walmart hammock review.

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by zeus1gdsm, Jun 20, 2013.

1. zeus1gdsm

zeus1gdsm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Short answer : I'm loving it.. bought this due to Walmart great return policy for a camping trip to the st. Lawrence river...

Comes in at $25 bucks with decent elasto rope and nice screw shut carbiner knockoffs...

Granted u can get others on ebaY for 15 bucks.. no one returns like Walmart...

Details: called the "equip" travel hammock. I have only seen this in a bright blue.. in the camping chair section..

Bottom line: holds my 300lbs plus a 30 lb kid. Loving it.. glad I bought it. And if you don't get the hammock fever... return it. :)

Cheers.

2. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This was my first hammock. I've since been bitten by the hammock bug and upgraded to a Warbonnet Blackbird, but I still enjoy my Equip hammock.

I tossed the stock suspension in favor of amsteel whoopie slings which made it much easier to set up and more versatile. Damn thing is very strong, I was at 300lbs as well when I got mine, never had a problem.

[​IMG]

3. JimBow

JimBow Guide

Blog Posts:
    good info! thanks for sharing...

4. nymtber

nymtber Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Walmart near me had two on clearance when I was there Sunday. I will be there tomorrow before going camping at Letchworth State Park for a week, if they have one left, I will pick it up! Of course if I get one and have it set up, I have this feeling I will be fighting my dad's girlfriend's daughter for it (shes 7). I had been looking into these, and marked down to $20 I think they are a good deal. I hope they have one still. Might even grab both if they are still there.

5. dryheat

dryheat Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My neighborhood walmart doesn't have these. I have been making due with a big lots cotton beach hammock. It's kind of short but holds my weight (too damn much of it) well enough. It's fun to lounge in but can't manage to sleep in it.

6. TSisk2

TSisk2 Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I bought one about a week ago due to preparedmind101's recommendation. I have never laid in a hammock much less slept in one. I haven't set it up yet, but will get it up tomorrow and try it out. Let ya know a virgins view point.

7. bushwolf

bushwolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have one too, it works great for me.

8. TheyCallMe Ike

TheyCallMe Ike Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been considering grabbing one of these so that my girlfriend has one too. Normally if we go camping together, we use a tent because she won't sleep in the hammock with me lol... thanks for the review. I was wondering if it was a quality hammock. I just really hate that blue...

9. jonny_utah

jonny_utah Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's a Grand Trunk. Pretty good hammock, I have one. I used it last weekend. I would recommend that you replce those "S" hooks with Carabiners. They aren't the strongest things in the world. I found this out the hard way. Overall though, I'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars. It does what it says it does and its relatively cheap. And if you are a big boy like me, it will hold. Provided you replace those "S" hooks. :)

If you want to give hammock camping a shot I'd say go for it. If they don't have it at your local Wally World here's a link. http://www.walmart.com/ip/UltraLight-Portable-Travel-Hammock/17469213

I use the ENO Atlas straps. Super easy to setup and rated to #400 for the pair. http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/AST001.html

You are ready to go for about $50, and it sets up in literally 5 minutes. If you find its not for you, sell it on fleabay.

EDIT: or sell it here on the forum. :)

10. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't care for the bright blue either. I tried to turn it dark brown-ish it with some RIT dye, but it is COMPLETELY impervious to dye. Not even the stitching took the color, the only thing that slightly changed shade was the silk-screen lettering on the stuff sack.

11. Soilman

Soilman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I bought one a while back too. I've took some right restful naps in it on sunday afternoons! Worth the price, in my opinion.

12. Murphnuge

Murphnuge Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad to hear these hold some weight. That's the only thing I was really hesitant about. May have to pick up a couple for some people I'm trying to convert.

13. bigfoots

bigfoots Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I bought one of these hammocks last summer and am pretty happy with it! Im 6'4" 240lbs and have plenty of room to stretch out in it.The only 2 problems I have with it are the blue color and those screw close biners,Ive had to use my multitool to open them a couple times. I sewed a 3/4 length zipper and some green bug mesh so I have a poor mans jungle hammock(if your in a blue jungle your good to go).I did see a similar hammock in another walmart that was OD green so im gonna check that one out.

