Woodsmoke general discussion

Discussion in 'Events' started by Jason, Jan 18, 2012.

1. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    "Woodsmoke - The School of the Woods"

OK Kids - Ya got like 6 days left, to get in on this opportunity (at the reduced price*)
    Looks like there are ~30 signed up so far .. 'twould be nice to see an additional 20 'before' March 1st :)

*If you need any more incentive, just read through the Schedule and Information on the gathering - This is going to be an Outstanding happening.

2. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    Equip2endure Podcast

Just back from 2 weeks in AZ. We're doing an interview with Equip to Endure at 1pm eastern tomorrow. Joe Flowers set it up and this will be a first for me. so we'll see how it goes.

3. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Heya Dave - Welcome Back :)
    ... Sounds like 'the fun never ends' in your world .. heh! Hope the Podcast goes well.
    Looking forward to watching the WoodSmoke Gathering coming together :)

4. justinhw

justinhw Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    My preferences for the University:

1. Understanding Wood – Spoons, Kuksa’s, Craft Tools
    2. Wood Stove Making
    3. Trapper Nelson Pack making- Frames and bags

Looking forward to it!

5. rwolsen

rwolsen Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just bought my ticket! Looking forward to it!!!

6. techhobbit

techhobbit Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Workshop choices...

We're registered!

David Browne
    (any of the Feildcraft workshops)
    Neil Browne
    Woodstove making
    Dirtbagger's deluxe
    Understanding wood

7. GB13

GB13 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    21 miles west of Tetonia you will enjoy Green Canyon Hot Springs http://greencanyonhotspring.com/

Actually, about 19 miles from the campsite plus 4.5 miles down Green Canyon.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  8. JTD

JTD Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Got my tickets to woodsmoke, and am looking forward to seeing what its all about, but I was wondering.. Is it a good idea to bring along my 6 yr old to this event?

He loves whittling, making fires, camping, and being outside, but from what I've read this seems very structured, and more for adults.

Is there any info on what the "kids camp" will consist of maybe a link I missed or something?

Thanks,

JTD

9. _Plainsman

_Plainsman Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Did anyone else get an email from Wescott recently? On the registration form where it asks for a credit card or check, do I just say I've already paid?

Is there somewhere that I can plug the location coordinates in and get a physical address without downloading google earth? google maps doesn't "understand" that location.

Also, is the Master Woodsman pdf just a point of reference for our ever growing skill set or is that the stuff we will be learning up there?

Sorry for playing 20 questions but I just want to make sure I am up to speed. : )

10. cockeyedhunter

cockeyedhunter Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I got the same email yesterday and have the same questions.
    Also been thinking a bit about how we all are going to wash up. I see they have privies but no mention of showers. So are we just going to wash in the creek, in a bucket or ??

11. abo4ster

abo4ster Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    You can write on there "paid through BCUSA," as he gets a report from Guy with those that have registered through the Outfitter store. Your good!

12. CSugg

CSugg Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

What? You are going to wash? I just figured to scrap the dirt and stink off. With a Kephart pattern, of course.

Crusty old guy,
    Ches

13. cockeyedhunter

Blog Posts:
    Ok CSugg I'm with you on that, you just better be prepared to deal with my powerful man stink.

Jason

14. Agile Woodsman

Agile Woodsman Guide Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This. Annnnd are you guys snail-mailing it to the address on the registration form? I'm sending in the survey and the reg form. The Bushclass stuff and whatnot, I think is more for personal use?

15. keyser

keyser Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I did a quick look but didn't see any activities for kids. I'd like to bring my 7yr old, 8 by the time we get there, but I'm not sure he's going to be interested in the adult classes. Will there be kid specific/focused classes?

16. Agile Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    Any info yet on where to send those forms we got in the email?

I haven't gotten any reply to my email inquiry on this matter. I wonder if any of you have more info?

17. CSugg

CSugg Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

18. Agile Woodsman

Blog Posts:

19. meadowlarksong

meadowlarksong Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I will be teaching kids at Woodsmoke this year. Dave asked me to take lessons from the BushClass USA Basic Cert and adapt some of them for kids. I will also have crafts and story telling throughout the week.

