What blades do you carry while backpacking?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by gdpolk, Mar 11, 2012.

1. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    For backpacking I carry a 3 blade system. To date, I've never needed anything more and have actually had others rely on my equipment several times. Between the three blades I have a blade for precision work, general tasks, and heavy duty use all at just about a pound. In addition to that these three knives give me a set of tools that will let me conquer a lot of other tasks that may arise on the trail. Here is what I carry and why I carry it while backpacking...

Victorinox Classic in First Aid Kit
    1. It is as small as a pair of nail clippers and lighter than a pair of clippers too
    2. the small razor sharp blade is perfect for cutting off excess skin from skin tears or hangnails. This can also be used to open the skin a bit to get debrit out if you fall and can't get to it.
    3. scissors give you a way to cut nails, torn nails, clip threads, etc
    4. tweezers are good for tick, splinter, and deprit removal
    5. the toothpick is good for getting between your teeth
    6. the nail file is good for rounding the edges of your nails if you rip one on a rock to keep you from re-tearing it later

Leatherman Juice S2 in my pocket
    1. It's not much larger than a standard folding knife and only weighs 4.4oz
    2. The blade is good fro every day tasks and is sharp enough to shave
    3. pliers are big enough to use as a tool to fix things and do things around the camp. I use them most frequently to lift the hot lid off my cookset.
    4. full size scissors are great fro cutting through clothing or gauze if needed
    5. wire cutters offer you a way to clip through tough metal if needed or to remove a fishook
    6. small but functional drivers allow me the ability to fix and rebuild all my equipment
    7. bottle opener/can opener can be used to open cans of stew if/when I take them

Koster Bushmaster in the pack
    1. 10" overall, 5" blade in 1/4" thick steel gives me a good heavy use blade for fire prep and food prep
    2. I use it primarily for food prep and cutting/battoning wood
    3. the skeletonized tang lowers the weight (sub 12 oz with sheath)
    4. the jimping on the back and canvas micarta handles give a good grip even when wet (great for battoning wood to get to the dry center when all the wood is wet)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For those interested, I have a short but thorough review of the BushMaster on the edged tools forum here: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1085509#post1085509

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. Quinn

Quinn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I carry an old 'first generation' Leatherman and a Mora 711.

3. TaigaTreader

TaigaTreader Scout

Blog Posts:
    It never stays the same. So may different environments, challenges, activities around here... this time of year though, I *typically* bring a Koyote bushcraft leuku, a Wetterlings SFA and a Svord Peasant.

4. bluewanders

bluewanders Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry three knives and an axe.

The knives I carry are:
    Spyderco Bushcraft
    Leatherman Charge TI
    Tom Brown Tracker

I also carry a gransfor axe.

Out of all of them, the spyderco and the gransfor see the most 'action'... the tracker doesn't go out with me as much as it used to, since I was given the axe as a gift. I've already gotten 'decently' sufficent with the tracker... but need a LOT of work learning the axe. so I use it for as much as I can.

5. THE PUNISHER

THE PUNISHER Scout

Blog Posts:
    Koster Bushmaster in the pack

boy i like that knife,is it pricey like a bark river?

back on topic i always pack a sheath knife my bark river ghost is getting a lot of love,and a hawkbill case in the pocket..

6. 11b inf

11b inf Scout

Blog Posts:
    blades

i carry a G.I. pocket knife and a Mora 2000 ,thats it...vince g. 11B Inf:42:...

7. Ironwood

Ironwood Guide

Blog Posts:
    It can vary depending on what I feel like swinging.

Smart money; my great vintage 2.25 lb hultafors bruks axe that I refurbished on 23 inch handle for any serious work expeditions. With it I'll wear a woodlore clone file knife I made, and a Swiss Army Ranger.

I also may carry a GB Hunters axe, with my woodlore belt knife and a Case Peanut.

I can also throw the Kershaw Outcast in the pact if I feel like a big chopper/machete.

I do like the Hunters axe or Outcast for limbing purposes.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  8. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    It is pricey. I had lost my favorite heavy-use knife in a move when I got married and moved in with the wife. I had been looking at a couple nice knives for backpacking for quite a while and decided on this one a little over a year ago. My best friend and I are going to do the AT when I get out of graduate school and this was the last piece of gear I needed for it. When it came available again my wife picked it up for me as an early birthday present. Thus far, I've really been working it very hard and its been by far the most durable blade and edge I've ever used. My friends and I have been amazed at the beating it'll take and still shave the hairs off your arms.

