Voltaren

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by Flint_2016, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    The last three years or more I've been treated for back and leg pain including shots in my back,NSAID's like Tramadol,and Norco(basically Vicodin).All of them have only reduced the pain,not ridded me of it altogether.The pain has affected me mentally as well as it has caused mental and emotional grief because I can't do the things I used to like,such as hiking,camping,gathering firewood,or general labor of love tasks at the campsite,not to mention loosing my job over it.My insurance stinks,not allowing anymore shots due to the crappy coverage.But one medication(prescription only I believe)that works rather well for me is Voltaren(topical ointment).My wife is prescribed it,not me,but she's allowed me to use it when I was especially sore,like when I came home from my most recent camping trip.Before the trip I said the hell with it I'm going regardless of my handicap.In the near future I have an appointment with my pain management doctor and would like to get Voltaren.I mention this here in the Bush Medicine section because others out there may not have heard of it,need it,or would want to keep it in their FAK.I have both bulging discs,and arthritis,for some time now,the leg pain just started out of nowhere seemingly,a month ago.I'm due for new insurance coverage at the beginning of the year,hopefully being better than Coventry.It is an OTC medication but I never came across it at a supermarket yet.It's available on ebay,so I expect it's available at the chains like RiteAid,etc.(For some reason on ebay,it's available from Europe,and Australia.)
    GENUINE Voltaren Osteo Gel 75g | eBay

2. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:

3. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    As far as I know it's not OTC! Unless yours is different than mine? I can't live without that stuff! I tend to use it faster than the script should last! Right now it's the savior for my knee till after deer season. Then I'm trying PRP shots (platelet rich plasma and stem cells)

Crazysanman, Flint_2016 and Pharmer like this.
  4. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Voltaren isn't otc in the US. In other countries you can get some medications that are prescription here over the counter. I'd be leary about buying medications online regardless of the source and or using prescription or other medications without the advice of your physician.

Mr. Tettnanger and Flint_2016 like this.
  5. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just checked my tube says RX right on it, 100 gram tubes

Flint_2016 likes this.
  6. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah,leary is right.Besides,with my wife's copay,it's only $2.95 for two tubes.I just didn't want to keep using hers.Hopefully my doctor will prescribe it for me,my copay will be the same.The heck with paying what the high cost online which could as you say be questionable

Pharmer likes this.
  7. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't know how old you are but I'm 62 and not getting any younger.It's a bummer when us outdoorsmen have to deal with the aches and pains that limit what we like to do.I worked in the strip mines of PA. for 18 years,was a landcaper for another 5 or 6,and waste management(trash removal)for the last three years.I worked in huge freezers for Wegmans Retail Center which I believe took a toll on my arthritis.I was laid off because I couldn't do it anymore,them having nothing else for me to do.Just a thing you have to accept.The funny thing is I thought working in a 0 F freezer would condition me for winter weather camping,but it seemed to have an opposite effect.

Pharmer likes this.
  8. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    58 and riddled with tendonitis ( elbow and shoulder). Torn mimiscus in right knee, left knee had miniscus tear and surgery 10 yrs ago, no relief. Sync visk shots three times in that knee, some relief ( 6months for each series of shots) no relief on the last set of shots! Was a mechanic for 10 yrs, worked outdoors in all weather repairing big rigs, ran a home improvement business for 4'yrs, hung a load of sheet rock and spread a ton of mud, throw in sanding and painting and being foolish in my youth and that explains my issues. This will be the first year in 44 yrs that I might not be able to hunt. Wearing a tommy copper helps and if I take it slow I think I can do at least the first 2 days of muzzle loader maybe even a few more! Going to do the PRP right after Christmas 8 weeks after that I'm off to Cabo won't be doing any scuba as I will still be recovering. Praying for the best!

Flint_2016 likes this.
  9. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pain management physician gave me nerve root block(a couple shots in the lower spinal region)for cervical spondylosis,in addition to two tubes of Voltatren and a script for Norco.The shot targeted my left leg where pain and stiffness is,troubling me for a month now.Now there's a pins and needles sensation where the pain was and down into my foot.Not serious,should wear off soon.The Voltaren thank God did not require a script.Now that I'm 62 and not getting any younger I'm gonna have to bear with the condition.But it so far hasn't totally kept me from hiking and camping,but I can't do what I used to be able to do unfortunately.
    What is cervical spondylosis?
    Spondylosis is a general term for degeneration of the spine as a person ages. Cervical spondylosis, then, is a degenerative condition that affects the vertebrae and soft tissues in the cervical portion of the spine (the neck).

When people get older, they start to lose moisture and elasticity in the soft tissues of the back: tendons, ligaments and especially the gel-filled cartilage pads (discs) that act as cushions between vertebrae. As these discs dry out, they become more fragile, and cracks and fissures can form. If the discs become damaged enough, conditions like disc herniation and degenerative disc disease can develop.

Spondylosis also usually involves the wearing away of cartilage around spinal joints. Early in life, these joints are wrapped in protective membranes of cartilage to keep the bones of the joint from grinding against each other. Once that protective layer is worn, these bones can easily sustain damage. As the bones try to repair themselves, they can develop osteophytes, also known as bone spurs, which are abnormal protrusions from the bone.

How does cervical spondylosis cause radiculopathy?
    Like the word spondylosis, radiculopathy is a catch-all term for a general condition. Radiculopathy is the medical term for the pain and other symptoms resulting from a compressed nerve root. For example, sciatica is a well-known form of radiculopathy that affects the lower back and the legs, and it is caused by the compression of nerve roots connected to the sciatic nerve in the lumbar spine (lower back).

