2017 BCUSA TN. Winter Bushcraft Meet- Feb 23rd through Feb 27th

Discussion in 'Events' started by T. Pollock, Oct 27, 2016.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hi guys, as some of you know I've hosted two fall meets here in southern middle TN. and especially this last one (Oct. 14-16) was huge success with a great turnout.
    The 2016 Second Annual (Fall) Dirt Time In TN Meet
    I'd like to host another meet for this winter, maybe sometime in Feb. to mid March. I'll tag everyone here in this thread from the previous contact list and if you guys would please let me know if you are interested and what time frame would work for you.

Thanks,
    Tim

PS. You don't need to be from TN to come to the meet! :dblthumb:
    At this last meet we had folks from Virginia, Alabama & Georgia along with the TN guys.

ETA: The Dates for the 2017 BCUSA Winter meet will be Feb. 23rd-27th

AirPirate - 1 - May be another with ne
    blind & lost - 1 - Coming from Florida, bringing some items to trade, and hopefully a brain to learn new stuff, also Zataran's fish fry.
    Bonekrakker - 2
    Broke - 2 - Me, my buddy, and my orange bushcraft saw...
    Chili - 1 - I'll be truckin' in from Texas. Can't wait!
    CoolBreeze135 - 1
    DCPugh - 1
    Fat Old Man - 1 - From SW Tennessee. Have bacon, will travel.
    fifthof9 - 1 - I'm very new to the community and bushcraft in general.
    Guy - 1 - I'll be bringing firearms and ammo
    hamanky - 1 - I'm bringing a truck load of stuff!
    hatteras4164 - 1 - From Ky.
    Hoof - 2 - and maybe our outlaw motorcycle gang
    isme - 2
    jason.williams.77985 - 1
    Keyser Söze - 1 - I only bring 1 knife
    nograveconcern - 1 - Counting the days
    Paul Foreman - 2
    ra2bach - 2
    Rowtag - 1 - Will be arriving late Friday afternoon.
    T. Pollock - 1 - I'll be there with bells on
    tennecedar - 1 - Hoping my car can hold all my crap.... YeeHaw!!!
    Tennessee - 1 - I'll be bringing 100 dollar bills and whiskey. ;)
    TN_Woodman - 1
    TStilwell - 1 - Looks like I'll make it. will have stuff for trade blanket.
    TX-1948 - 1 - I'll be there...with a firearm or two.
    wisdom - 1 - I plan on coming saturday (25th)

Total: 33

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Details Post:

I really don't have any "rules" for the meets I host, just common sense... be nice, stay safe, have fun!
    Here are some details from a list in the last meetup planning thread that might help with some questions some of you may have though.

What do I need to bring???

1. There will be a central fire pit for everyone to cook on if you choose.

2. Fishing is available as we'll be right on the Buffalo River and small game hunting will be allowed as well, as long as you have your license. You catch or kill it we'll cook it. :4:

3. Show & Tell with gear swap/trade/buy

4. God forbid we should need it but if anyone has health issues and perhaps to put your mind more at ease we'll be a short 15 minutes from the local hospital.

5. I've been asked about having a drink at the meet. I rarely ever drink and when I do it's only a single mixed drink before bed, that said I have no problem if others want to drink a beer or two while you're there or a bevarage before bed as long as it's kept within reason and you're not handling firearms while doing so. For those that don't drink and might have concerns, please know that if anyone starts to get out of hand with it that I'll have no issue whatsoever dealing with it. It will be kept safe and fun for everyone!

6. Please don't forget to bring your camp seats and an extra or two if you have one just in case anyone else forgets theirs.

7. If any of you have a weather resistant folding table you could bring it would be a great help.

8. Since the meet will be held on private property (my mother's land) to protect her and myself each participant will need to sign a liability release waiver when you arrive (unfortunate but necessary now days) and if you bring anyone under age the adult they come with will need to sign one for them as their responsible party. If any of you would like see or sign the waiver prior to the meet I'll be glad to email it to you.

Hopefully the link below will work if you'd like to see the release.
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attachments/my-release-of-liability-1-pdf.326940/

9. A shooting range will be set up for those that would like to shoot firearms and shooting will be allowed as long as it's during a time that myself or @tennecedar are able to supervise the range. Again as a reminder no one that has been drinking alcohol will be allowed to handle or shoot firearms as the two are a very dangerous combination, if you plan to shoot that day... don't drink until afterward. I don't mean to be rude or ugly about this but my top priority is to make sure everyone there is safe and has a great time!