20. meadowlarksong

Blog Posts:
    I will be teaching kids at Woodsmoke this year. Dave asked me to take lessons from the BushClass USA Basic Cert and adapt some of them for kids. I will also have crafts and story telling throughout the week.

Renee Nansel
    Granny's Country Store

21. cockeyedhunter

Blog Posts:
    Renee Nansel of Montana?

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  22. meadowlarksong

Blog Posts:
    Renee Nansel of Montana.

23. cockeyedhunter

Blog Posts:
    Renee Nansel,
    Welcome to BCUSA. There are going to be some lucky kids at woodsmoke.
    See you in Idaho,
    Jason Richmond

24. 7.62

7.62 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will also be helping Renee with some of the kids classes

25. keyser

keyser Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the clarification on the kids activities. I plan to be there! :)

26. jkfisher84

jkfisher84 Scout

Blog Posts:
    geez i just read this thread finally! I wonder if the wife would let me participate in this shin dig?

27. _Plainsman

Blog Posts:
    Should we plan accordingly for bears? Not sure if we should bring the Yetti or what. Also, on the matter of the fire pan, does it have to have a bottom? Does it have to be raised?

28. 7.62

7.62 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't know for sure,but the fire pans that are used at Rabbit Stick have legs and are raised up off the ground

29. Bitterroot

Bitterroot Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Please pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between Rabbitstick & Woodsmoke? Run by the same company, but is there a different focus? Thank you.

30. Guy

Guy Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Rabbitstick is 100% primitive technologies.

31. meadowlarksong

Blog Posts:
    Kids activities

If anyone would like to share a skill with kids at Woodsmoke please contact me.

Renee Nansel
    Granny's Country store
    meadowlarksong@ymail.com

(406) 287-3605

32. ModernNessmuk

ModernNessmuk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Woodsmoke here I come! I am looking forward to meeting all of you that will be at Woodsmoke.

33. ModernNessmuk

ModernNessmuk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What to bring & when to setup

I have the following canvas(2 pyramid tents, 1 dining fly with side tent, wall tent) I can bring to Woodsmoke. I read that one needs to apply to be setup in the classic portion. I have not found any instructions on how to apply. I think I can easily set up a camp that would fit in with the classic camping section.

[​IMG]

I have a period kitchen, tables, chairs and open fire stove with legs. It's a lot of work setting this camp up and I usually have my family with me when we setup this camp. However I will be attending Woodsmoke on my own and thus trying to figure out what I should bring.

Who do I contact regarding classic camp setup?

What day can we setup our camp?

Where is a good resource about period dress?

Thanks in advance for any help

34. _Plainsman

Blog Posts:
    David Wescott would be the guy to talk to about applying for the Classic camp. I think you can setup on the 6th but us other guys on the 8th.

Jas. Townsend has 17th and 18th period stuff but for the golden age dress stuff you might also ask David Wescott about that.

35. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    I'll send info directly to your e-mail address. We have a great little handout for planning your camp and dress. The camp looks great. The classic campers are setting up Thursday and Friday so we can be open to the public on Saturday and Sunday for small demonstrations. Kick off of the event will be Sunday night dinner. If you'd like to be a part of it, let me know. DW

36. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    We are camping right on Leigh Creek, but we are just off the highway surrounded by agricultural land (look at it on Google Earth). They are trying to develop the creek bed into a better wildlife corridor, but as yet we have lots of whitetail deer and moose, but only a few bear. We are right on the border of Grizzly bear territory, and they shot one about 5 miles down the road 2 weeks ago for getting into trash. So, it's not likely a danger, but be aware they are in the area.
    The Teton Basin used to be known as Pierre's Hole and was the site of the original 1820 fur trade rendezvous. We are only a few miles from the original encampment site. Our camp is a large grassy meadow which is green now, but could get drier as the summer progresses. A good fire container would help us keep things under control. You can set a pan on river rocks and be just fine.
    If you know anyone who hasn't filled out their Registration forms and gotten them back to us yet, please be aware they have been e-mailed directly to everyone who is preregistered and we need them back for planning purposes. We also need to know how people are traveling in so we can help if needed. It's an easy spot to find. DW

37. _Plainsman

Blog Posts:
    Hey Dave!

Just responded to your email. Thanks for info on bears too!

