2 burner car camping stove recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by DavidEnoch, Jul 3, 2019.

1. DavidEnoch

DavidEnoch Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would like to buy a 2 burner stove for car/truck camping. I will just be cooking for two people. I am open to both liquid gas and propane stoves. I am hoping to find something used near me. Are certain models of Coleman stoves better than others? Are there other brands and models I should look for?

Thanks,
    David Enoch

2. whtshdwwz

whtshdwwz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Coleman Dual Fuel 2 burner stove....you can run it off unleaded fuel....lived off one for a year during my homeless phase.

3. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    agree with the recommendation for the coleman dual fuel

4. rescout

rescout Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1
    There are plenty of fine stoves but the white gas Coleman twin burner is a classic for a reason. They are worth the money retail, but if you haunt garage sales, craigslist, or pawn shops you can find a nice one cheap. The smaller version is the 425 (white gas) and 424 (dual fuel, meaning white gas or unleaded auto gasoline). The larger twin burner is the 413 (white gas) or 414 (dual fuel). I'm not a fan of auto gas for cooking but wouldn't pass up a good deal on any dual fuel. The 425 can take two pots about 10" in diameter at the same time, so if you think k you need more room look for a 414 size.

A few years ago I found the US Gov't manual for Anarctica service. They used only four types of liquid fuel stoves down there, and the Coleman 425 was the only twin burner.

Liquid fuel stoves and lanterns are still some of the very few items Coleman makes in the USA. I suspect the market is too small to offshore, but the demand in cold and rugged areas is enough to keep them in production. Propane starts to fail in freezing weather, and there are still enough hunters, campers, and off grid peoples in the Great North that need stoves and lanterns.

5. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    +1 on the Coleman dual fuel. The Coleman oven is a great accessory for one as well.

I baked a pizza in mine last year at the Dirt Time In TN meet. :4:
    IMG_7562.JPG

6. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Somewhere I still have a Coleman 2 burner gasoline stove. I also have and have used quite a bit, a propane adapter. Works well.

I found the stove in this picture at a yard sale last year. It has two regular burners and a ‘BBQ’ burner in the top. We made bacon and eggs and toast all at the same time. I have seen them on ebay too. It runs off a 1 pound bottles as well as 20 pounds with the adapter I found. All cast aluminum case too.

3B5710A2-4D62-4E92-AF1B-06B1274BAA8A.jpeg

7. Tdr

Tdr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Plus another for a 2 burner coleman,they have the pump seal kit hanging on the shelf at Walmart.
    I inherited a 2 burner propane stove and I quickly gave it away.
    It's one of the few pieces of camping gear that I haven't replaced

8. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  9. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've personally had to use " Propane " : Stoves, BBQ Grills & Lanterns ", due to the liquid fuels Ban, in almost the entire " CA " Camping areas ( Open Fire Bans ).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I haven't converted my two " Coleman Liquid Fuel Stoves " tooooo Propane....But, its on my list of things to do :33: :33:

yohan, xrayit, ParadigmShift and 11 others like this.
  10. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have 4 Coleman suitcase stoves and they are bulletproof. However, the dual fuel concept is a scam in my opinion. You can burn leaded fuel in any stove but it dramatically shortens the life of the generator tube (that long brass tube that goes from the fuel to to the burner). Once that is clogged up, you no longer have a stove. You can replace it or clean it but the stove will not effectively vaporize the liquid gasoline or naphtha until you do.

11. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I must have around 30 Coleman suitcase stoves, (mostly vintage stoves),,, all but one white gas burners... Absolutely great stoves, infinitely reparable...

As several folk mentioned above, get a Coleman dual fuel, then buy an LP gas adapter for it. Can’t get anymore dependable or much more versatile than that.

An LP stove will only burn LP, but a dual fuel, with an adapter, allows you the option of LP, white gas, or unleaded,,, Get a Coleman, and as the old folk used to say,,, You’ll be “Cooking with gas”...

12. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't recall ever seeing such unanimity regarding a product!

13. Ithica

Ithica Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use a Coleman Classic propane stove that is about $45 at Walmart. The igniter version is another $24. The website Wirecutter did a review of camp stoves last year and recommended this stove. When I was a kid we had a white gas Coleman stove. It worked great but is heavier, bulkier and a bit more bother.

14. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well, the vintage Coleman stoves just work. Give them a little attention occasionally and they last for ever. I still have my Coleman 225 stove with a matching lantern that I bought in 1970. Both function flawlessly. I bought the bigger 413 used about 10 years ago at a flea market. Still had fuel in it and fired up immediately. $15 well spent.

AdamD1776, BBizy, NevadaBlue and 5 others like this.
  15. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Coleman Duel Fuel for economy...Coleman propane for convenience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@DavidEnoch ... the ball is in your court!! :cool:

-John

16. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    Gee.... so many conflicting opinions.
    Tough to decide....

17. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    I love that oven attachment. So cool looking.

Paulyseggs, BBizy, NevadaBlue and 4 others like this.
  18. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I bought 2 propane Coleman stoves at yard sales for $10 each.
    Still have my Dads white gas Coleman also...

Pharmer, BBizy, NevadaBlue and 4 others like this.
  19. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
    As a side note. Use of Propane stoves with the small bottles is problematic in cold weather.

As the propane is used the bottle cools off ( blame Burnelli) and it is common to lose pressure.

An adapter hose allows use if the larger “ BBQ”grade tanks which rarely have problems when temps are above freezing.
    Again, good luck.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Paulyseggs, PERRO, NevadaBlue and 5 others like this.
  20. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I also got a Coleman 2 burner propane at a garage sale for next to nothing, ( wont light was the complaint)...took it home and cleaned the delivery pipes and it works great. Grew up with a white gas type but use a fuel stove so little the fuel level/storage/smell is just a pain. The propane is fast, easy, convenient, and safely stores forever. Great for vehicle camping IMHO.

Pharmer, MrFixIt, Haggis and 5 others like this.
  21. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I see them fairly often sitting out at yard sales and probably a few on Craigslist too. Hope you find a nice one.

AdamD1776, MrFixIt, Haggis and 5 others like this.
  22. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Coleman twin burner in May of 1972. I’m still useing it and will pass it down to my son. They are simple, reliable and rugged. Worth every penny.

aaronu, Pharmer, MrFixIt and 5 others like this.
  23. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree that you can't beat a Coleman suitcase stove for car camping (unless you want to try Dutch oven cooking). I have a 425 & a 413, both bought at yard sales for $15 each. (I have even used mine with a pressure canner, but that requires vigilance since it must be pumped up several times during the process.)
    About the recommendation above for a propane adapter.....
    That is the WRONG part. That part is the regulator for the Coleman propane stove.

You will need this part,
    https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-185-Propane-Converter/dp/B004RDQT92

It is available from various sources on line, prices within a couple $ regardless of where you go. (just watch out for shipping). You may also look in Academy if you have one near you. They sometimes have them in stock.
    The propane converter would also be handy during exteneded power outages (people have propane or NG staves in their homes across the country. It isn't an issue)

Pharmer, DKR, NevadaBlue and 5 others like this.
  24. slysir

Blog Posts:
    I use the stove on every camping trip. It works great but the only downside is temperature adjustment. You can't just set it and walk away, you have to monitor throughout the cooking process...especially baking.

-John

25. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    Can someone give a basic explanation of how the stove attachment works? (I have my guess, but am curious).

26. slysir

Blog Posts:
    It just sits over a burner. You adjust the burner flame to regulate temp. One of the nice features is that it folds up into a nice compact unit for transport and storage.

-John

27. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    It looks really great!

28. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Here’s a short video on the conversion,,, sounds far more involved than it is. Takes almost longer to say LP conversion than it does to hook it up. Also, other than the typical one pound fuel tanks, there are fittings made for the adapter to allow it to be, via a hose, connected to a #20 or larger LP tank.

aaronu, Pharmer, Paulyseggs and 10 others like this.
  29. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There's lots of love for the Coleman "suitcase" or "briefcase" style burner (and for good reason), but if you familiarize yourself with the model numbers, you'll eliminate a lot of confusion when doing your research.

The "standard" 425 series (red tank) has slightly smaller cook surface and ONLY operates on Coleman/white gas/naptha fuel. I found this model just as reliable, but the smaller cook surface made it difficult to use standard sized frying pans side-by-side. I didn't want to have to rebuy a bunch of cookware to fit.

The "Guide" 414 Powerhouse series (gray tank), has a larger cook surface, higher BTUs, and flexibility of dual fuel*. This is the version I purchased for myself 2 years ago, and would recommend whole-heartedly to anyone looking for a group-cooker. There's just no understating the reliability and peace of mind in having hot water/food in a moment's notice, with all wind guards built in.

https://www.coleman.com/dual-fuel-powerhouse-2-burner-stove/3000003655.html

* - While it can be used with unleaded gasoline, I stick to Coleman Fuel or Crown (offered as stove fuel at Walmart) to avoid issues.
    ** - If you DO happen to get a clogged generator tube from unleaded gas use, and a replacement isn't feasible, I've heard anecdotes that removing the tube and using a blowtorch to carbonize the blockage, and cleaning with a pipe cleaner will get you back and running. But again, I've not tried this myself. YMMV.

30. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Back when I was “too poor to pay attention”, and “lived in a house so small I had to go outside to change my mind”, I used a Coleman 2-burner full time, and burned unleaded gas, and cleaned the generators until the jets burned out.

