Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by Wolfcri, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Wastelander Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Pastor Chris likes this.
  2. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    Hiya Wolfcri :)
    I'm not ready for a cold overnight and it's too far a drive for one day, but I might like to try that in the spring. I hope you post a trip report and let us know how it goes!

3. Wolfcri

Blog Posts:
    Will do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    When I was younger, it was called Lebanon State Forest, and you could still swim in Pakim Pond. Have fun.

Wolfcri likes this.
  5. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    thanks for the invite....I have family stuff this weekend .....

Bob.

Wolfcri likes this.
  6. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Can't make it this weekend, working on Saturday on the Island.

7. Ratdog

Ratdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    There are about 50-75 hammockers at Batona camp this weekend. You are welcome to join. There is a solid group of bushcrafty types that will be in attendance as well. Plenty of gear to share it desired. Dinner Sat for the price of a raffle ticket.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Pastor Chris and Wolfcri like this.
  8. Ratdog

Ratdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just a quick added note, I've been haunting the old Lebanon State Forest area for more than 40 years, been permit cutting firewood there since the 70's, hunting, fishing etc. Now Brendan Byrne, and I'm still getting used to that, there are plenty of great spots if you spend the time to hunt them up. Some really great spring fed cedar water brooks wander through the forest, stands of cedar and the like. The hiking trails are ok, but I prefer the old logging trails, fire break paths, game trails and the like. Pakim Pond is a nice visit, not nearly as crowded as it was in days gone by. The family campground has great facilities such as bathrooms, showers, washing machines etc. and it too isn't crowded much these days.

It is a popular hunting area, so heads up on the hunter safety orange.

Some folks find that forest kind of boring, not me. It links up to a couple of wildlife refuge and wilderness management areas if you are willing to wander the back roads a little bit and there's plenty of history if that's your gig. Yes, you can hear the highway at night, well, ok, most of the time. But the campfire and whippoorwills can make it worthwhile.

If getting a little deeper into the woods is your thing, Wharton has loads of options but often loads of people as well. Especially during the summer. As an example, it's not unusual for Bodine Field to fill up w/ just over 200 guests on the paperwork and there's always a few more than the paperwork shows. But venture back to Hawkins or some of the other camps and you can get away from the crowds. You might hear Atco on the race nights but then ends by 11. Wharton does offer something Brendan Byrne doesn't and that's the water. Many of the campsites are along a river, brook or creek. Lower Forge, Mullica River even Batona camp. Most of them have a water pump and pit toilets.

This particular weekend there is a "hang" going on. It will be a mix of good folks. But in that mix you will find a few hardy souls that love Winter camping, paddle the rivers several times a year for campouts, plenty of woodsy type skills being worked from flint and steel, natural tinder, fresh game cooking, fishing for pickerel if you are so inclined, night hikes, day hikes, tomahawks and knives being launched at biscuits (the log type, not food), some ridiculously good eats. But more than that, you'll meet some like minded folks and it won't be too hard to spot them either. If that sized crowd isn't your thing, you can hike out to one of the more local camps from Batona, a few are doing that. So for sure this is a crossover group and I just wanted to extend the invite.

Myself, I'll be working on some dutch oven cooking, splicing up a few things and saw comparisons. My old stand by bow saw versus an Agawa Canyon folder w/ both the hardwood and general use blades, Corona pruning saw and a Silky. Those big curved blade saws, even though they only cut one direction, are truly impressive and I just need to do some more side by side stuff before dropping yet another $100 on some outdoor gear.

So drop by and say 'hey' if you feel like it. I'm easy to find or someone can point me out. Most know me or of me. There are a bunch of BCUSA members that will be in there, they just don't post much. I'll be with some nephews and a niece, training them up on general outdoors stuff and cutting them loose to throw sticks at each other and wander the woods. It's a 3 day thing, so we'll be around all weekend. Might be a bit of a drive for some, but it's worth it and for sure getting off the ground for sleeping is a nice option to have in your outdoor skill toolbox.

I'm off to load some wood on the trailer and throw some meat in the cooler. Time to get a prepping for the gathering.

Cheers
    -rd

9. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Is the Jersey Devil in hibernation yet for the season?

NJHeart2Heart and Wolfcri like this.
  10. Ratdog

Ratdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    No Sir.

And likely to make an appearance. :4:

MandrakeRoot and Wolfcri like this.
  11. Wolfcri

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Ascham

Ascham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow this jogs my memories been a long time since I was there.

Wolfcri likes this.
  13. Wolfcri

Blog Posts:
    I had a good trip. MrsWolf and Goblin came out and joined me on day 2-3. I visited Ratdog and the hammock crew down in Wharton too. Very cool group of people and Ratdog knows his stuff when it comes to hammocks.

2jka and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  14. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    So glad you had a good trip and enjoyed meeting up with that hammock crew :)

2jka and Wolfcri like this.
  15. StomperNJ

StomperNJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love Lebanon (Ugh.....Brendan Byrne, I guess). I grew up camping there with my Dad and I still try to get out there at least once a week.