What Kind of Mess Kits Do You Guys Use? Post Pic Please.

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Grizzix, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Grizzix

Grizzix Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am looking to replace my mess kit and was looking for ideas. This isn't a "what is the best mess kit?" thread, I just wanted to see some pics to get ideas for what would meet my needs. I currently have an aluminum Swedish mess kit and am just looking for something different. Any and all Ideas are welcome...ESPECIALLY WITH PICS! :D Thanks guys.

Grizz

2. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like the USGI canteen cup and meat can combo. You can boil water in one and fry bacon in the other.

3. kgd

kgd Dr. Fishguts Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I pretty much just carry a bottle cup and a baby bush pot. Once in awhile I'll add in a nesting GSI shallow pot that nests with the baby bush pot. That and a little grill (made for cooling cookies and picked up at a cooking outlet for $1) is mostly what I carry. I do have a trangia set up that I drag with me car camping and had it at the meet-up last week.

4. Mrwhitetailfanatic

Mrwhitetailfanatic Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I have a few that I like but recently its just been a Zebra pot with a nesting cup under my Guyot and a plastic cup inside the Zebra and a TI LMF spork. I also have the Stanley Adventure with a GSI glacier nested on it with one of the cups inside that and the Guyot rest just enough in that to fit in a Maxped 5x10 with enough room to add a stove.

5. TaigaTreader

TaigaTreader Scout

Blog Posts:
  6. PoPo

PoPo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use a surplus French kit. Square fry pan, square bowl/plate, and a smaller square bowl. Pretty compact all in all.

7. rdec

rdec Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It depends on what you call a "mess kit".

The first kit is a set (3 qt, 2 qt,) of billy pots with skillet lids. I replaced the 1 qt. pot with a Bushpot coffee percolator. The 1 qt. pot is carried as a small solo kit. A 9" carbon steel skillet is also in this kit, designed for 4 people.

The second kit is much larger, of thick aluminum on the order of the Boy Scout Trail Chef and can cook for 6+ people.I think I might sell this since it is really bigger than I need. The largest pot is about 8 qts.

The third kit is a GI Mountain cookset with 2 2 qt aluminum pots and a stainless steel skillet that can cook for 3-4.

The fourth kit is a new one for me for two. The pots are 48 oz, 32 oz. and 16 oz. and a 7" carbon steel skillet.

The fifth kit is a new make stainless steel canteen and cup with the "L" handle - better suited than the butterfly handle for use with an open fire. Not shown in the GI open bottom stand/stove.

The first, second and third kits have bail handles for hanging over an open fire. I made a set of light pot chains for this pupose.

The fourth and fifth kits have side handles more suitable for use with a stove.

I'm in the process of designing and making kitchen/food packs to carry the larger kits and accessories for use in a canoe or vehicle.

I have no pictures but other kits are:

Esbit .5 liter pot, lid & windscreen/pot stand, spoon, folding cup, small bowl, I carry this in a daypack.

Ultralight Solo cook set: sil-nylon stuff sack 10.6 oz.
    water heating for beverage and freezer bag meals
    Heiniken keg can, pot stand, lid, windscreen, folding cup.

Brunton IB cook set, net stuff sack for solo actual cooking.

Ultralight Solo Plus 1 cook set: net stuff sack
    BrassLite .8L. titanium pot w/cozy, lid, 2 folding cups

All of these kits are packed with a variety of accessories, sporks, stoves, etc

The Swedish folding cups, both large (20 oz.) and small (8 oz.) nest inside each other, giving you a bowl and cup about the size of a hockey puck. They are also very durable and light.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  8. Taliesin

Taliesin Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use a knockoff Boy Scout Mess kit and a USGI canteen cup. So far they seem to work ok. I tend to carry a small bottle of olive oil with me so stuff doesn't stick to the frying pan. Scrambled eggs can be a pill to clean.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  9. OddTheViking

OddTheViking Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lately I have been using a Coleman anodized cookset. I got mine at wally world.

The larger pot nests with a Nalgene. A butane canister and backpacking stove fit inside the small pot perfectly.

10. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    depends what i'm doing, but let's assume the most common, a backpacking-light canoe trip. (If there are no portages, i'll add a dutch oven and a set of fire pipes.)

that means a Mors Pot. Inside that i have a Kool-Aid container in which i 'cook' my dehydrated meals, and a foam cozy in which to set it... this also prevents it rattling around. my sole utensil is a spoon, with a little bit of the handle cut off (just enough to get it to fit inside the pot). i also have a lexan mug that nests on the bottom of a 32 oz water bottle.

that's it. i can fry bacon on a stick. breakfast oatmeal goes in the kool-aid container. tea goes in the cup (can use the lid of the kool-aid container if i'm going WAY light). lunch is cold. dinner, as mentioned, goes in the kool-aid container. cleanup is too simple. no pot to wash, and the kool-aid container gets a handful of sand and some soap, a cup or two of water, a shake or three, and a rinse.

