What's in your bag...

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by IllicitDreams, Mar 25, 2013.

1. IllicitDreams

IllicitDreams Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    dnjuggalo1
    We all like a little show and tell, and we all like looking at other folks loadout's to see how they differ, and what ideas we can add. So what is in your Geobag?

My current GeoBag is a Fieldline Tactical daypack.
    [​IMG]

On the side with the waterbottle holder we have a standard 32oz Nalgene, and underneath it is a Stainless Steel GSI cup, Mora Clipper is hooked into the PALS webbing, and a braid of 50ft of 550 cord.
    [​IMG]

On the other side, is a radio pouch, as sometimes I like to take my HAM radio HT with me, and a first aid kit.
    [​IMG]

Inside we have, a BCUSA SAR M.E.S.T. with line kit, stakes, and a heatsheet in it's pouch, a heavy duty emergency blanket, 2 hanks of 550 cord, approx 15-20ft each, a hunk of fatwood, firesteel, emergency whistle, and shavings in a bison tube, Orange bandanna, headlamp, and flashlight, notebook, pen, and compass, GPS, camera, spare batteries, tick kit, with some spare meds, bag o' swag, Ohio county map (working on a 88 county cache challenge), hand sanitizer, and finally a bag of snacks.
    [​IMG]

All together, the loadout works well so far, not too heavy, and covers most situations. Still adding and revising as I go.
    [​IMG]

Maps are usually added as I go, since the areas I cache in change each time.
  2. rusty stove

rusty stove Guide

Blog Posts:
    very nice Scott...you are likely the most well equipped Geocatcher around- someone I work with does this and she told me about one in the concrete corn field on Franz Rd. in Dublin.....I went over and found it in about 20 minutes on my lunch break- then put it back unharmed- I can see how that is a fun hobby.
  3. GrandLarsony

GrandLarsony Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sitka loadout

Here's my Bushwacky day-pack (I also maintain a few other packs for different purposes)... This is a Maxpedition Sitka, which is a one-sling pack. Not sure if I truly like it or not yet, it can be uncomfortable for anything above 10 lbs (current loadout below, with 32 oz water and 3 oz alcohol, is 12.0 lbs). I do like that it swings around to the front, especially when stream fishing.

Right side external: Mora Robust in home-made sheath with fire steel (which moves onto my belt):

Irondequoit-20130325-00644.jpg

Left side water bottle pouch: 32 oz. Sigg bottle inside Stanley pot, GSI cup, tomato can stove \ windbreak, and HD ziplock to keep things clean (see below):

Irondequoit-20130325-00643.jpg

Bladder pocket: Reflectix sit-pad, 18" square. Also note carabiner to hold my hat when I get too warm:

Irondequoit-20130325-00652.jpg

Contents of water bottle pouch - Sigg bottle, Stanley pot, GSI cup, tomato can stove\windbreak, HD ziplock:

Irondequoit-20130325-00645.jpg

Continued...
  4. IllicitDreams

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    dnjuggalo1
    It's a very fun hobby. It can be pretty easy too once you get the hang of it.
  5. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice kit! Here is mine:
    [​IMG]

Top to bottom, left to right:
    Camera, wooden nickels, maps (change ALL the time), Silva Ranger compass with pace beads, gorilla tripod, small Fak, spork, ferro rod, flashlight, scraper, and leatherman micra on a tether, snacks, bankline, MEST and some lengths of 550 cord, logbook with pencil, binos, GPS, whistle,all stored in my haversack I have waterproofed, and made a carry strap out of 550 cord. Not pictured; SAK farmer, and water carrier (I usually just throw a water bottle in the bag).
  6. GrandLarsony

GrandLarsony Guide

Blog Posts:
    Continued from above (2 of 2):

Upper outside pocket: Small tools & frequently used items (baseplate compass & whistle, notebook, pens, flashlight, multi-tool, ceramic rod, nail clippers, chapstick, sunscreen, signal mirror.

Irondequoit-20130325-00647.jpg

Outter most lower pocket: First aid and fire: Ziplock with larger gauze-type FAK items, pack of bandaids and smaller items, hand\foot warmer (seasonal), mylar blanket, pills, bug dope, roll of duct tape, fatwood, lighter, firesteel & backup compass, mini-Altoids tinder kit.

Irondequoit-20130325-00648.jpg

Lower outside pocket: Misc & fishing stuff: Ziplock of fishing stuff (varies), paracord, wire, handwipes, 8 oz booze.

Irondequoit-20130325-00649.jpg

Main pack: Food, shelter, larger items: Food pack, snack pack, GSI plastic cup, mylar bivy, fleece hat, monocular, 5x7 space blanket, ziplock of wet-wipes, bandanna.

