“The Scariest Thing I’ve Ever Woken Up To...”

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Haggis, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I’ve “woken up to”: pretty hard blows with trees falling around me, flood waters way too close to my tent, heavy dumps of rain or snow, half dozen soldiers, including my new Sargent, whompin’ the pudding out of me and attempting to rob me on pay night, an angry young fella with a cocked pistol pointed at me, and to a pregnant wife about to give birth where the only “doctor” anywhere close was me,,, but this fella in the video gets the prize I think.

What is the scariest thing you’ve ever woken up to whilst camping?

2. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hearing my wife hit the floor with a thud of dead weight.

Eta. Didn't read the camping part.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  3. Back50

Back50 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would have had to change my underwear.......

bacpacjac, Beach Hiker, pab1 and 6 others like this.
  4. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Camping or not, that had to be terrible.

5. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Thankfully it was just a combo of meds lowering her blood pressure & anxiety of low bp that caused her to pass out.

But it messed me up a bit, not gonna lie. Not at that moment, but weeks later I became ultra sensitive to the sounds of things falling. Just the sound of the cat knocking something over in the night would have me up and my adrenaline pumping. Went on for months.

6. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Waking up to my ex. Next to that some crazy dude streaking through our campsite. Some campground in Gillette WY.

7. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think I would have had a .38 diameter hole I would have had to repair on my tent screen.

8. Bush Billy

Bush Billy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    On a cross-country bicycle trip, my buddy and I set up a stealth camping in the middle of a field of tall grass . . .ground pads and sleeping bags and to bed we went. We happened to have been in the middle of Navajo reservation. At about 2 a.m. a couple of drunk locals decided to take a short cut home and tripped over my buddy! He shot up, I shot up . . . everyone was yelling and screaming. After pissing ourselves, we all got a huge laugh out of it. I can only imagine what the heck went trough the natives' heads when two guys jump up in a grass field on a moonless night and start screaming!!!

9. Timo.mac1

Timo.mac1 Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    High winds and the sound of a tree falling within 50 yards of my hammock, in pitch black, woke me completely, in an instant. The ground shook and I spent the next 30 minutes second-guessing my widow maker checks that morning. I eventually convinced myself I'd been thorough and that was nothing deadly was hanging over me, but the wind was strong and I then worried about tall, slender maples and oaks snapping off mid trunk and skewering me to the ground.

I never considered the threat of heavy winds. All of the long, slender trees laying on the ground nearby should have been a warning.

Something for future consideration.

10. Coyote Charlie

Coyote Charlie MOA #63, Roughian #88, Wastelander Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Holy smokes @Haggis that's crazy! Was there any reason you know that it was so interested in your tent? Glad it all worked out!

11. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good that he didn't panic , the bear would have sensed that and become even more interested.
    Animals read body language and for the record do not speak English or any other human language .
    High pitched sounds denote panic, if your voice is hi pitched, keep your mouth shut.
    Long low guttural sounds Uaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa is a disapproval .
    In some situations I have thrown rocks to drive them away and even chase after them the moment they turn away to make sure they know I mean business.
    A particularly aggressive /hungry/injured/ bear will not be so distracted , may even be provoked . but still maintaining your ground is the best action .you can not out run nor out fight bare handed . and if you manage to get scratched by the claws, treat it like poisonous they are highly infectious. A friends goat was only scratched only and died from the infection alone.
    This event If I could not be armed is a great reason for a good solid staff and not trekking polls .
    Have some one point a staff in your face, it is uncomfortable. It is why lion tamers use a chair .
    I have a staff I had created for my self that can support several attachments, but primarily for self defense against predators I wish not to kill .

bacpacjac, Paulyseggs, yohan and 8 others like this.
  12. bigfoots

bigfoots Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was Camping with my father and brother back in the 70s and I slept right next to a window in our large cabin tent. In the morning people were all excited because there were signs of a bear or bears in the camp grounds. We went back to our camp site and discovered paw prints from the bear right outside the window that I had slept by. The prints were so close it's nose had to have been pressed right up against the screen! I'm surprised he hadn't drooled on me while I slept.

13. Timo.mac1

Timo.mac1 Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Haggis,

Did you get your stuff sack back? How about the rest of your gear? Did the bear eventually retreat or were you forced to leave?
    How did the story end? Resolution please!

14. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Scariest thing I’ve woken up to while camping was a fairly large spider on my face. Didn’t realize what it was until I brushed it off and got a good look at it. I have an irrational fear of spiders, so it really spooked me.

Thankfully I was wearing my bugnet/ski-mask dealio as I do whenever I sleep outside, but it still scared me.

15. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Was another fellas tent and video...

16. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    While the video is interesting this bear has now been trained to deal with humans, perhaps see humans as non-dangerous, and is more likely to become a problem bear which leads to dead bear.

17. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Was another fella’s tent and video..

18. Coyote Charlie

Coyote Charlie MOA #63, Roughian #88, Wastelander Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Didn't pick up on that. Glad it worked out for him.

19. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Interesting video. I've been pretty close to bears out in the woods, but not that close for so long. The bear must be used to human interaction, or so it seems to me.

Not sure how I would have reacted in that situation. I'm not really afraid of a bear, but he didn't seem afraid of the dude either.

20. Beard-O

Beard-O Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not a story of my own and not something to wake up to but this one has got to be freaky. I read a story once of a guy who was solo hiking in the Grand Canyon area in the 70s. He spent about 2 weeks hiking and didn't see a single soul. When he got back home he dropped off his film to get developed (remember it was the 70s, cell phones and digital cameras weren't a thing). He picked up his pictures and looked through them. In amongst the pictures he took were several pictures of him . . . SLEEPING.

21. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    That is creepy, but fascinating at the same time. Not to derail, but back in the 35mm days there have been several times I've found things in photos that weren't there when I snapped the picture.

22. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    Scariest thing waking up?.....

Woke up once to a stranger standing in my bedroom doorway once. Almost dumped a load of buckshot in his stomach.

Woke up to the state police at the door, looking for someone. Apparently they received a "tip" from someone that a fugitive was staying with us. I'd still like to find out who pulled that one on me. :)

But for real, the scariest thing I ever woke up to was a few days after my father had passed away, I woke up to the realization that I was alone in life. And I have my wife and I have my kids, but when your parents are gone, there is a certain kind of empty and alone that can only be felt by that happening.

As to camping or sleeping outdoors, I don't recall ever waking up scared, or waking up to something scary....

23. Eero

Eero Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was sleeping under a tarp in utah and woke up to a coyote sniffing my face. I can still smell its breath

24. squishware

squishware Troubleshooter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My son still puking blood (second day in a row) on a section hike on the Appalachian Trail.

25. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:

This guy was incredibly lucky. IMO this is the most dangerous type of bear encounter. While defensive "fight or flight" reactions by bears like bluff charges, woofing and popping teeth will get the adrenaline going, this bears behavior is even more threatening.

This bear is displaying predatory behavior. Its pressing him to see if he will make a mistake, like turning his back and running, that it can take advantage of. The bear doesn't know what to make of the persons behavior since he's just sitting there. Prey animals will generally try to get away, giving the predator an opening.

The yawn at 7:28 and other signs show the bear is nervous. The only time the bear seems to perceive the person as a possible threat is when he finally gets out of the tent. At 11:39, when he emerges from the tent and approaches it, the bear backs off a bit to assess the situation. By 12:07 it seems to feel safe since the person has not done a thing to show that he's not an easy meal and it begins to close the distance again.

This guy left the entire outcome of this encounter up to the bear. Other than emerging from the tent, he never does anything to show that he is not potential prey. By staying low and whispering he is encouraging the bear. It shows as the bear slowly displays more aggressive behavior. In the end the bears nervousness wins out and it decides to leave.

There is no guarantee that "looking bigger" and acting more aggressive would prevent an attack. In this situation, every time he did anything that remotely posed a threat, the bear was ready to run off. Sitting there and letting the bear decide whether or not the risk is worth the reward (while not showing that there is any risk) would not be my choice of actions.

I've had many bear encounters and only two ever really made me nervous. Both times the bear stood its ground assessing the situation. They didn't start pressing me but they definitely were not afraid. I stood my ground, looking as big as I could and making noise. Both of those bears finally decided I wasn't worth pursuing and eventually moved on.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  26. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not really scary, but alarming...

