White canvas painters tarps

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Lamewolf, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Lamewolf

Lamewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was in a local Big Lots yesterday and saw some fairly heavy duty looking white (natural) canvas painter tarps in various sizes and fairly low prices. I know these aren't top notch tarps and are not waterproof, but I'm wondering if any one here has used a canvas painters tarp for a shelter by waterproofing it in some way ? They had a 10' x 12' for around 10 bucks and I'm thinking of grabbing one to play with - anyone got any info on how to go about waterproofing these ? Looks like they would be grat for a lean to or similar shelter.

2. d37fan

d37fan Scout

Blog Posts:
    S.E. Kansas, a stones throw from Big Brutus
    I have been more than satisfied with the one I got. The very first thing you do is to wash it in HOT water. This will tighten the weave and make it more apt to not leak. I used the boat cover waterproofing from Bass Pro and have been rained on every time I have slept in it except one time, and have yet to get wet from leaking. They are a great way to cheaply get into canvas to see if its for you.

3. Derek2002

Derek2002 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been planning to do this very thing myself. And as d37fan said, I have read that they should be washed in hot water to tighten the weave. I was going to try some waterproof spray and seem how that works.

4. MiddleWolf

MiddleWolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    +1 on the hot water wash. Also, dry on the cotton setting to top it off. Size will probably be less then when purchased so any measuring or cutting should be done after.

5. Old School

Old School Scout

Blog Posts:
    Like the others have said hot wash/hot dry and make what you want. I have made haversaks,pouches,and other bags with good results. I've dyed it colors and waxed it with boiled linseed oil mix and very happy with it. Thinking of making some leggings and a trekkers tarp and waxing them.

If you are just starting and learning I think it is a good place to start. Just my thought.

6. proud dad

proud dad Scout

Blog Posts:
  7. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    there are a couple threads already going on the topic of waterproofing canvas. can't remember anyone's dang login name though, to help you search! one guy did a pretty funny video of melting his wax in a crock pot (a traditional beeswax, boiled linseed oil, and turpentine recipe) and someone else brought up the thompson's water sealer method.

8. Mountainman_J

Mountainman_J Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thompson Water Seal works great. Just dont use more than two light coatings or it wont allow the canvas to breathe making its sweat inside more if using during winter months.

9. ActsOfTheWolf

ActsOfTheWolf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I got one and did the hot wash and dry, that does help. Then I attached 1" nylon webbing loops in the NW Woodsman configuration and it worked out good. Now to dye and silicone impregnate and it's done.

10. Lamewolf

Lamewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not just startin out, been roamin the woods now for around 45 years and just wanting something quick and easy to get under. I've made all sorts of temporary shelters in the past but most from available natural materials - even slept in small caves. Just thought the tarp would be a light weight option to keep in the pack and I don't like the modern SINthetic tarps much - too noisy !

11. exsailor

exsailor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I used a painters tarp for my first fly. It leaked a little until it got wet and then sealed itself. At one time I tried to waterproof it using a 3M spray can product. It was expensive and not very effective. Later I used a product called "canvac" to waterproof my tent when it started leaking. I got it at "The Log cabin Shop". It is a bit pricey, but effective. Other People have used Thompsons on their lodges, but it tends to get stiff if laid on heavy. I would never spray waterproofing. It doesn't get the penetration or coverage you need. My friend sprayed canvac and it was running off his tent and didn't work. I rolled a 10x15 wall tent with a disposable roller used less than half a gallon and never had a problem.

12. Rubicon_Dave

Rubicon_Dave Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used a Sherwin Williams Painters tarp and did the aforementioned hot wash method. It shrank nicely and works good for summer and snow. I haven't had it in the rain yet but so far so good with nothing more than the hot wash. I live in the Sierra Nevada's and it's very dry in the winters up here so moisture has not been a concern. Add a sew-in stove jack for $30 and it works great.

Your results may vary if you're in the pacific northwest and getting drenched...

13. Mountain Longhunters

Mountain Longhunters Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the idea of using a painters canvas for tarp or even a haversack project. I bought a Rothco brand messenger bag and have already had to repair the shoulder strap. I like doing a little leather work as well so I should be able to some up with a combo idea for a haversack. Thanks again all!!!

14. Pappy Frank

Pappy Frank Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The first painters tarp I used, I was young and ignorant, I bought it, opened it, and set it up. It never did leak.

I would advise the boil and some sort of waterproofing though. I saw a tent made from the same thing and the people lost a lot of good stuff in a heavy rain and had to leave the camp a couple of days early because of it. Everything under the tent was soaked.

I guess I was just fortunate, don't know why. Like I said, I was young and ignorant.

15. brush_loper

brush_loper Froze to a Tree

Blog Posts:
    I bought one of those last spring. They work great. I also picked up a grommet kit at walmart and put grommets at the corners and along the sides for tie points. I haven't done anything else to it. Its been rained on several times and kept the ground under it dry.

16. Joe Willson

Joe Willson Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to be picking one up of those drop cloths to make a pullover parka. Same idea as the blanket shirts, just bigger and used as an outer shell. Scraps will probably become a seat or some bags.

17. brains

brains Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like that idea. I have a tarp in the garage that I set up as a tent/tarp but now I have a BCUSA tarp and I think I will wash the canvas, make the parka and waterproof it. Thanks for the idea. I will need to find a pattern of some sort.
    Thanks
    Ed

18. Joe Willson

Joe Willson Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't mean to hijack, but I am going with a simple pattern. Fold the canvas in half. The fold becomes the top, neck and arms. Cut a slit in the center for the neck, then only one seam to sew up each side. I'll look for the video I found on it for a blanket shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkMa7MAeZnc
    His fold towards the bottom confuses me, but just remember that the blanket is folded in half and the fold is at the top so when you cut it out the arms are already attached and just need the seam on the underside sewn. I think it will be easier to do than describe. DC also has a video on making a hunting shirt but his sleeves are seperate.
    Good luck.

19. Grillsgt

Grillsgt Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This is a tent I made last year, I used mineral spirits and a tube of silicone mixture for the waterproofing.
    I mixed 1 gallon of mineral spirits to one tube of silicone and mixed it until the silicone devolved, then just laid the tent out on the driveway and painted it on with a paint brush, ad let it dry real good.
    This is me sewing some reinforcing strap to the bottom and tie off tabs for stakes
    [​IMG]

Here are the other pics of the completed tent
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. drewdunnrespect

drewdunnrespect Tracker

Blog Posts:
    might have to find a uk supplier for these they look interesting

21. VaughnT

VaughnT Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Canvas drop cloths?

Horrible stuff.

You cannot make anything out of them. Don't wash them in hot water to shrink them and tighten the weave. Don't use waterproofing spray on them. Don't sew them into whelen lean-to's.

Complete waste of time. Spend a coupla hundred on "pre-made" factory type cotton tents!

Yep. That's my story. And it's true, too!

:nod: :wink:

22. vegasrandall

vegasrandall Tracker

Blog Posts:
  23. nickswan

nickswan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow thank you for this, it's just what I was looking for. Heading there tomorrow.

24. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought 10 military WW2 sheets at a garage sale last summer . Really tight weave on em . THinking of coffee staining them and making a tent . I think they may have a linen content but I don't know how to prove it .