youtube problems

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by S.Gossman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. S.Gossman

S.Gossman Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I recently found out that my account had been suspended. When I inquired about it through youtube support, they could not give me a reason only that it was suspended. Anyone else having issues with their youtube account?
    Scott

2. BushTramp

BushTramp Team Canada Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    did you have music in any of them?-even background?

3. Iz

Iz MEMBER of a BANNED Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Scott,
    I got thinking about this.
    Did you ever get a gmail account and link it to youtube?
    I think there was rule a while ago where they made everyone do that.
    I'm wondering if you didn't and they deleted the account because of it?
    Youtube blows these days.

4. S.Gossman

S.Gossman Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Only one but I've seen many youtube vids with music.
    Scott

5. Iz

Blog Posts:
    I don't think it's the music. I have tons of music in my stuff and it's still there....for now.

6. S.Gossman

S.Gossman Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Never got a gmail account when I signed up in July 2010. I was never informed I had to. If I do it now, I will end up with a new channel. I know because I tryed to sign up with a google account and couldn't link to my channel. Ended up with a new channel. I have since deleted the new account and new channel. I'm thinking I'm done making videos for youtube
    Scott

7. Dr. Redneck

Dr. Redneck Guide

Blog Posts:
    mines fine, it might be the 2-step verifacation thing

8. Easy_rider75

Easy_rider75 Bushwhacker

Blog Posts:

I had my gmail way before I signed up to youtube and have it linked to my youtube account never had any issues with it.

Agreed though youtube does blow for sure

9. Iz

Blog Posts:
    yeah, I did the same. I'm pretty sure that's the problem, not linking the gmail accounts. That's the only thing I can think of because Scott didn't have any offensive or controversial stuff on his channel.

10. S.Gossman

S.Gossman Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    How would I go about getting a gmail account? Is it done through google? Top right hand corner when trying to log into youtube?
    Scott

11. Easy_rider75

Easy_rider75 Bushwhacker

Blog Posts:

google.com there should be a sign up link for gmail if not just search it in gmail easy to get an account set up

12. Kimber45guy

Kimber45guy Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had the same problem when YouTube forced the gmail thing. I'm gonna have to make a new channel altogether.

13. zammer

zammer Guide

Blog Posts:
    Iz...Figured I'd ask someone who has used youtube a lot, are there other alternatives we can use ( on this site ) for displaying vids? for ex: photobucket, can the vids be embedded here, I hav'nt uploaded any vids here so far but will probably want to in 2012 it would be nice if there were alternatives we could use, thanks

14. _Plainsman

_Plainsman Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    vimeo should work

15. zammer

zammer Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the suggestion Plainsman, I was wondering about vimeo as well, I like them because of the quality of vid you can retain but I never see them used here.

16. HillbillyBushcraft

HillbillyBushcraft Scout

Blog Posts:
    It is probably music or a single persons complaint.

17. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a gmail account and I have no issues.....yet.

18. S.Gossman

S.Gossman Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Same here with the gmail account. Never had one when I signed up and I don't want one. As far as photobucket, I think you can upload videos. I have photobucket to host pics but never tried the videos. I may end up just uploading videos on my website.
    Scott

19. WestrnBushcrft

WestrnBushcrft Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have my gmail hooked up with mine and never had a problem... Maybe your channel got hacked???

20. Iz

Blog Posts:
    There's several alternatives but nothing that has as many members as youtube. I'm waiting for a competitor to get big enough and then I'm outta there. I don't know when/if that'll happen though.

21. zammer

zammer Guide

Blog Posts:
    O.K...I thought there might possibly be a use youtube only kinda deal for vids on here, glad to see there's not, thanks

22. BackwoodsUncleBub

BackwoodsUncleBub Scout

Blog Posts:
    It only takes one complaint to have a video banned. More complaints or "violations", like using music, graphics, video and etc. that you do not own the rights to, can get your account banned/suspended.

I know your video would probably be "cooler" and "awesome" with Metalica or AC/DC in the background... But the truth is if you don't own the rights to it, you shouldn't use it. Period.

There are plenty of Open Source, Creative Commons, Public Domain and etc. stuff you can use legally and without fear of being banned/suspended/ or even sued.

Granted it takes a little more time, and is a little more difficult, but it can be done. I do it all the time.

