What type of Dog

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Sgt. Mac, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    When out in the bush what type of dog do you bring with, or what would be your ultimate Bush Dog and why

2. Ripmyfly

Ripmyfly Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am currently dogless but I do have a.... well i wont go there :). If I wanted strictly a dog for the bush or survival aid I would get another Catahoula Leopard Curr. Incredible dogs & will tear a pit bull up!

3. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    lol Rip, I wont go there either. Catahoula, intresting.

4. Ripmyfly

Ripmyfly Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mother-in Law

quintonhall and shotgunpapa like this.
  5. Ripmyfly

Ripmyfly Guide

Blog Posts:
    Read up on them, the Catahoula is a amazing breed. Awesome story anyway. I have had 2 of them & they are awesome but will kill any dog that comes in their space.... and I mean any.

6. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    My Presa

This is my woods buddy. She is a 1 yr old Presa. Great protector, very smart, and camouflaged.

[​IMG]

7. Ripmyfly

Ripmyfly Guide

Blog Posts:
    Shes beautiful!!!

8. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Guide

Blog Posts:
    aussie

I have a little aussie sheperd. she is really good at locating water holes in the desert and catching rabbits and quail.

she can also stay on a nearly invisible trail in the boonies. And i like her company, she is the only woods savvy female i have ever met.

tomahawk

9. Rubarb

Rubarb Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Not my dog but my cousins, sadly she is no longer with us as she had cancer of the spine and had to be put down, the dog that is not my cousin.

[​IMG]

10. moose

moose Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would take a cross sh£tzu/st barnard, dont know if this is possible but would be fun to see the outcome......it could carry my brandy and make me a spring roll all at the same time........Awesome!

11. irrationalsolutions

irrationalsolutions Guest

Blog Posts:
    my little angel is a beagle. she is pretty good if i keep her attention most of the time but she will track any game even if i dont want her to. the only bad thing is she isnt big enough to defend herself against much but thats why she keeps me around, and there isnt much that can take a few hollow points from a .45 and keep coming.

12. BEAST1210

BEAST1210 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mine is a rescue dog and is the big goof ball on the left, We think he is part lab and great dane, with Cane corso mastiff in there. he's a great watch dog. last trip he kept us up on alert cause he could hear the coyotes howl, but we couldnt over the rush of the the river, so ever once in a while he'd give haller to them. My sisters dog is the white one and we think, white shepard ,and malmute, also a recue dog. Max the lab has limited hiking these day cause he blew his cruciate ligament. He doesnt seem to care, but Im in no hurry to build him a wheelchair. So he is learning to become a couch dog.

[​IMG]
    Now my moms dog didnt get the training she needed but she'd make a great trail dog, we think she is a rottweiler/ cattahoola mix. Smart, fast. You'll have to forgive the red horns,"my moms idea", but it was best picture of her.

[​IMG]

My sister's dog would make a great mountain dog, he'll just lay in the snow and catch a nap.
    [​IMG]

13. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lilly

My Lilly is pretty small too but she can be fierce to strangers, and seems to never sleep when we go camping.

this isnt a very good pic but it gives you an idea of her size. she is actually the best behaved and smartest dog ive ever had.

tomahawk

14. Oblio13

Oblio13 Guest

Blog Posts:
    My Great Dane goes everywhere with me. Fortunately, he usually sits still in a canoe.

[​IMG]

shotgunpapa likes this.
  15. BEAST1210

BEAST1210 Scout

Blog Posts:
    he's cute, any pics of him in the canoe?

16. Oblio13

Oblio13 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Not on this laptop, I'll have to check my other computer.

In the meantime, though, if you want cute, here's a pic of my wife's dog in our big boat:

[​IMG]

And my daughter's dog in a canoe:

[​IMG]

17. Giguere

Giguere Guest

Blog Posts:
    I've got two hounds I take out into the woods every now and than. I'd take the big one ALOT more often but she has hip dysplacia...
    Brindle Chihuahua and my Husky mutt.

