1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Meat Pole-Show off your success.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by MT_Fin, Sep 30, 2016.

1. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I know we have a 2016 Deer Harvest thread, but i would be interested in seeing any and all success members here have, big game or small. I live in the west so if I'm successful this season I will have other animals than deer to post, so instead of derailing that thread I figured I would just start a seperate Meat Pole thread.

So grouse to moose, and everything in between, post up this years success!! And good luck!

Fin

Kdad, kyporter, Harpoon and 10 others like this.
  2. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    First grouse of the season

image.jpeg

3. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Good idea MT_Fin! I skipped archery for the first time this year so I'm still waiting for big game season. I've been doing some small game hunting though. I've posted these pics in other threads but here are some snowshoe hare and grouse taken this season. The revolver is a Ruger Single Six in 22lr. I also used my .54 cal Lyman GPR and .58 cal Cabelas Hawken with real black powder and patched round balls.

Snowshoe and a Grouse Single Six 004.JPG 54 cal GPR Snowshoes and Grouse 065.JPG 54 cal GPR Snowshoes and Grouse 081.JPG 54 cal GPR Snowshoes and Grouse 103.JPG 58 Cal Grouse 026.JPG 2016 Grouse Opening Day 032.JPG

4. MT_Fin

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, my schedule that last couple years limits my hunting activity so I have been foregoing bow season in favor to occasional grouse hunting days when time permits. Taking grouse with BP smoke poles is awesome, ill have to give that a try!

sierra-trekker and pab1 like this.
  5. possumjon

possumjon Scout

Blog Posts:
    20160916_102033.jpg My season so far! 20160922_174243.jpg

6. MT_Fin

Blog Posts:
    Nice! My son keeps begging me to shoot him a squirrel so we can eat it, but we only have tiny little ones here, except for in the cities. They frown on city squirrel hunting.......even in Montana

sierra-trekker and pab1 like this.
  7. pab1

Blog Posts:
    I've ate a lot of red/pine squirrels and they're very good! I'm sure you know most people in the state look down their nose at eating squirrels (and many other small game species). Like you, I only see fox squirrels in towns. I was in Kalispell recently and watched a big fox squirrel running around that dwarfed reds. I wish there was an area I could hunt fox or greys around here. The Montana Field Guide shows there are decent populations of fox squirrels in some areas but nothing close to me.

Here's a link showing their distribution.
    Eastern Fox Squirrel - Montana Field Guide

MT_Fin and sierra-trekker like this.
  8. MT_Fin

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, I'm in Missoula and according to the map there are some around but i never see any. I'm not opposed to eating the small ones, but the one I've been seeing since he started asking are like chipmunk sized. I agree, there seems to be a general distaste for eating of small non-game/unmanaged species in MT to include rabbits/hares etc. Lots of people shoot them but many don't eat them, i don't get it. Even jackrabbit is good if prepared the right way, especially if you only use the back straps. You should see the looks i get when people find out I've eaten stuff I've trapped (beaver, muskrat, raccoon, etc).

Ill be on the look out, i want to get one if for no other reason than some here look down on it :)

9. possumjon

possumjon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well I got this girl bowhunting today. Hit a little high and back but she never moved 20161002_081715.jpg

10. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Congrats Possumjon! Great shooting!

11. possumjon

possumjon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks pab1! You've sparked an interest for BP with me. Looking at getting a great plains pistol soon!

12. Nonc-Tobe

Nonc-Tobe I call it a black pot Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My buddy and I had a great opening day,I had my limit of 8 and a bonus rabbit by 9am,my buddy got 7. IMG_2544 (1).JPG

13. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Tobe, I gotta come hunt with you later this year...

14. NorthernOwl

NorthernOwl Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Only been out goose hunting so far with real good luck. 20160917_090619.jpg 20160904_093033.jpg 20160917_062327.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

15. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Here's a grouse and a snowshoe hare I took today using a .58 cal Cabelas Hawken. I used a .570 ball, .018 pillow ticking patch lubed with Bumblin' Bear Grease over 35 grains of black powder. I posted the details of this hunt under Trips and Expeditions.

.58 Cal Grouse Lunch and a Hare 056.JPG .58 Cal Grouse Lunch and a Hare 129.JPG

16. Nonc-Tobe

Blog Posts:
    We'll do it,let me know when its good for you

Seeker and MT_Fin like this.
  17. Nonc-Tobe

Blog Posts:
    IMG_0809.JPG I Didnt have to be to work 1st thing so I made another quick hunt this morning,The squirrels are very plentiful this year,but so are the fricken mosquitoes!!

