10 lb. winter survival challenge

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by jswi2374, Nov 8, 2018.

1. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Anyone interested in trying this with me come January?
    Select 10 lbs of gear that will help you survive a freezing night outside. That 10 lbs. includes any food and water you bring in. EDC and normal clothing not counted towards the weight limit.
    This challenge has kicked my butt for the last 3 years. 2019 might be the year gear, health, and weather come together for me and anyone else.

Edit .
    January 12-13; John Bryan State Park; please pitch in a few $ for the campsite
    Hammocks are fine so long as you don't hurt the tree.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  2. WonderingWoodsman

WonderingWoodsman Scout

Hmm sounds like a fun challenge depending on how bad the weather is. Super shelter is the way to go for sure. Food and water kept to just what's needed to save weight. Fire starter and wood gathering tools seem to be the most important. Unfortunately my schedule is completely backwards from everyone else's and my off days are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday so I can never make any of the meets.

3. hlydon

hlydon Guide

I’m game as long as there is water or snow around. Hydration would be the only difficult part.

I’d make sure to wear appropriate clothing and bring cold weather sleeping bag.

bacpacjac, jswi2374 and Guttersnipe like this.
  4. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

It would be my thinking that a snowmobile suit, warm, dry mittens, and warm boots could easily take the place of any shelter. That would leave 10 lbs for fluff. Realistically, itdoesn’t seem all that hard. Experience tells me that is the gear I would want to start with.

5. jswi2374

Normal clothes. Not snowmobile suits.

I have gone to a place near a natural spring in years past. 100% clean water just bubbling up out of the ground. Of course, the winds were awful and I nearly froze to death...

6. MohaveGreen

MohaveGreen Guide

That's really interesting. I may take a run at it in Georgia. I definitely agree on the super shelter. Almost a "cheat" in itself if it's done right. I tend to run pretty light, but 10 lbs is really not much especially in 32° or below.

7. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

I'm interested... might fit with some other trip I was thinking about this winter. Would like to go to the snow for it though.

:38:

8. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Aren't snowmobile suits normal clothing in freezing temps??

bacpacjac, MOWoodsmn, LarryB and 8 others like this.
  9. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

That was my thinking, too.

bacpacjac, LarryB, MOWoodsmn and 7 others like this.
  10. hlydon

hlydon Guide

I was assuming insulated coveralls didn’t count toward the 10 lbs. I guess I need to read the official rules.

11. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Same here...

12. WILL

WILL Guide

I can't stand the guy in that video. Anyhow, down sleeping bag, pad & sheet of clear visqueen. Done.

13. MohaveGreen

MohaveGreen Guide

Gotta watch the video for rules/context. "Normal" being what you would typically be wearing driving around in the winter, for example, and not as though you were intending to spend the night in the woods. So think long pants, long sleeves, coat, probably not wool socks or winter hiking boots, etc. You can have your EDC.

I think the idea is to make you think creatively about what would be the minimum you would need, and conversely what would be great or just advantageous to have, in such a situation. Also to test your skills a little bit and learn from your experience, all with an eye toward building or fine tuning your other kits.

The vid encourages you to have a "tap out" kit in the event you hit your breaking point and your 10 lb kit isn't cutting it. So by all means, bring the snowmobile suit and stash it in your heated tent or trailer next to your winter bag containing your favorite warm body to curl up with when things get a little too frosty in your lean to. :dblthumb:

14. jswi2374

The official contest is over. Do whatever you want. The original idea, however, was just about what Mohave describes. You are doing errands on a Saturday afternoon and your car breaks down / a blizzard hits / zombies / martial law / whatever. You need to spend a night out unexpectedly. You have only what you were wearing, carrying, and 10 lbs. of stuff you stashed in your car.
    Very similar to the "Live out of your PSK for 24 hours" Bushclass lesson. Just less time and more cold.

He lives about an hour from me and we were becoming friends years ago. Then his YouTube channel became the priority. He became a professional shill for bushcraft gear companies.

15. hlydon

hlydon Guide

@jswi2374

Do you want to list the rules and set a date and location? I’ll join you. I can do 10 lbs.

bacpacjac and Guillaume Longval like this.
  16. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

If that's the scenario, it's really no challenge at all. I drive a Suburban that has an air mattress, sleeping bag, food, heat in several forms, ect. The only reason for me to leave the vehicle would be to go to the bathroom.

17. jswi2374

:18: Yeah, I think the idea was to leave your vehicle with your clothes, edc and 10 lbs. and survive in the open.
    In real life, a person should almost never leave the heat and shelter a vehicle provides.

This all springs from a conversation I was having with @dadman over the summer. We got talking about how it would be (was) a struggle for one person (me) to spend a night out alone in extreme conditions with 10 lbs. of stuff BUT two people with 20 lbs. would have an easier time. Three or more people would need less than 10 lbs. / person to be okay. Especially if the gear was coordinated to avoid redundancies. Survival is about manpower, motivation and skill more than gear.