Myself and WiskieTango will hopefully be there a little early to take in what we can of the Traditional Camping.

Thanks a million!!!

38. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    Just a note - The original focus of this event was classic camping in the old style. When we joined forces with BushcraftUSA, we weren't sure how the venture would change. Well, right now I'm stoked - and let me tell you why. Some folks have been critical about dressing in the old style and "living-back," so to speak, as not being practical. Well, it might not be, but it's a hell of a lot of fun, a good dose of nostalgia, and an amazing application of what it really takes to live in a woodcraft tradition without the benefit and interference of lots modern gadgets - A working knowledge of the land.

When I first met our keynote presenter, Mors Kochanski (an originator of the bushcraft term), I wanted to know how I could learn more. The first thing he did was copy the table of contents from about a dozen old books on camping and woodcraft and said "Read these." Even Mors bows to the masters of the old style and recognizes that the roots of modern bushcraft are well seated in the old woodcraft traditions. Many of the tricks he employs are right out of the old manuals.

Well another interesting thing has also come up. When I first started learning primitive "survival" skills from Larry Olsen, I was always taking hits from my SERE peers about the impracticality of primitive skills in a "real" survival situation. I could never resolve the argument until I realized that what Larry was teaching was really the classic wilderness living skills upon which most modern survival ideals are based. I have argued that point for years. Well, today I got a call from two of the originals from the SERE school of thought who heard about Woodsmoke and are excited to be there. We had a great conversation about what Woodsmoke was and wasn't and we hit it off well. Then they mentioned things they would like to teach. One topic was about research being done on a leaf litter nest and how it works in a survival situation. My comeback to them was - that sounds a lot like what the old woodsrunners of the 1600s would do at night when they were on a trail and had no shelter.

That conversation was the first in my career that we bridged the gap between what I was doing in an historic context and what the SEREs were doing in the modern world. It looks like Bushcraft is bringing the best of the old and new together in a new and exciting way.

This is shaping up to be an amazing event. Don't miss it.

39. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    Wescott Here - If you haven't sent in your reg and survey forms yet, can you scan them and e-mail them to me at backtracks905@gmail.com? We need the info ASAP so we can start nailing down resource needs.

Also - I'm not a big forum user, so if you need info, please contact me directly at the above address. It'll be a lot faster and make it easier to keep in contact. We are on a time crunch that is my fault, but that's where we are. I'm getting excited to meet you all. DW

40. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    One more note for the night - Some of you have posted your class choices on the forum under your forum name and I don't know who you are when I get your registration from the store. Could everyone please send me that info again to the backtracks905@gmail.com address with your name and e-mail address so I have that. Thanks so much. DW

41. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    Yes - the Master Woodsman info is just a resource for you to generate ideas about what you would like to cover at Woodsmoke. We have an amazing array of guest instructors plus lots of skill and knowledge in the participants. Come prepared to both learn and share ideas. Sample from the Master Woodsman list as it appears in Camping In The Old Style.

Master Woodsman Training​

Master Woodsman - A man is skillful at woodcraft just in proportion as he approaches this balance. Knowing the wilderness can be comfortable when a less experienced man would endure hardship. Conversely, If a man endures hardships where a woodsman could be comfortable, it argues not his toughness, but his ignorance or foolishness, which is exactly the case with our blatant friend of the drawing-room reputation.
    SE White - Camp and Trail 1920 (p. 30)

Woodsman - one who works or lives in the woods or is versed in woodcraft; a forester.
    Plainsman - an inhabitant or settler of the prairie regions
    Frontiersman - a man who lives on the frontier
    Guide - 1. One who shows the way by leading. Directing. Or advising, usually by reason of his greater experience with the course to be pursued.

FIRECRAFT​

Apprentice Camper

• Select and prepare a fire site for heat, light, cooking, and companionship.
    • Choose and learn to operate and care for a wood fired camp stove.
    • Learn how to light, utilize and extinguish various fuels.
    • Select and store a supply of natural materials for a fire.
    • Discuss and observe safety and conservation practices.
    • Demonstrate ability to light a fire with one paper match and wooden kitchen match.
    • Identify the Fire Triad.

