What do you think is a severely underrated survival skill?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by TheDandyLion, Sep 10, 2016.

1. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    In a lost-in-the-woods scenario, I think the ability to sit still and be findable is not even on most people's radar. In most cases, professionals will be looking for you. There are a few things you can do to make their jobs easier, and a lot of things you can do to make their jobs harder.

2. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    The ability to forgive yourself. In many cases, like in your work or in sporting events, you make serious mistakes. When this happens a lot of people to send in to a pretty spiral, or a spiral of self anchor. Nothing good happens when you're feeling this way. If you were able to forgive yourself and put your failure away and face The next challenge with a positive attitude, you will definitely be much more successful.
    As they say in fight club, "to truly let go that which does not matter "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Bingo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youcantreadinthedark likes this.
  4. elkhunter

elkhunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When SHTF it going to be the have not's fight the the have's for what they have or for what they think they have.
    It boils down to know when to stay, know when to run and know when to eat your dog.

Barry J, boisdarc, Bush Otter and 2 others like this.
  5. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pulling a nail/screw from a tire and plugging/patching the hole without losing any air.

6. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    To the OP,

Gathering of plants for medicine and food. This is what would make or break me.

And one survival tool that you don't really see a lot is a big pot. Like a 20-30 galon pot for making soap, sterilizing clothes, feeding a group, ect.

Swarvegorilla likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not being so arrogant that you can't learn something.
    It happens with both young and old , thinking one has a the answers and when confronted with something out side their comfort zone, freeze up in denial .
    Not all things must be carved, sometimes burning unwanted material away works more efficiently .
    How many ways are there to make potable water, make fire, cook, and so on ?
    Years ago a friend taught me how to get rid of hiccups and it works 99% of the time .it was unconventional, but sometimes the unconventional no matter how it works, gets the desired results, none the less.
    I had this idea I had to buy chicken feed, but later I learned all kinds of other things chickens can eat and be just as or more healthy .
    Modern man ( highly educated) tend to think he is confined to the box others have designed ,especially for liability reasons , but the fact of the matter is, people with an agenda will demonize any thing/one that that puts a question on their product .
    I had been looking at some old prep items ,a snake bit kit (Cutter) in particular back from the 50s and 60 ,some of you know what Im talking about.
    It is a method people used that involved cutting the skin and using little suction cups to draw the venom out.
    Whether you accept the idea or not and whether it works or not, there is a psychology abut taking this kind of action, and for the most part it is psychological ,as to where it works or not is another debate, but the fact of the matter is , taking this radical action can calm the victim down and slightly reduce stress and slow the acceleration of blood flow .
    People that teach one another to panic create more problems than solve them .
    Paramedics come on the scene with such casual demeanor, that the bystander is frustrated at the apparent lack of concern , however the one receiving the help is not shown panic and can reduce the panic in them self .
    Clearly if you don't know what your doing in an event, and panic, the multiplication of mistakes are inevitable , the patient sees you are frustrated and inexperienced and they panic as well.
    I have been in situations where in an event several entities converged and had to have their say on how to deal with it, while the victims are 200+ yards away down a steep hill side.
    While the were arguing about who was in charge I rigged the ropes for my team to descend so they could asses the situation more accurately . If I had waited for the chiefs to make a decision nothing would get done.
    If you see smoke , act on what you know needs to be done. Often enough people see a problem and wait for some one else to acknowledge it, and then panic . (deer in headlights )

8. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

Blog Posts:
    Not leaving an itinerary of your intents with someone before venturing into the wilderness. Leave a time of departure, a time of expected arrival and AO with a close friend or spouse before you leave. Over dress properly to protect your core temperature. You can remove layers when needed but you can't add on if you don't have it...

Dom

Swarvegorilla likes this.
  9. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well said...... to just sit and do nothing is a skill. I think Alan from the first season of Alone did that well. He spent hours, still and warm in that tiny shelter, conserving energy. The patience to do this is a serious skill.

Dogrobber, Swarvegorilla and arleigh like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Outstanding , Angus.

11. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This. All the tools, food, money, guns and ammo in the world are worthless to a man who can't think through them. a sad as some of the "survival" TV shows are, the common thread in all is mental stability.

