02/20/17 Trip somewhere

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by TrailJack, Feb 14, 2017.

1. TrailJack

TrailJack Scout

The 20th is a holiday, I'm off and it's going to be 54 degrees. I'm going on a 15 mike hike on the 19th so the 20th is going to be a day trip somewhere, somewhere I hike in and plop my ass down and watch the fire and eat some lunch. Maybe off to Thunder Swamp (I like that place)?

Any other suggestions in NW Jersey / NEPA where you're allowed build a fire?

Pastor Chris likes this.
  2. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

One of my absolute favorites because the beauty, three nice trout streams and the fact that there are fire rings and pits EVERYWHERE is Hacklebarney State Park in Chester.

I am also off on Monday and would be happy to meet you there and show you around a bit. Chester Meats is also an amazing place to get meats for lunch, as many members here can attest. Let me know, we might be able to get a few members together.

TrailJack likes this.
  3. TrailJack

TrailJack Scout

I know of it, fished there but not in awhile, was not aware of the fire pits. What about chopping wood, etc.? Does sounds like we might have something though. Lot's of people walking around? Or is there some seclusion?

Pastor Chris likes this.
  4. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

There is dead wood everywhere and I have never encountered a problem chopping or sawing. I have done a few responsible ground fires there too without issue. I did much of Hardwoodsman there. It tends to be busy on weekends during the nice weather and during farm season in the autumn, but weekdays it is quiet. even when it is busy, the muggles stick to the trails and the near side of the park. Jake and I have always been able to find quiet areas when we want to. There is the occasional bear but that is not a problem. LOL.

I hadn't looked that far forward as far as weather. If it is going to be that nice I will probably bring a Tenkara rod and try to catch a black stonefly hatch.

5. TrailJack

TrailJack Scout

Shall we book it? I 'd like to meet some fellow BushcraftUSA folks and learn somethings from you guys. Where shall we meet and what time do you suggest?