110 conibear question

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Riley E, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:49 PM.

1. Riley E

Riley E Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys I have been wondering if someone could make a 110 out of titanium?

I know we have a diverse group here and didn’t know if someone has worked with it enough to know if it could hold up to the strain of metal hitting together etc.

I know it would cost more but it would be lighter as well. I don’t know if the weight saving would be enough to justify price or if there was another justification for using it in this fashion.

I tried to look it up on the web but it doesn’t seem like anyone has ever actually tried to build one.

Thank you in advance.

2. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That would be a spendy rig I think.
    The spring would still need to be steel even if the jaws were titanium, so that cuts into the weight savings a bunch too.

I've done some trapping but I'm no expert so take this for what it's worth, which may very well be absolutely nothing........
    110s are small, I bet around here I could catch everything that I can catch in a 110 with a roll of picture wire or twisted copper wire snare. Dry land sets anyway, might be able to snare a muskrat too I suppose, I guess, I don't know why not.

It's an interesting idea, but I doubt anyone will produce them though.
    Although I see plenty of other things made out of titanium that I see no use for too, so what do I know..........

Hey, welcome to BCUSA too!

3. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    I don’t have an answer to your question as to whether that could be done or not. Would certainly be a custom job as trap manufacturers and trappers both are looking for the best bang for the buck.

If you want a lighter trap, they make body grips that are smaller than the 110. #55 body grip is a good size for squirrels. It’s 3 1/2”x 4” vs the 4”x 4” of the 110.

There used to be some stainless steel 110s that were marketed to trappers for use in brackish and salt marshes.

4. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I have some 110’s that are many decades old, still are quite functional. It’d be difficult to justify ...

5. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think it would be far cheaper to replace a faulty 110, then to lay out the money on titanium traps

Riley E, central joe and Haggis like this.
  6. Riley E

Riley E Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the reply’s. I figured it would cost a bit but for BOB or long range hiking it would be an interesting experiment.

But no one wants to pay for a 20 dollar trap lol.

J. Pierce, JeffG and Haggis like this.
  7. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carry a 110 with me in the truck, just in case. and I found that using a USGI canteen cover is a perfect fit for it.

JeffG likes this.
  8. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Scout

Blog Posts:

My coyotes traps are $360.00 a dozen, and then I add about a $15 anchoring system to them, so a $20 trap is nothing. The weight issue your referring to on long range hikes is taken care by a device called a snare.

Offshore Angler

Lonewalker and Riley E like this.