Woodsmoke general discussion

Discussion in 'Events' started by Jason, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jason

Jason Founder Staff Member Administrator Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Feel free to discuss the Woodsmoke gathering here. Keep in mind that tickets are limited so don't miss out on a great opportunity.

There is a whole forum dedicated to the event so feel free to start separate threads as necessary. This one can be for general discussion.

2. hoge

hoge Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This looks awesome!

One question that I have though:

Is the "open" camp area available on the 6th and 7th? Or are the "non-classic folks supposed to show up on the 8th?

Just the wordage was a little hard for me understand as I'm a little dense at times.

3. J

J Bushwhacker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Were not taking the boys, but is the kids cost the same as adult?

4. Guy

Guy Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Reduced rate for kids. 8 and under are free.

5. MK-9

MK-9 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Kind of confused on that myself.

The whole thing sounds awesome, I'd love to go but as much as I'd like to get into the whole old canvas, leather gear and period clothing stuff I don't have the coin and likely won't for a good while yet. Sounds like this event is more geared towards that kind of thing?

6. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    From what I understand, there will be an anything goes camp where us non trads will camp.

7. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I believe all are welcome, traditional or not

8. Infidel

Infidel Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Is anyone familiar with the area? Is there a place to hang a hammock? Car camping or hiking in?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  9. abo4ster

abo4ster Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Wescott is in the field right now, so hope he jumps in here to confirm.

Yes, everyone who registers for Woodsmoke is welcome at the early date. However, the re-encampment is an area for the traditionalists of Old Style Camping. I know there are some folks on the forum that should apply.

Personally speaking, If I make the early dates, I will be in the non-traditional camp. Interested in seeing AND LEARNING the Old Style before investing. Plus I maybe flying out.

Sunday evening is when things really get started with bushcraft; so be there before then no matter what!

10. Guy

Blog Posts:
    Wescott informed me that folks could show up early. If you do show up early, you won't get the feedbag, but you can make do on your own. Bad Hand may chime in here, but there are probably places to eat there, and you can run over to Yellowstone to look around, and have your camp to come back to.

11. IamLegend

IamLegend Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've never been shy about jumping in and getting my hands dirty or hands on learning so don't get me wrong here. I'm just wondering if I would be able to see more of everything if I were more of a spectator. Guess I would be worried about missing something is all. If I'm working on something over here maybe Mors is saying something interesting over there kinda thing. Ya reckon that's kinda silly? _

12. abo4ster

Blog Posts:
    Nope not a silly question as the structure is new. There are several days of short bushcraft classes where you get to experience many things through many instructors before diving into a project.

The silly thing would be missing ALL of it because you didn't go and you could have.

13. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am definitely interested... I learned about Woodsmoke for the first time a few months back and it sounded like a great time, so it's doubly cool that BCUSA is sponsoring this year. However, I'm not sure I can take off that much time for the whole thing.

Is this something where if we buy tickets we could come for just 3-4 days toward the end, for the educational half and skip the campout / re-enactment stuff heading into it?

14. IamLegend

IamLegend Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wonder if we can get some serious bush class credit for attending:)

15. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Maybe not extra credit ;)

But check out the informational thread schedule for Friday July 13th:

16. abo4ster

Blog Posts:
    Friday/Saturday/Sunday is the Re-Encampment, so if you were just interested in the hands-on skills, personally, I would try and get there Sunday for the 6 pm opening address and orientation, as...

Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday are Bushcraft classes from all the instructors.

Thursday/Friday/Saturday is your Woodcraft University Project.

17. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info. I just got clearance from the wife, too :D :dblthumb:

18. _Plainsman

_Plainsman Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Hate to quote Bono but...
    "It's a beautiful day"
    :D

19. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    Just slipped into the lodge for a peek. Yes you can come early. You can cook on site or Tetonia is a couple miles away and Driggs about 6 or 7 miles. If the spring run-off is finished we will be able to drive right into camp. Go to the Camp and Trail X blog and there is a site map. Lots of trees for hammocks so long as the creeks have gone down. We'll keep everyone posted.DW

20. Bad Hand

Bad Hand Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will probably camp in the none traditional camp as I will have my tipis. Still thinking about making a wall tent for the traditional site but I am more of a stone age mountain man type camper.