I was sleeping in the bottom of the Grand Canyon. No tent, just in my sleeping bag on a pad and tarp. My pack was beside my bed. I heard something rustling my pack. Sat up and one of these critters ran OVER me during his escape. He got some of my food, but mostly both of us were startled.

[​IMG]

27. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Camped in a place in central-western part of Virginia. Don't recall exactly where. A black bear invaded the next-door campers right at dinner time and had a great feast off the picnic table, despite us throwing rocks and banging pots.

Later that night, my buddy and I were in a tiny 2-man pup tent. I heard very heavy breathing about 2 feet away from my head - a bear. It didn't bother us. We did hoist our food up in between a couple trees before we retired for the night.

28. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, a mouse running along my arm across my body. I must have got up to the call of nature during the night and left the screen unzipped, because neither one of us had trouble getting out of the tent!

29. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:

I came across this video that explains predatory behavior by black bears much better than I did. It reinforces that the bear in the video is displaying predatory behavior. The video description states "University of Calgary professor emeritus Dr. Stephen Herrero discusses new study of fatal black bear attacks in North America."

30. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    @pab1 I agree 100% that guy is lucky it didn't turn out bloody. I've only had 2 bears not run.
    One would stalk us in our yard. I think a neighbor pulled the ole SSS.

And one was in a state campground in NH. I actually elbowed it in the face thru the tent a few times half asleep, thinking I was home and it was the dog:confused:

But they start acting like the one in the video, I get loud and ready to fight.
    I saw one of those in FL!! I just got thru a summer of rabies shots and had killed a skunk & coon that were rabid so I was a little edgy. But that thing walked right up to me! It was at a hotel in Key West and a maintenance guy told me is was sorta a pet. But for a second I thought I was about to go toe to paw in flipflops and a Hawaiian shirt:4:

31. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That video there is why I ALWAYS zip my tent up at night. I don't want the bears to get in :)

The thing about the pictures of the sleeping fellow sound incredibly scary.

Not waking up, but I was taking a bath on a disaster relief trip when a several-minutes-long earthquake shook the house. It lasted long enough to make me slightly motion sick. It felt more strange than scary. Typical flatlander who never experienced an earthquake before, I had to process what was going on, get dressed, and walk outside. If I had it to do over again, I'd leave naked and get dressed outside. (My housemates did thank me for not doing that.)

@Haggis, I'd like to hear more about the fellow soldiers robbing you and about your wife being in labor without a doctor--that sounds scarier than a bear to me.

32. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    Had the farm a short time. Woke up to muffled screams from a goat in middle of the night. The water supply for the barn was a 5 ft. metal pipe sunk into the ground 20 feet. The pipe had a plywood cover. A goat had gotten out and was dancing on the cover, and broke through. Raced to the barn with my wife. Dropped a ladder in and went in and found goat tredding water. As soon as I got in the water, she swam into my arms. Got her out and she was fine. Lessons learned. Goats always get out. Reinforce well cover. Goats can swim. My wife and I respond well in an emergency. (Pigs can swim too, different emergency)

33. 1911srule

1911srule Guide

Blog Posts:
    House fire around 1969 Judds Bridge Farms in CT. I was 5. We had no 911. Not sure if there was a fire department. Zero dark thirty in winter. My brothers bed fully engulfed in flames from an outlet, wiring also set fire to inner wall of the bedroom. My Dad called a farmer who showed up with farm hands. They used axes to open the walls and get the fire out. I remember getting snatched up and taken outside where we stood in the snow as my brothers burning mattress was thrown out his window. God bless farmers you can always count on them. To this day I make sure we have multiple smoke detectors with good batteries...

34. Revinmama

Revinmama Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I did not wake up to this, but had just settled in my sleeping bag inside my tent one night when the bear who had been across the campground trying to get into a bear-proof garbage bin came prowling around all 4 sides of the tent. By "prowling" I mean that she sniffed the entire perimeter, right up against the tent wall -- 12 inches from my head. I had seen her and her yearling male cub an hour earlier when she walked right beneath the outcropping of rock where I had been watching the sun set. Scared me pretty bad right then, as that was the closest I had ever been to wild bears, but it is definitely unnerving to have them sniffing right at my head.

