1 year in a 2017 F150

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Pinelogcreek, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have been in my F150 for a year now and I have to say I have really enjoyed the truck. It is a Crew Cab XLT with the 5.o and FX4 package. I have not modified the truck other than adding a hard folding tonneau from Rugged Cover and a bedrug. The only issue I have is a slight whistle these the top of the drivers door in certain conditions that just can’t be found and stopped. The dealer thinks it’s the trailer tow mirrors causing tubulance. Lucky for me it’s not there all the time. I just drove 2450 miles in two weeks averaging 17.7 mpg. I love filling up and seeing 600 + miles to empty thanks to the 35 gallon tank. I have owned Nissan, Honda, Chevrolet, GMC, Dodge, Toyota and Jeep vehicles prior to this one and I am impressed so far. I hope to keep this one for the long term.

2. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad you like it and are getting good service out of it. I like my old F150, it's an '88 with 114000 miles on it. Only a new set of brake pads so far. joe

3. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I had a truck that made a whistle at high speeds. It was just poor fit and finish on the doors and could not be fixed. I like Fords F-150. Sounds like a keeper.

4. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    There are lots of old beaten and abused Fords on the road here. It's not uncommon to see one on the side of the road being wrenched on. But you will see that same truck on the road again. The older chevys usual have seen restoration work. If i set out to build my perfect work truck. The Ford inline 6 would be my choice. I've read you can get gobs of power with mods and they're very hard to kill.
    Cheers Jim

carpenter, Pharmer, fatcat55 and 3 others like this.
  5. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glad you're liking it. Think I know what you mean since I have a very basic 2017 F150 XL 4x4 and like it also. It does all I need and gets good MPG. I'd still be running the road in my old 2001 with 220K but my son snagged it.

Pharmer, central joe and fatcat55 like this.
  6. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    This one will have the same fate in six years when mine gets it. I do miss my rubber floor and vinyl seats from my last Chevy. I don’t miss the manual windows and locks.

Pharmer and central joe like this.
  7. Saddleburr

Saddleburr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just pretend it is turbo whistle and smile.

8. Mikewood

Mikewood Guide

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations on getting a truck you like.

As for the whistle you might look into a mechanics stethoscope. It can help you pinpoint the whistle as you are driving down the road. Usuallly it’s the doors. My explorer driver’s door squeals also and was fixed with weather stripping.

Pinelogcreek and Pharmer like this.
  9. Mikewood

Mikewood Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lol, Made me dig this one out.

Pinelogcreek, Swampdog and Pharmer like this.
  10. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I drive an an 04 xtra cab, with the 5.4 v8. It's a great truck, comfortable, nice to drive, good power, been dependable, reasonable mileage. Mines got 140,000.

Pinelogcreek and Pharmer like this.
  11. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good deal. I have an 02 crew cab 4x4 with the 5.4. It's an extra vehicle that doesn't get much use other than hauling firewood and driving in bad weather. It has around 150,000 miles which isn't bad for the year. It's not very fuel efficient, nothing like the newer ones.

I'd like to upgrade it as it's starting to rust etc. I'd like a diesel crew cab 4x4 but I'm holding off for now. I hate wasting money on vehicles.

Hope you have continued success with yours.

Pinelogcreek likes this.
  12. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a 2013 XLT ext. cab with the Ecoboost turbo engine. I usually get 19 mpg around town and up to 24 mpg on long trips. 54k miles and no problem so far . Just new tires and brakes. I put a Leer topper on it.

Bonekrakker and Pinelogcreek like this.
  13. drobs

drobs Guide

Blog Posts:
    My King Cab Nissan Frontier 4x4 gets 17 mpg.

I've been pricing used 2016 & 2017 Crew Cab F150's online for the past couple weeks. Think I will test drive each engine while home in July. I want 4x4, locking rear differential, and a fold down center front seat.

Leaning towards an Ecoboost V6. Figure it has the potential to get better gas mileage.

Watching reviews on youtube, the 5.0 with an exhaust upgrade sounds really good.

14. mcblade

mcblade Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do you have vent shades on your front doors they are made by bug deflector that might change the airflow enough to get rid of the whistle and you can leave the window open a little in the rain. Just a thought I have on my 13 STX and I love em.

Pinelogcreek likes this.
  15. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    No I don’t but I may try them just for that reason, thanks.

16. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Look around for the video with Ford Mechanic recommendations on motors it’s very interesting. Helped me choose the 5.0 over the others.

drobs likes this.
  17. Bonekrakker

Bonekrakker Not a chiropractor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got a 2017 f150 xlt 4x4 with the 3.5L EcoBoost and extended range tank. This is the first non-Toyota vehicle I've ever owned. I LOVE the gas mileage. Getting right at 21 mpg if not towing anything. This gives me right around 700 miles on a tank of gas. More hp than my old Tundra with better gas mileage.

However, I had to have the torque converter replaced at less than 20k miles. Under warranty, but doesn't inspire confidence.

drobs, RavenLoon and Pinelogcreek like this.
  18. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love my 2015 F250. Long bed, extended cab, bigass 6.2 L V8 gas engine 4x4. This truck is always dragging or carrying a load and it eats a lot of gas. But it's comfy, plenty of trailer pulling power, and very reliable so far (65K mi) and can go anywhere. I really like the 6 speed automatic transmission it has, too. I need the hauling power and sure didn't want a diesel, with all its expense and complications. The big V8 does a good job for me.

upload_2018-7-13_21-9-4.jpeg

upload_2018-7-13_21-10-2.jpeg

Pinelogcreek and RavenLoon like this.
  19. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Re finding a noise... you might try having someone else drive while you take a short piece of garden hose, put one end to your ear and move the other end around the doors and windows listening for the loudest sound. This may help you find the source of the noise. Then how to fix it is another thing, but at least you know where to look for the problem.

Pinelogcreek likes this.
  20. tch1718a

tch1718a Scout

Blog Posts:
    My 01 f150 xlt 4x4 with the 5.4 is still running strong at 243000 miles. Had the intake replaced at 220k miles. No other major repairs. Routine maintenance, oil,tires, ball joints etc.

I've had it from Tennessee to Quebec, Miami, Portland Oregon, San Diego and would not think twice about leaving now for any place in North America.

She only gets about 13 mpg, so I'm gentle on the throttle. But she has been as faithful as a good dog.

I think you will have a nice long relation with your new one with minimal effort.

Pinelogcreek likes this.
  21. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love the new fords. I like the big ecoboist

My friend had a truck that whistled like that. It was making him crazy. I put blue tape around his door to seal the gap. We went for a drive and no noise. The dealer accepted out test and changed the seal. The whistle was gone