Now I collect/hoard Coleman stoves and lanterns,,, the embarrassingly large numbers of generators needed means I’m still cleaning generators... lots of generators... and salvaging parts from worn-out generators...

31. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    When I went all in this year for car camping I bought a Camp Chef Covent Oven, 2 9000 btu top burners and a 5000 btu oven that actually bakes with no burning or fussing with temperature adjustments. Uses 1 pound and with adaptor 20 pound tanks, found I can do a weekend worth of cooking on a 1 pound tank. Only down side is this thing is big and somewhat heavy, its definitely a car (truck) camping stove. I will keep the two suitcase Colemans that I own as backups but don’t expect that I will be using them because the Camp chef oven is easier, less mess to deal with fuel and actually works better at temp control.

32. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    David, here are 2 models from Camp Chef. The larger one is the kind I have for my "mobile kitchen/chuckwagon" . When you said car camping this is what first came to mind. The 2nd is a smaller suitcase type but comes with the set up for 20 lb bottles. I also have the Coleman that uses the little green bottles but that does have the disadvantage of the bottle pooping out in the middle of cooking sometimes. ( That sucks for baking which is how I ended up with the big one. ;) )

image.jpeg

image.png

33. slysir

Blog Posts:
    I've considered getting a distribution tree. With 20# adapters you can run up to three units off the 20# tank. Stove, lantern, heater.

-John

aaronu, Pharmer, Beach Hiker and 4 others like this.
  34. zelph

zelph Guide

Blog Posts:
    Origo makes a two burner, burns denatured alcohol.... quiet stove :dblthumb: expensive but worth it.

Pharmer, P40, Beach Hiker and 3 others like this.
  35. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 Coleman 424 2burner duel fuel stoves.

I love them! I kinda look forward to power outages cause I get xtra playtime with them!

The propane conversion is intriguing. My wife is NOT comfortable with pumping and lighting the Colemans. But she does OK with propane. Be a good option for her if I'm not around. We already stock 1lb bottles for the Little Buddy Heater.

I could convert 1 stove to propane. Leave one liquid.

36. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I look forward to playing with my toys as well, I think most of us do... :)
    One thing to consider, the propane conversion isn't permanent. All you are doing is plugging in the propane generator (with bottle fitting attached) instead of the tank. If you want to use liquid fuel, just install the tank as normal...

37. slysir

Blog Posts:
    Why convert? Just buy a 2 burner propane. You can find used ones all over. This one was given to me. You can never have too many stoves!! ;)

[​IMG]

-John

38. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well, a few reasons.
    I have 2
    Not permanent
    I don't really need more stuff! (I think I have 12 stoves:33:)

Pharmer, Jeffa, Beach Hiker and 2 others like this.
  39. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I’d dare say using the Stansport LP Adapter and “converting” a Coleman dual fuel stove to LP takes less time than connecting a regular LP stove to its fuel source,,, similar to plugging in a toaster, and “converting” it back to dual fuel again takes as little time.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  40. DavidEnoch

DavidEnoch Scout

Blog Posts:
    What brand is the stove with both two burners plus the grill?
    David Enoch

Pharmer, Beach Hiker and NevadaBlue like this.
  41. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It is one of these: (I found it at a yard sale last year)

E928E897-9443-40F8-99CF-7996B43D9B9A.jpeg

A384D3A8-B97B-46E1-A501-213E4A9DBFF0.jpeg

42. DavidEnoch

DavidEnoch Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks

Beach Hiker and NevadaBlue like this.
  43. Noddy

Noddy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You might take a look at the Primus Firehole range :) Red, they are, and have different options

Also get a propane tree and link it to a 8lb gas bottle. Reverse the vehicle up to a picnic table, fling a tarp up over that. Then run a light, a heater and the stove off the tree. Sorted out.

Then go buy a decent-ish telescope and a fat armchair :):)

(Actually now I think about it, I haven't ever run the Firehole off the big bottle. Pretty sure I haven't).

I like those Mr Heater stove/heater things Bass Pro sell too. They flip over for different functions ... price has gone up a little on them the past couple of years. But that isn't what you are asking about ... it will definitely run off the big propane bottle though :).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  44. DavidEnoch

DavidEnoch Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks

45. Noddy

Noddy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Kovea do a good adaptor too ... if you end up looking for one

46. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Woodsman Wannabe and Beach Hiker like this.
  47. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've run a four-burner stove and a lamp from a rig like that. Never needed the heater, but it was nice to know I had that option.