As the discs and bones in the cervical spine degenerate, they can also cause compression to nerve roots. This can be due to the fluid from a prolapsed disc putting pressure on a nerve, or from a condition called spinal stenosis, in which the spinal column actually narrows. Bone spurs also cause pressure on nerves as bones begin to intrude in places where they were not meant to be.

People with radiculopathy from cervical spondylosis may experience stiffness and pain in their necks, tingling or numbness in their shoulders or arms or pain in their shoulders, arms and chests. These symptoms may get better with exercise and usually respond to prescription or over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain killing medications.
    n't require a prescription.

10. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I am going to look into Voltaren. Thanks for posting this.

I have herniated L5-4 and L4-3 discs in my back that pinch S2 and cause sciatic pain all the way down my leg. Walking hurts my back but standing still is worse. It's hard to find a chair that I can sit in without pain. It's been pure hell since I was injured at work a year and a half ago.

Flint_2016 likes this.
  11. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Any pain's a bitch,but back/leg pain even worse if you ask me.Between my pain meds,shots(especially them),and Voltaren I'm in better shape.

12. haunted

haunted Scout

Blog Posts:
    doesnt work for me............................

13. teaguzzler

teaguzzler Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. haunted

haunted Scout

Blog Posts:
    thats my life ...pain and no docs to prescribe things that might help (thanks all you drugged out twits)

15. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    It seems all us guys who did alot of manual labor throughout our"work years"are the one's with the conditions.And you wonder why women outlive men.LOL With being a landscaper,and coal miner in my days,it caught up with me,but I refuse to give in.Reminds me of a song by Toby Keith "As Good As I Once Was"

She said I've seen you in here before,
    I said I've been here a time or two,
    She said hello my name is Bobbi Jo
    Meet my twin sister Betty Lou
    And we're both feeling kinda wild tonight,
    You're the only cowboy in this place,
    If your up for a rodeo,
    I'll put a big Texas smile on your face.

I said girls,
    I ain't as good as I once was,
    I got a few years on me now,
    But there was a time,
    Back in my prime,
    When I could really lay it down,
    If you need some love tonight,
    Then I might have just enough,
    I ain't as good once was,
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.

I still hang out with my best friend Dave,
    I've known him since we were kids at school.
    Last night he had a few shots,
    Got in a tight spot
    Hustling a game of pool,
    With a couple of red neck boys,
    And one great big fat biker man,
    I heard David yell across the room,
    Hey Buddy how bout a helping hand.

I said Dave!
    My how the years have flown,
    But there was a time,
    Back in my prime,
    When I could really hold my own,
    But if you want a fight tonight,
    Guess those boys don't look all that tough,
    I ain't as good once was,

I used to be hell on wheels,
    Back when I was a younger man
    Now my body says "Oh, You can't do this boy",
    But my pride says "Oh yes you can"

That's just the cold, hard truth,(huh)
    I still throw a few back,
    Talk a little smack,
    When I'm feeling bullet proof,
    So don't double, dog dare me now,
    Cause I'd have to call your bluff,
    I ain't as good as I once once was,

May not be good as I once was,
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was

Songwriters

Read more: Toby Keith - As Good As I Once Was Lyrics | MetroLyrics

16. MWalker

MWalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I damaged some disks in my lower back several years ago. Incapacitating nerve pain through my lower back and legs. Typical pain meds don't seem to do a damn thing for me. Trying to find something to help I read an article about nicotine being used for some kinds of nerve pain. I bought some dermal patches to try it out. It was amazing. With the patch it was like there never was a problem. I have gotten my back to a state where it is not to terrible, so I don't use them anymore, but it might be worth trying provided you don't already smoke.

17. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My wife uses Voltaren gel for her arthritis, mainly on her ankles and lower legs. It's prescription medication, but her doc prescribes her three tubes at a time. With our insurance, it costs about $4 per refill. The oral equivalent is called Diclofenac, but doesn't work as well for her. Even though I've used her Voltarin, I can't stand the lovely aroma of that stuff. Thank heaven it dissipates quickly.

I take Tramadol daily, and luckily, it works well for me.

Steve

18. DarrylM

DarrylM Scout

Blog Posts:
    My hunny has a long list of pain and complications, I like the idea of a topical relief, to supplement her current pharmacy. Thamks for sharing.

19. ScoutDoc

ScoutDoc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good posts - I'm new to the forums and exploring the medical stuff...

And not trying to overstep my boundaries, but As a family doc, I have written many prescriptions for topical diclofenac (Voltaren gel) and tried to use it for patients who had areas that would be more likely to respond to this absorbed anti inflammatory (knees, hands, etc.). I don't believe Voltaren would likely help a deeper pain (i.e. sciatica originating from disc and or nerve problems), though YMMV. And pain management docs - that is their department for sure.

That being said, some patients find it works extremely well (and yes, it's prescription only in the States). Many patients find it does NOT work "at all". I've seen it to be all or nothing.

Another med that often falls into this non-pill / non-opioid/narcotic is lidocaine, available as a gel or ointment, as well as a flexible patch. Prescription only. Rarely, folks have allergies to lidocaine so important to verify. It numbs, rather than affecting inflammation per se.

Capsaicin cream (this can be OTC) has some good data about treating pain specifically related to osteoarthritis of the knees (but might help other joints too). It can cause burning sensation which can be unpleasant, but is more "natural" in some folks eyes. And don't get it near your eyes for sure!

This is not medical advice, just $0.02 on use of Voltaren...