Here's a bit more info from Daniel Koster's site: http://kosterknives.com/knives/bushmaster2011/

This knife may be my favorite piece of gear honestly. It's hard to choose between it, my water filter, or my Thermarest. All three make hiking exponentially more enjoyable.

9. smokewalker

smokewalker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Depending on what I will be doing the fixed blade will vary from A D-2 Queen Drop point and a hatchet to a Becker BK-9 and a Necker sometimes a K-bar. Always slip joint normally a Case Stockman, Böker Barlow or an SAK and a Wave or Swiss tool in my pack.

10. Grey Ranger

Grey Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    SOG seal pup elite. Perfect for backpacking in my opinion. (I like stainless steel, and hollow grinds.)

Its light, perfect size for doing anything without any excess, and it holds a good edge. Its a fairly tough steel that i feel confident wont break on me.

I wouldnt take a bigger knife on a backpacking trip because i just wouldnt need the extra weight.

I keep scissors and tweezers in my first aid kit, and i have a small stone to keep the knife sharp. I find i never use the extra tools on a multi tool while in the field, so i've been leaving them at home of late.

11. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've used scissors and pliers the most. Scissors are great for cutting gauze, moleskin, etc if someone falls and needs to dress a scrape or something. I use my pliers all the time for lifting hot lids off my backpacking pots, cracking into hickory and pecan nuts, and for fishing gear. I've also used them for tent repair on another's tent a couple of times and to untie tough knots. The drivers on my Leatherman rarely get used but were good for fixing glasses twice (essential) and a stove once (really nice to have then too). Other than that they've come in handy a few times that would have been easier to get by without them but I still like the versatility the Leatherman gives at minimal weight gains.

I understand some folks try to get rid of stuff that isn't 100% necessary. I just like the options that having at least one decent, basic multitool can give you when a car isn't there to give you a full on repair kit for everything you own.

12. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    One of my good friends has this knife for backpacking. He got his from Midway when it went on sale. He seems to really like it a lot and from what little bit of use I've had with it, it seems like a fairly good blade.

13. Frontier211

Frontier211 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Before I knew anything about gear I never had more than a folder and a butcher knife or my k-bar knockoff. Now I'm more of a Mora and Hatchet kinda guy. My Kershaw and Multi-tool will always be on my belt. I still don't know much :)

14. GODSPEED

GODSPEED Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've always liked keeping a larger blade on my knife and this has always been an ESEE-6 but recently when I got to review a BK9 which carried really well. I also always have either an Izula or Izula II on my belt or depending on my gear I might have it on my neck but pretty much always on the belt. I pull my belt up above pack-belt.

Here's a pic of the BK9 pack-mounted:

[​IMG]

The sheath wasn't finished yet and I added another pouch to it before sending it off:

[​IMG]

The first pack is a Spec-Ops "Recon Ruck" which is basically an Alice Pack on steroids and molle-webbing. The second is a Blackwater Go-Bag and on both packs the pommel is up high enough that I can draw and resheath it without removing the pack which I really like.

I've always wanted to try out carrying a pack-mounted machete too but didn't have a good way of carrying it..... but I've fixed that too. I've even made a channel behind the sheath where pack retention-straps can pass through and do all the "mounting" work so there's really no need for Molle-Loks, etc.

ESEE-Lite Machete mounted to my Blackwater pack:

[​IMG]

Mounted to a Maxpedition Falcon II:

[​IMG]

Although I made this specifically for the ESEE-LM it fits a couple different sizes like Tramontinas, Condor and also fit one of my Ontarios just fine. Haven't mounted any pouches to one of these yet but they'll fit up to three of them so my SOG Power Assist multitool will go in one of those pouches with a large firekit. That pretty much is my "trinity": ESEE-6/BK-9/machete(one of these) + Izula + SOG Power Assist.

I need/want one of Daniel Kosters knives pretty bad, I remember seeing a "Bush Cleaver" for sale and contacting the guy but never heard back.