[​IMG]

The Husky (Abby) Refuses to come indoors, especially when it is snowing and below zero...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
  18. rik_uk3

rik_uk3 Guest

Blog Posts:
    How about a goat instead? They live off the land and can carry a 40-50lb pack on its back

19. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    LOL...my last dog was a liver and white-colored Springer Spaniel named Apollo...great dog but he was a bit "needy" as we'd rescued him from somebody else and he was pretty jumpy, nervous, excitable etc. Haha if we left him on the line outside he'd bark and bark till we went out there and brought him in; he was a "people-dog" haha.
    However my "dream dog" as far as personal protection would be a Boerboel:
    This is Samson, a world-record boerboel:
    [​IMG]

And this would be my choice as a field dog:
    [​IMG]

I love Chessies!
    PMZ

shotgunpapa likes this.
  20. Ripmyfly

Ripmyfly Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thats a beautiful Chessie. I had a field trial chessie in my early 20's & he managed to get "master hunter" certified. However he's skull was void of brain matter & was bone to the core. All the chessies Ive ever been around have had issues. Oh & they stink to high heaven when wet. That Boerboel is very impressive! Can you tell me about the bred?

21. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    I'm not positive on Samson's breed, but here's another dog which would be good for personal protection:
    [​IMG]

Anatolian Sheepdog.
    Commonly used by Turkish Kurds for sheepherding and protection of the flock (and themselves) from enemy raiders, wolves, bears, and the like.
    They are very large, muscular and oftentimes nearly feral dogs whose demeanor can best be described as "aggressive."
    So if you live in the middle of nowhere and don't have neighbors nearby, I'd imagine they'd be a great dog to have as long as you raise them around your family and treat them right.
    PMZ

22. Oblio13

Oblio13 Guest

Blog Posts:
    I could only find this one, when he hadn't even grown into his ears yet. I'll have to take an updated pic when the lakes thaw.

[​IMG]

23. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Aww, what a great photo.
    Cute kid too! Looks like he enjoys canoeing as well!
    PMZ

24. rik_uk3

rik_uk3 Guest

Blog Posts:
    They do start young these days here is my first Grandson aged seven months :)

25. Oblio13

Oblio13 Guest

Blog Posts:
    I like this new hat style. Better than baggy pants, anyway.

26. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
  27. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    My best bud Scout.
    He is a 2 year old Belgian Malinois.
    Very loyal to me and listens very well.

28. FrauHilda

FrauHilda Guide

Blog Posts:
    I used to have shepherds, and always wanted a Mainois as they are a bit smaller and supposedly more agile (which is remarkable).

I love your dog, he is a beautiful! Outstanding coloring, and lovely muzzle and face. A fine example of the breed. :)

29. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Ive had nothing but heelers since i was a kid, we had to put my last one down a month or so ago, the wife got me a border collie heeler cross a few weeks ago, took him on his first mountain trip this past weekend. But what she didnt know was that i had placed and order for a pup from a local sheep runner, for a great pryneese, so the house and trails will get inetersting haha.

30. Bush Otter

Bush Otter Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    A large Airedale the are something else and can take care of theirselfs, Mine was shot dead at my feet from hiding when I was in the woods , never found out who. My constant compainion now is a wolf sheherd named The Cisco Kid.
    [​IMG]

shotgunpapa likes this.
  31. bushbumming29

bushbumming29 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not really sure what kind of dog she is, She kind of has the shape of IA woodsmans dog. origanlly she was my dads dog for 7 years. He found her on the interstate when she was 8 months. Now that my dads gone shes mine.
    [​IMG]
    I dont have any pics of her in a canoe but i have a two minute video of her in a canoe
    in the boundry waters.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    shotgunpapa likes this.
  32. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Mine depends on where I'm going, and what I plan on doing when I get there. I have a Boston Terrier for thick brush trips, and an American Bulldog for all others.

33. Lead Dog

Lead Dog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    leadk9@att.net
    I've had both German shepherds and Siberian huskies and both make great companions when outdoors, although the breeds are very different.

If I had to choose only one dog, it would be a German shepherd. They are extremely versatile in what they can be trained to do. Mine have carried packs, pulled sleds and carts, driven wild animals from camp, earned obedience titles, and been excellent and loyal companions for my entire family. They manage to tolerate a wide range of temperatures and have been able to handle any terrain I have.

There are a lot of great breeds out there, but I've yet to find one that balances obedience, protection, and working drive the way a German shepherd does.

Crit likes this.
  34. campcrafter

campcrafter Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is just another one of those things I always read you weren't suppose to do. All the books say leave the dog at home. It will chase the wildlife and bother other hikers.

I really can't think of a better companion to take than my dog - even though I haven't taken her. She is a smart and faithful though spoiled minuature schnauzer. Best dog I have ever had. Next dog will be a bush dog!

Thanks for sharing all the pics.

cc

35. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Bushbumming, your dog has the prettiest coloration I think I've ever seen on a dog, what a gorgeous pup!
    PMZ

36. Cracker

Cracker Scout

Blog Posts:
    When she was younger I would take her on walks. As she got older decided it was more fun to chase tree rats and deer than to be content woods bumming(more trouble than it was worth).

