1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

1/8 vs 5/32

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Erdbeereis, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Erdbeereis

Erdbeereis Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Which thickness do you guys prefer on your 3-4" bushcraft blades? Do you notice a major difference in cutting performance?

2. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    if all other dimensions are equal, the thinner steel will have a slightly narrower primary bevel, which means it should produce less drag when cutting.
    the narrower the blade, the more pronounced this difference will be. (you will notice the difference on a knife with a 1" blade height but probably not on one with a 1.5" or taller blade height)

that said, I have no problem with 1/8" thick steel but I tend to own more knives with 5/32" or 3/16" spines.

3. brutane

brutane Scout

Blog Posts:
    In a short knife I generally prefer thinner blades now. I used to think thicker meant better until I started to get better at skills and then the short thick blades proved to be harder to use and unnecessary. One would rarely baton with such a short blade and precision cuts are done best with a thin blade.

4. BigHat

BigHat Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    my personal preference is for thinner, shorter (2 1/2 - 3 inch) blades but my camp knives are typically used for food prep and carving. i use a hatchet a lot around camp for some of the tasks others use a knife for. not that there's anything wrong with a 3-4 inch, thicker blade. it just isn't what i use.

5. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a Turley Green river in 5/32 on the way now and have a BH 1/8 woodcrafter I doubt I can tell the differenc, if it pure batonning a 3/16 or more is probably better. Prefer convex edge regardless.

Larry

6. DCM

DCM The more I know the less I understand Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Currently my favorite thickness is 9/64", directly in between those thicknesses.

7. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Personally, convex edge, 5/32...scandi, 1/8

8. penetrator

penetrator Scout

Blog Posts:
    A thin knife will always outcut a thick one, and for a short knife, even a thin blade is robust enough. I've batoned my Mora 711 into knots that resulted in the blade bending in the shape of a banana where it followed the grain, and it returned perfectly straight and true with no damage.