You won't be able to miss my camp so stop on by.

21. Iz

Iz MEMBER of a BANNED Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I want to got to this thing pretty bad but I can't afford the time off plus the travel time.
    Knock 'em dead guys and have a blast!

22. Infidel

Infidel Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Get off the computer and get busy, see ya there.:28:

23. Guy

Blog Posts:
    There will be more eminently qualified instructors there than anywhere else that I could find, and you get them all for a low price, for multiple days. You also get fed very well, as well as firewood, you don't have to dig a cat hole every time you need to do your "business," and the views are outstanding.

I would go if for no other reason than the last four items. I am going early if I can swing it. Too much to see there. Montana is just a brief ride north, and Yellowstone is an even shorter drive. I have never been to either, and I will have a base camp to operate from.

This will knock 3 things off of my bucket list.

24. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've got an idea - you sell me a bunch more knives! Then you can afford to go and I get a collection of Turleys to play with... win/win :dblthumb: :D

It's too bad you can't go Iz. I bet you could probably carpool to save on costs, but I understand what it's like running your own business... time = money! Who knows, maybe things will work out - July is still a good way off.

25. Iz

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, it's not really the cost. I could scrounge and get the money together and it would be worth it.
    It's the time cost. If I'm not here making knives for that amount of time it basically costs me double the price to go. The one downside to owning your own business is you don't get paid vacations.
    No worries though, you guys have a blast and think of me fondly....or at least think of me.

26. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am really interested in going to this. Just have to see if the funds will be there. Time off for me shouldn't be hard. I work on contract.

27. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    w00h00 .. Earlier today, I told My Wife about wanting to do this - altho I really had no idea how to pull together the cash to do it.

Well - My Wife has Always been "All For" me pursuing these sorts of things .. And tonight she told me that she had a bunch of odd change stashed away, and that if I went to the bank Monday and got the coin-roller-things, that she would roll up and give me the $275 needed for my "Woodsmoke 2012 Ticket"
    Damn, I Love That Gal !! :)
    Now I just need to ponder out How the heck to get to Eastern Idaho, and back .. heh!
    ... Not to worry - It will all come together :)

28. WestrnBushcrft

WestrnBushcrft Guide

Blog Posts:
    You could car pool??? LOL I wonder what a car full of woodsman are like???

29. Guy

Blog Posts:
    I wonder what it would smell like on the way back.

30. _Plainsman

_Plainsman Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I got two tickets and was wondering when/where we choose our interests from the woods university event?

31. Guy

Blog Posts:
    Dave Wescott will be contacting you via the email address on your order, to make sure you are lined out for your needs.

Thanks.

32. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yaaaay !! I managed to get the additional $275 in the bank - So, as soon as I get home, I will be able to place my order for the "Woodsmoke Gathering" :)

Yeah - I Be a Happy Camper !!!

33. abo4ster

Blog Posts:
    Quit spending your money and time making videos on Kifaru stuff and you could be there! ;)

34. Iz

Blog Posts:
    Lol. Whose gonna make knives while I'm there? You got any volunteers that will work for nothing?

35. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    ALRIGHTA!! Got my "Woodsmoke Ticket" paid for :)

I am Really looking forward to attending this event - Learning some Good Stuff, and Hopefully meeting some of the BCUSA Members that I have appreciated on the forum :)

36. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I want to see this come together :)

I just got an email from David Wescott - confirming my registration for the Woodsmoke Gathering.

He mentions, that right now he is deep in the heart of preparing for "Winter Count", and when he is back from that ~Feb 23, then more info will be coming on the Woodsmoke Gathering.

Also, from his blog:
    "Since this is our first year for Woodsmoke, we want everyone to know that success depends on you. We need 50 registrations in-hand by March 1 for us to move forward. That's half of the total registrations we'll take. Register now, but DO NOT finalize travel plans if you are flying in, until after the go-ahead from us on March 1."
    So .. Come On Brothers and Sisters .. If you are planning on attending the Woodsmoke Gathering, You need to get signed up (and paid) before March 1st. We Really want to see this come together :)

Thnx

Joe

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  37. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    Woodsmoke Is A Go !!!