18. Harpoon

Harpoon Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMG_0348.JPG Little squirrel action: IMG_0347.JPG

Attached Files:

19. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    MT_Fin and Harpoon like this.
  20. Harpoon

Harpoon Scout

Blog Posts:
    My dad bought that at a yard in '77,'78 sometime around there, I was 12 or 13 then and always seem till grab it whenever I want to do some quick hunting.
    So simple and it keeps on giving.

21. Nonc-Tobe

Blog Posts:
    A few more from this Saturday morning,I got 5 more or 4 1/2....LOL, the little grey on the end was pretty small but did not go to waste! My buddy missed 4 squirrel{I continued to remind him of this ALL DAY} but he did get the rabbit. We cooked these last night and had a great meal,nothing like fresh game that has not been frozen. IMG_2560.JPG

22. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Finally scored today. Been a strange year... hot as blazes, then it cooled down all nice a couple weeks ago for Primitive/black powder, then got all hot again... Opener of gun season was Saturday. Didn't go out til about 10 because of the full moon. Did the same thing today mostly because I was feeling lazy (and the aAlternate solunar "best time" was from 12:17pm to about 3 pm.) The sky was overcast, foggy, and while there was no rain forecast, it was just a hot, muggy, icky day. Later on, the sun came out and it got less humid.

So I'd set up a ground blind after yesterday's hunt... moved it about 200-300 yards south, still overlooking the low ground of a N/S creek that flows through the land I hunt. It's the same place I mentioned a couple weeks ago, where I'd been laying there hunting squirrels (well, reading, really), didn't bring my bow, and had a doe walk right up to me. So again, I'm laying there in a bush chair, camo net strung on a rope tied to the trees at my head and feet, but routed around another tree off to the side, giving me a nice little blind about 30" high. Wind is from the south, so it's in my favor the way I'm looking out over the drainage (and which is why I'm in that spot facing that way at all).

I was reading a book, looked up when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, and a buck is standing there. He jumps back, I whistle, he stops. I raise my rifle, he runs off, then stops (fatal mistake) next to a tree about 30 yards away. I aim, squeeze, and see him go flying off directly away from me. Then I notice another buck with him... seems to me that the other one was larger, but no matter. Meat is meat.

I waited about 15 minutes before I went after him, as I was pretty sure it was a good shot... sure was. Instead of the usual "blood trail", there was a "blood superhighway." As it turned out, I had put the bullet right into his "elbow", and I found it had been nicked later, when I skinned out his leg... the entry wound was huge (odd for a 7mm-08. You can see it in the picture), but apparently the bullet came apart, along with the bone, when it went in... the exit wound was actually smaller, but there were 3 holes in the hide, all small, probably from pieces of bullet. In any case, I normally eat the heart, and consider kidneys and liver "filters", which I won't eat. This time, the heart was pretty much gone... ripped the top right off, and the bottom was mostly that "hydrostatically-shocked" meat that surrounds the wound channel.

Anyway, he was 8 small points, poorly formed, with an underbite, roman nose, and not much size to him.... I initially guessed about 110 lbs, but judging by the ease with which I dragged him (mostly downhill though, but getting him down into and then back out of the 5' deep creek walls was a pain), he probably dressed out at about 65-75 lbs. Still made a cooler full of meat.

I drove to a convenience store, bought 4 bags of ice, packed one inside him, and two on him (in my trunk), and drove home, arriving there at about the hour mark from having shot him. Just after I got home, my neighbor pulled in, and my neighbor's 14 year old daughter saw him laying in the driveway. She came over and asked if she could help process him... Gotta love girls raised in the South... I really miss my daughter in college at times like this... Anyway, the new helper did fine, asked a ton of intelligent questions, and didn't freak out at all when I about cut the top of my left thumb off (yeah... the "Norlund Incident" thumb). I crossed my hands with a piece of meat in one and a knife in the other, and they got tangled up... She helped me dress it, I put a dishwashing glove on over it, and continued.

Took us about 2.5 hours to skin and quarter him, and later on I wrapped and froze the tenderloins and backstrap. The guy whose land it is will get one of the backstraps tomorrow at work. The rest of the meat will become stew meat and "snack sticks", but I take it to a local butcher to do all that.