10. Members Fat Old Man, tennecedar and TN_Woodman are all great guys and friends of mine and have been at all my meets. If you need anything while at the meet and I'm not available see any of these guys and they will be glad to help you with anything you need.

11. Please bring your cameras so we'll have plenty of photos of the meet to share on the forum. We need to show those that didn't make it how much fun they missed out on.

12. Saturday at noon will be our main range time.

13. I'll be doing a kuksa carving tutorial for those interested and will provide as many blanks as possible. Please let me know if you want to carve a kuksa and I'll add your name to the list below. Bring your carving tools, Bandaids :dblthumb:, and if you'd like a blank of your choosing.

14. The Trade Blanket/Swap Meet will be Saturday morning after coffee & breakfast. Of course anyone is welcome to do any one on one trading etc. you'd like the whole time you're there but this way we'll have an expected time for the main trading to take place.

15. Pets (dogs) I know some folks enjoy bringing there four legged friends to the woods with them. You can bring your pooch if you'd like but they will have to be tied up during cooking and eating times. I absolutely love dogs but I can't handle one begging food or trying to get into the food while food prep is going on.

Kuksa Carving List:
    1. Chili
    2. CoolBreeze135
    3. Tennessee (doesn't need a blank)
    4. DCPugh
    5. blind & lost
    6. Broke
    7. TStilwell

Hey guys, here is a list of everyone that has expressed interest in attending. If I've missed anyone please let me know and I'll add you to the list.
    I'll do my best to mark confirmed (plans to be there) on those that have already done so and if I don't have you marked confirmed and you'd like to do so just let me know. Also if I have mistakenly marked you confirmed and you haven't done so please let me know. I'll keep the list updated as I get more information but this is what I have at this point.
    Please forgive me if I've got any of this wrong guys, It's not easy to go back and try to figure out who said what. :3:

AirPirate - Confirmed
    armoredshoe
    battle.munky
    blind & lost - Confirmed
    Broke - Confirmed
    Chili - Confirmed
    Cohutta
    CoolBreeze135 - Confirmed
    DCPugh - Confirmed
    FarmerJohn
    Fat Old Man - Confirmed

fifthof9 - Confirmed
    Guy - Confirmed
    hamanky - Confirmed

hatteras4164 - Confirmed
    highlander
    Hoof & Jake - Confirmed
    isme - Confirmed
    jason.williams.77985 - Confirmed
    jeremyctry - Confirmed
    Keyser Söze - Confirmed
    lady beth 1968 - Confirmed
    MountainMan706
    nograveconcern
    oddjob35
    oldbow - Confirmed
    Pastor Chris
    Paul Foreman - Confirmed
    ra2bach - Confirmed
    Rammer
    Reyn Foreman - Confirmed
    Rowtag - Confirmed
    Saltybastard - Confirmed
    sidmand
    Son Of Fat Old Man - Confirmed
    smcguirt - Confirmed
    stillman - possible
    stumpjumper00 - Confirmed
    Subdood
    tennecedar - Confirmed
    Tennessee - Confirmed
    TN_Woodman - Confirmed
    T. Pollock - Confirmed
    TStilwell - Confirmed
    TX-1948 - Confirmed
    WestTnScout
    William (Reyn's BIL) - Confirmed
    Wisdom

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Broke, Guy, blind & lost and 5 others like this.
  3. Hoof

Hoof Guide

Blog Posts:
    Haha, if I have my wife living in our home again by then I'd love to make it *Good Lord willing*.
    I have so much to do but I need some fun so badly.

TN_Woodman and T. Pollock like this.
  4. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I understand completely brother, I'll pray everything goes well for you and hopefully you'll get to make this one. We all need some down time now and then.

Hoof likes this.
  5. DCPugh

DCPugh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    All heck yeah ya know I'm in for a winter meetup. Count me in, this time I'll take Thursday, Friday, and Monday off so I don't have to leave immediately Sunday morning

6. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah. With this much advance notice, I have a much better chance of making it. I really hope it works out this time!

T. Pollock and tennecedar like this.
  7. tennecedar

tennecedar Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Small game season is open until Feb 28th. It would be cool if a few of us could maybe hunt a few squirrels one morning. Make for a good lunch I thinks.

8. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You know I'm interested! How's Al with it? How did he do with the last one?