11. samuraipastormike

samuraipastormike Scout

Blog Posts:
    Where did you get that stainless canteen? I have been searching far and wide for them!!!!!!!

12. J

J Bushwhacker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  13. borumas

borumas Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I use 3 different setups:

Scout Mess Kit:
    [​IMG]

Military kit (canteen cup stove, canteen cup, and cup cover) with a squishy bowl as well:
    [​IMG]

A coffee can billy, olicamp cup, and 2 different sized fold-a-cups (nalgene bottle is inside the billy/olicamp cup):
    [​IMG]

I have a hard time deciding whether I like the GI kit or the scout kit best, both are great in my opinion.

14. Redhound80

Redhound80 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Grizzix here are some I have and use:

USGI Mess Kit and canteen cup.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coleman Stanless Steel Boy Scout like / type.
    [​IMG]

Baking bannock in the Coleman and the USGI
    [​IMG]

For the one person just boil water kit, an Esbit
    [​IMG]

Or a Crusader with cooker and lid.
    [​IMG]

Crusader with the handle that is sold for it to suspend over a fire.
    [​IMG]

Part of the British issue Mess Tins.
    [​IMG]

The other part of the British Mess Tins. The smaller rectangle pot sits inside the larger one for storage.
    [​IMG]

Gordy

15. Miles Thundergass

Miles Thundergass Tracker

Blog Posts:
    An unapologetically lightweight backpacking cook kit, mainly for boiling water and rehydrating dried foods.
    Packed kit: Evernew 0.9-liter pot with lid, Lexan spoon, and homemade Reflectix cozy. [​IMG]
    Unpacked: Clockwise from the top: plastic REI cup (volume 1¾ cups) sitting atop an aluminum ground protector, spoon and cozy, “Bic-type lighter, Esbit fuel tabs, Fuel tab holder/pot stand, pot and lid, homemade titanium windscreen.
    [​IMG]
    Total weight 11.3 oz.

16. thatGuy

thatGuy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great looking cozy Miles.. where did you get it?

17. rdec

rdec Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-s...568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a71016370

For the stainless steel canteen. A little heavy but they are clean, tasteless and durable. These fit a tiny bit loose in the GI cup so I suggest getting the cup made for it, unless you like rattling with every step.

Both cup styles - "L"-handle and buterfly handles - are available but not always from the same vendor. Canteen and cup run around $25 set. These fit into the GI cover.

Here is a set:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-s...874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc48caada

I also came across:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...744?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43af128e70

I have had the Gott version for years and it is the best vacuum bottle I ever had. Keeps coffee drinkably hot for at least 8 hours, pour-thru stopper, cup included, 24 oz. capacity and fits into a standard canteen cover. Hurry, the bid will close in a day from 27APR2012.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  18. Two Rivers

Two Rivers Guide

Blog Posts:
    I take my Stanley cook pot minus 1 cup and a GSI cup.

19. Frontier211

Frontier211 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Don't have it solved, so I'll be readin this one too...

20. dailyselfreliance

dailyselfreliance Scout

Blog Posts:
  21. IamLegend

IamLegend Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Where can I get a squishy and or collapsable cup? Btw I use a Mors pot most of the time lately (for the past year or so anyway)

22. samuraipastormike

samuraipastormike Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks

23. strongblackcoffee

strongblackcoffee Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Miles, I have the same pot. I have removed all the plastic bits to use it over the fire.

Also, I have a US Canteen and cup, a snowpeak titanium spork and a snowpeak insulated titanium mug.

That's about it.

24. Miles Thundergass

Miles Thundergass Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Whipped it up out of Reflectix, Gorilla Tape, and velcro.

25. Juice

Juice Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use a grease pot, no name stainless cup I've had for years, and a cheap hobo tool. I try to keep my gear simple, cheap and light.

26. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    How do you like the Brit. mess tins? I've been thinking of picking one of these kits up but in the pictues they always appear real flimsy like they wouldn't hold up.

27. Redhound80

Redhound80 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like them alot! They are sturdy, in my opinion; much more so than my stainless Coleman Scout type mess kit.