Eli

15. jrtaylor155

jrtaylor155 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry three blades a folding saw and a small axe:

BHK Woodcrafter (4" blade) on my belt
    Leatherman wave on my belt
    CRKT M-16 (4"blade) in my pack
    Folding Bacco Saw in my pack
    GB Small forest axe in my pack

16. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    depends what i'm doing...

backpacking or canoeing with lots of portages, where i'm the mule: SAK, Fallkniven F1, Vaughn mini-hatchet, and Fiskars folding saw, IF i'm planning on a campfire. i don't always make one (sometimes, you're just too tired.) if no fire, then no hatchet or saw. depending on the area and need, i may sub the ax and/or saw for a machete, especially in the Southern jungle (muscadine /blackberry /greenbriar thickets.)

canoeing with just a couple short portages: SAK, Falkniven F1, folding bucksaw, and GB SFA.

17. wizard

wizard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The minimum is a SAK Farmer and a Mora 510. If I plan to use a knife for major tasks I will carry my Woodlore clone. If I am in a wooded area I will take at least a Laplander saw. I very seldom carry an axe backpacking. I carry the Farmer and the 510 in my day hiking gear too.

18. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Is your ''Seal Pup'' serated or plain?
    I have an older ''Seal Pup'' (with the serations) that I have been trying to love, but still not sure about it.
    Thnx
    Joe

19. VT-Rogue

VT-Rogue Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Leatherman Wave
    Mora Triflex
    Tracker #1

20. Onod

Onod Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I keep just a Mora Classic in my pack and my Svord Peasant in my pocket. Depending on where I'm going I might bring the ax, saw or leatherman skeletool but that's rare.

21. OddTheViking

OddTheViking Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the detailed info and photos gdpolk. I might have to get a leatherman like that. My Gerber is handy but bigger and heavier than what I need.

22. Dishonor39

Dishonor39 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Like a lot of people have said, it changes from trip to trip depending upon location and weather. I have broken it down into categories, I take one item from each category.

Small Multi Purpose:
    Leatherman Squirt PS4
    Leatherman Style PS

Carry Blade:
    ESEE Izula
    ESEE 3
    ESEE 4

Work Horse:
    ESEE 6 & Shark Corp Folding Saw
    ESEE Junglas
    Gerber Sport Axe

Sometimes I may bring the saw with the Junglas or the axe, just depends on what I plan on doing, or the number of people if any besides myself I am traveling with. I recently ordered a Victorinox Farmer, with the intent of giving it the Bushcrafter mod found on these forums, but after considering it and shopping around I am thinking of using a Wenger Ranger 78. Twice the weight (Farmer is 3 ounces before mod, Ranger is 5.1) of the modded Farmer (estimating), but a much longer saw and blade as back ups / trap work / food-fish prep. I have tried bringing full sized multitools in the past, most recently the Leatherman Wave, prior to that the Gerber Diesel, but I have found that for my needs, there are usually lighter weight options for me to perform all the tasks I would use a multitool in the woods for.

23. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    It really depends on the type of backpacking, season and planned activities. If it's distance trail hiking, I'll go light; usually a Mora 510, pocket folder and the little Leatherman PS4 Squirt. I really love my Vic Spirit multitool, but for most of my woods activities from fishing to backpacking the smaller Leatherman's pliers have been more than sufficient.

My search is for a Bushcrafter ALOX Farmer with pocket clip; that would help do away with a pocket folder and still let me have the SAK saw and awl which are the two most used tools on my SAKs.

Most of my normal backpacking and camping, I'll go with a main fixed bladed belt knife; Martin Knives BT is the most used:

[​IMG]

If I'm going to be processing lots of wood or doing larger "bushcraft" practice (shelters, traps, chairs, etc.), I'll pack along a chopper such as BRKT's Golok or my GB SFA.

ROCK6

24. tleek

tleek Scout

Blog Posts:
    Whenever i go out to the back country i take a mora, and whatever pocket knife i have on me, usually a sog trident now.
    I also carry a large chopper, usually my ontario sp10.
    I use the sp10the most, closely followed by the mora.The folder i use for food prep or cutting cord or what not.
    I also carry a saw.

25. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    Those are some pretty nice looking sheaths. I may have to hit you up for a custom made one with a loop on the top and bottom for pack carry for my BushMaster. If you get the chance to try a Koster, I'd recommend it. I had a hard time debating between the BushMaster and MUCK. I may still get a MUCK as well but for now I'm more than happy with my Bushmaster

26. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    No problem. I got mine with bacpacking in mind as a smaller and lighter alternative to their full size tools but with a tool still large enough to be sturdy. It's now become my every-day carry knife. I'm surprised at how often I grab it for one tool or another on it. I don't think I'll ever go back to just a plain edged folder for my daily pocket knife.