T. Pollock likes this.
  9. jeremyctry

jeremyctry Outdoorsman Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm interested if you would PM me with location details so I can start planning for how many days to take off and such.

T. Pollock likes this.
  10. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Awesome.

I hope so too bro, would love to meet ya.

That would be very cool to have some fresh meet to cook over the fire!

He's cool with the meets but I'll give ya more info privately bro. I may change the "camp" location due to accessibility and other issues but it will still be on the same property (all family owned) and "all the property" is available. We had 2 different guys drive all the way there but leave this last time due to accessibility issues so that's something I have to consider. Tennessee was a huge help shuffling guys and gear in but not having any communications at camp is another complication and I had no idea that the 2 that left were even there until after they had left. I just want to be sure everyone that would like to attend regardless of health conditions, not having a 4x4, etc. is able to do so.

ETA: The original campsite (where we've had all the meets so far) is actually on some adjoining property that we have rented. While I have permission from the owner to do whatever I'd like there, I'd be a little more comfortable if camp was on our land rather than what we have rented. Where we had the shooting range set up is approximately where the property line is.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Hoof and tennecedar like this.
  11. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Will do bro. As far as coordinates I may have to get one of the other guys to help me out with that since I know "0" about coordinates or how to obtain them. If I'm not mistaken @TN_Woodman posted some in the planning thread for the last meet, I'll see if I can find them for you.

TN_Woodman and Hoof like this.
  12. ridge rover

ridge rover Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You can add me to the list. Every week I have different days off as per my rotating schedule. I needs to do some ciphering into 2017!

13. Chili

Chili Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I will be planning to make the drive! Given the distance my preference would be to drive out Thursday arriving late afternoon so I would have all day Friday and Saturday leaving first thing Sunday morning.

tennecedar and T. Pollock like this.
  14. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Awesome!

15. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    The closest address guys (which is on the property) is 2 Barnesville Rd. Summertown, TN. 38483. I looked for the coordinates that someone had previously posted for one of the other meets but haven't been able to find them yet. If one of you guys that know how to get coordinates could look them up for me for the above address I'd greatly appreciate it.

16. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    If I did it right hopefully these coordinates are correct. If not someone please let me know. When I decide on the exact location of the meet whether it be the original campsite or a new one on the same property I'll let everyone know.
    GPS Coordinates.jpg

Subdood, Guy, Keyser Söze and 2 others like this.
  17. TN_Woodman

TN_Woodman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sorry Tim, I forgot to "watch" this thread and didn't see the notice about coordinates until just now. That looks like you did it right.

T. Pollock likes this.
  18. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    No worries bud, thanks for double checking me.

19. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Guys would it be best for you if I went ahead and set a date for the meet now, or wait until a little closer to time to have it before setting a date?
    Let me know your thoughts please.

I know some of you have odd work schedules and military schedules that you have to work around so please let me know what works for you. Since I'm disabled just about any date works for me so my objective is to set the date for whenever the most amount of folks can attend.

Thanks,
    Tim

20. Chili

Blog Posts:
    A date works better for me, mainly to put in for the time off (approval guaranteed, just to lock it in) and to ensure I don't make other plans for the same time. But I'm cool if majority is otherwise.

T. Pollock likes this.
  21. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the response bro.

Chili likes this.
  22. jeremyctry

jeremyctry Outdoorsman Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    setting the date is probably prudent I like to give plenty of notice when I'm taking time off.

T. Pollock likes this.
  23. Chili

Blog Posts:
    By the way, two offers regarding on site logistics: I have a 4 door jeep and am willing to shuttle people and gear. In addition, I can bring a radio to stash in a dry bag at the best 'car' parking spot and keep another at camp. This should avoid missing anyone.

[​IMG]

24. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Cool, If any date (Feb.- mid March) works better for any of you fellas please let me know.

ETA:
    "Deer season ends Jan 8th but Young Sportsman hunt is Jan 14 & 15."
    Any time after all the deer hunts are over is good for me.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  25. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bro, and super nice ride!!!

ETA: The radios are a great idea. I was going to do that at this last meet, unfortunately I didn't check mine until the last minute (they hadn't been used in a couple of years) and they were no longer operable.:8:

@tennecedar and I plan to get together sometime and do some scouting on the property. All of it is family owned and we can use any of it but if I can find a suitable place on the acreage that's mine we could do things like putting up a permanent shelter for future meets, do primitive shelters without the need to take them back down, better more permanent latrine setup, etc. "If" I choose a different spot for the base camp it would still only be a short walk to the river, the acreage that's mine just doesn't border the larger section of river unfortunately.