I hear that some people are holding off their registration for Woodsmoke, waiting to make sure it's going to happen. That's exactly the wrong thing to do. We need to know you are coming.
    In order to stimulate you, we want you to know that enrollment will be limited, and the Thursday-Sat workshops will be filled in order of who signs up first.
    ALSO, I have been hosting Rabbitstick for 25 years and Winter Count for 18, and we average 350 participants and about 70 instructors at each event. The first year we held Rabbitstick, we had 48 staff and 2 paying students....but it was a start. In order to get things in gear, we want to encourage everyone with intentions to come, to not hold off. Early registration will still end March 1.

38. AlteredMentalStatus

AlteredMentalStatus Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    bigkingtut@mac.com
    trying to figure out if I can make this and Hardwoodsman meet.....

39. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    What is Woodsmoke

Sorry for not participating in the previous discussions, but I was waist-deep in snow all last week and I'm just now digging out from what piled up on my desk while I was gone.
    Please excuse that I am a computer novice and I don't know how to handle all the glitz that goes with operating on a forum like this. However, I've vowed to learn.
    I notice there are some comments wondering how this event will work and how it's different from our other two events - Rabbitstick and Winter Count.

The Event - When we started hosting events, it was for selfish reasons...we wanted to meet the best in the business and have them gather together in one spot to get to know each other face to face, and to exchange ideas and teaching techniques. This was way before the internet. I may be wrong, but I feel this is still the best way to teach and get to know our peers...in the flesh. This is the same reason we have started Woodsmoke. We are inviting professionals, schools, vendors and you to join us for a week of getting together in a way that has never been done before with this group of folks. We're holding it out west to make sure that we get a national cross-section of attendees. It's easy to get in-bread and limited in scope by always staying home. Once again, I know the internet gets you close to the same result, but it will never replace hands-on, in your face interaction with a real person.

The People - Some have commented on the "hippie" element they have seen in videos from past Rabbitsticks. The most wonderful thing about our events is that we have no "demographic." We have no idea who will come through the gate. As a result, we create a common ground of rules and expectations that we all live by; everyone checks their egos and "isms" at the gate, and we have one hell of a week. That's the only way it can work. I can also assure you that some of those "earthy" folks are the real deal. You may not agree with their politics or cosmology, but they live what they teach. They do every day what many of us only get to practice on weekends. Some of the most amazing things I have learned over the years have come from some of the most unexpected places. I have always believed that great teachers are sponges - they soak up information - and then they sort out the best of what they have experienced and store it in their tool kit for just the right occasion to bust it out and blow people's minds. At Woodsmoke we can expect to see everything from buckskin to camo, and that's what makes an event like this so rich.

Dress Code - There is none (however, you need to keep them on). The re-encampment end of this whole thing comes from the fact that Steve Watts and I are on a personal campaign to revive camping in the old style - that includes dressing the part. Why? because it's fun, it's romantic and nostalgic, it's an incredible challenge, and it gets you as close to the Golden Age of our camping roots as you can get while still sticking around in the 21st century. And, it has STYLE. Nothing can beat the golden glow of a classic camp setting.

[​IMG]

Susan Simmons and I recreating a pose made famous by Gifford Pinchot and his wife. This was shot at the Cradle of Forestry in Pisgah, North Carolina, 2007.

[​IMG]

Steve and I have been doing these demos and projects around the country, and have attracted a small group known as the Acorn Patrol. This group will be hosting the classic camp at Woodsmoke. If you wan to see just what one of our camps looks like, there's a whole collection of photos from this event on Photobucket. Maybe Chris can tell you how to get there.

Why Mix Bushcraft and Woodcraft - They are the same thing in many ways. Aldo Leopold said that woodcraft is a "working knowledge of the land." That's a pretty sweet definition of Bushcraft too. This is where a lesson in history comes in. If you missed the Nov/Dec issue of Backwoodsman (it's also posted on my blog at http://campandtrailblog.blogspot.com/) you need to read it. All this stuff is connected - primitive technology, "survival skills", woodcraft, classic camping, bushcraft, etc. It's those connections that make these skills so enticing, yet at the same time so hard to define and articulate. That's another reason we need to get together at Woodsmoke. We want to explore those dusty back-shelves of information, and find out just why guys in buckskin, red plaid and camo are all interested in the same things. Or is it just a bunch of guys who like edged tools and fire? That's OK too!