Gordy

28. TomcatPC

TomcatPC Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great to see I'm not the only person likes the British issue mess tins. I got into using them for WWII Living History and have found them sturdy. The Post-WWII (Recent at least) Dutch mess tins are a direct copy of the British mess tins. I also like the German Mess Tin as well. I have always loved the US Canteen Cup, I like the older folding handle version over the never wire "butterfly" handle version.
    Mark

29. MysticFlight

MysticFlight Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Been using a conglomeration of Coleman, Stanley and other miscellaneous stuff but just bought a Swiss army mess kit in the trade blanket to be my new goto kit :)

30. Bushcraftgeek

Bushcraftgeek Guide

Blog Posts:
    What kind i know of about 5 different kinds there is the rei ones
    http://tinyurl.com/ct6f2v7

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-X-Cup-Collapsible-Cup/dp/B004VKVMDO

also these ones are the orange ones in first post outdoor products versions
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63913

http://www.dentakit.com/foldingcup.html

and last but not least also has metal versions
    http://www.amazon.com/Coleman®-16-Oz-Collapsible-Tumbler/dp/B006UK5C8E

These are ones i know. of ofcourse you can find them elsewhere for probably cheaper but this gives some ideas of what there is :) I couldn't help myself but amazon and ebay are good places to check.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  31. demonslaer

demonslaer Scout

Blog Posts:
    swiss mess kit. my 1st one 20+ years old thats all I ever use

32. Grizzix

Grizzix Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the input guys. I'm partial to the surplus kits myself. most of them are just all around solid. Has anyone used or owned a Czech mess kit before? I'm trying to see how solid it is. I like the look and size but wanted to know how sturdy the handles are. I'm trying to decide between the Czech, Brittish or Scout mess kits right now. They all seem to be reasonably priced. The search contiues...

33. mbcruzin

mbcruzin Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Have a texsport version of the boy scout mess kit that I've had for years. A Coleman anodized al set that I have been using very heavely after I ditched the beer can ultra lite set up and I just found out how to bake on it. Been playing around with some pots from www.batchstovez.com . Oh and I just bought a USGI mess lit and canteen cup set to play around with. I'll try and post some pics soon.

34. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Trying to change my kit in line with reducing my overall weight to minus 35 pounds or so .
    I really like that GSI pot and squishy bucket I just don't want to pay for all those plastic cups inside . I just use the Esbit cheapy stove and a canteen cup .

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  35. PA Ranger

PA Ranger Guest

Blog Posts:
    My standard mess kit is a G.I. issue set that my dad got for me when he was out on drill while in the Army Reserves. The thing is a tank! I still have all of the original utensils that were included!

[​IMG]

Of course, I still have the stainless canteen cup from my canteen set-up from when I served. It is an integral part of the set. I know a few fellows who use the canteen cup exclusively - they're not too keen on washing dishes in the field.

[​IMG]

36. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm not much for mess kits per se. When doing a long backpacking trip, I now take a Snow Peak 900 ti "cookset" which is light but mostly just good as a pot.

When any real cooking is going to happen, and weight isn't so much of an issue, I generally carry a 775ml MSR Stowaway pot (not pictured) and a Paderno 6ish inch steel skillet.

[​IMG]

37. HighOutdoors

HighOutdoors Scout

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One setup with GSI Dualist stainless and Soto microregulator stove.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Another setup if I want a second container and don't want to carry fuel. Or sometimes its just the MSR Titan with either the Solo Stove or the Soto.

Bail mods on both pots make cooking over the fire a very viable option and my preferred method. The cozies save fuel, make rehydrating easier, and keeps my tea hot. :)

Take care out there, HighOutdoors.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  38. Keoni

Keoni Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have an aluminum Swedish kit but you are trying to replace that sooooo....I mostly carry my PF water bottle, SS cup and stove along with a Tranjia burner that all fit in a Condor H20 pouch. I've used the cheap Texsport boy scout mess kit and did OK with them but got them pretty beat up after one day of use. I recently picked up a 1.8L Mors pot and I like it a lot but I haven't had a chance to use it more than twice over a fire. With all my kits (except PF kit) I pack the Swedish 20 ox. Fold-A-Cup and a LMF Ti spork.

39. canoesonmyfeet

canoesonmyfeet Scout

Blog Posts:
    kelly kettle scout
    kelly kettle cookset
    enamelware cup
    plastic cup
    ss silverware

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  40. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a 20 gallon tote full of cooking kits/pots etc
    [​IMG]
    not long ago I decided the little stanley adventure kit was not up to what I wanted to boil water . So I ordered a snow peak kettle #1 this thing is great have not had it in the woods but I have used it in back yard in my den etc. looking over my stuff I came up with this set small stainless/copper pot,
    snowpeak kettle, silicone bowl from walmart, cup from stanley set, gsi folding spoon and salt/pepper shaker and a tea ball. Bandana to put between pots and generally handy the bag I made today from goodwill cloth on my old hand crank sewing machine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Continued

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  41. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heat for this kit will be an emberlit or pocket rocket
    Roy

42. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I've got 17+ years using my army surplus G.I. mess kit for bow hunting season for deer.

43. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Things that nest in my Bush Pot

[​IMG]

My French Mess Kit if the former is not enough

[​IMG]

44. Sheriff_Of

Sheriff_Of Tracker

Blog Posts:

45. rdec

rdec Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Notes in the stainless steel canteens and cups -

The GI issue is as good as it gets, the NATO (Crusader) set is also good. Don't bother with the Rothco stuff.

The GI issue stainless canteens are all old, but perfectly usable. The trouble is that they are now collectors items and priced high. If you do get one, shop around for extra cork seals, they are the only part that wears out or stiffens with age. The aluminum canteens are lighter, but give a metallic taste to the water.

The GI issue canteen cups will fit the old metal canteens, the new plastic canteens and the look-alikes (BHI, Nalgene etc.). In plastics, I prefer the BHI/Nalgene - the GI plastics tend to give a flavor to the water I find unappealing.

The new, Chinese made stainless steel canteens are pretty good but are just enough smaller that they rattle in the issue cup. If you get one, get the cup with it. The tiny reduction in size makes it easier to get the canteen and cup out of the carrier.

There are three types of canteen stoves available. The old GI type has an open bottom and fits any of the cups, including the new Chinese cups mentioned above. The new GI type is cup shaped, fits any of the cups, but requires the butterfly handles. The Canteen Shop stove fits any of the cups and is used upside down with the cup sitting atop. This is the one to get for a twig fire.

There are two types of handles - the older is U-shaped and snaps under the cup. This one is easier to use with an open fire since the handle sticks out. The slot punched in the handle takes a GI fork for a handle extension. The twin butterfly handles are newer, required for the new stove cup, work well with stoves but get really hot over a fire.

The setup I use now is the Chinese stainless steel canteen & cup with the U-shaped handle, the open-bottom GI stove/stand used with tablets (Esbit, trioxane or hexamine) or an alcohol stove. It is carried in a BHI cover, modified to fit the cup and added MOLLE connectors. A second cover, modified in the same way carries an extra canteen OR a Gott vacuum canteen OR a bottle of Survival Tabs (provides an emergency food supply and a second wide-mouth water carrier. The front pocket on the BHI cover holds both bottles of the Potable Aqua PA Plus water purification tablets. I carry the two canteens and other field gear on a Condor Battle Belt.

46. dustinf

dustinf Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I usually just carry one titanium pot, and the lid for it that doubles as a frying pan.

[​IMG]

47. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I still come back to a trangia 27 or the original GSI anodized boiler 2 pot set , on a optimus 8R or pocket rocket. I do see the snow peak kettle getting lots of use and I am liking my emberlit
    Roy

48. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’ve had the ideal in mind of assembling an enamelware cook set. Today I stopped at the Hispanic grocery store and found some bowls for $3. I dug out a small aluminum plate from my campware hoard to use as a lid.

The bowl is fairly small…about 14oz in practical capacity. It has about the same volume as the Trangia 28 in the first photo. I did a “Ramen test” on my titanium Kovea Supalight stove. There’s just enough room to cook a single package and I had to lower the flame to avoid boil-over. There should be plenty of room to heat a can of stew or chili.

I’m not quite happy with fit of the lid/plate. I know I’ve seen stainless dishes in several diameters at an Asian store or market…just have to remember which one.

Still a work in progress...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

49. MercuryFMJ

MercuryFMJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Many years ago I used a trangia set, extremely good cook set for 3 or 4 people. I took it on my own or with 1 other a fewtimes because I didn't know anything different.
    Later I gt a 750ml stowaway pot and used that with a can stove and an esbit stove as a pot stand because I didn't have anything else. I used just the one pot and a metal mug.

Then I discovered canteen sets! Does the same thing as my stowaway pot and cup and esbit stand, all the size of a single canteen which holds water too. I haven't actually used them except at home because I've been sick forever but I have the pathfinder stainless set, the usgi cup with canteen shop stove and nalgene canteen and the British crusader canteen set. Heads up the crusader has a crappy stove stand and doesn't nest well.

50. YO435

YO435 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Olicamp

The last few overnighters I've taken an Olicamp, (same as the stove people), cook pot. It holds 24 oz of liquid/food. It's aluminum as are the generous, (long), swing-out handles. Good little cooker with an anodized coating. Doesn't come with a lid, but I had one that fit, with a wooden lift knob.