1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

11 year old found, a lesson in technology

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Mukluk, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Mukluk

Mukluk Scout

Blog Posts:
  2. Hoof

Hoof Former Genius Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The young man did the right things, and learned a good lesson. Good story

3. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great job and quick thinking. Glad to see one of these that didn't end in a tragedy

4. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    ^^^ +1

Mukluk, Haggis and Hoof like this.
  5. BalsamFur

BalsamFur BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The internet doesn't make people stupid, it just makes stupid people think they don't need to be smart.
    This kid was smart enough to make intelligent use of the technology he had on hand, rather than assuming just having the technology would solve his problems. I'll bet he'll always make sure his phone has a full charge from now on.

6. fx77

fx77 Scout

Blog Posts:
    So 2% short of battery power and freezing...better lucky than smart. :)

7. Swarvegorilla

Swarvegorilla Scout

Blog Posts:
    See thats why I have a Samsung. You are only seconds away from having a blazing fire :)

rsnurkle, dirtwheels, fire65 and 11 others like this.
  8. Sandcut

Sandcut 3% Neanderthal Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad that the boy is alright and had the sense to send his locatiin to his mom. That's some quick thinking.

But I'm going to take an "old man/get off my lawn" approach to this as to why I think the boy was lucky more than smart. Despite the good outcome, this still smacks of an over-reliance on technology.

Now I'm sure that anyone with an Iphone has had to "drop a pin" with their location for their spouse, parent, boy/girlfriend, etc. We've also used the GPS function on the phone to get to a location. So much so that people no longer have an actual mental image of where they are spatially on the planet. Despite my ranting an protestations, my kids are guilty of this to an extreme. When I ask for their location when they are at a friends house I don't get "left on Rt. 690 to third house on Greenbrier Ln." I get a text with location code that my phone can't read.

I know that parents and kids use this technique a LOT and it is a very useful tool. However, it teaches kids to go through life oblivious to their location. They have no sense of where they sit in relation to everything else. In this instance it worked out. What if the kid didn't have service? What if the cold sapped the last of his battery strength and he couldn't find his position? Would he have had the basic knowledge and the few basic skills necessary to, not only help himself once lost, but those necessary to be aware enough of his surroundings to have not gotten lost in the first place?

9. Mukluk

Mukluk Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree with everybody's responses; Sandcut has a great point which speaks to the changes that technology has brought. I think that a 'sense of direction' is something that is learned young, like a language. But people aren't watching where they go as much as they use to, focus is now on devices, not the scenery, or landmarks that may help you get your bearings. There are many more than 5 senses, and a sense of direction is one of them that we seem to be evolving away from.

rsnurkle, Sandcut, Hoof and 3 others like this.
  10. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use a GPS in my travels, but I also have old-fashion road maps in the glove box. I haven't been off a trail in the woods in decades. Not sure that I could find my way in the blind if I had to anymore.

The kid in the article needs an EDC kit that includes a Bic and a compass, but he did very well to use what he had available.

rsnurkle, Mukluk, Hoof and 1 other person like this.
  11. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Clever kid though, letting folk know where he was via what he had to work with, and having the clarity of thought, when lost, to think of doing so.

I've never had a "sense of direction", more a sense of where I am in relation to where big markers are: south of the road, north of the river, east of the ridge, west of big swamp sort of thing. A simple compass pointing north helps the directionally impaired such as myself, and my iPhone has a compass built in.

12. Nakadnu

Nakadnu OBSERVER Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It is good that this kid had the sense and know how to send his coordinates and thus saving his behind. I am glad that it turned out well. But this whole idea that seems to permeate the "old people scene" that these youngsters and there new technology are doomed to fail because they don't do things the way we used to do it or they spend too much time on their phones is a bit out of hand in my opinion.

I have to agree there are youngsters out there that waste away their existence doing nothing more than staring at a screen. But this is not so new and I personally do not see the majority of the newest generation being destroyed by smartphones. In my honest opinion I see them becoming more educated and prepared for the future workplace than I ever was. Also there is so much good and useful info on the internet that you could conceivably educate yourself in whatever field you desire.

When I was a kid it was all the youngsters were sitting on their behinds watching TV, getting soft and burning their brain cells.
    Then it was all the youngsters are wasting their time playing video games.
    Now it is all the youngsters are techno zombies doing nothing but taking selfies and chasing pokeman.

In this age we live in if you are a teenager you better learn and know how to use this new technology because it is being used in almost every facet of the workplace or will be very soon. It is our responsibility as parents or whatever type of mentor to make sure our kids know how to use this new fangled gear and use it responsibly.
    And, just as importantly, make sure they can function just as well without it.

rsnurkle, Mukluk, Haggis and 3 others like this.
  13. Terasec

Terasec Scout

Blog Posts:

I disagree
    Kid made use of tool available
    No different than any other tool

Mukluk, davidchagrin, Haggis and 3 others like this.
  14. Sandcut

Sandcut 3% Neanderthal Vendor

Blog Posts:

I understand your viewpoint and even agree in some regard. However, my thoughts are based on actually working with kids for 20+ years. It isn't a blanket statement about all kids, but there is a large number, if not a majority that do rely too much on technology. The FAA came up with the same results several years ago in a study about commercial pilots. The Navy noticed the same with Naval aviators and GPS vs. dead reckoning back in the 90s.

I'm not averse to technology in the least. I own two smart phones (one for home, one for work), I use a computer regularly for work, including ARCMap, and I just got a sub-meter, mapping grade GPS for work just before Christmas. I will use the heck out of it. But I also know how to shoot a traverse with a compass for those days when the satellites just don't want to cooperate or the GPS handset is glitchy.

It's not technology that is bad. It is the over-reliance on it that I was commenting on.

Now get off my lawn! :)

15. Nakadnu

Nakadnu OBSERVER Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That is the point I was trying to make while also going on a rant directed towards old geezer anti anything new cranky types.
    I don't want to give the impression that this was directed towards anyone in this thread because it was not.

It is simply my observation of the generation gap that exists in every generation. Every single bit of gear and every piece of knowledge was new at one time. And I imagine every older generation thought every younger generation was doomed because of it. Yet here we are discussing the pros and cons of tech vs skill over the latest technology. :44: (Ironic coffee cup is ironic.)

rsnurkle, Sandcut, Mukluk and 2 others like this.
  16. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I think the kid did a good job with what he had on hand, and with the knowledge he had. He may also now realize how dangerous it is to depend on something with batteries. It may be a lot easier to get him to pay attention to landmarks, the position of the sun, which direction the water is flowing, how to use a compass, how to make a fire, etc. now that he sees how close he came to being out in the cold woods all night with a dead phone. Or maybe he will just be more careful about keeping his phone charged up. Now it's up to his folks to make the best of this lesson.