wetterlings roll edge

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by ashy_larry, Apr 12, 2010.

1. ashy_larry

ashy_larry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Rolled the edge in like 5 different places on my wetterings axe (probably user error, it was my first time) how do i get it fixed?

2. Rupe

Rupe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Is the axe new or used? Has it been sharpened before?

While I'm here, Welcome to BushcraftUSA!

3. ashy_larry

ashy_larry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. Its brand new and no never sharpened.

4. ashy_larry

ashy_larry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Also any advise on maintenance? I know boiled linseed oil for the handle, but what about the sheath and head?

5. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    Use mink oil for the leather and a light coat of oil every once in a while on the head.

6. upthecreek

upthecreek Guide

Blog Posts:
    A few swipes with a good file will probably fix that edge right on up.

7. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    User error?

First question is, what did you hit that it rolled?

. . .and, Welcome!:)

8. Jason

Jason Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Gotta sharpen it back up. Go ahead and try a convex edge if it doesn't already have one. Did you hit the ground with the edge while chopping? (Ask me how I know what that will do)

Welcome to the forum and 2 thumbs up for the username. I laughed when I saw it.

9. ashy_larry

ashy_larry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yup I hit the ground twice while chopping, but also the wood was very hard. Wont taking a file to it remove too much metal, or will that bend it back? It already has a factory convex edge on it. Thanks.

So far I am going to put mineral oil on the head, linseed on the handle, and mink oil on the sheath.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  10. John, the baptist

John, the baptist Guest

Blog Posts:
    This is the second wetterlings rolled edge in a week! Starting to worry me a bit. And if you don't take that roll off with the file, how will you ever resharpen it? It won't take too much off becuase whats there needs to come off now (unless you have a forge).

Make sure to soak the whole axe in the linseed oil. Helps with keeping the head tight or so I hear. If the head loosens up do it again.

11. Jason

Jason Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Hitting the ground almost certainly caused the problem. Most likely you hit a rock or two. You can safely sharpen an axe with a file, stone, puck or even sandpaper. Taking too much metal off the edge will not be due to the method of sharpening but rather the person doing the sharpening. If you need tips on sharpening I'm sure there are some good videos on youtube.

12. Chazz_Hiben

Chazz_Hiben Guest

Blog Posts:
    I would just file tthe burs/rolls off and re-sharpen it alittle. I have wanted a wetterlings for a while but am scared of getting one that the edge will roll. Good luck.

13. morq1

morq1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    What he said..LOL:D:D
    Nice AVATAR...LMAO..

14. MoxemDeliph

MoxemDeliph Guide

Blog Posts:
    I recieved my Wetterlings and dented the edge on a pine 2x4. They didnt heat treat the axe head at all...it was softer than a butter knife. This has happened to atleast two others here as well.

Everyone is right that you need to sharpen it, but if you think that its not acting right (denting or rolling when it shouldnt) I would highly recommend you get it replaced or have someone who knows what to look for take a looky and see. I had to re heat treat the axe myself becuase Wetterlings wouldnt honor their factory warranty. Like I said a few other guys have experienced this, but it has all been the 20" large hunting axe model as far as Im aware. Hope you dont have a dude and you just hit some hard stuff.

15. ashy_larry

ashy_larry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I did the head and handle with linseed, and sheath in mink. Thanks. Im scared to take a file to it though... any tips?

16. PeterCartwright

PeterCartwright Guide

Blog Posts:
    I currently own four Wetterlings. The heat treat on all four is first rate. However, I also had a Large Hunter's Axe, purchased last Fall, that missed something in the heat treat department. I purchased this axe at Crystal Falls Trading Company. When I showed the nicked edge to Dave Brady, he said, "Nope. Not supposed to do that." I exchanged the axe for another Wetterlings (which is great).

I'm not the only one who has gotten a Wetterlings lemon. My limited experience tells me lemons are the exception, and not the rule. No axe can be expected to stand up to "ground pounding". However, if your axe is showing signs of rolling or nicking when used properly, I'd suggest you may have a heat treat issue. If that's true, I hope your supplier will stand behind their product.

Footnote: Sadly, Dave Brady, the Co-owner and proprietor or Crystal Falls Trading Company passed away unexpectedly three weeks ago. His brother Bill Brady is now running the company by himself. I'll miss Dave. His deep knowledge of all things knife/axe related was a wonderful resource, and his integrity as a businessman made dealing with CFTC a joy. Bill carries the same kind of business ethic.

PC

17. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    When I got my Wetterlings they said do not use a file. According to the company You should only use a stone on them.

18. mongo1958

mongo1958 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have always used a puck. It will take some work to get the rolls off. I have a roselli and I have had no problems with it. If you file it and the file digs in alot, or skips off, it may be a heat treatment problem and I would return it.

19. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Good for you on the Roseli Mongo, I got to see Faols last year at a meet, and was very impressed with it

20. wildjim

wildjim Guest

Blog Posts:
    I have a bunch of Wetterlings axes and all are fine.

You may consider a Cold Steel axe as CS axe and tomahawk steel is harder by design.

21. ashy_larry

ashy_larry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I really dont think I got a bad axe, like I said before probably user error. I am going to try the file and some sandpaper tonight and see what happens... I just need to get better with it.

22. S.Gossman

S.Gossman Guide Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Get rid of that zero edge. Put a secondary micro bevel on it.
    Scott

23. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I would use a Lansky round stone here is the site if this helps. I use It for mine here the Site http://lanskysharpeners.com/ it's called "The Puck" works very good.

24. Joezilla

Joezilla Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    that puck works great. I won mine at the BC SE event. I dipped it in a small vat of honing oil so it would soak up some of it. Man that stuff is porous. Use the file first and then go back with the puck. First time I've heard of rolled edges on a wetterlings myself. Probably something in the ground.