Bill Bartscherer likes this.
  12. Luafcm

Luafcm Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like to think that I have this 'mental stability', but the reality is that I'm very easily amused. A handful of leaf litter is very interesting if you're easily amused. Spending hours sitting content and alone is a more of a personality trait. ...like people who prefer to stare into the fire, as opposed to chatting. I get frustrated sometimes setting up a camp with others. They rush through it and mess up what I figure is the 'way' to do it. I think I'm less stable in a group, so I would say the ability to keep content while bending to the greater will of a survival group is a skill. Call it 'getting along with others' or whatever, but that's a skill I need to work on.

superpaco and Guillaume Longval like this.
  13. Daveboone

Daveboone Tracker

Blog Posts:
    maintaining your health, mental physical. No preps will help you if you break down physically w/o your medications, assist devices, cant walk, have to go through withdrawal (smoking, alcohol or what have you,)etc.

GGTBod, Csp203, Tangotag and 3 others like this.
  14. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mental / psychological strength. Obviously a very difficult thing to train for. Fortifying your provisions, stocking up on resources, and learning how to do things for ones' self are tangible and easily done. But, preparing your mind and spirit for worst case scenarios is way more challenging. Keeping a level head, not panicking, and not compromising your principals, ethics, and morals is [I'm guessing] one of the biggest challenges in the face of fear, the unknown, profound hunger, profound pain, illness, suffering, loss, and danger. The sort of things that brings the worst out in people or the best.

Csp203, thisjohn and savage99nc like this.
  15. Roughneck75

Roughneck75 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Being resourceful, thinking out of the box, being able to repurpose discarded items and common sense. You don't always need a lot of kit to be comfortable and yet cover the basics of shelter, fire, water and food.

boisdarc, bartman and savage99nc like this.
  16. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Being able to talk to people and get along well. Helpful in lots of ways, knowing an extra language common to your area is a big plus.

17. Bill Bartscherer

Bill Bartscherer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The hardest one is to develop a fear of other human beings, fully understanding that the human is the top predator and when pressed will fully commit to taking what is needed by force while looking angelic. The second is fully understanding the value of the CACHE especially during times of confiscation. The third is how rapidly priorities change and the toll it takes on the mind. Surrendering our instinct for compassion trust and the after effects of lethal actions cant be explained only felt. Coping with the loss of identity and structure that we now disregard is in many ways treated in the way we treat oxygen, you don't think about it till its dwindling and then it becomes the only concern. How does one prepare for hell on earth? I will remind you that someone picked up a phone and turned over Anne Frank, knowing that it would not end well, that's the human capacity and it is beyond reason. The division amongst people based on race and faith go back a long way, and cant be hidden, your thoughts and feeling's will have little if any impact on someone who has justified his actions based on this. Stupidity irrational and cruel are the norm and that norm is a hard one to prepare for. A human is a herd animal a social creature, how do you prepare to be inhuman?? Can you ignore a baby's cry or watch another starve and is this skill to survive at all cost truly something you would want.??? I am selfish I love my wife I want my kids to grow and live a happy life, I would give my life to make it so. The question is what am I willing to do? The answer scares me and if it does not scare you, the you are not ready for the sudden shock that can happen in the blink of an eye.

GGTBod, Barry J, thisjohn and 4 others like this.
  18. Bush Otter

Bush Otter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    At first I wanted to jump on the lost , hungry and thirsty train but went back and reread the OP , long term is the subject I thing and doing it from scratch (what is in or heads ) find and process water , food and fire and take good advise when you find it , I was talking to one of my grandsons who was 17 on a rare visit from out of state about type 1 diabetes and the idea that insulin may expire or get used up and he said that you can make insulin from animal organs ( serious process ) I looked it up and it is hard but doable but beats death , I am type 2 and I think the survival low cal diet will assist me in survival of the problem.

savage99nc likes this.
  19. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If I were comfortable that I would not have to bug out of my home, and lived in an area that had a high enough water table I’d either have a well drilled when I could put enough money aside, or I’d buy a well point, casing pipe, and a hand pump and plan to pound a well if the power goes out forever. Even if I have city water now, or a shallow well pump, I’d be ready as potable water more than almost anything else will determine where you will stay if the worst really ever happens.

