What Companies Stand Behind Their Products?

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by DCP, Dec 9, 2011.

1. DCP

DCP Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Since I have been doing bushcraft I have had my share of product issues but some companies stood behind their products others have not. I don't want to badmouth any companies but I thought maybe a thread that summarizes good customer service experience people have had and with what company.

Something like this could be a great resource.

I searched and couldn't find another thread, so hopefully I am not repeating with something existing.

With that said we know many of the Vendors here are great and will stand behind their stuff as well as Bushcraft Outfitters so I think we can put them at the top of the list.

For me:
    1) Council Tool - I had an issue with a Jersey Classic axe and they replaced it and listend to my feedback about it.
    2) Fallkniven - I had a lumpy DC4 that I had to flatten when I first got it, over a year of use it got much worse. They replaced it and the new one seems to be made of different material and doesn't appear to have the same issues.
    3) Buck Knives- This was customer error, my father had a Buck 119 that after cleaning a deer he got the bright idea of soaking the blade overnight in clorox the stainless steel pitted like crazy. We were upfront with Buck and they did a 1 time favor and replaced it for him.

2. coloradowildman

coloradowildman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Council Tool
    Leatherman
    Victorinox
    Gerber
    Cold Steel

3. CodenameWalrus

CodenameWalrus Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had a very good experience with MSR. The pump on my Dragonfly stove wasn't working right and they sent me a new one right away. They didn't even wait for the faulty one to arrive first.

4. Bobcat

Bobcat Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've had an excellent experience with Adventure Medical Kits. I carry one of their signal mirrors and the adhesive conjoining the mirror and backing began to fail and the two sides slipped to the point of bad misalignment. I emailed their customer service explaining the issue and they mailed me a new one no questions asked.

Edited to add:

Like the poster below me, I need to add Surefire as well. I had a clicky tail cap for my 6P that I used to carry on my rifle while in the service. The cap began to have issues operating effectively and their CS mailed me a replacement.

For those that use higher end civilian packs Osprey Packs also has a no questions asked repair warranty and excellent CS. I have owned six of their packs and currently have four, one of which needs repair due to a hole worn through by sand stone, though I need to still send it in.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  5. fhm615

fhm615 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Busse/Swamp Rat/ScrapYard Family of Knives- They will replace most anything of theirs that you break and send to them.
    Surefire- They sent me a new tail cap and paid the shipping when my flashlight quit working.

6. In-ScoutMaster

In-ScoutMaster Scout

Blog Posts:
    Coleman I had a battery powered lantern that had an intermitten problem.I emailed them,they said destroy the one you have and email us pics,and they sent me a new one.My son was thrilled he got to destroy the old one with a hammer lol.

7. glen1100

glen1100 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bark River stands behind there knives 100%. Good knives, good company

8. Zornt

Zornt Guide

Blog Posts:
    I messed up my Mini Maglight. Sent them an email telling them what I did and asked for price for replacement parts. They sent parts at no charge and included very nice instructions on how to fix it. Great people..

9. econnofoot

econnofoot Guest

Blog Posts:
    Jansport(yep they honor their pack guarantees), Leatherman, Boker, KABAR.

10. _Plainsman

_Plainsman Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I recently had an issue with Karamat(Mors Kochanski) where I ordered a few DVD's. When I got the package it was 8 discs intended for another customer. I notified the company and returned them and in return for my honesty they are also sending me his Bushcraft book.

11. Squirr

Squirr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ESEE, Kifaru, Leopold and Jansport have all been awesome in my experience

12. lefthandedwriter

lefthandedwriter Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1 for Victorinox. the saw on my Champion broke after 15 years of abuse (no defect, I just wore it out). called to see how much it would cost to repair. They said just to send it in and they'd take care of it for free.

Then she said to note if the knife had sentimental value and they'd make an extra effort to repair, rather than replace.

13. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Grand Trunk hammocks.
    Gerber multi-tools
    Nalgene

14. gwynn1975

gwynn1975 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    REI! (They stand behind all the manufacturers they sell)
    Smith & Wesson- Bought a M&P when they were offering 2 free magazines. I moved between buying the gun and receiving the magazines. I called them and they sent me 4 more.
    ESEE
    Helly Hansen
    Maxpedition

15. Ironwood

Ironwood Guide

Blog Posts:
    Gore tex stands behind their products. If it ever leaks they will replace it. This included items you may find at a thrift store or really old items. I know personally.

16. Muddy Paws

Muddy Paws Scout

Blog Posts:
    Esee #1 on my list.

