wool jackets and sweaters

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by skbenton, Jan 2, 2013.

1. skbenton

skbenton Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What the "go to" places for wool clothing? I have googled and came up empty handed or found sites with ridiculous prices.

2. iraqvet0709

iraqvet0709 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    wool

try military surplus websites and stores...the old wool sweaters the army issued back in the day are amazingly warm and i wish i had kept mine when i got out. also look at second hand stores...its a possibility.

3. Pat1973

Pat1973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Filson,llbean,woolovers.ca,ebay,woolrich,of course it all depends in what kind of clothing and price you are searching for..

4. JRW87

JRW87 Tracker

Blog Posts:
  5. Schwert

Schwert Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thrift shops, surplus and Sierra Trading Post are all good.

STP had Swandri last year for blowout prices.

6. gm42

gm42 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sierra Trading Post

7. nothinghead

nothinghead Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Goodwill for me.

If you don't mind paying new prices, I was just in the campmor store in Jersey and they have woolrich wool in stock too.

8. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    "Ridiculous?" Please be realistic. Wool is not synthetic. it grows on sheep, not trees, nor is it formed by machine into something that makes thread. it takes a year to grow, on an animal that needs care (unlike a pine tree that just grows on its own for 20 years). Shearing is still a hand-process... after that, yes, it gets mechanical.

if you want wearable (good quality, no itch) wool, it costs.

if you want cheap, stick to polypro fleece.

Good, Fast, Cheap. You can only pick two.

9. PineMartyn

PineMartyn Scout

Blog Posts:
    How I get cheap woolens

I wear a lot of wool clothing (base layers, pants, shirts, sweaters, coats, hats, gloves and mittens) for snowshoeing, winter camping, and also for use in the shoulder seasons (late autumn & early spring).

However, I don't pay big bucks for my wool garments because I'm patient. There are two tricks to getting your woolens affordably:
    1) Go to secondhand and discount stores such as Good Will, Salvation Army and Value Village. Do it regularly and you will eventually find what you're looking for. One visit won't do it.
    2) Shop the 'end-of-season' sales. Stores that sell wool garments (such as Woolrich shirts and coats) often have terrific deals at the end of winter and in very early spring. You can often find a brand new garment for half or even less than half the price of a new one.

As Seeker rightly explained, wool is costly to produce. Just as importantly, there just is not a big market for wool clothing. People like clothing that is sleek, form-fitting, and make them look fashionable, athletic, and sexy. Wool clothes tend to look baggy and rustic, and so they don't appeal to as many people. Additionally, most people who buy winter garments today only need them for fair weather day trips that end with them in a warm chalet, vehicle or home. They don't need the insulating bulk, breathability, and fire-resistant qualities of wool that are so important when you're spending long days or nights in winter. Between the cost of raw wool and the much smaller market demand, manufacturers of wool garments can't exploit economies of scale to the same extent as makers of modern urban outdoor fashion clothing do.

The only way to get wool clothes cheaply is to be patient and get an article here and there from discount stores and end of season sales. If you're looking for them brand new right now, at this time of year, you're looking at the worst possible time of year and will pay the premium price. But in just a couple of months, you can buy the same garments for a fraction of the price.

Hope this helps,
    - Martin

10. CodenameWalrus

CodenameWalrus Scout

Blog Posts:
    QFT, Martin.

11. PineMartyn

PineMartyn Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks CodenameWalrus. Had to Google 'QFT' though. My first thought was, "Dem's fightin' woids!" :mad:

Cheers,
    - Martin

12. Treeline

Treeline Scout

Blog Posts:
    Even though good wool sweaters and jackets cost more, to me it is worth it because they tend to last a very long time. I have favorite wool sweaters that I have been wearing for 15 years and they are still going strong. It's kind of like buying tools; spend more and buy the high quality tool, or spend less on the "throw-away" tool, which you'll replace several times and end up spending more in the long run.

As others have already mentioned, look for the good brands used and save some $. Thrift stores, EBay, etc. ;)

13. Yevoc1

Yevoc1 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Goodwill! The majority of my wool come from there.

14. borego

borego Scout

Blog Posts:
    It also depends where you live.

It's hard to find wool in fl, not that common let alone cold. sometimes you get lucky

sometimes

15. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    what size and what do you consider ridiculous?

16. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Guess i ought to contribute a source of wool (aside from Sheep!)

I got a nice Filson Cruiser off ebay for about $110 around 4 years ago. It's in great shape with hardly any wear. It's the gray one. The green ones go for more.

I also found 2x merino wool sweaters cheap. One is an LL Bean pullover. Lists for about $100, but i got it off the "scratch and dent" rack at one of their retail outlets for $5 because it had a small 'pull' and they couldn't sell it 'new'. The other is like one of the army wool sweaters, with the high collar and the 5 buttons. Mine only has 4 i think, and it is SOFT. LOVE it. Again, $5, this time at Goodwill.

I found a wool field shirt on ebay a couple years ago for about $25. indestructible, but itchy around the neck.