14. BlakeW5

BlakeW5 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Was actually just about to post a review of this myself. Bought one a few days ago for a trip to colorado and gave it a try today. Pretty impressed with it for the price. Sure beats the crap out of the folding "camp hammock" I bought years ago. Thing was great, just the folding frame made it heavy to say the least

15. zeus1gdsm

zeus1gdsm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I'm 6'2 definitely reccomend it for someone unsure about hammocking... its sold me.

16. Loogaroo

Loogaroo BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just got one tonight for giggles. It is really a large hammock! Very surprised by it.
    The clips seem cheap - replace for sure
    The stuff sack is a bit small - I replaced with one Wally World sold
    The blue - Yeah well, we cant do anything about that.

Can't wait to try it out.

17. senttient

senttient Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I cant remember where i got mine but it was by far the best sleep I have ever had in the woods.

18. Mountain_Matt

Mountain_Matt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You talked me into it. Got it a few hours ago for $19 and change. Hopefully I'll get it hung tomorrow. My first hammock.

19. zeus1gdsm

zeus1gdsm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Y'all won't regret it... I put some eye ring bolts into the studs in the living room... after the kiddos go to bed. I'm swinging...... yes the ropes are crappy yes the swivel is crap... but they haven't snapped on me yet.. I use ratchet straps outside.... I am looking at new rigging from arrowhead equipment.

20. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Campmor has a Grand Trunk Ultralight for $20 plus shipping. I got one and it's forest green. So far, I've just set it up in the backyard but it holds me O.K. I weigh about 200.

21. Aven

Aven Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    zeus1gdsm, I hope you are using corner studs that are reinforced. Studs in the middle of a wall were never meant to take lateral pressure.

22. Loogaroo

Loogaroo BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The material doesn't breathe as much as some of the other hammocks like the ENO brand. This could be good and bad I suppose. It was comfortable though.

23. zeus1gdsm

zeus1gdsm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    One is interior corner. Other is 2nd stud out exterior wall.. house is built in the 20's.. uses true 2x4s ( meaning they are bit wider and thicker than what I always end up with from Lowes)). typically doubled.. couldn't believe it when I took down an interior wall

Also of note.. walls are only about 9 feet apart.. with the length of hang I use in this small footage it seems to be a more vertical then horizontal draw on the eye hole. If it pulls out the stud it will give me and excuse to take down the lathe and plaster in this part of the house and insulate the living room.

Either way I am not too concerned.. but I appreciate the advice

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  24. TheyCallMe Ike

TheyCallMe Ike Scout

Blog Posts:
    Interesting to know. I guess for winter, that's great. Summer, not so much. I like the breathability of my ENO unless I'm at any kind of altitude. Once you're a little up in the air, the soft little breezes at night can be really chilly and tend to wake me up. I usually suffer through it because I don't want to carry another blanket for underneath me.

25. nymtber

nymtber Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I got back from 5+ days in Letchworth State Park (NY), and I had picked up one of these Equip bright blue Hammock's for $19 on clearance on the way to my dads. I finally set it up on Monday, and spent a good amount of time in it. Very comfy, and really easy to set up, though the stock hanging ropes are very picky about how far apart trees are!

The ropes definitely stretch, too. I was laying in it (225lbs) and my dad's girlfriend's daughter, who is 7 years old and maybe 50lbs wanted to climb in with me, so I let her (she was my lil buddy for the trip :) ). She liked it, and we were just relaxing. All of a sudden we heard the ropes creak and we dropped about an inch. The ONLY thing I could think of is that the ropes/knots (pre-tied) stretched/set in. I inspected it and nothing was out of place. I will be looking for a better hanging kit for it. Otherwise, its a solid hammock at a GREAT price!

I will be taking it to my grandfather's at the end of July. Usually hike back in to the falls, maybe I can set it up there or something. That would be pretty relaxing!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  26. Capt. Redbush

Capt. Redbush Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    captredbush
    I love mine and use it as my winter hammock (no need for a bug net!). The bright blue is a little gawdy, but I have MarPat woobie for an underquilt which covers most of it and if need be it could be used for signalling. Best $25 I spent in a while!

27. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    We've got 5 or 6 of them now. First hammocks for us so we are still figuring out the best how-to's... Whoopie Slings are a must with these guys too. Not real happy with the blue color but it is what it is...

Jon.

28. mikeo4x4

mikeo4x4 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Been reading all the good reviews on this hammock and went to pick 1 up can't find 1 at any wm near me so had to order it . It said almost 3 weeks to deliver to the store :-(