Chili likes this.
  26. Chili

Blog Posts:
    Anything but March 11 - 19 should work for me. That's our Spring Break and my wife is a teacher, so we usually do some type of family trip.

T. Pollock likes this.
  27. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Cool, thanks for letting me know brother. I'm hoping sometime in Feb will work for everyone.

Hoof likes this.
  28. hamanky

hamanky Scout Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The weekends of Feb 10-12 or Feb 24-26 would work for me. I would have loved to make the last one but had to much sickness at home, hopefully all that's behind us now.

T. Pollock and Tennessee like this.
  29. Cohutta

Cohutta Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tagged for more info and schedule.

T. Pollock likes this.
  30. DCPugh

Blog Posts:
    A date would work better for me so I could get the time off

T. Pollock likes this.
  31. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Sounds good guys. Hopefully the rest of the gang will chime in here soon with what will work for them so that I can go ahead and schedule a date. We're still better than 3 months out so surely everyone will have enough advanced notice for work. A few had mentioned doing more than 3 days (Fri - Sun) so let me know if that's something more of you are interested in.

Hoof likes this.
  32. DCPugh

Blog Posts:
    I'd definitely would do more than three days. If everyone else is in

tennecedar and T. Pollock like this.
  33. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Guys my memory is terrible after the accident that caused the narcolepsy so please correct me if I'm wrong. IIRC those that have already mentioned doing more than 3 days are:

@DCPugh
    @AirPirate
    @Keyser Söze

I'll add any further names that are interested and if we have several we'll see about doing that and what days would work. With the narc it's not safe for me to do solo... according to my wife at least. :3: If several are interested though that covers me in case some don't show up... hope that makes sense. :dblthumb:

blind & lost, Hoof and Keyser Söze like this.
  34. AirPirate

AirPirate Tortured Genius Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Schedule permitting I'm definitely in for more than three days.

T. Pollock likes this.
  35. DCPugh

Blog Posts:
    There's nothing keeping me from showing for more three days.

T. Pollock likes this.
  36. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys, sounds like a plan! :dblthumb:

37. Hoof

Hoof Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tim, how much pre-prep help could you use? A day? A few days?

T. Pollock likes this.
  38. DCPugh

Blog Posts:
    Just let me know and I can come down a day or two early and help also

T. Pollock likes this.
  39. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I'll have everything ready by the time of the meet, no work for my friends... only fun & fellowship in the woods. :dblthumb:

40. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    You guys are awesome!!!

Hoof likes this.
  41. battle.munky

battle.munky Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm in tentatively again. Hopefully work travel won't get in the way again.

T. Pollock likes this.
  42. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Hope you get to make this one bud, the last one was awesome and I have no doubt this one will be also.
    Ya just can't beat good friends and dirt time!

battle.munky and Hoof like this.
  43. Chili

Blog Posts:
    I'd be arriving Thursday, departing Sunday (3 nights).

T. Pollock likes this.
  44. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Cool, thanks brother. We may do something like Thursday through Monday (5 days), that way those that could get off work Thur or Fri could catch an extra day or two and then those that could only get off work Monday could catch an extra day.

DCPugh, Hoof and Chili like this.
  45. Chili

Blog Posts:
    Good idea!

T. Pollock likes this.
  46. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm gonna bring a ton of stuff for trade.... so bring yer stuff , is like close car campout easy to unload stuff , so bring yer stuff for trades , knives axes saws pots pans bows bags hats cats optics belt buckles crook knives firesteel cast iron etc

47. DCPugh

Blog Posts:
    I'll be there everyday that we have this thing and I will bring stuff to trade

Hoof, T. Pollock and Keyser Söze like this.
  48. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Load up yer trucks... load up yer wagons gentlemen, bring it all... me loves to see gear!!! :4: :dblthumb:

My only regret from the last meet was not being able to spend more time with each of you. I'm thankful and excited to be having another meet and to have a chance to spend more time with new friends!

49. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I can't begin to express how happy I am and how thankful I am that you all enjoyed the last meet so much!
    I greatly appreciate your friendships and that you fellas are willing to spend some woods time with me!!!

Thank you all very very much.
    T

50. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Tim,
    I would love to come and learn from everyone, not sure at this point if I can work it out, but put my name on the tentative list for now.

T. Pollock and Paul Foreman like this.