I also got a pair of the army wool cold weather pants off ebay this year, for about $25-30. Found those old figure-8 suspenders with the hook on them for $2 at a local surplus shop, and had a pair of the pants liners already.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  17. MiddleWolf

MiddleWolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    +1 on this advice adding thrift stores, rummage sales, estate sales, and any other garage/yard sales you can catch. Wool garments in good shape are popular with more then just bushcrafters so good hunting.

18. PineMartyn

PineMartyn Scout

Blog Posts:
    skbenton,
    It occurs to me that showing might be more persuasive than just saying, when it comes to getting good winter clothes inexpensively, especially wool garments.

Last winter I made a series of instructional videos about winter camping for people who are interested in giving it a try, but not sure where to begin,
    I devoted a part of one of these videos to the very subject under discussion in this thread. Below is a video of me, camping in an igloo, showing and discussing what clothing I take with me winter camping, why I wear mostly wool, where I get it, and how much I paid for it.
    That portion of video starts at the 5:55 mark, so one needn't watch the whole video.

[video=youtube_share;WxRE62WlvJI]http://youtu.be/WxRE62WlvJI?t=5m55s[/video]

Hope this helps,
    -Martin

19. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It also helps tremendously to watch your weight . Finding wool is difficult, finding 2X wool is difficult squared . That being said I just got a beautiful woolrich wool shirt off Ebay for about $40 including shipping . 2X its a little tight around the middle but ok .
    I was inspired by one of PineMartins videos where he built the igloo just wearing his wool shirt .

I also have been sewing a lot and repurpose wool coats into useful things . Just got a really nice Polish wool blanket for $15 including shipping . If I get a couple more when free shipping deal resurfaces I want to make a kapote .

20. PineMartyn

PineMartyn Scout

Blog Posts:
    Actually, riverjoe, in that part of the video (part 2, I think) I was not even wearing my wool shirt. I was down to my my ultra-thin (almost see-through) merino wool base-layer top....all so I wouldn't sweat at about -7 Celsius (19 Fahrenheit).

Hope this helps,
    - Martin

21. Spearo

Spearo Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Columbia Wool jacket.
    I got it through Cabellas for about 70.00
    I have since utilized the winter insert from a army BDU coat as the inner layer/liner. I sewed a few buttons onto the liner to button it shut, and now it works for two two different coats. The wool coat has big buttons for gloved hands, big enough breast pockets for hands, double layer elbows as well as double layer shoulders that work as padding for long guns. Two extra buttons sewn inside the coat.

22. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Don't take offense Martin I think he meant it this way .

Quantum field theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework for constructing quantum mechanical models of fields and many-body systems (in a condensed matter context), both of which are systems classically represented by an infinite number of degrees of freedom. They are also used in the description of critical phenomena and quantum phase transitions, such as in the BCS theory of superconductivity. Quantum field theories are especially useful for describing systems where the particle count/number may change over the course of a reaction

23. bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob Tracker

Blog Posts:
  24. mongo

mongo Tracker

Blog Posts:
  25. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Check out Ecuador wool sweaters. Just got one at Savers for $2.99! Weighs in at 2 1\2 pounds. I started looking for them online and see they new around $60

26. Northman242

Northman242 Scout

Blog Posts:
  27. VinWild

VinWild Scout

Blog Posts:
    I totally second this site; I have a poncho and pullover in heavy and blanket weight and they are superb products. Not to mention as "bushy" as modern apparel comes !

28. mongo1958

mongo1958 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  29. rusty

rusty Tracker

Blog Posts:
    don't forget Stormy Krommer,more than hats

30. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Check out Ecuador wool sweaters. Just got one at Savers for $2.99! Weighs in at 2 1\2 pounds. I started looking for them online and see they new around $60

31. Yevoc1

Yevoc1 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    http://www.classicsportsman.com/
    Here is another place to pick up some very high quality wool. I know the prices of some of the really good wool you see is staggering, but you only have to buy it once. Unless you out grow it, you'll be able to pass the stuff down to your great grandchildren.

32. maddrjeffe

maddrjeffe Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Rivendell Bikes too

Check out Rivendell bikeworks too for some nice wool items... and dont forget the value of a nice vest or scarf... sometimes you just want a warm core....

33. bodhran4me

bodhran4me Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

I just watched your 5 part series and subbed to your channel. A very interesting and informative set of vids. Thank you for the link.

AND NOW BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD.

I agree with other posters that trips to second hand/Goodwill?Sally Ann type stores are great way to add inexpensive, quality wool items to your gear. I would also add garage sales, flea markets and auctions. I have seen a 4 point Hudson's Bay blanket sell for $55 at auction. If you can pick up some cheap wool blankets you can make your own gear such as hunter's coats, mackinaws etc.

34. 19112TAP

19112TAP Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been wearing King of the mountain and Sleeping Indian for the last 10 years mostly camo patterns but I did pick up a KOM lined coat in a solid grey that is my everyday coat. Also have some Pendelton and Woolrich shirt jackets but they are rougher on the skin. I plan on getting some Asbell wool in the near future I have some friends that like it alot.