Marlene

35. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was camped out in a deep rocky canyon, sleeping in my hammock. There was a big boulder right beside my hammock. I got up to pee a couple of times, just stepped away from my hammock a little ways in my bare feet, then back in and back to sleep. When I got up the next morning and started moving around I heard a rattlesnake start buzzing, next to a little hole under the big boulder very close to my hammock. I was camped right in this guy's living room and he was telling me to get the hell outa here.

upload_2019-8-19_7-37-19.jpeg

36. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Fully vaccinated Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @gohammergo, I’m curious about the story of the stranger in your bedroom doorway. That would terrify the $__t out of me.

Can’t think of any scary stuff I’ve woken to in the woods. Scariest I can think of at home was waking up to my good friend and neighbor pounding on my apartment door in the middle of the night and yelling there was a fire in the building and it was filling with smoke. Building owners idiot son in an apartment below us fell asleep with a lit cigarette and burned up his bed and part of the bedroom. When clearing the building, firefighters broke down our locked front door to make sure we weren’t in there (we’d gone out the back way).

Fortunately the fire was contained. The building was actually designated a potential bomb shelter from the old days and had thick concrete between floors and apartment walls. So aside from the building smelling like smoke for a couple days, we didn’t have any damage.

37. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Mortar and small arms fire.

38. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm fairly certain that I would have had a heart attack. PHEW!

39. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That does sound scary...frankly, I can't imagine. I'm glad you made it home.

40. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the bear info, @pab1. I had a bear encounter this past weekend that rattled me. Knowledge is power and I appreciate you sharing!

41. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Training in the woods in Rangely Maine. USMC. 5 man team. We were sleeping in the mountains in just sleeping bags. We all woke up to one of the guys yelling. There was a moose pushing around his sleeping bag with her nose, he was still in it.
    He didn't live that one down for a long time. :18:

42. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Bullwinkle?

43. aklogcabindream

aklogcabindream Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree with @pab1. And that bear now needs to be removed because of folks like this who are more interested in a video that he can put on the Internet than his own safety. I would add when the bear walks forward and stands sideways that it is showing its size as an intimidation. A look how big I am pose.
    Way back when, my first job was a forest fire fighter. Basic bear training was if you encounter a brown bear and attacked don’t fight. Play dead role up in a ball and protect your stomach . Cusp hands on back of neck if you can.
    If a black bear approaches you its intent is to eat you. Fight back as hard as you can.
    This jerk helped insure that this bear will be killed .

44. SonsOfLiberty

SonsOfLiberty Student of Life Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That is predatory behavior without a doubt. Every single black bear (probably two dozen) I've run into in California will run off at the sound of humans. That bear would be put down in my campsite.

45. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:

Probably showing my ignorance, don't care, what is that animal?

riverjoe, pab1, Haggis and 2 others like this.
  46. gila_dog

Blog Posts:
    *** delete, duplicate ***

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  47. gila_dog

Blog Posts:
    It looks like a coati, sometimes called a coatimundi. Harmless unless you try to catch them.

48. The Woodsrunner

The Woodsrunner Possum Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Yep..

And @NevadaBlue that is way cool! I have always been fascinated by them

49. SonsOfLiberty

SonsOfLiberty Student of Life Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I woke up one night to my house alarm going off very loudly. The mode it was set in would mean someone would have to have entered a window. I shot up out of bed, got my handgun from the safe under my bed, turned off the alarm from my room, and went downstairs and cleared my house with the gun. It was about 5 minutes before I realized I had a very vivid nightmare and never set the alarm in the first place. I checked behind every door and shower curtain in the house, and I was confused because I never dream. Needless to say, I didn't' go back to bed. Really shitty way to wake up.

The most legitimate reason I had to be fearful in bed was while camped at 10k feet on Mt. Shasta when a lightning storm rolled in. It was night, and I was timing the thunder booms/lightning clap. They started several seconds apart, and then a couple of minutes later they were happening every at the same time, so I knew they were close. When it struck a jagged bolt of energy across the sky it turned the entire tent white like daylight, and then went black again. I took the poles out of my tent and threw all my metal crap outside the tent as hard as I could and just wrapped up in the material and rode it out. Really really scary. There was nowhere to hide, no terrain features--just me alone in the tent. That would be my last solo mountaineering trip, lol.

50. Pilot

Pilot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Is this a great country or what?

Lee C., Swampdog, bigfoots and 5 others like this.