your thoughts on shotshells

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by freefall149, May 4, 2012.

1. freefall149

freefall149 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey yall
    It's been quite a while since I've posted anything. (career, marriage and all that jazz)
    Been a hunter for a long time, but just recently I've gotten into handguns/ concealed carry. I only own 1 handgun (9mm). I'd like to have a .410 Judge to carry in the woods but, let's be honest, youth ministers don't make a fortune. So I had a thought, when in the outdoors, to carry hollow points in my 9mm [protection, bears] and carry a spare mag of shot shells for snakes and the like. I just don't want to lug around my shotgun all the time. Thoughts?

2. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I carry a glock with a spare mag of shotshells for snakes, it works fine.

ETA: Make sure ya pattern your pistol with the shotshells just like you would a normal shotgun. Might be surprised at how far from point of aim the center of the pattern is.

3. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    In my experience if you see a snake far enough in advance to draw a gun and shoot it, it probably wasn't posing much danger to begin with.

I use handgun and rifle (22) shotshells for clearing out vermin in outbuildings. That way I don't shoot holes through the walls and roof.

Now, if you're shooting the snake for food ... that's a different story.

Cheers

Steve

4. wolffire99

wolffire99 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think anything less than .357 mag for bears and you're probably better off with the pepper spray.

5. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i have one pistol, a Taurus 66 .357 revolver. It has 7 cylinders. i load 3 with snakeshot, 4 with jhp. during the day, when i worry most about jake and his no-legged brethren, i roll the cylinder to 'snakeshot'. should i run into cletus during the day, he doesn't know what i'm loaded with. at night, when i worry more about cletus' drunk buddies, or 4-legged critters (like feral hogs, dogs, or whatever), i roll it to 'JHP'.

6. whiteoak

whiteoak Scout

Blog Posts:
    Speer shot capsules,
    I use them in .38 and .44 special. and love them. In the .44 I have taken squirrles. with a load of #5shot, and unique. I have not used them in autos but imagine they work just as well. out to about 3 to 4 yards.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2012
  7. dracothered

dracothered Scout

Blog Posts:
    The one thing no one has brought up is that shot shells in a semi-auto pistol will not cycle the slide to load the next round. They are really only meant for revolvers. I bought a box of them for my Ruger SR22 .22 pistol and they wouldn't cycle the slide one bit.

8. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    9mm cycle my glock 17 fine.

9. KCD1974

KCD1974 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I got this from the Buffalo Bore web site....

Black bears are very different mentally, than grizzly bears. Black bears come in red, brown, blonde, and black color phases, but they are all black bear species and should be considered “black bears” regardless of color phase. While black bears have much the same physical qualities (normally smaller) of grizzly bears, they GENERALLY have a much different mindset.

To stop black bears, all you have to do is hurt them; you do not need to kill them. Almost any center fire handgun cartridge will dissuade a black bear if you hit them well with it. The more powerful the cartridge, the more damage you’ll potentially do to the bear, but nearly any black bear will turn tail if he is hit with a cartridge such as good stiff 9mm load. I know this argues against prevailing wisdom, but prevailing wisdom is based mostly on speculation, not real world experience and is not really wisdom.

We make “bear loads” in smaller chamberings such as 9mm, (item 24F) 38 SPL+P, (item 20H) and 357 mag. (item 19A). We do this because a lot of people own those guns and don’t want to buy a 454 Casull or 44 mag. I would have no problem defending myself against a black bear attack (and have done so) with the proper 9mm ammo. I prefer a more powerful/bigger cartridge, but the 9MM will get it done, even on grizzlies, if you take their brain. Of course, making a brain shot under such duress, will take practice and cool nerves.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=62

I'd go with some of their 9mm and be good to go....Other wise pick up a cheap 12 or 20ga and bring some slugs....That would suit what you are wanting WAY better than a .410 any way. I just picked up a mossberg super bantam (youth 20ga.) packs small and very light. I have little doubt it would suffice for stopping a black bear.

10. dracothered

dracothered Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ok, I have not tried them in anything but the .22 so I will take your word on it for now. It may be due to the blow back setup on a .22 instead of the locking breach that a 9mm will have.

11. whiteoak

whiteoak Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think they work in centerfires just fine, I have a friend with a 1911 that seems to have no issues with handloaded shot capsules in it. He uses it with #8 shot to keep snakes out of his belly boat. I keep telling him to get cheep .38 because just the thought of his Royal Blue Colt Commander in those wet conditions makes me want to cry.:17:

12. Hubb

Hubb Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've fired "rat shot" from a Glock 22 and my 1911, both of which cycled fine (and both times were to kill a snake...). I don't think it's ideal though. Never saw the need to have a magazine specifically for this special round. The best way to defeat a snake is to simply avoid it (watch your footing, don't turn objects towards you, etc).