Irondequoit-20130325-00650.jpg

Food pack contents: Ramen meal, Stanley lid, mini alcohol stove (thanks Zelph!), 3 oz alcohol, fruit cup, handles for GSI cup (paracord insulators), hot beverage items, spoon, Stanley handle, tent peg for tomato can stove:

Irondequoit-20130325-00651.jpg

Not shown: Folding saw, map(s), leather gloves, rain gear, trekking poles, HillSound spikes (similar to Katadyn micro-spikes).
  7. IllicitDreams

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    dnjuggalo1
    GrandLarsony, I tried a Sitka for a GeoBag... it just wasn't for me. But they seem like they'd be almost perfect for it. Looks like you got it covered.

OldSoldier, nice little kit you have sorted out there.
  8. GrandLarsony

GrandLarsony Guide

Blog Posts:
    USGI 2-quart shoulder carrier loadout

I've been looking for a much lighter rig that I can carry for "lunch hikes" in local parks... for example, where I really don't need much safety\survival gear. My EDC helps a bit (folder, flashlight, pills, multi-tool, chapstick, etc.).

Here's what I came up with. It's based on a USGI 2-quart shoulder carrier. Total weight with 27 oz. water is under 4 lbs.

Matches\lighter in outside pocket, compass\whistle\thermometer clipped on side. I don't usually remove the bottle to drink, just tip the entire bag up to my mouth:

Irondequoit-20130325-00639.jpg

GSI metal cup and GSI plastic cup (handle removed), Swedish M-71 gel stove (an awesome product), paper towel, scrubbie, tinfoil (these all nest tightly):

Irondequoit-20130325-00642.jpg

Water bottle, Mora 2/0 with home-made sheath, mylar blanket, FAK pack, spoon, GSI handles with paracord insulators:

Irondequoit-20130325-00641.jpg

Food & beverage pack: Beef Ramen with slim-jims, tea\sugar\honey, Snickers, bug wipe, hand wipe:

Irondequoit-20130325-00640.jpg

Attached Files:

9. GrandLarsony

GrandLarsony Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yup, I'm this close to picking up a Pygmy Falcon II to see how they compare.
  10. Yonder

Yonder Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This canteen rig is simple genius! Consider yourself ripped off.
  11. highlighter

highlighter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Man, and all I have is a pen, camera, cache repair kit, knife, swag and my CCW. I guess you would need all of that gear for remote caches.
  12. IllicitDreams

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    dnjuggalo1

Everyone is a bit different in the way they do things, there are days when I go caching that I take nothing more than my phone, and a pen. I have the Geocaching app on my phone, so I don't always have to have the GPS. If your setup works for you then that is what matters the most.
  13. highlighter

highlighter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Me too, nice idea!
  14. Canadian Woodsman

Canadian Woodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
  15. redrooster1700

redrooster1700 Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is always in my car and great for short trips or unexpected ones it is a army grappling hook bag IMG_0615.jpg on the outside pockets i carry a water bottle and in the other pocket a fishing kit and a fire kit IMG_0616.jpg this is every thing layed out IMG_0617.jpg also have a smalll fire steel hanging on the out side and that white piece of 550 with a beener on it i usually attack a stainless steal water bottle
  16. tsitenha

tsitenha Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I congratulate all who have taken the time to make and carry a small kit, I also encourage others to copy or assemble their own kit. Where I am presently the bush is so thick 15' off the road and you are out of view. Quite imaginative in sourcing the kits and bags/pack.
    +1 to everyone.
  17. Animus

Animus Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Phone/GPS, pen, multi-tool, swap items, snacks/drinks. Sometimes replacement parts (plastic bags, tape, etc), flashlight, gloves, etc.

Seems most here actually have a 1-day bag or a slimmed down BOB for their geocache bag. This is the direction I've been heading as well.
  18. hog

hog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nothing more than the GPS some pens and paper and a pkt of small gifts for the caches. Oh and some spare batteries for the GPS.
  19. Dryphter

Dryphter Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Since I now live in Tampa, I don't carry much for caching around town.

Red Rock Rover sling bag (ie Maxp Lunada clone)
    - Stainless water bottle
    - Folder pocket knife
    - Pen
    - Nano/micro cache in case I find a place that needs one :)
    - small compass
    - altoids tin with basic FAK stuff like bandages, etc
    - 20ft paracord
    - Garmin 60csx
    - iPhone with caching app(s)

The bag usually stays in the car unless I am actually going to walk a bit. Most of the caches around here are park-n-grab style.
  20. NorthExplorer

NorthExplorer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Very cool gear in here! :D

W.
  21. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For geocaching? That's what this thread is about
  22. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've changed my kit around a bit. I will have to post a new pic tonight :)
  23. ScrambledO

ScrambledO Scout

Blog Posts:
    never really knew what geocaching was until now. Sounds pretty damn cool!
  24. IllicitDreams

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    dnjuggalo1
    It can be a really fun hobby, but just like any hobby there are people that do try and ruin it for others.