20. MD Outdoor Reviews

MD Outdoor Reviews Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would say awareness. Being able to understand what is happening at all times will keep you on the right track no matter what. A sharp mind will provide for you always and allow you to fend for yourself. Without that you might just die in a chuck'e'cheese.

21. MD Outdoor Reviews

MD Outdoor Reviews Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sounds yummy!

22. Eagle Scout

Eagle Scout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is a big underated skill, especially in a stressful and high risk environment. There's simply too many people, too many possible situations.

Having the ability influence others to trust and work with you (or together) would be important long term.

23. ClutteredShop

ClutteredShop Scout

Blog Posts:
    Isnalawica and alukban like this.
  24. Primeval

Primeval Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Emotional stability too. Recognize your feelings channeling them towards the task at hand in a positive way. Stress, anxiety, panic, fear, anger, etc. can cloud judgement, negatively affect a person's health and drain energy.

OmegaMan73 likes this.
  25. remington79

remington79 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'll admit I didn't read all 73 posts so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but I would have to say exercise/fitness. There will be a lot of difficulty if you get winded after 100 yards or if you have to wear a pack/split wood/any other task.

26. azratt

azratt Scout

Blog Posts:
    Knots......and how to use them in different settings....my knot foo is weak...lol

remington79 likes this.
  27. Frogfriend

Frogfriend Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Having a backup to your backup plan, because most things don't work the way they were planned

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

28. Erk469

Erk469 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This simple thing may not be a skill but is many many times overlooked, in almost any situation survival or non-survival people just don't take the time to simply just look up and around. That's it just look up. I try and make it a point to do it whenever I go outdoors, no matter what I'm doing.

29. point man

point man Scout

Blog Posts:
    Underrated skill

Prioritizing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

30. AnthonySmithXR

AnthonySmithXR Guide

Blog Posts:
    Cardio and strength training. The single greatest weakness for the vast majority.

31. outkastblast

outkastblast Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cannot agree with this more. "Big" group of guys I work with who are really into the preparedness stuff that couldn't make it down 3 flights of stairs in the event of a fire, let alone hump it to their Bug Out Location (if they have one).

I'll add wild edibles. Seems to me that would be a prudent skill to learn in your specific area. Know what you can use in the event you can't get to your food cache or just need to supplement it.

remington79 and Tangotag like this.
  32. elkhunter

elkhunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Adaptation. Change is constant, from our electronics to have how we view others. To keep your head in the game.... adapt!

remington79 likes this.
  33. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    - Fire

- Ones ability to remain calm and objective

34. doulos

doulos Guide

Blog Posts:
    The spiritual aspect of mental preparedness IMHO. :50:

35. field-expedient

field-expedient Misfit Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Filtering bullshit lol, no seriously. Being able to take all the info thats floating around in the world today, separate the wheat from the chaff then render it into useful skills that YOU can practically put to use is seriously underrated.

Cant do it by being a spectator, you got to get outside and mess with things to really figure it all out.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so"
    Mark Twain.

savage99nc and Guillaume Longval like this.
  36. outbackwack

outbackwack Tracker

Blog Posts:
    All of these are good answers but I'd have to go with common sense and keeping your composure to use it. A cool mind can accomplish many things. Think before acting. My best bud keeps preaching to think 2 steps ahead.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

NJHeart2Heart and savage99nc like this.
  37. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Keeping your wife happy, and not punching your boss.

38. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Something Im dealing with lately is dealing with death and or those very close to death.
    post SHTF it will be commonplace but developing the thick skin to deal with it initially , will take time .

savage99nc likes this.
  39. Wasp

Wasp Scout

Blog Posts:
    Food procurement. Be it plants, trapping, survival fishing, etc. most people can figure out basic shelter building, water procurement is difficult but doable with some knowledge, fire building is difficult but many have the ability. But even many hunters and bushcrafters don't know enough about how to trap, survival fishing (little gear), or edible plants. Even people who have knowledge don't have hands on experience and that is where you get into trouble.