Play by the rules and you have nothing to fear. Break the rules and you're just playing on borrowed time before someone hits the flag button. :-(

If you played nice and everything is legitimate, you can contest the ban.

visit http://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en to find out how.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  23. S.Gossman

S.Gossman Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Back on my channel. Apparently there was an email issue with my account.
    Scott

24. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Regarding "Music in a video" - I took video of a Nephew's wedding, and posted it to YouTube, for the extended family to see.

Within a day of posting it, It was taken down, and I got an email from YouTube telling me that I had violated a copyright - or some such crap - Because during the processional, softly in the background was a Mariah Cary song playing.

I protested, and after mediation, they concurred that the music was merely accidental/incidental - nothing to do with the actual intent of the video, and they put the video back up.

grrrrrrrrr.

So .. That is something to bear in mind, when compiling videos .. heh!

25. kgd

kgd Dr. Fishguts Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Photobucket works fine for uploading videos. However, photobucket has (or used) monthly bandwidth limit for free accounts which includes all users accessing your photos/videos through links added to places like BUSA. Since videos take up so much memory I can see that you would quickly exceed your monthly bandwidth limits. When that happens, photobucket prevents anyone from seeing your link (including pictures) until your bandwidth limit gets reset the following month. The only way around this is to purchase a subscription from photobucket which will give you unlimited views on all your materials.

The benefit of photobucket is that it is considered private material to your account. The only people who can see this material are those who are given a link. You won't have walk-ins who can search your video by description. Of course, it becomes grey when you publish the link to a site like BUSA. An important benefit is that since you are not officially "publishing" your material on the web like you are with youtube, there are no copyright police and you will never get something taken down for including music ect. I do believe they have rules regarding nudity.

So it depends on whether you are interested in publishing your video to a web site for world access or if you are just sharing your video to a select group of people who you provide a link to.

As Iz points out, many people with established youtube channels enjoy the wider access of their works to the world community. Youtube also provides a bunch of tools to allow you to track viewership trends - e.g. monthly views, where views are coming from (country), how people are viewing your videos (linked to forums, versus youtube search page, versus subscriber lists etc). If you enjoy these aspects, you won't find them on photobucket and there really isn't any other site comparable to youtube for name recognition and users. Of course there are a lot of idiots (like that bastard who keeps disliking my videos :D) out there so that can be an issue especially for folks who aren't looking to be trolled or criticized.

This is a bit of a common misnomer. As long as you do not tamper with the digital rights tags of the music file you are using, it is still legitimate to use copyrighted material under certain caveats.

One thing that youtube does for you is scan your videos for copyrighted music or other material and then checks that against its own databases for youtube copyright agreement. If you use a song to which youtube has a license agreement in place then youtube automatically places a link (usually to Itunes) to purchase that song and provides the right music credit underneath your video window. There is nothing wrong with this legally and you are not breaking any rules.

However, it is possible that a particular song or even whole group of licenses will change their status e.g. from allowable to non-allowable. If this happens then youtube will automatically disable your video. This has happened to me on a couple of my videos. Finally, youtube licensed use covers different areas, so you might find your video is viewable in some countries but not others. Most of my videos that fall in this category are not viewable in Germany for some reason.

Regarding complaints or violations of the copyright agreement. This occurs under 2 conditions.

1) You removed the digital rights management coding to the music you uploaded with your video. This happens for example if you are shooting the video with black sabbath or some group playing in the background and the music gets copied to your video rather than you attaching a music file. If you do this, you can be accused of tampering with the copyright of the music or of theft of that music.

2) If you signed up to the youtube partnership program, whereby youtube places additional ads on your videos and you get paid money depending on the number of views received. In order to sign up to the partnership program, all the material in your videos collectively loaded on a given channel must be your own original material. So you basically can't include any copyrighted music or video segments in videos that you try to make money off of.

Avoid (1) and (2) and you should be good to go.

On the other hand, I do agree with the recommendations of using license free music when you can. I have switched to this only because the 'change in status' of a given song has bit me on a few back videos and I don't really feel like go through the hassle of re-editing and re-uploading a video that I already published. I have found this sight to be a good one for free music. Easy to sample music and download it.

http://freemusicarchive.org/

Actually I'm surprised they let you put it up because even if it was accidental, the fact is that a copyrighted song was included in your video and you had no digital rights to it. This usually pisses them off. I would imagine that they let you off the hook because only a snipet of the song was published and it fit in the 'fair use' agreement.

26. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks KGD, good info!