What's your reason for giving up on geocaching?

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by AncientNCO, Jun 8, 2013.

1. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone given up on Geocaching? What was your reason why? Personally, I stopped due to all the urban caches encroaching on private property and the lack of respect paid to others. I keep finding more and more caches placed in and near cemeteries, Veterans memorials and playgrounds. I know...if you don't like where the cache is placed, don't' hunt it. Your right! But where I live in the far south suburbs of Chicago, caching has gotten way out of hand. The caches are getting cheap and sloppy and tend to just add to ones numbers instead of making it something worth spend time on. Now it's becoming Geotrash!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    hughhaff and AgentOrange277 like this.
  2. VM3

VM3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had never heard about geocaching. I just read a little about it and it looks fun! But your reasons are right. Nowadays people no longer have the sense of respect that our parents and grandparents were used to teach.
    Something like that happend here in Brazil. After the harlem shake youtube fever a couple of kids went to a cemitery dressing like zombies and recordem themselves dancing there. No respect at all.
    It's a shame that young people don't have such a important core value.

3. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    A friend tried to get me into it, and in theory it seems like a neat activity, but I always found myself just wanting to hike rather than hunt down Altoid tins or tupperware filled with grimy bubblegum machine toys.

I still think geocaching is an interesting activity, but my wanderlust overcomes the focus needed and what I would consider a lack of reward. I liked orienteering as a kid. That exercises more useful skills and the sense of competition is rewarding even if you come in last.

NJHeart2Heart likes this.
  4. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Gas prices.
    I spent a lot of money getting all the caches near the Valdosta area.
    Before I deployed I had to travel 30 miles to the nearest one.
    I come back and there were 200+ new ones waiting for me.
    I gave up. LOL
    Now I just cache if there is one nearby.

marbleman likes this.
  5. madmax

madmax Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Shnick doesn't need to look anymore. They turn themselves in to him.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    Shnick likes this.
  6. Driftingrz

Driftingrz Guide

Blog Posts:
    caching is a seasonal hobby for me over the last few years. i might have fun with them for a few weeks and take a break for a few months or a year. i dont find much joy when caching alone. i have gotten some friends interested but they all live like 100miles away. my last 2 girlfriends really enjoyed geocaching so thats a fun way to get out and explore. i might get out and find some before summers over if i have a partner

teb_atoz likes this.
  7. thompsonmike

thompsonmike Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, try to find a woman who isn't consumed with facebook and twitter and all about ME ME ME! Inconceivable! :) Although, maybe I'm just a fuddy duddy but it seems that's just how society is today. I was raised way old fashioned.

8. thompsonmike

thompsonmike Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree, other than the kind of neat trackable items, I've yet to come across anything that I even want to touch inside there. If you're going to actually put something inside a cache, please don't let it be an old raggedy business card, or dirty paper towel, or a broken balloon. Yes, those are all things I've found. When I take my ex-fiances daughter out who's 7, we go to the dollar store and she picks out some cool collectible type things. Every once in a while I'll feel like a balla and buy a $20 gas gift card. hah

I do agree with the OP that the urban caches are boring. I prefer a long hike in the wilderness to find a cache. I can't wait until the end of July when I'm living in CO!

Mike

9. sneefy

sneefy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We are nearing cache saturation in the metro where i live. I enjoy caching, but only casually as there are just way too freakin' many of them around. I never seek a cache as a destination, just cache when already out. I'll just check the app to see if there is one nearby.

10. sledjockey

sledjockey Skookum's Bro Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My son and I tried to get into it, but all the caches we looked for either were not there or were empty. Maybe it is just my area and I only tried about 6 different ones, but it ended up as a waste of time and 1 run in with the cops who were less than impressed with me looking for something in a parking lot. I would try the hike ones, but my interest has dwindled since my first attempts were a bust.

11. Iovnow

Iovnow Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I quit geocaching because I enjoyed doing it with friends but had a hard time finding people to go with me. My son is now 2 so in a few more years I think Ill have a geocaching/canoeing/camping/hiking buddy.

12. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have accidentally found a few... never in places they should be. Found one tied to a ground on a transmission line another stuffed into a hole on a ledge with a good 20ft drop along an access for a right of way for a Sub T line. Neither one had anything interesting in it. Pack of gum in one and something unrecognizable in the other. IMO it's just another way for people to litter around here. Would be cool if people put useful stuff in them though. Maybe a cheap compass or something.

13. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Scout

Blog Posts:
    After every cache we put out was stolen ... our interest trailed off.

14. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    BH and I still enjoy it, mostly on vacation though, have enjoyed it for almost 9 years, it's taken us to many places we never would have visited, even in our own county. It's still fun for us... YMMV.

15. SiliconTi

SiliconTi Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Time mostly. Still find a few each year.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  16. Shagaroo

Shagaroo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Gas prices and general lack of creativity in most caches stuck in less than interesting places just for people to add a number to the count.

17. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't remember the name of it, but I would rather the geocache community would embrace the "natural cache". Whether it is a large rock or a waterfall or some other item which is already there instead of leaving the box of junk in the woods. Urban areas, maybe not that big of a deal. But the woods is not a place for trash to be left. I know the ethics of geocaching are to remove ones cache and not abandon it, but it will happen and those boxes are meant to not decompose. I know I am in the minority and the geocache community won't ever give up their treasure box but it is unfortunate they are potentially missing all the natural treasures in search of chinese made crap.

18. bowerc

bowerc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Earthcache is the word you're looking for. I agree, I'd rather hunt down some interesting geological feature and thankfully there are several near me.

2jka likes this.
  19. FarmerJohn

FarmerJohn Scout

Blog Posts:
    that I actually think would be a great idea I do not geocache but I wouldn't mind having a easter egg hunt for the most scenic overlook in the smokey mountains at sunset or a beautiful waterfall hidden in some remote corner of a park an old cabin in the woods or something like that

20. dwightp

dwightp Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Recent North Florida transplant from Northwest Geo
    I tried it once just to see what all the hoopla was all about. To be honest, I found it to be boring......didn't go back for seconds.

21. Whitestone

Whitestone Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    At first it was fun, but I got a little tired of staring at the GPS. Then there were the long searches for a cache that simply was not there. And "micro-camo" caches? I can't see things that small anymore!! I have found some Tupperware in the woods that I am pretty sure were caches at some point. I think it's like most things these days, once too many folks start doing it, they ruin it for the founders/original intent.

I'd like "earthcaches". That's a great idea.

22. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have not given up but I do it less. I like the wilderness caches more. Not so much the city micros. Also some people don't seam to put much thought into the hide, container or how it is listed. Still I do enjoy a good cache.

23. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree....100%!

24. Walnutwoodman

Walnutwoodman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I still go just a lot less frequently , it does get my daughter who doesn't like the outdoors to go out. That being said my youngest daughter and youngest son really don't like it because of the crappy stuff when you find it. We try to leave decent stuff, but lately we've been finding beer can caps inside many. Sucks to find that after keeping my six year hiking to get there.

25. Fights With Tools

Fights With Tools Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My wife and I quit because of a number of reasons. Most of the ones we were finding were crappy, people put no effort into hiding them in interesting places. Lots of them had nothing but junk in the caches. A big peeve of mine was people putting little micro-caches out in the woods - it's a big woods, put out a big cache that is worth the walk! Some it was just the saturation of areas where I had placed a cache in an interesting place. Another thing was there were just too many people for whom it became a numbers game - if the cache was hard people would complain, they wanted ones to do that took a minute not an hour so they could mark them off their list. I still maintain one cache in the middle of a cedar swamp and every so often I will get a message that it is missing. I go out to check and its still in the same, well-hidden location. It's a bear to find if you don't know its there.

26. Naga

Naga Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My sister was what I used to do it with and she left.