I'm no pro but I have some skill and am constantly trying to learn others. I need major help in edible plants. I have a few books but it's hard to get hands on without someone showing you in person IMO.

outbackwack likes this.
  40. 55dougie

55dougie Scout

Blog Posts:
    plant id. and their uses.....

41. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Friends. Building new networks based on trust and shared values.

I taught a class on building ad hoc trust based relationships, it's hard to do in ordinary circumstances much less in adverse ones.

This community is an excellent example of one. I think we all know of bad examples.

riverrunner and savage99nc like this.
  42. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    most important.....not getting in that situation in the first place. dont buy a home in a flood plain or where wild fires sweep through every couple of years. if you live on the coast with a storm coming and the gov. tells you to evacuate.. GET OUT. dont go to demonstrations, sports championship riots, etc. clear dead brush away from your home for in case of wildfire. RELIABLE transportation thats big enough to take what you need/want. ( ya photos, pets, your great grandmothers doily......) peddle bikes dont cut it. too slow. if at all possible an evacuation rt that dose not include being with the other X-100,000+ people leaving the A.O.

43. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

Blog Posts:
    serenity no not in the biblical sense but being able too think in a diferent manner than you usually do dont over think things concentrate on the simple matters at hand............food............water.................shelter dont worry about the other things in life like will i be found where should i go focus on the things you can change and worry about the other thins when the situation improves it may take a while if the world is in kaos so focus on youre needs first.

44. Leshy

Leshy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hiding Bushcraft gear receipts from SWMBO ... That's a skill and essential for my survival. [emoji41]

GGTBod and CaptainHaddock like this.
  45. doulos

doulos Guide

Blog Posts:
    For me it's keeping my big mouth shut... dang that's hard sometimes! :(

Seriously though, keeping still is an often underrated bushcraft skill.

Frogfriend and CaptainHaddock like this.
  46. randyt

randyt Guide

Blog Posts:
    improvise, adapt and overcome

47. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As far as underrated survival skills go, my entry is this.

When camping for several days, I always try to keep my camp clean and organized. Setting a routine while in camp is important to me. It helps to keep track of my gear, my food and other supplies. I know where to look if I need something in the middle of the night.

Organization is a good habit to develop wherever you are and what you're doing. I sometimes drive my Wife nuts. I guess I've got a mild OCD condition. It suits me, though.

Steve

48. Nakadnu

Nakadnu OBSERVER Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    In my humble opinion the #1 most under rated skill in a long term (1 week or more) SHTF scenario is the ability to judge and understand people and their true nature or intentions. For most of us here I feel we have the sense and skill to cover the basic human needs.
    I look around the little community I live in and there are a lot of people willing to give a helping hand to those in need and just as many who are willing to take advantage of those people. But when you can't access your bank account or buy groceries those people who once were generous and caring individuals could very likely do a 180 and become enemy #1.
    This is under the worst case scenario of course. It all depends on what type of crisis we are dealing with.
    Check out this guy's videos. A lot of common sense and good info.

49. Sealbilly

Sealbilly Guide

Blog Posts:
    I saw this thread several weeks ago but didn't reply because I needed to ponder a while. I am at my place on the creek and I have come to the conclusion that the most underrated skill is organization.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Guillaume Longval likes this.
  50. Leshy

Leshy Scout

Blog Posts:
    The most underrated survival skill in my opinion, is to actually believe that you WILL survive ! Or WILL be rescued!

Positive thinking is my entry for this thread.

Without that frame of mind , or that belief, chances are that you won't.

The human ability to thrive and adapt under the most adverse conditions for long periods of time, have surprised many rescuers and/or survival experts.
    And often , just determination and or the knowing that you will make it out , is enough to actually keep you alive.

Many rescuers are surprised at how these people have survived for so long in these conditions, and the only explanation they can conceive is that it must be a miracle or god's will.
    Or that they were very lucky etc.

I believe that it's staying positive and not giving up .
    That , coupled with a bit of knowledge in survival and a little bit of luck and you'll have the perfect ingredients for a successful rescue and/or Survival .

GGTBod likes this.