Journeyman Camper
    • Demonstrate ability to:
    • Build a stove fire or open fire and cook on it.
    • Light, use and care for several different camp stoves. Cook on one.
    • Prepare hearth furniture for an open cooking fire.
    • Reclaim a single use fire pit so it leaves minimal trace.
    • Identify sources of fat liter, resins and other fire lighting aids.
    • Identify common woods of the area and know their burning qualities.
    • Light a fire using a friction and/or percussion fire set.

Journeyman Woodsman
    • Identify the most common fire “lays” and discuss the uses.
    • Build wet weather fire.
    • Build a fire on snow.
    • Build a fire in the wind.
    • Build a safe fire in hazardous conditions.
    • Discuss the factors affecting stove design, selection and operation in a tent.

Master Woodsman
    • Build fires for a variety of camp tasks.
    • Demonstrate ability to prepare a set in the field, and kindle a fire without matches under a variety of conditions.
    • Discuss factors concerning fire use in ecologically sensitive areas.
    • Reclaim fire pits and obliterate duplicate sites.
    • Present a clear understanding of the arguments for and against wood and fossil fuel fires.
    • Intelligently support your chosen fuel. Define a “personal ethic.”

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  42. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    David, I see you say this list is in your book. Can you tell us where/how you came up with the list?

43. _Plainsman

Blog Posts:
    I think it originated with Seton.

44. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I know Seton has a book called "The Log of the Master Woodsman" But, I don't want to go ordering it if that isn't where the info came from.

And I have looked at Seton's other works that are available in our download section here and there is no list or mention of "Master Woodsman" in any of them.

45. David Wescott

David Wescott Woodsmoke

Blog Posts:
    The original format was adapted form the old American Camping Association's Tripcrafter certification. They dropped it in the late 80's and have since changed the name of their organization to the American Camp Association, so I took the original idea and wanted to conserve an old program as well as add to it. I refined it and made it a bit more challenging than the original. The whole program is listed in Camping In The Old Style but is scattered throughout the book. Here's some more.

TOOLCRAFT​

Apprentice Camper
    • Select an appropriate knife for camp and trail use.
    • Demonstrate ability to handle, care for and store pocket-knife.
    • Discuss and display knowledge of:
    • Need for careful use of tools. • Proper use of tools.
    • Local regulations concerning tool use.
    • Demonstrate ability to sharpen a knife.
    • Demonstrate knife handling skills by making a “try stick” displaying notches typically used in
    camp.

Journeyman Camper
    • Select an appropriate axe and saw for camp and trail use.
    • Set up a chopping and sawing area.
    • Sharpen an axe.
    • Carefully use an axe and saw.
    • Saw a log into short lengths and split it for kindling.
    • Cut off and trim a tree limb where possible.
    • Make fuzz/feather sticks
    • Work in a manner that reduces waste, and is easy to clean up.
    • Use a knife to make simple camp tools, a spatula, spoon and folk toys.

Journeyman Woodsman
    • Sharpen a saw and set the teeth.
    • Identify woods for various purposes.
    • Select vegetation for removal and use.
    • Make a handle and/or sheath for an axe and knife.
    • Select and use specialized tools for your type of trip.
    • Display ability to work and live by showing stewardship and minimal impact.
    • Build a saw frame from natural materials.
    • Use a knife to make netting needles or carving projects.

Master Woodsman
    • Select, use and maintain specialized tools used for woodcraft:
    • Spoke shave • Draw knife • Adze • Maul or beetle
    • Rasp • Crooked knife • Wedges • Scraper
    • Froe • Shaving horse • Awl • Gouges and Chisels
    • Build a wooden tool box or portable canvas storage pouch for tools and sharpening gear.

46. _Plainsman

Blog Posts:
    The countdown to Woodsmoke has begun!!! Who's feeling like a teenage girl getting ready to see bieber!?!

I AM! :D

47. ModernNessmuk

ModernNessmuk Tracker

Blog Posts:

ME TWO!

48. Naffanya

Naffanya Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    how do you do

I'm new here , nice thread!

49. _Plainsman

Blog Posts:
    Any one else gonna hang in Idaho? What are you gonna use for an underquilt/pad?

50. Guy

Guy Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I will hang if the trees are available. I use the Big Agnes Air Core pad and have had no problems down to 30*, with the pad and my Lumina bag.