Gave my helper the tail and showed her (and later her parents) how to salt and hopefully preserve it... they're not hunting people, but don't mind her interest.

I kept the antlers, sad little set that they are, the skin, the feets, and his rather unusually large scrotum... Not sure what's going to become what, but I'll figure something out.

And pics.
    Deer, 161016-1.jpg

23. Nonc-Tobe

Blog Posts:
    Congrats Seeker!! Nice buck and a great start to the season

MT_Fin and Seeker like this.
  24. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Three hunters, three tags, three shots, three pronghorn bucks now in the freezer. Below is mine. Will post more details tomorrow. Been a long week and the alarm will sound early in the morning.

IMG_0971.JPG

---------------------------------------------------

Edited to add details. Long version...

As you may remember from previous posts, my son, Joey, didn't go this year as he has started college. Missing a week of high school is not a big deal. Missing a week of college is a little different. So, he's out for the next 4 years or so. Oldest daughter, Abby, graduated from college this spring so she was able to go out with us again after a 4 year break. Made her 3rd trip out, Was my dad, my daughter, and myself.

We got there early Sunday morning. Hit Perkins for breakfast. Then the grocery for food for the week. Then Wal-Mart for our federal duck/game stamp. Out to the ranch to unload and assess the condition of the house and to unload gear. Been empty since last fall when we were there last. Coffee maker and toaster were still on the counter though. Quick sweeping of the floors and a good wipe down of counters and we got everything unloaded. Picture of the "primitive" living conditions. :18:

View attachment 328533

Next we headed out scout out the ranch and see what our prospects were for this year's hunt. Don't have any pics of that; Abby was using her phone to take pictures more than the camera. Saw a few potentials but it was late in the day, we were all beat after driving 24 hours straight, and we had all week yet.

Once back at the house I crashed and didn't wake up till early Monday. Dad and Abby played with a coyote/game call that he had borrowed from a trapper he knew. Evidently it worked. They managed to get one coyote to come in enough to see before it realized it had been tricked and beat feet. I'm told they then tried the locator setting and they had howls and yips all around them. So they quickly packed it up and came inside.

Monday we headed out to part of the ranch were we had seen a couple of prospective pronghorn bucks in a larger group of 20 or so pronghorn. Wasn't long before we found them. They weren't too flighty. Glassed the group for a few minutes then Abby got out and laid her rifle across the hood of the truck. She shot well; one shot and he dropped where he was standing. Ranged it with a range finder and it was right at 200 yards. She had a slow start on field dressing though. She thought she had sharpened her knife after the last hunt... it was slightly better than a butter knife. :34: She borrowed one of Dad's, an old Solingen that Grandpa picked up a LONG time ago. She didn't dance and squeal nearly as much this year as she did the last time. Mostly just complained about the smell. hehe

View attachment 328536

Once we had her antelope loaded into the back of the truck we headed out in search of the group again. Found them, glassed them a bit to find the next harvest. Got to within about 200 yards again. I got out and laid my rifle across the hood of the truck. They were a bit more skittish this time but not too crazy. Had to wait a couple of times as they trotted back and forth unsure of whether to run this way or that. The one I as trying to get in my cross-hairs kept stepping behind the ladies. Finally had a clear shot. He dropped where he stood. You already saw mine (above) and the glamor shot of the RWFred knife is in the RWFred Glamor Shots thread... so won't waste the forum's bandwidth uploading it again. Will gush a bit more on the blade he made though. Still think it is too pretty to get that messy but it cut and handled so well that it will definitely be my go to field dressing knife for many years to come. The kids will just have to duke it out to see who gets it when I'm gone.

It was early afternoon and getting warmer so we decided to run these two into town to the processor. When we got back it was starting to cool off a little and was still early enough that we headed out in search of number three for Dad. Found a group that wasn't too skittish and worked our way closer. Again got to within about 200 yards before we decided not to push our luck any further. These were a bit more skittish than the first group but finally Dad got a shot. His dropped where he stood and kicked a couple times and was done. Took him in to town and got back shortly after sunset. The "work" for the week was done and we were free to visit friends and relax for the rest of the week.