17. sarge1967

sarge1967 Guide

Blog Posts:
    The North Face. Had a Mountain Light Gore Tex Jacket that got me soaked. Sent it to TNF and they called and asked what color replacement I wanted. I had a sleeping bag from them blow a zipper. They fixed it no charge.
    Surefire. I had a tail switch go out on one of my lights. Called them and they asked where to send the rplacement switch. I asked "Do you want me to send the broken one to you?" They said "No need." I got the replacement in 2 days.
    S&W Had a revolver that the timing was off. They fixed it no charge and in a timely maner.
    Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

18. Grizzly

Grizzly Scout

Blog Posts:
    REI- Their return policy is the best in the business
    Bark River – Does not matter what you do to the knife they will make it right
    Buck Knife – Same as stated above
    Gregory Packs – I have owned them for over 15 years and have put them through hell with swamp trips, mountaineering trips, desert trips and worst of all overseas travel, any problem that I have ever had has been replaced instantly, including a skunk episode that I would rather not think of.
    Platypus water bladders – stand by their product no questions asked
    Nalgene – same as stated above

19. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    A few companies have stuck behind their products for me.

Zippo- they offered to repair or replace my fathers Zippo he got in the army
    Leatherman- has offered to fix up a leatherman I received as a gift
    BCUSA Outfitters- top notch service and amazing quality, these guys rock

-Brandon

20. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Leatherman will repair/replace any of their tools regardless of the number of owners or use/abuse. They make top notch products but as with any tool that gets used every day, they are subject to getting dinged up and damaged. Leatherman will take care you

21. DCP

DCP Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Glad you had good CS from Gerber I had to send in my multi tool yesterday, one of the caps over the pins fell off.

22. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I slammed my trunk lid on a friend's Coleman cooler, breaking the collapsible handle. i asked to buy a replacement part. they don't make them, so they sent me a whole new cooler. free. amazing.

i sent 2 of my old mini mags in for repair after they got corroded. they were cleaned and repaired free of charge. i was a little torqued that they didn't replace one of the light bulbs (claimed they couldn't contact me though i had given them my cell phone number and mailing address), but i was just happy to get the end caps replaced and the tubes rebored/cleaned for free.

23. Davros

Davros Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I try to buy most of my gear at REI because they stand behind all their products wether its their brand or not and they have a very liberal return policy.

24. Looker

Looker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I had the same result when I contacted Kershaw about buying a replacement pocket clip for a folder. It had broken off after getting caught on the seatbelt in my truck as I was getting out (twice!). I told them how I broke it, but instead of giving me a price they asked for my address and sent me a replacement clip with screws, Loctite and instructions.

About 10 years ago I had an Alladdin thermos that would only keep my coffee hot for about an hour. I called and offered to send it in for replacement, but they told me not to bother and just sent me one. According to what they told me at that time, any Alladdin with a handle carries a lifetime warranty, although mine didn't say so on the product itself.

Looker

25. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I generally just use, or toss things that go belly-up ..
    But, in the last year I actually did the CS thing on 2 items.
    -- The first was a Steel Thermos bottle, that I inherited from my brother years ago - It finally got so beat-up and abused that it would no longer keep coffee even warm more than an hour. I contacted them, and they sent me a Brand New one (and didn't even want the old one back)
    --The second was a Silva 'Guide' compass, that I had for years, that had been "well used", and had developed a 'bubble'. I contacted them, and they said "send it in", which I did .. and they sent me a Brand New one.
    So - I guess My vote would be for Thermos, and Silva :)

26. jkfisher84

jkfisher84 Scout

Blog Posts:
    For those of you who fly fish I'm going to have to say TFO! Awesome service, lifetime warranty, just need to pay shipping. Cheapest replacement so far. Ross was going to charge me 50. TFO 25. Hope that's related! Oh and I don't want to forget the Gerber knife I snapped off my multitool while plucking a fossil out of some frozen ground last winter . Replaced for free.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  27. wolfy

wolfy Guest

Blog Posts:
    RCBS replaced the ram on my Rockchucker when I BENT it swaging some .348 Winchester brass into .43 Spanish brass that was not available at that time. My fault, but they said a 'lifetime guarantee' is what it is.

Victorinox put a new set of scales on my 'hiker' several years ago when I cracked one by running over it with the tractor:25:

28. Rusty Plowpoint

Rusty Plowpoint Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hennessey Hammocks

29. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
  30. 8thsinner

8thsinner Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have had good dealings with leatherman, replacing broken bits with nothing more than speed and care.

I will upgrade to add or not shun knives, in the next month or so, I have had a large nick develop, and waiting for Christmas to end before I send it in. I know it's not really bush crafty, but some of their blades I would carry and use in the field kitchen and I know some others may and have done the same.

In the past I have had instant replacement of meindl boots where the grip wore down in like six months. It was a bad batch apparently.

Sea to summit, replaced an obviously misused solar shower for me with stitches ripping out..

If I remember any others I will add later.

31. nothinghead

nothinghead Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    LL Bean. Life time warranty. I had a pair of pants seams givce out and they replaced the,. Didn't ask for a receipt, no questions at all really except what size I would like the new ones in.
    I have had good times with pendleton. I got a jacket from goodwill that was missing a button. I called and spoke to a real person in Oregon, who sent out three replacement for free.
    Nalgene is good too. I am awaiting a new water bottle for one I over filled and froze. It split, so they are sending me a new one.