I can't rember how many hunts she has spoiled! I have loaded up and hiked 4-5 miles from the house with her inside and two hours later one of the kids let her out and she tracks me down. Last year I was hunting squirrels witha buddy more than a mile from the house and she came up behind use and scared the crap out of the guy I was with.

Now she lives on a invisable fence:(

Her name is Rebel, my daughter named her. She should have been named Lucky seeing as she has been snake bit twice(copperheads) shot once(gutshot with a .22), hit by a car and killed four of my chickens and I didn't kill her .

She is 1/2 Chow 1/2 Pit
    [​IMG]

37. Topknot

Topknot Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'll have to go with the Queensland heeler.

Topknot

38. tnrick55

tnrick55 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    rickemt55
    i think in the shtf a dog that is trained only growl not bark because of the stelth needed to not give away your local.mine bark his arse off lol. PEDRO.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  39. Chazz_Hiben

Chazz_Hiben Guest

Blog Posts:
    I got a tri-colored border collie and he is pretty smart but he is still a pup.

40. Arrowolf

Arrowolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    arrow_wolf1415
    This one

[​IMG]

She's a foundling also.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    shotgunpapa likes this.
  41. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Heres my big boy, cant seem to find a picture of the little one. You can see why his name is Tank. (the dog, not my son)

[​IMG]

shotgunpapa likes this.
  42. IA Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    Tomorrow I will post a pic of my 8 month old 140 lb English Mastiff.

43. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Our beloved little terrier, Woody, is in his final stretch, and he has been an amazing companion/buddy/monster chaser. He 16 and never has bitten nor growled at anyone, not even a mouse :) He has been our "bush" dog in the Sierras, the San Gabriels and Santa Monicas, the Rockies, the coastal redwoods, the plains, and even the Outer Banks. Depending on the particular animal, terriers can be terrific "big dogs" in little bodies. Some of them are killing machines; but ours is a lover, not a fighter.

We will probably pause for a bit after he's gone, to let everyone's emotions settle, but I'm interested in either a Vizsla or a spaniel for the next pooch... big enough to hold his/her own with the three boys 8/5/2 and small enough to leave at least "two-fingers spacies" for me on the couch or bed :) Two of my bird hunting partners have volunteered to help me make a suitable choice for them, I mean, our family ;)
    --
    Brian

44. Bushpuukko

Bushpuukko Guide

Blog Posts:
    My Bush Dog was a foundling as well. We heard something in the woods behind our house and went to investigate. We came across a little puppy that barely weighed 6 lbs and was covered in ticks. Took him to the vet for a dip, a bath and shots. He slept 18 hours a day and one night he was curled up on the floor while we watched Cast Away. When Tom Hanks yelled " Wilson" the pup got up and barked and looked around. We've called him Wilson ever since. He turned out to be an American Fox Hound mix. Great dog, extremely smart, very loyal and obedient and I swear he understands English perfectly!

45. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    LOL BP that's a great story!
    :p
    PMZ

46. Doc

Doc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Trapper I have been thinking long and hard about getting a Heeler...have you ever had any issues with them...Im thinking medical more then personality wise.

I live in So. Cal now but am planning on moving to a more "bushcraft friendly" state in the next couple of years. Anything you can share would be a gift. Thanks.

47. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    None Of mine ever needed any thing other than normal day to day stuff, occasional wormer, rabies shots ect. Some of them just about required me to get medical attention with there stamina, never once was able to tire one out. Most times I would prefer the company of an onry heeler to that of a person anymore haha.

48. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    runeacorn

With those legs and the general build, puts me in mind of a wolfhound of some kind. Is he pretty tall?

49. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    runeacorn
    Oh, and I've been considering getting myself a dog, been thinking of a beagle. My wife and I are apartment dwellers and I think it'd be pretty cruel to keep a large dog in an apartment the size of ours.

I kind of like beagles. My wife has this thing for Pugs and Puggles (beagle-pug cross), I personally thing pugs look like someone smacked em in the face with an ugly stick though.

Anyone have any advise on a small sized dog that would be good as a bushcraft companion?

50. Particlem

Particlem Scout

Blog Posts:
    This thread is just dog photo bait... I like it :D
    My long time SAR and general woodland companion is my 13 yo Australian Shepherd - Maya
    [​IMG]

shotgunpapa likes this.