View attachment 328546

Tuesday morning was overcast and the temperature was dropping quickly as noon approached. We drove around the ranch scouting the various groups of mule deer and pronghorn and reminiscing about past years; so and so shot one in this draw, so and so chased one around this ridge before getting a shot, etc. Sometime around mid afternoon it started spitting snow flakes. Around dinner time it was snowing pretty good.

View attachment 328549

Woke up on Wednesday morning to about 2-1/2" of fresh snow. It was melted by lunch.

View attachment 328548

View attachment 328547

Saw quite a few mule deer this year. Probably going to see if Abby wants to try for one next year since they seem to be making a healthy comeback after getting hit hard by a cold winter a few years back.

On Thursday while cooking breakfast we even saw a bobcat in the cattails along the creek by the house. Dad got a good view of it but didn't get to the camera in time. I got to the window in time to see the back half and the stubby tail disappear into the tall grass. It was pretty big as far as bobcats go.

Later in the day on Thursday we did some maintenance and more clean up on the house. Least we could do for the privilege of getting to spend time out there and hunt.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  25. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Congrats guys!

Nonc-Tobe likes this.
  26. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    No joy in Mudville this week?

pab1 likes this.
  27. pab1

Blog Posts:
  28. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Should change the title. I almost didn't open this except it was in the hunting threads... Lol

I've been out two or three times so far and hit Nada. Squirrels around here suck and fox squirrels are endangered and illegal to hunt.

Rockgod1619 and pab1 like this.
  29. BayRat91

BayRat91 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Took out this little piggy right between the eyes at 125 yards. Took the back strap out for my son and brining it then going to slow smoke it.

IMG_0292.JPG

30. Rockgod1619

Rockgod1619 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha! I was a little concerned as well...

31. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My my sister lives in Missoula and there's some huge squirrels around here house. Huge problems as they make nests in eaves and are into everything. She traps them.

There's an good population on Orange st. right behind that grocery market you pass as you get into town. They are large critters.

32. Ceedub

Ceedub Guide

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG][​IMG]its been 6 years since i tagged out on big game here in idaho till this year. Good mule deer buck and a spike bull.

33. MT_Fin

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah, there are lots of big non-native fox squirrels here in town, but most forms of trapping and all forms of shooting are prohibited by city ordinance.

There are so many around U of M that there are numerous squirrel bite incidents each year due to their constant proximity to people. Lol

oldpinecricker likes this.
  34. weltondl

weltondl Sergeant of Marines Supporter

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    Nice little buck I got a couple of weeks ago with my crossbow out it the woods behind my house.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

35. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Them young bucks make good eating.

36. weltondl

weltondl Sergeant of Marines Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yup. Still have a doe tag. Going out tomorrow with my youngest son.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

37. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Great tradition to pass down. My daughter and son, mentioned in my post, are the fourth generation to be blessed to be able to go out to Wyoming each fall.

Nonc-Tobe, pab1 and weltondl like this.
  38. Southern Greenman

Southern Greenman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I got this little doe on my first morning of gun season ( Monday ) 20161024_104116.jpg

39. MT_Fin

Blog Posts:
    Tasty

pab1 likes this.
  40. Wilderness Spirit

Wilderness Spirit Scout Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    P1070233.JPG This mornings pheasant hunt.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  41. 55dougie

55dougie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Black squirrel and a hen turkey this week...... fullsizeoutput_817.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_813.jpeg

42. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Took a ride down to S.C. to harass the pigs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

43. MT_Fin

Blog Posts:
    That black squirrel is awesome!

I'm hoping to shoot my first called in spring turkey (vs fall rifle shot turkeys) next year. Nice job!

pab1 likes this.
  44. MT_Fin

Blog Posts:

45. Wilderness Spirit

Wilderness Spirit Scout Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:

46. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    W S, its a Northern Mist Classic 70"..Homemade Sitka Spruce arrows with Grizzly 3 blade heads.

47. Harpoon

Harpoon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Awesome pics all around! Quick hunt until the rain hit:
    IMG_0375.JPG

48. SlayerOfBunnies

SlayerOfBunnies Guide

Blog Posts:
    This thread needs more love. Here's one from today w/ a 77/357 (because - why not).

[​IMG]

49. Gruxxx

Gruxxx Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Some recent squirrel hunting with 'Ol Bess.
    [​IMG]

And with Little Ugly.
    [​IMG]

50. Dhusman

Dhusman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg The hunting gods were very kind to me during the Arkansas muzzleloading season