What is your 'medicine'?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Talfuchre, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Talfuchre

Talfuchre Guest

Blog Posts:
    I was reading Kephart's book on Camping and he talked about the Native American concept of Medicine - and he said that almost everyone he knew had some sort of 'medicine'.

His was an old cup that he took great pains to find and fit perfectly in his coffee pot. He took it everywhere and people thought it was stupid (no handle) but he would not be caught without it.

What is the thing you always bring out in the woods with you - your medicine?

TF

2. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Either a good hat, a good book, one of my pipes, or a journal...

PMZ

3. 556mp

556mp Bushmaster Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good post. I'd have to say, oddly enough, My pack. No matter where I go, what gear I take, who I go with. I take the same pack. Different knives, axes, saw etc. Always the same pack. It's like home. Like My car, but for my back. But besides that, my 3 cup pot. That has come basicly everywhere with me as well, but it's about to be replaced :eek:

4. Driftingrz

Driftingrz Guide

Blog Posts:
    sadly i dont have the 1 item anymore.. it was my alice pack.. it was always with me.. either loaded with bush gear or loaded with clothes or other stuff if i was traveling without the frame... so nothing at the moment

5. raschalt2000

raschalt2000 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Eye drops. Most cuts can wait till i get back home or i can use pine pitch. But there i little i can do about some thing in my eye with dirty hands while in the woods.

6. madmax

madmax Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Well, for the past few years I've used one Leki hiking pole. I've got 3 of them exactly alike (don't ask), but I always use the same one. It's not "bushy" at all. It has a shock absorber in it :34:. It's collapsible. I never do. It's not "customized". I've got a pile of carved and blinged staffs in a corner. It won't beat off a hungry bear (it's aluminum). But I did run over it with my truck once. I have no idea why, but I grab that thing everytime I go to the woods. Wish I had a cool quirky thing I take...

7. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    My Bible. Thats strong medicine

8. Crafter

Crafter Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1

I feel the same, There's something empowering about a walking stick, besides the fact that is practical, don't know where this comes from, but I venture an hypothesis:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sceptre

9. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i've got an old dogtag chain with something on it... that's my 'medicine'.

as far as gear, there's a few specific items i always take: hammock, hiking staff, compass, SAK, and a few others... but they're all replaceable...

10. Bush Otter

Bush Otter Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yep kinda like American Express for the immortal soul.

11. J

J Bushwhacker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My very used and loved Guyot/GSI combo thats been baptised in fire many times over. Bottom is all bent in, neck is bent too. Cup has rainbow annod from all the heat...Just been a good comapadre. Many cups of coffee, and occasional fingers of whiskey around a fire with good friends.

12. Mr.Black

Mr.Black WILDEROXEN Tracker Pack #1 Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Medicine Bundles, bags,Rawhide Cases to me Charms of great meaning that can be a first Good Arrowhead you made, a bit of coal from a great or famous camp fire a lock of hair of a spouse I have my medicine bundles that I have added bits to for Thirty years all very meaningful and personnel not treasures or anything of great value other than the connection to the bit and the Memory or event...memory aid?.Medicine Shields like Protector with a connection and tale meaningful to you good luck,Protection.

A Challenge coin in a Wallet a dog tag of yours or a old Mate all Medicine IMO
    Places Some places are calming you feel alive you can have one or many you will know when you get there. Good medicine place again its yours kinda a gift for you
    we pick up on Bad Medicine places too again you will know where those are at when you get there.
    I dont know if I will ever understand "Medicine" but its Crystal clear lol
    Wow I better go to bed lol

M/BK

13. Taliesin

Taliesin Guide

Blog Posts:
    Aspirin, I always have it with me out in the woods! Oh wait a minute, you were talking about a "lucky charm"! I actually don't have one. That's not to say I might not have one later on, though.

14. Looker

Looker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wear a religious medallion around my neck. It has Saint Christopher on one side, and the U.S. Navy logo on the other. My parents gave it to me when I left for boot camp in 1993 and I've been wearing it ever since. For those who don't know, Saint Christopher is the patron saint of sailors and travelers.

After breaking (wearing out) several chains over the years, I now wear it on a piece of green paracord.

Looker

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  15. acelticwarrior

acelticwarrior Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Proverbs 17:22 (AMP) A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing, but a broken spirit dries up the bones.

16. Talfuchre

Talfuchre Guest

Blog Posts:
    Looker - I have one just like that but it has the EGA on the back (Eagle Globe and Anchor). I wore it through bootcamp.

I am not an overtly religious person so I do not wear it any more. However, I am glad Sgt. Mac carries his bible - that dude needs all the help he can get! ;)

Also - I REALLY like that Psalm AW - seems very true.