27. BookWyrm

BookWyrm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Smart phones killed it for me. You used to have to decode some random message and learn how to use your gps properly. Now you can hit two buttons and follow the arrow on your screen and your are there.

28. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for reminding me of the real term. "earthcache". Along those related lines of attempting to get to a specific location without the "box in the woods" but a different prize is the idea of specific coordinates which are a natural enigma or a result of our mapping system. For example, locating the confluence of two streams, which is often different from on the map due to mapping errors. Or the confluence of two "manmade lines" like county lines or lat/long coordinates which have some numerical curiosity. The best for me is looking at old maps and seeing "roads" which ended at a certain spot, but have not existed for over 50 years. I go to that spot to see what I can find. Often in the wilderness there is a great spot for hunting, or is situated close to a springhole for fishing. sometimes it is obvious the land was cleared and an attempt to farm was made. Rarely do I find any manmade remnants, but sometimes there is ancient trash piles or rock piles indicative of a foundation or wall.

29. 1Jesster

1Jesster Guide

Blog Posts:
    I quit because my kids lost interest in it. It started as a thing to do as a family and once they stopped wanting to go with me it just wasn't the same going by myself.

1Jesster

30. OneGear

OneGear Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    This is the main reason I quit. I never went looking for useful treasure or something valuable to take home. I was looking for a box with a logbook just to say "I was here."

If you want me to drive 30+ miles down a dirt road to a trail through old growth forest with dense canopy that renders my GPS non-functional then hide your cache so nobody that doesn't know where it's hidden can possibly find it, you are a special kind of stupid. JMHO.

I'd actually enjoy the hike to the overlook if you just posted "check out this short hike. Nice forest, great view. Long drive but worth it."

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  31. Scroggins

Scroggins Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Got one, and she's kept me for 5 years this coming Saturday, been close since high school (now we will both be 29 in December). Never had a Facebook, doesn't want or "get" a Facebook, and the most selfless person I've ever met.

Hope shall prevail!

32. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm not tired of it yet, but where I go is far from the urban scene described by the OP. The ones I've found are in interesting areas, out in the boondocks. And it's still useful practice just using my GPS. I've placed 2 geocaches myself, and both are in places that are really interesting and are worth the effort to go and find. The cache is just a little bonus. The location is what it's all about.

33. Smokey Radley

Smokey Radley Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like the ones with a little bit of purpose behind them. I.e., we did one in our town that took us to all of the parks in town. There were several nice little parks I had no idea were there. Another took us to a really sweet location with a great overlook off the beaten path. Whoever put those out took time to make them interesting. My guess is that there is/was a lot of 'bandwagon' types that get excited about geocacheing, throw a cache out just about anywhere to say that they've placed one, and then are on to the next thing. Those are simply no fun to do.

34. Chazzle

Chazzle Guide

Blog Posts:
    I stopped after I kept getting harassed by 2 different police departments.

35. pickin_grinnin

pickin_grinnin Scout

Blog Posts:
    People don't show cemeteries the respect they deserve. I was in Boston for a week of training in the early 2000s, and was appalled at how the tourists treated the cemeteries there. Some of the above-ground graves were in long stone "boxes," and I actually saw people sitting on them and eating. It was sickening.

36. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It just seemed stupid to me. I located a cache near my town. It was filled with cheap crap and two used condoms. I figured that someone REALLY enjoyed planting it there.

It grossed me out (which is really hard to do) so I just quit after my first experience.

Steve

37. Steve in PA

Steve in PA Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I still geocache, but cut way, way back. I got tired of lame caches.

38. dmoutdoors

dmoutdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was actually into caching big time for awhile. But like people said gas is a killer. Sometimes you could go far and not find anything. Another reason is i don't like the cashes in the city. Woods only but now i find mostly little kids toys for $0.10 when i was putting in arrow heads and nice collectable things. I still do it but only if I'm in the area or its in the woods. I also sometimes go and find important ones in my area!

