What's changed in Geocaching in the past 7 years?

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by Ravenbar, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looking to get back into geocaching. I was quite active back in college. The last time I went geocaching was around at least 7 years ago. I managed to kill my GPSr while out and couldn't afford a new one at the time. I recently got a phone with GPS capabilities and have found a Geocaching app that looks promising(c:geo).

2. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I dropped Geocaching a few years ago after the big wave of urban caches took the activity to an all time low. There is more and more trespassing on private property, to include parking lots, veterans memorials, odd places like parks full of children and their mothers. It's just plain creepy to wait for kids to vacate an area so you can go look around, all the while getting stares from concerned mothers as to why some guys is lurking around a playground. Not all urban caches are bad, there are many points of interest to bring folks to. But If I'm going to spend a day caching, it's not going to be in town. It seems like there's less and less caches in the woods than when I started back in 2002. Just all things that become mainstream, you get a lot of vandals who just take the fun out of it all. It got to the point where I was spending more time maintaining trashed caches then searching for new ones. I'm speaking of the area in the north east area of Illinois, not sure how things have changed for others.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  3. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Too many urban micros...not enough ammo cans in the woods!

Posting a cache is now a pita, too many rules...

Too much attention to niche travel bugs...

But my son loves it!

4. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree too many micro caches. My daughter wanted to put a cache in the alley by our house, but somebody flooded the neighborhood with micro caches. She likes geocaching for the goodies and there are none to be had in microcaches.

Chad

5. Davidspassage

Davidspassage Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree too that there are too many micros. The nice thing is that you can opt to search only for ones bigger than micros by the sizing chart.

6. perrito

perrito Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It used to be that a cache would be placed to bring you to a nice spot. A nice view, a memorial, a place of historical significance or a nice hike. No more. I've also noticed more and more crappy, non-waterproof containers too. Then there's the lousy trade items people leave while they take the nice things you stocked your cache with when you set it up, if they leave anything at all.
    It wasn't like this 11 years ago when I first started. It's lost it's appeal to me. I've moved on.

7. deleplank

deleplank Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree it has lost its luster but where I live most of the caches are still off the beaten path so we still do it occassionally and of course if we go into a new state we try and find one while there

8. marbat

marbat Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I also have given up on it though I still find the occasional cache by accident now and then. I have over 700 finds but as others here have said, too many micros and rules. When I first started I stumble on caches put out by a group that were more of a contest then a cache, they had lots of cash and or sometimes real good stuff to be had. They have pages and pages one had to do to get a prize. Then GC made some rules that chased them away from there. They were one of the first to get the game going.
    Fast forwarding too recent Times, this group still put out contests which I get involve in most of the time, these are extreme contests.
    The group called themselves KFWB at the time...check them out if you want to see what I mean.

9. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    We haven't been doing it much in the last couple years but I want to start doing it more often again. It's fun.

Jon.

10. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was big into it around 10yrs ago then go busy and quit. I was up working in the woods a month ago and stumbled into a well camouflaged ammo can with a lock on it. It reminded me how much fun this Easter egg hunt can be. I've got a 4yr old boy now who would probably love it, so I'll start up again at some point.

11. Chamonix

Chamonix Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's been quite a few years since we were caching on a regular basis. It was nice when the kid was young, got her much more excited to wander the woods with me (with a goal at the destination). Quality of swag deteriorated to the point we lost interest, or maybe kid just got older. We don't ever really go for micros here, only went after larger ones in the forest (live in a national forest). Even if we find micros, (the hunt is fun) we don't usually bother to sign them. We segued into finding waypoints more often anyway (highest point in county, historical interest spots, that kind of thing). Those are just as fun without dealing with sometimes nasty, disappointing caches. Love using the database to find the old school unknown or unusual places.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  12. Roughneck75

Roughneck75 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Were do you find lists of the geocaching areas that are still active? I would like to try this. How would you set up a new spot?

13. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    geocaching.com

free

a simple place to start

14. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    are there any smartphones apps to help you do this? I checked into it a few years back, but my handheld GPS died from some leaking batteries and I lost interest.

It would be cool if there were a smartphone app that not only had a listing of the caches and their coords, but also had a GPS function to guide you along the way.

15. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been using C:geo on Android with goods success.

16. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, Ravenbar. I'll have to check it out.

I had always thought that geocaching was a great way to get outdoors, it would be awesome to finally jump into it.

17. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I quit when me and the kid opened an ammo can and some POS had pooped in it.