I am not sure what my medicine is - that is why I brought it up. However, the last few years it has been the knife on my hip. I have only carried a few on a regular basis - and I love my current few. I feel like I can get a lot done if I have my knife. It makes me feel more secure in the woods.

TF

17. NorthernBushcraft

NorthernBushcraft Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The knife I wear on my belt, above all else holds the most medicine for me. Second would be my fire kit. Those 2 items are almost like an invisible shield for me.

18. Mr.Black

Mr.Black WILDEROXEN Tracker Pack #1 Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Elvis was asked by a reporter why he wore a Cross and the Star of David

Elvis answered that he did not want to miss out on Heaven on a Technicality

What I thought odd he also sported a TCB Taking care of Buisness...With a big Lightning bolt through it?
    And died from too much Medicine:eek:

Ok Good night all
    M/BK

19. hughhaff

hughhaff Scout

Blog Posts:
    My Case XX pocket knife with antler handles. I take it everywhere and it's in every pocket of jeans/shorts I wear if I'm going to the field or to a wedding, always there. I lost it once, fell out of my pocket in my truck, for a few days and it was like losing my right arm.

20. probie

probie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A small dice that i found in the dead of night in a gravel lot by random, and a handcuff key. when people ask why i say the dice is for good luck and the key is to get me out of trouble when the luck fails:4:

21. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    My US knife. Was given to me by a good friend of mine and it hasnt left my pockets since. I was sad i couldnt get it in good working order until recently. Its the smoothest pocket knife ive ever owned, its always in my pockets.

-Brandon

22. Hiwa

Hiwa Guide

Blog Posts:
    Same here. Nothing holds more value to me in the woods and gives me pleasure in using them.

23. zero40484

zero40484 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My Pappaws wallet. He was alllways a strong man even when faced with his mortality
    If I measure up to be 1/4 the man he was I'll be bettor off that 99% of the folks in the world right now.
    It's a goal I may never see but I give it my all every day and his wallet is a reminder
    It's a comforting weight from a different time

24. mbiraman

mbiraman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of things that represent different aspects of medicine to me. A medicine bundle,,,,,my neck knife that i made myself,,,a bottle of homeopathic rescue remedy and my Mbira when weight permits. Mbira is the spiritual instrument of the Shona people of the Zimbabwe area. I got connected 14 yrs ago,,learned to play,,have a few wonderful teachers and had the good fortune to perform for yrs,,. Here's a couple of young fella's from New Mexico playing a well known song Bangiza. There's usually two people playing ,each with their own part of the song that goes together. In this clip one fellow is playing for the first 2 minutes then the other fellow joins in with the Hosho/ shaker player. enjoy.

Bangidza - YouTube

25. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My Grandfather's watch and a Marble's compass are very good medicine right now.

26. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    +1.....I have a small pocket size New Testament for the bush.

27. OzaawaaMigiziNini

OzaawaaMigiziNini Guide

Blog Posts:
    A piece of Wiikae. Some call it Rat Root, others call it Sweet Flag. Protection and healing.

It also keeps AnEnglishManInOntario at bay.

28. spyder1958

spyder1958 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Small pocket knife for as long as I can remember is my main one, will not get dressed without. #2- Bear claw necklace and a small ceramic stone fitted inside a wooden case. It was broken by a coworker who dropped it, but I always have it with my knife. I've had it at least 30 yrs now. I've been meaning to make a new one some day. But then I'd have to carry two of them:4:

29. Dirtymike

Dirtymike Scout

Blog Posts:
    Usally beer

30. petrifiedwood

petrifiedwood Guest

Blog Posts:
    I wear a wallet chain. I know this isn't really bushcrafty, but I even wear my wallet when I'm out in the woods. It has my hunting and fishing license in it, and it will help ID my corpse if something bad happens to me.

So the thing is, even though over the years I've had plenty of wallets, the one thing that has remained constant is the chain. It has been with me daily for close to two decades. It's the one item that hasn't changed. Keys change as locks change. Knives and belts and shoes and boots all change eventually, but this wallet chain has been with me for half my life or more.

31. dixie

dixie Guest

Blog Posts:
    my medicine pouch. :)

32. Ranger Gord

Ranger Gord Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I found a spoon, lying in the road when I was hitchhiking in Aus years ago. after wrapping a piece of shoelace from my pair of long retired hiking boots, it has become my "combat spoon" and now goes with me on all of my outdoor adventures.

33. VinoNoir

VinoNoir Guide

Blog Posts:
    A 1943 Liberty Half dollar I found on the floor, in a honky tonk, in Houston. Always stays in my wallet.

Also my Farmer pocket knife.

