12' Raingutter Section

Discussion in 'At the Workshop' started by Sawdustdave, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This past spring, on one of those warm, ice-melting days, a sheet of ice tore a 12' section of my roof's rain gutter off. I can't afford to have professionals replace it, and I have the old gutter and pieces/parts. So I'm enlisting my SIL, who's pretty good at this sort of thing, to help me re-attach it. Most of the hangers are still in place, and we're hoping to use 'em.

But...

My roof's overhang is different from the garage roof and my neighbors' houses. There, the soffits form a vertical, 90 degree "wall" which the gutters rest against. My old house has a nice "finished" look, suitable for a kitchen or living room ceiling. The roof itself hangs over the edge, while the soffit is about 4" from the roof's edge. So the gutters hang into the soffit at an angle. There's even a nice trim of crown molding between the overhang and the soffit walls.

So, I've made a template of the distance between where the gutter should hang and the soffit wall. Cutting out the angle of the molding, I have pieces about 4" wide and 5" tall. I'll attach these to the side of the soffit wall with stainless screws, and they should hold the gutter out from the house.

The whole operation is about 10' above the ground, so I'm not concerned with ladder work.

However, I've not done this stuff before, and although it seems straight-forward, is there anything I ought to be aware of before I mess things up?

Thanks!

JeffG likes this.
  2. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Can you throw a few pics at us? Sounds like you have a good plan going though.

JeffG likes this.
  3. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    gohammergo likes this.