35. ripcurlksm

ripcurlksm Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Goodwill. Goodwill. Hands down, Goodwill.

Got a merino wool sweater and thick wool sweater for $8 total. Both those items retail at $140.

Go check a few goodwill stores and get some!

36. ripcurlksm

ripcurlksm Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  37. Okie-trails

Okie-trails Tracker

Blog Posts:
    +1 on thrift stores & patience. Last weekend, I picked up a Mitts Nitts OD army sweater for $3.49.

38. winterlover

winterlover Guide

Blog Posts:
    buying surplus vs new...

Yes, sometimes you get lucky w/ surplus stuff; just got one of the full zip "Austrian commando sweaters" from swiss-link, I asked for the biggest one they had, and it turned out to fit perfectly (It is really about a size med, even though it says large). What a sweater! really more like a knitted coat, and perfect for layering under a wind parka, or even on it's own if it's not too windy. Extremely warm and cozy, also it looked brand new! However I have also had to return stuff which didn't fit, or which was in rough shape. There is certainly nothing wrong w/ just shelling out the $ for what you really want, because good stuff will last for years... I think most of us "bargain hunters" think of bargain shopping as a hobby which pays for itself, rather than the ultimate in efficiency.

39. Ned

Ned Scout

Blog Posts:
    Me too. :) Though my nicest Merino wool sweaters were bought at The Hudson's Bay Company. I have one in grey, aqua, and burgundy to go with all types of clothing. All with sleeves.

Besides those occasional department store purchases though, I love the thrift stores for the nicer material goods. The fancier and nicer the clothes, the more likely you are to find them in great condition at the thrift store. It's the cheap junk that comes in poor condition. The good stuff isn't worn much before it gets donated. When I used to always wear a suit and tie, I mostly got them all from the thirft store, with a few exceptions from Moores or Tip Top or whatever.

There was a time when I went through a silk shirt phase. Only real silk, of course. You can guess what my #1 source was. ;)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  40. skbenton

skbenton Tracker

Blog Posts:
    large or xl. $400 is a lot for a jacket. I am not opposed to paying more for quality but geezz...
    :1:

41. bone collector 85

bone collector 85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Gfa pullovers are the best imo

42. rolandsilvajr

rolandsilvajr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Bought an Austrian officers sweater on eBay around $100 but the thing is so high quality and so good I don't even think about taking it out unless its below 20 degrees. To hot. The same for my ll bean Maine guide wool parka. It's just way too warm above 20 degrees. Have a columbua wool hunting jacket that's fine down to 20 degrees maybe a little more but its not as think but really comfortable. Have matching wool pants that are the bomb. Put under layer and you are great into well sub zero. I have a Irish setter wool rabbit trapper hat and once again above 25 degrees too hot. They are hard to find. And basspro wool lifetime socks 87% wool. I hunted high and low for super quality wool socks rare to find anything above 47%. Most are 27-18% and $26 and up. The basspro lifetime wool socks are $9.99. A steal.

43. MoraBob

MoraBob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    thrift shops. You have to looks through EVERYTHING to find them but I came out of a Thrift Town with a thin wool Longsleeve, Wool Sweater, and Wool Coat. Paid about $15 for all 3.

44. mjf

mjf Scout

Blog Posts:
    Woolovers

I recently bought a hunters sweater from Woolovers UK and I am astounded at the quality of this sweater. It was on sale for $42.00 and shipping was only $9.00. I have wool that was four times the price and the quality was not as good. Check them out.

45. Ewker

Ewker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree and thrift stores and goodwill. I have seen a few Woolrich sweaters in the store. Unfortunatley none my size

46. zero40484

zero40484 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a wool pullover from this crew, I love it I just wish it had the hoody style front pocket, I dont love the two side seam pockets. But over all I can't complain about anything else the 32 OZ
    Wool is obsurdly warm!!

http://www.gfredasbell.com/gfa_wool_clothing.php

47. santaman2000

santaman2000 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wish mine still fit. :(

48. TSisk2

TSisk2 Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wool shirt

A good mid weight is the Korean era wool shirts the Army use to issue. Light enough to wear as a shirt or a light jacket. You can still find them every now and then at surplus stores. I liked the breast pockets.

49. Meathunter

Meathunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just picked up a thick wool Pendelton shirt/jacket at the local 2nd hand store for $15 in basically new condition, and later on I went to Goodwill and picked up a 100% Merino wool blanket for $5 and another wool blanket for $2.50. I would try those types of places once a week or so.

50. Meathunter

Meathunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    In wet and rainy Oregon I have had excellent luck wearing Carhartt wool boot socks, I think the percentages range from 18% to 47% but they have lasted well, and haven't had any issues while hunting or hiking with them on. They are around $15 a pair though, but I get them at Fred Meyer's when they are buy one get one half off.