonder what the "smell" might be...as in what chemicals....

Bob

Thunderwood likes this.
  24. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have one of those blankets that was bought for padding furniture. But on a late fall camping trip it made a great insulator on the floor of the tent. Didn't need to worry about damaging or dirtying a more valuable blanket.

Thunderwood likes this.
  25. HP500

HP500 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used a HF wool blanket for practice to make an anorak. It turned out pretty good and for about $6 with coupons I didn't care if I ruined it. I'll try to post a pic later.

Thunderwood likes this.
  26. Brown85

Brown85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    You could try this: Wool blanket mod.

I used that combination down into the mid 30's on a trip last year. I wasn't super warm, but I didn't freeze either. No sleeping pad btw, just a ground sheet.

Thunderwood likes this.
  27. Rumblebuffin

Rumblebuffin Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hmm... Very interesting!!! This is a project that I've begun contemplating myself! I'm curious... How washable is this set-up, or have you ever had cause to try? Also, what liner did you use for this project, if I may ask?

Thanks!

28. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I think it is a well know fact that a HF blanket suxs. I got one hung it out side for a week to air out. Now it is a is cut up into various thing. But not it is not fire retardant like a true wool blanket. Some of the fibers will burn.

cheers

29. Urban Wood.

Urban Wood. Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I bought one with a 20% off coupon and, with the addition of a little extra fabric i had lying around, am in the process of making a darn fine anorak. IMG_1524.JPG

CHIPPS09, drobs, Broke and 1 other person like this.
  30. geneaut

geneaut Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've never washed it yet so I don't know about that aspect of it.

The liner is actually 2 of those little 50"X60" fleece throw blankets you can find for $3 different places.

Rumblebuffin likes this.
  31. Rumblebuffin

Rumblebuffin Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! Thanks for the info!

32. drobs

drobs Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 of the HF Wool Blankets. Keep one in each vehicle. For the price, they actually have a decent wool percentage (80% wool 20% polyester) as compared to other blankets out there.

60 In. x 80 In. Wool Blend Blanket

They did stink - I think leaving them in the car mellowed them out.

33. Plank Walker

Plank Walker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've had a HF Wool Blanket for about 2 years now. I picked it up as a cheap intro to wool blankets. I didn't want to risk the chance of ruining an expensive wool blanket as I gained experience. For the price I could do what I want with it and not think twice. So far it's been holding up.

Yes, it did have an odor to it. I put it through my washing machine (something I would not do if it were a true wool blanket) and let it hang out in the sun for a couple days. That did seem to help. After a couple camping trips the smell is almost unnoticeable.
    It is a bit itchy when it makes contact with skin. I don't normally take the HF blanket as my only option. My mil surplus poncho liner is normally wrapped up inside of it. When out with just the blankets I wrap myself in the liner first and then the HF blanket. Solves the itch problem. This combo has kept me comfortably warm during cool summer nights.

I'll probably upgrade to a proper wool blanket someday, but for now the HF is meeting my needs.

HP500 and geneaut like this.
  34. HP500

HP500 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm doing some winter camping this weekend and I'll probably use a HF blanket when around the campfire to protect my clothing against embers. For the $7 I paid for it, I'm not worried about it staying in immaculate condition.

geneaut likes this.