As far as a bear is concerned. I ain't really worried about those. I'll just suplex him into submission. (Not really. I'm not worried about them because they aren't any around where I generally am at).

13. dracothered

dracothered Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ok it seems the larger cal rounds they work in the semi-autos, but I think they are still better suited in a revolver where you can have lets say two shot shells and the rest heavy hitting loads.

14. Hubb

Hubb Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    And here's another tip. On the Judge, shoot one and check reviews if at all possible, before buying one. They are fun to shoot but it's more a novelty gun than anything else. To me (and this is solely my opinion) it just isn't practical for what it offers and you'd probably be better off with another choice.

15. zippydapanhead

zippydapanhead Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Judge, I Swore To Tell The Truth

The Box O' Truth guys did their usual GREAT WORK on the Taurus Judge and it is worth a visit... also just worth a visit in general... who else would report on the results of loading your shotgun with dimes! :23:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  16. Pappy Frank

Pappy Frank Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That is not quite true. They use the same anti venom for all pit vipers, the Coral snake has a different type venom and needs a different anti venom.

17. Lerch

Lerch Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Someone else may have mentioned this and I missed it but it can actually be dangerous to use shot shells in a gun such as a Glock. The Glock uses a barrel with a tighter bore than say a Beretta. This combined with the their hexagonal rifling produces higher velocities from the same round. This is a problem when shooting lead shot or lead cast bullets. The build up can cause the dreaded Kaboom.

[​IMG]

18. dracothered

dracothered Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have never heard of lead fouling causing a gun barrel going kaboom.... Only that it causes the accuracy to drop with to much of it.

19. TaigaTreader

TaigaTreader Scout

Blog Posts:
    I popped a pheasant this December with a Taurus 651 in .357. I was on a long dayhike with my father-he brought the 870, and I had one of my concealed carry pieces on me, so I purchased some shotshells. Thankfully I got lucky and a handsome rooster bedded down instead of taking off-he was maybe 2 yards from my feet. Depending on your firearm's rifling/barrel length, it would probably be worth carrying a handful in your survival kit. I can see it being a practical solution for upland fowl, rabbits, snakes and the like.

20. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    A few have reported fair results with shot loads on small game, but my experience in calibers from 22, 9mm, 38 spl to 44 and 45 Colt, and some handmade 45-70 shot loads are that they blow the pattern pretty quickly from the rifling in the barrel. The rifling causes the shot pattern to spin and open up quickly, and leaves a hole in the center as well. The very small charge of shot makes the patterns rather thin and sparse beyond about 10 feet. Try patterning some on paper targets or cardboard and see how the patterns work in your gun, it may be better than average.

I find they kill snakes very well to about 10 feet. That's about all I do with them or would trust them. Very good small game loads can be made up for rifles or pistols with a round ball of appropriate size for the particular gun and a very small charge of powder. I use the round ball loads in the 30-30 for snakes, bunnies and grouse. Much more effective range than shot loads also.

I'm one of the unrepentant snake slayers. I've had a number of bad and near bad experiences with them. Rattlers in any event, I leave other types alone, they can pick up the slack that the dead rattlers miss out on.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  21. beerguy28

beerguy28 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    a friend of mine was looking for some shot shells for his .380, does anyone know where he could find them for this caliber?

22. Raminshooter

Raminshooter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    357 shooter here. I always load the first three chambers with shotshells and here is why: if it is an actual intruder in my home I don't want my wife or myself hesitating about dropping the hammer. Knowing that the intruder will not know that the big lound boom is NOT a real bullet has its advantage as does knowing that I or my wife can easily run through three "convincer" rounds before having to go lethal. Same with mountain lions here in California where I hunt....all they know is the big loud boom sound and that is enough to convince them to leave the area quickly and no one gets hurt (or cited).

23. jon

jon Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wouldnt use HP in a 9 for bear I would want FMJ and hope they drive deep and use all of them, I carry FMJ in my 40 when hiking or my 12ga with slugs in camp

24. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Discuss the effectiveness of shotshells and you are on topic. Discuss when, why or whether to kill snakes, and you are off topic. Such posts will result in thread closure.

G1

25. Griff

Griff Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I used to carry an 8-round S&W 317 .22 revolver with the first 2 as shotshells for snakes in the hen house. Not too effective unless very close range, usually within 10 feet, and always needed a 3rd well-placed hit with a solid or HP to finish them off.

Got some .38/.357s now, but haven't had to use them yet. Even with the added oomph I'm still not sure I'd trust them on anything much bigger than a rat, though. Mostly thinking of them as a quick snap shot, which is probably not such a great idea, come to think of it.

Take care, and Thanks for doing the Lord's work, FreeFall