27. wonderingson

wonderingson Scout

Blog Posts:
    mora, and a juice

28. ninja-elbow

ninja-elbow Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My baseline in the woods:
    Juice - the one with the corkscrew as I am, it seems, the only guy running across bottles of wine.
    Helle Viking - the original made in 1999 in celebration of the Leif Ericsson 2000 year celebration. Funny thing with this knife, was originally bought as an expensive costume piece as I was a viking re-enactor back in the day (SCA) so that was the one I got. Realized about 6 years ago it was one of the better knives I owned.

The third spot depends and varies and is sometimes more than one cutting tool. In the rotation are:
    Mora #2 with a neck lanyard (and some tweezers and a whistle and duct tape), this actually lives in my pack.
    Leukko, Ahti I like to belt this one with the Viking when it is winter.
    Wetterlings Hunter Axe, the 15incher. New to carrying an axe... well 4 years "new" to it. As my skill progresses I carry and use this one more and more. My last winter cmaping trip a few weeks ago I turned out 6 12" stakes in less than 2 minutes with just my axe. I was quite amazed at how easy that got.
    Folding saw, lives in pack.
    CS Special Force Spade aka Spetz aka "Spanky", I'm one of those e-tool carrying guys. I'm good with Spanky. Spanky has been living in my truck for the last 2 years though as I get better with the axe. Poor Spanky, he is so sad. My most used car camping tool though. IMO - the tool that is 43% proficient at 28 different jobs :9:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  29. Shorty

Shorty Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a Ray Mears Bushcraft knife, which I adore...but one knife that I gave to my wife when I got the RM that I am actually falling back in love with is the Kellam Wolverine...FANTASTIC little knife, and it truly does keep an edge for longer...

30. wizard

wizard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a Kellum Wolverine, I haven't used it yet but it is super sharp and seems like an excellent little knife.

31. Chingachgook

Chingachgook Tracker

Blog Posts:
    QFT :)

32. Grey Ranger

Grey Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like the new seal pup Elite a lot. i have the satin finished straight edge.
    I also had another member here, Ratty1, make me some superb custom leather, which included a great sheath with a pouch for my Falkniven DC3 stone.
    I have the Elite model with the serrations and the black finish as well, and its a great utility blade. I think its a big improvement on the original seal pup, in blade and handle design, and steel (aus8 now instead of aus6 on the old ones). I am a Lifeguard at a beach here in NJ, and i keep it in my truck/bag when at work. Like all SOG knives, its a superb dive knife, because its built from the ground up to be used in a marine environment, so it works well for any task i might need on the beach
    But, i prefer the straight edge in the woods because its easier to carve with it, and to keep sharp with just a small stone, and i think straight edges are just better suited for bushcraft tasks. the satin finish is more traditional too, which is what i look for in a lot of my gear.
    Each of mine has their own role though, and they perform them well. I'm a big SOG fan.

I like to learn as much as i can about every aspect of a tool, so i like the challenge of having to adapt my knife to anything i need in the woods. I usually go pretty basic while backpacking. I dont use stoves (actually never owned one) just because i like the challenge building a fire (even just a small one to cook on) in any environment.

I have a Swiss Army Knfie which i love and carry all the time on a every day basis, but i like learning to use my sheath knife for anything i need.
    A lot of people prefer taking a multi tool, and i cant criticizes them because if it works for them, it works for them. Different strokes for different folks

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  33. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ive been using the same blades for a while now, since last summer when I got my first two customs, so I stick to the same tools for the most part.
    I will add a larger blade or trail hawk depending on the area but I can stay with the same tools and be fine.

The largest is a Sugar Creek Knife works Bushcrafter, its O-1 tool steel, flat grind with convex secondary, black canvas micarta w/ SS pins and lanyard. It is sharp as can be and a tank.
    It has been helping me split firewood for the homestead and a whole lot more, never fails.

The other two tools I carry are my Original Leatherman PST and an Opinel #6. I use these for daily so they are both with me at all times.
    Along with my Leatherman Micra on my keys I have all my bases covered, just add or subtract tools when needed.