32. JHartwell

JHartwell Guest

Blog Posts:
    I'll be a life-long customer of the following due to their excellent customer service over the years:

Ruger
    Case Knives
    Duluth Pack
    Bibler Tents
    Steger Mukluks
    Filson
    Cabela's
    Mathews Archery
    K&M Match Cases
    JH

33. Mike MacIntosh

Mike MacIntosh Tracker

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    mike6595
    Case knives. I sent an old carbon steel swing guard in for repair. When it was returned it looked like a brand new knife cleaned polished and sharpened, no charge.
    Hi-Point 9mm. carbine Life time no questions asked guarantee. they also send two extra mags. to cover the cost of you shipping the rifle in.
    Busse knives
    Bark River knives

34. FLwoodsman78

FLwoodsman78 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    +1 Smith and Wesson
    Springfield Armory (custom shop)
    Mystery Ranch
    Kelty (Tent)

35. Chris

Chris Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just had a great CS experience with Garmin: less than a week turn around on my girlfriend's HR monitor/watch/GPS (Forerunner 405cx) that went bad after about ten months of use. We sent it to them tuesday or wednesday of this week; and today, a brand new one came in the mail.

36. wsdstan

wsdstan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Leatherman has already been noted but I mention it again, a great company.

Barbour clothing has excellent customer service on their outdoor clothing sold here in the US.

Cabela's is great on replacing defective items under their brand name but that is all I have experience with.

Empire Canvas and Wool is as good as it gets with customer service. Kevin Kinney does a great job.

37. SlayerOfBunnies

SlayerOfBunnies Guide

Blog Posts:
    ESEE and Kabar stand by their products. I've seen the Kabar guys take care of a number of things I probably wouldn't have had it been my company. They are outstanding to deal with.

38. Paveglass

Paveglass Scout

Blog Posts:
    Leupold is as good as they come. I had a guy at a gun shop bugger up my mount and adjusting screws with a Leatherman before I could get it back from him and they fixed it all for nothing. I buy only Leupold scopes and optics now.

39. draco

draco Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    +1 on REI. Their return policy rocks. If something does not work for you just take it back. However I would hope that people don't abuse the policy. They rent gear so you can try a lot of stuff out inexpensively.

They are also the only "club" I belong to. The yearly dividend is pretty good. Usually about 10% of what you spent over the year. I am always surprised at how much I have to spend on something and you can combine it with a sale.

40. hughewil

hughewil Guide

Blog Posts:
    KaBar
    ESEE
    Buck
    Victorinix

41. caleath

caleath Guide

Blog Posts:
    Dillion Precision...reloading machines....lifetime warranty and you get a cool catalog each month.

42. wolfy

wolfy Guest

Blog Posts:
    Shiloh Sharps Rifle Mfg. Co. guarantees their rifles against defects in material and workmanship for the life of the original owner. I broke a lever spring once, made a phone call and had one in the mail in two days.

43. plattj1

plattj1 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Benchmade
    Crimson trace
    G. Loomis
    Montana RV
    Amazon
    Leopould
    Hornady
    Dillon

44. Old Philosopher

Old Philosopher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Buck
    Leatherman
    Maglite
    DeWalt

45. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Posted this in another thread but..

Zippo will stand behind their product. Sent in my zippo my father passed down to me and they repaired any issues with the stainless case and replaced the insert with a brand new one. I was floored by the work they did, damn fine job by Zippo if you ask me.

Same as Leatherman, they offered to do maintence to my original PST no questions asked. Definitely not something I was used to hearing, but a grand thing none the less.

-Brandon

46. MiddleWolf

MiddleWolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Kudos to Columbia Sportwear. I emailed them on how I should reseal a leak at the bottom of the hood on my 10 year old shell at the neck and got a reply the same day and was reminded by them of their lifetime warranty as long as it was not torn or badly damaged or modified. So, I sent it in (my only expense) and now enjoy the new replacement and the warranty is still in place. And the shell was purchased at one of there outlet stores so it was not necessarily main line merchandise.

Also have a hardware store here in Portland that does the MagLites warranty for free except the LEDs. Those need to be sent in according to the accompanying literature in the package.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  47. cloudraker

cloudraker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Leatherman
    msr
    MEC (canadian)
    cabelas
    h & r
    cold steel

48. FTG-05

FTG-05 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Personal experience with the following companies:

- Dillon Precision (try to pay for shipping much less for a free replacement part)
    - Cabelas
    - Danner boots
    - Smith & Wesson (replaced my .44 mag free of charge, even though it was used)
    - REI
    - Nordstroms (Seattle clothing company)
    - Kohls (my wife has wore out 3-4 Kitchenaide Mixers, all replaced free by Kohls)

49. Teno

Teno Scout

Blog Posts:
    Opinel: They send me a new rim for my #8...and I live in Argentina. Took a long time to arrive, but I got my #8 working again...

50. EdD270

EdD270 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've had very good experiences with:
    Victorinox, Gerber, and Buck. Also Glock, Smith & Wesson, Savage, Remington, and Ruger. Also Coleman, Svea, and MSR.