Rules are why I enjoy the woods and hanging out with bushcrafters so much. I like getting away from laws, rules, and the mentality that accompanies them. That said....
    THE RULES (bumm bumm bummmmmm)
    1. Don't put yourself at serious risk of dying or suffering major injury.
    2. Don't put others in serious risk of dying or suffering major injury, either through your actions or inaction.
    3. Wear normal out-and-about clothing for January. Dress as if you are going grocery shopping or to Wal Mart..... ummm…. no, don't dress like a Wal Mart shopper!
    walmart.jpg
    Honor system here as no one knows what you normally wear. Cheating only cheats yourself.
    4. Carry your regular, around town, EDC. Honor system again...
    5. Pack 10 pounds of other gear. This weight includes everything: food, water, the bag itself, everything.
    6. Coordinate with the other people going to ensure the best possibility of personal and group success.

Date-- January 12th through 13th.
    Place-- SW Ohio somewhere. Open to ideas. Must have parking, water and fuel available on site. Ceaser Creek is a possibility.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  18. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Heck-fire yeah!
    Four of us could go and each bring a pound of bacon!
    I'll bring a tarp big enough for four, couple of 55 gal. trash bags, my sleeping bag & mat, and Fiskars small ax.
    That, my EDC, and the clothes on my back, I think I'd be pretty well off. :59:

19. jswi2374

YES! That's the kind of thinking @dadman and I were thinking. And bacon. Lots of bacon. :)

20. lopie

lopie Scout

I think the idea here is that over-night would be significantly colder than the day. Sof if you're snowmobile suit is good for 20*F, maybe overnight is -15*F? So if you're wearing a snowmobile suit, you still need a solution for the greater cold coming?

21. dadman

dadman Tracker

I’m in, I just bought a winter coat that an Alaskan would be proud of but I’ll get something more reasonable to the challenge. I think a huge take away from this, when we are done we will know exactly the kind of an emergency kit we could build to keep in our cars. I know I’m going to take what we learn on this trip and build kits for my kids and wife.

Like @jswi2374 said we can work together and have a great trip and it will be a huge learning experience !

22. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

I used to watch him very regularly, but it just got weirder, less informative, and more annoying. For a while, every other video was like an advertisement for Anker batteries.

23. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

You all are nuts. hehehe

Wiggy's sleeping bag, bottle of water, tarp, bag of beef jerky.

24. jswi2374

We've all seen how you pack. This might be a huge challenge for you. If you can manage 10 lbs. of gear, I don't think anyone will begrudge you a big coat!

This whole idea is more than a little nutty. Then again, your signature line says it well: "The dull should stay home. He will be mocked who cannot sit with sages." Men do strange things to challenge and prove themselves.

25. WILL

WILL Guide

Yup. To me he comes across as a snobbish, too cool for you guy who likes buying a bunch of stuff to "review." His reviews are just him playing with his latest toy in the woods for a day. Not informative at all.

Anyhow, I had this exact conversation with my cousin who lives in New Hampshire. She drives a rural stretch of road every day and knows I have some basic woods skills. She asked me to teach her to start a fire. No problem, I did. I also told her if she had concerns of being stranded in the woods in cold weather, knowing survival skills is great, but also have the equipment you need. I told her the first thing she needs to do is put a weather appropriate sleep system in her trunk. Then, for the most part, she won't have to worry about collecting materials, building a shelter, fire, etc. Just bundle up in the car until the emergency passes.

I've had the skills vs equipment debate before. I believe most situations can be resolved by bringing the equipment you need. Skills are important, but this thread is an example where folks can overthink and try to skill their way out of a situation that's easily solved with a sleeping bag and pad.

bacpacjac, LarryB, holygoat and 5 others like this.
  26. WY_Not

What? I'm under 10lbs with that loadout. It is only an overnighter. If it was a whole weekend, then the loadout would be much different. A lighter, a knife, and a multitool have been EDC for me for years. I always wear a coat appropriate to the weather. Have a big parka in the backseat of the car at the moment and a pair of Yaktrax and a GHB in the trunk good for 72hrs minimum.

Besides, I've met this bunch. My description is entirely accurate. :D

27. dadman

dadman Tracker

Couple of things about Cesar's creek, 1 no dispersed camping. 2 no place to put a hammock. I also think finding firewood with out cutting anything would be hard and your not suppose to do that there. Depending on where we setup at we wont have easy access to water. Somewhere in Wayne's we would have just about anywhere we want to go plus firewood but you cant drink the water. Normally this is where I would offer a solution but I really don't know of a good place where we can get all 3 things in one location. As for water if it is only 1 night I am not to concerned I can bring enough water under the 10 pound mark to survive on. For a whole weekend that would be a issue.

Anyone have any suggestions? For a Place

28. Kenneth

Kenneth Guide

I worked with a man once who said when he was in the Boy Scouts, their winter survival training equipment was only a knife, matches, a pot and a sleeping bag. That was it.