[​IMG]

Hopefully all my planned trips work out and I can get back out into the woods, injuries healed up means time to knock off some of the dust.

By the way great setups by you other guys, really liking the variety of tools I am seeing.

-Brandon

34. Grizzly

Grizzly Scout

Blog Posts:
    As already stated depends on where I am going and what time of year it is. If it is in the rocky mountain region (my home range) in the summer I will take two knives, light weight multitool (leatherman Juice) and a medium sized fixed blade (Bark River Bravo 1 or BHK Bushcrafter or equivalent, I have lots of knives of this type). Same terrain but in the winter I will add a saw and a GB small forest ax.

35. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    I couldn't agree more about straight edges for outdoor knives. I can understand your desire to go basic as well. Thanks for the dialogue, thats half the fun in asking questions as to what others like and why.:4:

36. joe305

joe305 Guide

Blog Posts:
    ESEE Lite
    [​IMG]

and

Now...the BHK Woodsman Pro
    [​IMG]

Plus a multitool and SAW

37. Chert

Chert Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carry a Mora #1, and a SAK Farmer as my blades when backpacking. If I think I may be fishing, I'll bring my Leatherman Squirt PS4.

38. TomcatPC

TomcatPC Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hello
    The last time I went backpacking (too long ago) I had a pocket knife in my pocket, a Camillus GI Issue Aircrew Survival Knife in my pack along with a "Kamp-King" pocket knife left over from the 1950s that is always in my pack. Also took along a Ontario GI Machete.
    Mark

39. Grey Ranger

Grey Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    yeah man, no problem.

I see a lot here and on other forums that people just answer the question with one post and there is very little discussion about a topic. I wish we would see more discussion, but that's the nature of a forum of this size i guess (fairly large, a lot of people).

If i felt the need to carry an additional multi tool, i definitely would, but i try to adapt pieces of my kit to creative rolls, so i can carry less.

I use a bandanna to handle hot cooking tools over the fire, i don't bring cans or bottles, i have a stone on my knife sheath to keep it sharp, i already carry nice scissors and tweezers in a pretty robust first aid kid that i bring, and the clip point on my bowie style SOG is pretty good at making small holes in wood. I also don't bring a stove, and my kid doesn't have any screws that cant be turned with my knife.
    That all eliminates the need for the pliers, bottle opener, can opener, file, scissors, tweezers, awl, and screwdrivers.

If i feel i may need a saw, I take my Bahco Laplander, which is light enough, and can handle large and small tasks. But, I can usually carve any fine woodwork with my knife, or process larger wood with my Axe or Hawk (i usually bring one or the other).

A lot of my approach to hiking/backpacking is to revive skills from the past, so i don't have to carry as much gear, and learning to multi task what you have, especially your knife, is a big part of that for me.

There's a reason why they say your most important tool in the woods is your knife, because it really is incredibly versatile if you know how to use it. The reason i like stainless is because its better for food prep. It cleans more easily and is much more corrosion resistant, and you don't have to use oils on it to protect it that you wouldn't want to eat. The reason i like a hollow grind is because its also better for working with food and game.
    If you get a good quality well made Stainless and or Hollow Grind knife, it can handle anything a "bushcraft shape" and or carbon steel blade can. This is especially true for me because the majority of my wood processing is done with my axe or hawk. Its a little harder to sharpen a hollow ground knife because the secondary bevel is so small, but with practice, i can get it hair shaving sharp in the field with my stone and my belt.

The Seal Pup has everything i want in a knife, and is superb when paired with my Gransfors Bruks axe or my Cold Steel Trail Hawk. (i use the hawk in warm weather when i don't need as big a fire)

Even though SOG makes their knives overseas, they have unusually high quality control standards, and they really do make quality kives, especially for the price. I got both of my Seal Pup Elites on Amazon.com for around 60 bucks each.
    Cant beat the performance, or the price. Its a great knife.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  40. Tracker01

Tracker01 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Right now I'm more of an urban prepper than the woods. For EDC. I carry (3) three knives. #1 is Gerber LST a Boker Auto knife and a Kershaw Tanto Blur.
    Joe R
    A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.” Proverbs 22:3

41. econnofoot

econnofoot Guest

Blog Posts:
    Little bike/backpacking trip I did today, I was toting SAK Huntsman, BK14 Eskabar, Mora Companion, and TOPS Key knife. One time I didn't have a bigger chopper with me I wish I had for clearing some trails.

