1st time sleeping on the ground last night!

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by Syntria, Sep 16, 2018.

?

How many hours do you sleep when camping on average? (without interruption or pee breaks)

1. 1-2 hours

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. 3-4 hours

18 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. 4-6 hours

18 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. 6+ hours / full nights rest

24 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Syntria

Syntria Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Morning!

Exciting outing for me. I'm going to be starting back up on Bushcraft II soon. I was out on the back side of a 80 acre rescue ranch not far from my house. I'll be making a bushcraft site out there as well, with full permission in exchange for volunteering with care taking the animals. I have experience cleaning horse frogs/green breaking horses, etc.

Night started out great. Was with my camping pal Alan, I forget his name on here but he's a lurker on BCUSA. I've gone out with him about 6 times now, met him once in a national forest at 2am 4 hours out from my home, 1 hour driving without cell phone service. That's how much I trust this camping pal of mine.

We had some heavy rain with half the sky clear and sun out, which felt amazing because it was pushing 85F. That cut the temperature down quick but made the night sickeningly sticky/humid. We set up a tarp over a picnic table that was out there, but otherwise it was full primitive. We made a fire ring and dug out about a 2ft wide by half a foot deep hole. Property owner has given us permission to develop tidily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ranch hand who's also my personal handy man, Morgan, came down and played the Mandolin/Guitar for us for about an hour before a last night cap and heading out and telling us good night.

[​IMG]

I popped into my hammock and slammed down on the ground. RIP $150 Dream Dorian Hammock. (As a new home owner I can't afford to buy any new gear lol) I believe I had to short of a hang and the suspension straps weren't able to take any tension off. It also had a few micro rips so one of them went RIIIIIIP. I'm also chubby, lol.

[​IMG]

upload_2018-9-16_11-13-26.png

Anyways, I was considering calling it quits and flaking on Alan and heading home since I lived so close. It was now around 1am. Decided to tough it out. I was going to sleep on my 3/4th pad and cover the dirt with the reminents of my hammock as a moisture barrier by the fire. After an hour being a firebug I decided I needed to set up a shelter with one of the tarps I brought (car camping effectively). Than I saw I had chucked my Pup tent in the trunk and decided to give it a go. 2am, in the dark, have never even unraveled this pup tent since I bought it at a military surplus place. It was pretty straight forward, and I have to say, I'm impressed and I'm in love with canvas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slept maybe 4 solid hours, thanks to Alan who noticed I didn't have a full pad at 3am and went and got me a spare he had. Over all, best (though only) time I've ever had sleeping on the ground.

Thanks for reading! I'm going to try to start posting my trip reports on http://www.synsurvival.com as well as well as a directory of bushcraft style camping locations I know of or can get people permission to use.​

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  2. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    More pics of the area/adventure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Good job adapting and overcoming!

4. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Human nature is to take the easiest course in an unfamiliar environment, and if there is a bail out we tend to take it.
    I recently watched "Out of the Wild" a test of endurance for some newbies having only taken a survival course . If things got tough all some on had to do is press their panic button and get a ride out . many off them did.
    Those you thought might be good, failed . those with something to prove made it.
    If you grew up doing this stuff its not so bad, but coming from the city I can understand that a totally foreign environment might prove daunting.
    I met a girl in her 20s never will go camping and she works in a camping and climbing store .
    In the mountains it's dryer so sleeping with just a bag is fine , but here in wine country it is heavy dew in the AM so it's important to have at least a tarp over head. doesn't need to be a tent .
    The fun is remembering the mistakes you made previously and doing better the next time . Each time you get better .
    Growing up I wanted to toughen my self up and endure , and it paid off later in life .
    I had something to prove.

45jack, Skruffy, MrFixIt and 8 others like this.
  5. woodsmanjohn

woodsmanjohn Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    That's cool Syntria it's nice to have a more permanent camp. Sounds like you have a great place to practice. When I was a kid we use to pile up pine straw and sleep on top of it with wool blankets or sleeping bags. Pine straw for insulation as well as some padding. We would just make mounds about two and a half foot maybe three feet in height during the winter months with a tarp cover overhead. We have allot of pine thickets down this way. I did this a few times early though and got ate up with chiggers. But I'll normally get about 5 - 6 hours of sleep. You could use a contractors grade garbage bag and fill it with debris as well. I carry a closed cell and inflatable pad now though.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  6. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you addd garlic to your diet the critters will avoid you .

7. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad you could try something new and oddly, struggle a bit with it. Getting a great nights sleep on the ground is a bit of an art.... depending on where you camp.

I enjoy two 4-5 hour sleeps split by a bathroom break whenever I camp. Good to always have options for different locations and times of year. :)

8. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    What, no injuries? That might be a first!

Did you wake up with any creepy crawly bed fellows?

9. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    You may already know this Syntria, but there's a little trick to sleeping on the ground that makes life a little more comfortable. Unless you are using a very thick mattress or super expensive sleeping pad, it helps if you make just a slight depression in the ground just about where your hips will be when you lay down. It works with inflatable sleeping pads too, because they conform to the shape of the ground.
    Just a slight scrape, a couple of inches deep or less under the ground sheet/tent floor does the trick. Not too deep otherwise it will feel as if you are sleeping in a crater..You will get to know how big/deep after a couple of experiments.
    Leaf litter or natural materials are fine in an emergency for mattress but the drawback is they come with their own wildlife creepy crawly population.
    I'm at the very least three times+ older than you and the trick works for my creaky bones..:18: :dblthumb:

dan1el, Lichen, Paul Foreman and 8 others like this.
  10. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Mosquito's and got an ant bite, lol. I did get a very shallow none bleeding scrap from some old barbed wire on the side of my leg. I cleaned it up. I won't get tetnus from that will I? lol.

Skruffy, MrFixIt, M.Hatfield and 3 others like this.
  11. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Also my back's pretty sore from falling 4+ feet out of my hammock onto my ass.

wildbill50, Skruffy, MrFixIt and 5 others like this.
  12. DKR

DKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Putting up a milsurp pup tent int he dark? Epic story.

I don't sleep on the ground any more, tho I still use a tent.....

[​IMG]
    like this one. The best part, this tent has a heater with a thermostat!

Thanks for sharing your adventure, brings back memories of my time spent "camping" with the Army.... And why I now use a new kind of tent

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    45jack, Skruffy, ezra45 and 7 others like this.
  13. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:

Plantain is very good for those dirty, scrapey type abrasions. It has "drawing" properties and is a powerful blood purifier. That why it is so good to use on bites and stings.

Do a search. I've written a lot about it.

14. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    6FA54888-15B9-4D00-8D24-0C0D92E3686F.jpeg

Mazel tov!

15. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Sweet trip. Sorry about the fall though, but looks all worked out good in the end. :)

Skruffy, MrFixIt and Syntria like this.
  16. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Hammock breakage assessment and repairs.

It appears the zipper got cocked and took all the weight and caused a rip between the zipper (stretched metal bits) and than into the loopy part of the end of the hammock. I further caused damage by cutting one end so I could use it as a blanket that night.

This is after I got the zippers chatting again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A large stretch of the bugnet broke away from the zipper because when that top part broke it caused the hammock to drop and tilt back and my weight ended up on the bugnet.

Also I have no knowledge of any types of 'proper' sewing, so I'm just winging it here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now i just need to create purse string pulls on either end and make sure they are tough/reinforced enough to run the heavy cordage through it that cinches either end closed. I could just make two knots but I'm going to try to use this as a learning experience lol.

wizard, MommaJ, Smokey Radley and 6 others like this.
  17. MJDavis

MJDavis Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My old skeeter beeter hammock has many of those bugnet and other tear repairs. Still works fine, I figure no one will see it at night while sleeping in it. :)

18. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice job on staying at camp. Thanks for sharing the TR!

Syntria, gohammergo and Skruffy like this.
  19. Skruffy

Skruffy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Way to hang in there! (or - not :eek:) What I mean is good for you sticking with it after the gear failure!! :dblthumb: Thanks for sharing your outing. :)

Syntria likes this.
  20. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    bummer about your hammock ...

Syntria likes this.
  21. smithj01

smithj01 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    nice add with the Pacifico!

Syntria likes this.
  22. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    Looks like you l learned some good stuff! What hammock was your friend using?

Syntria likes this.
  23. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    On the tip of my tongue but cant remember. I know it's a bridge hammock.

24. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Whoa you are 95?? P: Thanks for the tips!

Paul Foreman likes this.
  25. wizard

wizard Guide

Blog Posts:
    I one tried a hammock with the built in bug net and a zipper entry. Never felt secure in it. I use a hammock with a separate bug net now. A little more work to set up but you're likely to still be hanging in the morning. It is also less cost per piece if one item gets damaged. I pretty much use a tent, on the ground and a Thermarest matteress. I prefer a tent with a rainfly and ground sleeping to a hammock. I'm a side sleeper and it is more comfortable on the ground for my tastes.

Thanks for taking us on your outing, always good to hear of your adventures and your learning experiences. :)

NJHeart2Heart likes this.
  26. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    you get to a certain age, with sufficient miles, human years turn into dog years. i, for example, am only 67, about twice your age, if i'm guessing right, but my heart is, oh, about 104 ... :)

NJHeart2Heart and 45jack like this.
  27. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Always enjoy your posts

Syntria likes this.
  28. dan1el

dan1el Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ouch. Glad you're OK, @Syntria. But as it said, there's a first time for everything.
    Even if it's a first time sleeping on the ground :D

Syntria and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  29. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha. I'm not sure if I'm 33, 34, o r 35 at this poi nt. I don't pay attention, lol. <3

Paul Foreman likes this.
  30. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I considered that. I don't use the bug net in winter which is when I prefer to camp, though if it's cold sometimes it works as a slight wind block. I really do love dream hammocks and want to support them. Their owner contacted me personally to give me some options after mine broke.

I also like that mine has its own unique identifier # lol.

https://www.dreamhammock.com/RecentPhotos12.html

31. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    " Whoa you are 95?? P: Thanks for the tips! "

Not quite 95 ...But 75 next stop....[​IMG].........:D

Syntria likes this.