Now in all fairness his first job was installing telegraph wires for the railroad. Now that says something for the older generation.

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth

29. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Father, Husband, Patriot, Entrepreneur Supporter

Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine
    Hell, in Maine, it's ALREADY January this year! LOL

30. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

I wonder where he is located, as winter is relative. It's only fall here, but it is colder than many places in North America get in the dead of winter. January here is deadly cold, it is not uncommon to have temps in the -40's. I would probably go with a tube tent and as many blankets and garbage bags I could carry.

31. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Out driving around in Minnesota in January my normal clothes are long johns, coveralls, hat, gloves, winter boots. Even iI I am just going to the grocery store and then if I break down. I will walk the 2 miles home. When you live in the great white North,that's just how we roll.

32. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

I won't be able to participate but sounds like fun. The trick would be to have a good pad, sleeping bag, and bivy bag. Get to your site early and start a fire next to were you will be sleeping. As the ground thaws dig a trench and by bed time rake the coals into the trench and bury them. Set your shelter on top, such as the super shelter and build a fire outside of the shelter. Should be a cozy night.

bacpacjac and Guttersnipe like this.
  33. jswi2374

Sorry I've been gone so long, life got crazy.
    John Bryan State Park looks good to me. WNF is just too far and I've not been to jbsp in years. Its just south of I70, next to the town of Yellow Springs, between Columbus and Dayton.

34. hlydon

hlydon Guide

What dates?

35. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Friction Fire Addict

thats an interresting one... if i had more time on my hands i would come say hello...

in the mean time, im gona add a thing or two i forgot to replace in my car...:confused: , thanks for the reminder.

i think i would go with a small no pole tent (i have a design idea i play with in my nuts head), and heath it with a candle lantern. that , with a pad and 2 pairs of wool socks would allow me to get the winter boots off (they dont breathe, so you get cold anyways). and dry pair of socks makes so much difference on the moral...i would also put a wool sweather and long johns in the pack. worth its weight to me.

need to think about the food. :44:

jswi2374 likes this.
  36. Guillaume Longval

btw, i dont remember the lantern brand, but my sister used to camp late fall (in the 20s) and said it burns all night and got her small tent up to 60.

just looking for a excuse to try it :54:

37. jswi2374

January 12 -13
    Hammocks welcome.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  38. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Do we need to reserve a campsite?

39. WY_Not

Well crap. I'll be winter camping that weekend but on the other side of the state. Bunch of us from the Pout House and LTWK will be partaking in the 4th Annual January Campout that weekend. That is definitely NOT a 10 lb challenge. Pretty much everyone is loaded for bear regarding food, drink, and gear; we had a small (made from 100 lb propane tank) pellet stove and a disco ball in the main tent at the campout at the end of October this year. :D

Looking forward to the pics and trip reports from this adventure/challenge though. You guys stay warm and safe.

jswi2374 and Guillaume Longval like this.
  40. Guillaume Longval

if anyone is interrested, its the uco candle lantern, the one with 3 candles... you can boil a cup on top... in the tent... burns for 9 hours. 21oz.

WY_Not likes this.
  41. jswi2374

No, it's self register during the winter. We will likely be the only group there. I talked to their office and rules are pretty relaxed in the winter.

42. jswi2374

I'd be worried about CO build up. Tempting thought, though.

Guillaume Longval likes this.
  43. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

I’m in if GB Outdoor Axe counts as worn. I wear it to in a belt loop on all my outings. I wore it at the post office today.

44. Guillaume Longval

indeed , any modern tent made to avoid condensation is aerated quite enough. but my sister used a co2 alarm anyways. good reflex there, safety first.

jswi2374 likes this.
  45. jswi2374

Not sure anyone here would start an argument with a man who wears an axe to the post office! If you edc it, it doesn't count towards you 10 lbs.
    Welcome aboard⛺

BradGad likes this.
  46. jswi2374

Ok folks, I just scouted out John Bryan State Park and it looks good. It isn't wnf but for our purposes, it should work. Trees for the hammocks, downed logs for fuel, water, etc.
    Now is the time for a roll call. Get off the fence. January 12- 13. Who is in?

EDIT- looks like @hlydon , @Scotchmon , @Guttersnipe , @dadman , and @jswi2374 so far, right?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  47. dadman

dadman Tracker

I’m in

48. hlydon

hlydon Guide

I’m in.

I can bring plenty of fire wood for us if the park rules prohibit using wood found on property which I assume it does. Just say the word.

49. jswi2374

Not necessary, my friend. They say we are welcome to clean their park for them! Winter rules seem quite... Relaxed.

Winterhorse likes this.
  50. WildKirby

WildKirby Tinder Gatherer

Wow! really wish i could join you all on this one, but I would end up getting there late, and having to leave pretty early. Schedule gets a little tight sometimes.

Winterhorse and jswi2374 like this.