34. MedicineMan68

MedicineMan68 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My wedding ring, Grandpappy's dog tag from ww2, other grandpappys pocket knife. Also a saint christophers medal I wore on my dog tags and a rosary my buddies mom gave me before I left for the military (ain't christian, but I figure it can't hurt, right?). On me every time I step on the ambulance, in the woods. Period.

35. longrifle54

longrifle54 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seans fortified compound via carrier pigeon
    My Medicine bag(I made the bag, and it has changed over the years, as they wear out)

It has: a lock of my daughters hair, a lock of my first dogs hair, antler tip from my first deer, sliver of antler from the deer my grandpa shot teh year I was born, my original dog tags, my original jump wings, 4 pennies that I found on the same(heads up), a 1922 silver dollar that my grandpa carried on a money clip for many years, a .45 round(so I am never out of ammo)

Always on my keychain, or on my belt when in the field or at a shoot.

36. dwightp

dwightp Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Recent North Florida transplant from Northwest Geo
    My Bible.....it's really been some miles over the years.

37. w9trb

w9trb Scout

Blog Posts:
    A Buck 112 knife that I long ago broke the tip off and reshaped the blade. I feel like I'vebeen cheating on it, since I started hanging out here and bought a Mora and an Izula. (Maybe I should put this information in the true confessions thread)!

38. Antig

Antig Scout

Blog Posts:
    My Victorinox Swisschamp SAK. I carry it on my belt all day every day whether I'm in the bush or not. I may forget my wallet but I'll never forget my Swisschamp.

39. saintnick001

saintnick001 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I recently made a small "medicine bag" that I started wearing around my neck on my last trip out. Like Mr. Black said, you can put anything in it. It will keep memories for me.

40. finallyME

finallyME Tracker

Blog Posts:
    vitamin I, :) . That is great medicine, especially after a long hike. For equipment, I would say my SAK. I couldn't find it a couple weeks ago, didn't take it into the woods, and everything seemed to go wrong.

41. Flag_Mtn_Hkrs

Flag_Mtn_Hkrs Scout

Blog Posts:
    I guess my medicine is my hat and my leatherman.

I take my hat everywhere. It is getting worn and frayed but a Tilley to the end.

Leatherman is just always there. I only take it off when I have to go to the courts, which I do a lot. Then I put it back as soon as I am back in the Jeep.

42. SkyPainter

SkyPainter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A knife. Doesn't even matter which - I NEVER go into the woods without at least one, preferably four, all for different tasks.

If told I had to drop onto the planet naked, but could take just one item with me, it would be a good knife. With one, I can make clothes, shelter, weapons, traps, navigate, prepare food, hunt, fish, defend myself and survive comfortably anyplace.

A good knife is my medicine.

43. TopherBean

TopherBean Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have an old girl scouts of America mess kit that was my mother's. I get some sideways looks when I use it but I am very comfortable with what it has to offer and enjoy using it for all of my meals.

44. man_of_tanith

man_of_tanith Tracker

Blog Posts:
    for me my medicine is a little mascot soft toy badger called boris
    he has done both the woodlore courses i have attended and almost all my camping trips(except when my swine of a mate has badgernapped him) my step daughter absolutely loves seeing the photos of what boris has done whilst out in the woods with me.
    day to day medicine is a zippo my fiancee bought me a canoe style pocket knife bought for me by my sister and thats all i need

45. Sparks

Sparks Scout

Blog Posts:
    The love of the Lord .. He watches over fools and Bushcrafters Dont know which I am however

46. Talfuchre

Talfuchre Guest

Blog Posts:
    Ibuprofen? ;)

47. smokewalker

smokewalker Guide

Blog Posts:
    In my medicine pouch is a piece of petrified ceder I found while saddling my Horse on the second morning of rounding up spring calves 40+ yrs ago, the casing and slug from a 45 LC the first white tail taken with a hand gun. A small concho from my Grandaddys saddle, A braided length of hair from my first born, A small piece of cloth form the uniform of a fallen comrade whom I will never forget & a pebble from Lebanon

48. Adam

Adam Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good thread.

I don’t really have anything that is die-hard never leave without it, but my old RAT Cutlery RC-4 is pretty high up there. I just don’t go many places without it when it comes to the woods.

As far as real medicine, having my dog with me in the woods is one a really enjoy. When he’s cooped up in the house, he can get a little wild, but get him out in the woods and he is a completely different dog. I hope he enjoys my company half as much as I enjoy his.

49. T MAC

T MAC Old Squid Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I take my pocket sized New Testament; very strong medicine.

50. Blackbird

Blackbird Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This was surprisingly kinda hard, but my old mess utensil knife my great-grandpa gave me is always with me. My old burnt black metal coffee cup is usually in my hand 'less I'm drinking whiskey. My leather cap and belt are always on me. I take my old lazy leather coat camping even in the summer time - it doubles as a pillow. So I guess it's one of those?