39. Maurice479

Maurice479 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Too many caches in a concentrated area, and very few are interesting. I love caches that take work or brain power to find. I have one located in a very, very hard to reach spot that was recently blocked by the corps of engineers. Only two groups have logged it because it takes a team to get to it. No one has logged it since it was fenced off, and I would not encourage them to, either. Some that have interested me have involved history, math, triangulation, or riddles to find and sadly, most of the ones I see are simple skirt lifters in a Tram Law parking lot.

I basically got tired of doing a dozen caches to find one that was decent. I don't care about swag, I care about clever. Not enough clever to go around, I guess.

40. Boot

Boot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Geocaching is how I got my wife hiking and out into the woods. We enjoy it, but I absolutely agree with the above thoughts on the cache saturation and quality around cities and towns. We tend to look for the ones that are off the beaten path, and require some thinking. We are going out west at the end of the month, and I've got some caches to hunt in Red Rock Canyon nat park, and Death Valley nat park. We'll probably bypass a million of 'em on the highways , just because they tend to be lame, and thoughtless.

41. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Scout

Blog Posts:
    I gave it up shortly after college. Was out geocaching and managed to drop my GPS on the pavement. The screen stopped working and I have yet to get a new one. That was in 2008. I may have to get one since I'm seeing some interesting caches appearing in the area. I'm in a rural area and there aren't that many caches nearby.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk

42. lildannigurl

lildannigurl Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've just recently discovered geocaching, so not giving up just yet. Actually I am taking my youngest out today for a lil hike up the hill. Someone has planted quite a few just off the highway near where I live. I have to say some of the ones I have found are a lil lame to say the least but for me it's more about the journey and time with my kids. I've bought a tiny lil army of ninja ducks as my cache and I'm lookin forward to planting them all over. Keep your fingers crossed I'm not disappointed lol

43. Lorax

Lorax Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I gave it up after going to do maintenance on my caches I had put out and ended up cleaning up trash left in the woods.

44. MedievalMike

MedievalMike Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I quit in 2011 for no particular reason outside of having done most cache in my area. I went to an event yesterday and had a blast. If you have a smart phone there is no reason not to play especially with all the free Geocache apps available. Most cache that you find are put in a certain spot so you get an appreciation of the where they are placed.

45. Forestree

Forestree Scout Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I really enjoyed geocaching for a while and I logged about 200 finds. I quit for a few reasons:

-Found all the caches in my area and with the high gas prices, it got expensive to go further out

-I didn't like being suspicious looking while searching for caches and often having to tell people what I was doing

-It was upsetting to have my trackables lost/taken and some of my caches stolen. I would load up the caches with cool stuff (not junk) only to have the first few people come clean them out. I pulled all my caches and have found better uses for them now.

46. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Not sure I'd be able to sell my wife on this hobby.

47. dwightp

dwightp Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Recent North Florida transplant from Northwest Geo
    I did it once.......found the item and then thought, "Ok, that was kind of fun.......and kind of boring." haven't done it since........just wasn't for me I guess.

48. BluenoseRumrunner

BluenoseRumrunner Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Quit after 7 years when I realized that people didn't want to hike in the woods for a find, but rather go to the nearest parking lot or guardrail.

49. Dryphter

Dryphter Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I used to do quite a bit of caching as I traveled for work and it was a great way to break up the monotony of airport to hotel to work to airport. When I first started, I lived in a little town in SD with some great caches along the river which got me hooked. Those type slowly disappeared and were replaced with the 'film can tossed in the bushes' style and I got bored so I quite for the last 2 years or so. Just in the last 2 weeks I started again.

50. bumma

bumma Become the Arrow Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Like others who have posted here I too was really into it for a while. I found quite a few before putting out my own. I had several out there ranging from micros to large containers. Each one I tried to make interesting. From the comments I received people seemed to like them. I don't know what happened but before long folks were not taking the time to put things back the way they were found, no matter how much you asked. Lids were left off and contents getting wet. Plus the ones I was finding became less interesting. Cheap swag and no challenge. I just lost interest.

Still got a lot of geocaching items in a box somewhere.