Plan to join us at Woodsmoke. Believe me when I tell you, you won't be disappointed.

40. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    When Woodsmoke Opens

Make your trip a vacation too. We are smack in the middle of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. You can throw a rock at the Tetons from where we are camping. Come camp with us a few amazing days.

The Classic Encampment will be open to the public on Saturday and Sunday. There will be a group in full regalia - gear, tents, and clothing - doing demonstrations and interpretive programs to show locals that the classic style is still alive.

You are welcome to camp with us. Camp will be open for you to set up, but we will not be providing food for the entire camp until we kick off the event on Sunday afternoon.

[​IMG]

Dressed in classic attire, Tom Mancke demonstrates friction fire for a Boy Scout troop.

41. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    Hippie Campin'

When Paul Petzoldt brought his long-haired mountaineering staff to the Teton Basin to start the National Outdoor Leadership School, they brought with them a style of camping that was completely foreign to the local people who had lived outdoors for generations. The locals called it "Hippie Campin;" little nylon tents, brass stoves, mummy bags and all the trimmings.

It wasn't until locals found out I was interested in the canvas and cast iron style that they filled me in on that little secret. They still call it "Hippie Campin" to this day. These are people who know how to really live outdoors.

[​IMG]

Can you image cuddling up in a nylon cocoon with a foil pack of freeze dried Turkey Tetrazini and calling that camping when you knew that real camping looked like this?

42. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    @David W - thank you so much for the updates and additional info - Very much appreciated :)
    "Hippie Camping" ? .. Lol - Been there, Done that. (not really my style now, but Yeah .. "They" All have their lessons to teach.)
    Please keep the info and updates coming .. And again, Thank You !!!
    .... Oh, yeah .. I saw mention somewhere about a 'site map' of where we will be encamped ? Can you please point me to that .. Thnx
    ~ ~ Joe

43. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Now that's one hell of a way to sell this David. Pictures like that make me want to go!

44. abo4ster

Blog Posts:
    Gifford Pinchot, Aldo Leopold, The Cradle of Foresty... your bringing back memories of my days in college (Forestry major)!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  45. madmax

madmax Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Love visiting The Cradle of Forestry. I go by there every summer now. It is mind boggling how hard those old lumberjacks worked everyday with the tools they had. The history is fascinating.

46. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    Site Map

I've been trying to keep a blog, but alas, no discipline. Anyway there is info on the campsite at the blog. http://campandtrailblog.blogspot.com/

Click on 2010 and scroll down. This is an amazing site with very easy access and some electrical hook-ups for tincan campers. We are about 2 miles from Tetonia and about 6 from Driggs, Idaho, right off Highway 33 (about an hour to Jackson).

If you want to fly over it with Google earth, here are the Lat. and Long. coordinates: 43˚ 48' 12.32" W 111˚ 07' 03.75" W

47. J

Blog Posts:
    Im stoked. Looking forward to the trip and event. Great pics.

48. abo4ster

Blog Posts:
    Here is the location info from Dave's blog, ignore the date.

[​IMG]

The location is in the center of the satellite photo, note the proximity to the Tetons and Yellowstone...

[​IMG]

49. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    Functional History

I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that what we are up to is more than arts and crafts. When it comes to handcrafted gear, it really is functional history. From sleeping in a blanket, to cooking WELL over an open fire, to using traditional tools to make your very mode of transportation. Our classes will be hands-on and end up with a useful, stylish product.
    The most fun about being in public with handmade gear is when people ask (and they always do) "Where did you get that?" and the response to you saying "I made it" is always "What do you mean you made it. How did you do that?" The average person has lost the ability to relate to handmade craft.
    Here are my skis I made last Feb. I plan to use them to retrace the old Jackson Hole mail trail over Teton Pass. These aren't one of our class offerings for this year's Woodsmoke, but we have a list of crafts that are just as cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50. J

Blog Posts:
    Those are awesome......Very nice work!!