It wasn't really planned to tote the TOPS or the BK 14, I actually forgot the TOPS was with my PSK and the BK14 was in my bag All I really needed on planned on using was the SAK and Mora. Almost always is a SAK or multitool and a fixed blade.

42. Buckles

Buckles Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Machete, ESEE 3 or 4, and usually whatever folder I have on me that day.

43. IndieroxNWusa

IndieroxNWusa Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    surfingcinv
    Mora 860MG or bushcraft force, depending on pack - craftwork, intricate, tinder prep, shavings

micro multitool with 1.5"blade - just backup, extra-blade +pliers a couple micro tools in case my glasses break etc

Gerber LMF2, soon to be replaced with a Becker BK2 - Gerber is nice and is really a good batoning blade - but I want to trade the serrated part for full blade.. and throw the LMF in a urban bug-out bag

44. ninja-elbow

ninja-elbow Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Gerber Prodigy I carried for about a year. It now lives in my office BOB. After 4 years in the Navy as a Deck Ape/Boatswain's Mate there is only one thing I like serrated blades for and that is cutting line and hauser. I don't cut much big line or hauser anymore.

45. ninja-elbow

ninja-elbow Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's why I finally settled on a Mora/Helle Viking. Simplicity. I'd rather skill up to my tool than carry a few things that do one thing each. I do like my Leatherman Juice though and that is my daily (office/home/weekend.... all my waking hours) EDC. I even stopped carrying a folder with the multitool last year.

I read Kochanski's Bushcraft 3 years ago and got bit pretty hard so that is where I am and why I am here.

46. chuck g

chuck g Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Let me say first I've just started getting interested in bushcraft. All my backpacking trips have been overnighters or 2 nights long at most, and I've always done the standard backpacking LNT thing: bring a tent or tarp, sleeping bag+pad, stove+fuel, all your food, flashlight+extra batteries, raingear, extra insulating layer(s). Campfires were fun but not required for cooking/heat/light. And I've never tried to make anything while on a backpacking trip.

My last backpacking trip was a solo overnight loop about 7 miles long in the Uhwarrie National Forrest. I took a Wenger S14 SAK (locking blade, scissors, nailfile, + usual SAK tools). That was my only cutting tool.

The few trips prior to that I brought my old Victorinox Adventurer SAK (one large locking blade, + usual SAK tools) plus I had scissors in my FAK. Also had permaware butter knife with serrated edge in cooking kit that was sufficient to cut any food we had. These trips were with my kids to a state park about 25 miles away, 1 mile hike in to the campsite.

Backpacking trips I remember taking in the NC mountains when I was younger I think I only carried an SAK. My hiking partner would have a knife as well.

I'm thinking about adding a very lightweight fixed blade knife like a Mora 511 or similar, around 1/4lb or less including sheath. I'd like to improve my fire making skills and I think a fixed blade knife would be helpful for wood prep. Going on longer trips farther from the trailhead I think a backup knife would be useful.

47. Medius

Medius Scout

Blog Posts:
    On my last trip I think I carried:
    -Mora classic #2 w/ a lanyard neck carry style
    -Kabar USMC knife in an outer pocket of my pack
    -Leatherman Wave in an outer pocket of my pack
    -Generic swiss army farmer in my emergency survival kit that I have either in my pack or on my belt depending on whether I'm carrying my pack or just wandering

Since that trip I've gotten my hands on a becker BK9 which I'm going to swap out the kabar for, and a CS trailhawk which I'm goign to carry as well.

Though I haven't hit the trail in while

48. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Leatherman Juice(scissors/pliers), Opinel No. 8 (extremely easy to keep razor sharp), Becker Necker BK-11 or BK-2(in winter when I am batoning wood for the wood stove).

49. woodsmannorway

woodsmannorway Guest

Blog Posts:
    1. Swedish Axe - My main cuttingtool is an axe.
    2. Swedish Mora Knife as my smaller cutting tool
    3. Bacho Laplander Saw
    4. Letherman Super 300
    5. KaBar USMC Fighting Knife for a larger knife

I dont carry all this normally.. the axe and mora is the most used!

50. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I carry a heavy Kukri, a Black Jack Mamba, a Mora, a Gerber Diesel, a cheap Gerber saw, and an CS AK-47. Sometimes ill replace the maba with one of my CS True Flight Thrower.