Noddy likes this.
  48. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Another two thumbs up :dblthumb: for the Coleman suitcase styled stoves, not quite as compact as some Propane stoves, and they do require a short learning curve to learn how to get them started and working properly, but they are a never fail stove that requires very little maintenance and with a little basic care will last a lifetime or more.
    From the time I was old enough to remember I still have memories of being on picnics and at the beach with my parents back in the late '40's and into the '50's watching my Mom cooking over a Coleman Fuel 2 burner stove, skip ahead to the early '60's and the memory is changed to me and my own growing little family at the beach or on a camping trip (every other weekend in summer and fall) and the old Coleman 2 burner is still going strong.
    Skip ahead again to 1970 and we now have four kids and the old 2 burner is a little small so off to the hardware store for a new 3 burner Coleman stove and I picked up the folding oven as well, today the 3 burner is showing some age and a few minor battle scars but still working great, and has never needed to be repaired, all I ever done to it is keep it clean, use only Coleman fuel in it, and empty the fuel tank as soon as we're done with it and before it's stored away waiting for the next time it's needed.
    I also have two 2 burner Coleman stoves that were given to me because they "didn't work", they had been used with regular auto gas and the regulators had gotten plugged up, and one of them had fouled gas left in the tank that froze up the air valve at the base of the pump unit, after changing the generators and pumps in both stoves at a cost of about $20.00, and freeing up the frozen air valve both stoves are now running like new.
    Besides my Coleman fuel stoves I also have several 2 mantle lanterns, the oven, and three Heaters that all run on clean burning Coleman fuel, sure the fuel is expensive at about $12.00 a gallon on average, but they run so efficiently on the fuel that in the long run it's a lot less expensive than propane, yes it's a little bit more of a bother to get them going than propane stoves, but the range of heat adjustment is far greater in the Coleman stoves than it is in most propane stoves.
    Lastly, I keep a couple of gallons of fuel handy on a shelf next to the stoves (it's keeps indefinitely) and it's saved our bacon more than a few time when we've experienced power outages from snow storms or a hurricane.
    I really wouldn't trust any other stove to measure up to my old Colemans. :58:

49. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    David, you live in the heart of flea mkt country(in the south west)

several days each week offers different mkts

Canton(on 19 south of 20) and Weatherford(on Santa Fe south of bus 180) both have large mkts this weekend(the weekend preceding the 1st Monday of every month) called 1st Monday Trade Days

next weekend are Bowie(bus 287 on the south end of town) and Bonham(on bus 82 just west of down town)(weekend preceding the 2nd Monday of every month) called 2nd Monday Trade Days

after that comes McKinney(weekend preceding the 3rd Monday of each month) called 3rd Monday Trade Days(on 380 west of 75)

every weekend there is a mkt in Grand Prairie(between Davis & Jefferson west of loop 12)

every weekend there is one in Forest Hill on the south east corner of Ft Worth(inside the loop) on Old Mansfield Highway

every weekend on Sundays there is one in Denton(on 380 just east of town)

every weekend there is one on bus 67 east of down town Cleburne

on Tuesdays the Forest Hill / Old Mansfield Highway location has a mkt(just east of the corner @ Forest Hill n OMH)

on Wednesdays there is a mkt east of down town near the down town fire station on bus 67 in Cleburne

there are treasures to be found at all of these mkts though i seem to find the best deals at the smaller ones

stoves in working order can frequently be had beginning around $5 & ^

pristine stoves start around $15 & ^

while walking these mkts keep your eyes AND mind open

i like to walk the mkts and then turn around and walk them backwards

i always find stuff on the walk back that i didn't see going fwd

ALL kinds/types/styles/colours/sizes ... of pieces of kit can be found from tyme 2 tyme

and don't forget to look into boxes of rusty junque

axe n hatchet heads abound at flea mkts

knives of all types styles quality & prices ...

cook sets

the Weatherford & Wednesday Cleburne mkts usually have an old guy w/ a brown truck who specializes in WOODEN HANDLES

or you can order a brand new whatever suits your fancy shipped directly to your front door and pay retail + shipping

BON CHANCE

Pharmer, Woodsman Wannabe and Noddy like this.
  50. stillman

stillman Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    We have used one of these Coleman Fold-n-Go stoves on multiple long road trips in all sorts of weather. The most important feature was its relatively small size. Propane has its limitations but the biggest problem with this stove is its lack of a windscreen. We improvised two ways, based on how much wind there was. 1, I cut the bottoms out of two disposable aluminum pie pans and turned them upside down around the pot supports. 2, in heavy wind, we made a surround out of other stuff in the truck to block wind.

Over time, we moved to boil-in-bag for road trip cooking, using two Jet Boil stoves and vac bags. Camp cooking is usually over a campfire with cast iron.

I have an old suitcase Coleman and didn't know that the propane conversion existed. I think I'll have to look into trying it for ultimate flexibility.

Pharmer and Woodsman Wannabe like this.