2018 A.T. Back-Packing trip

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by WILL, Jun 8, 2018.

1. WILL

WILL Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just got back yesterday from 5 days on the trail. My daughter and I hiked about 42 miles, Devil's Fork Gap to just north of Erwin Tennessee. It was a great trip. The best views were atop Big Bald. My daughter crashed for a while there....

IMG_1876.JPG
    IMG_1879.JPG
    Then we moved on to little bald, a flower covered mountain next door...
    IMG_1881.JPG
    There were a few other mountain views, but these were the best by far. I challenged myself to make our three meals a day over the fire. It was a success, taking about an additional 1/2 hour per meal to build the fire. Here you can see our approach to Big Bald....

IMG_1860.JPG
    Another new trick this year was moving away from chemicals to treat out water. My new 2 liter C-Noc bags and a Sawyer mini-filter gravity system worked fast and the water tasted great. As two of the water sources were very far from the shelter, this system was very appreciated.
    IMG_1864.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

Continued….

colter, Crusher0032, ra2bach and 15 others like this.
  2. WILL

WILL Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMG_1855.JPG
    I love being in the mountains. I enjoyed the views, spending time in nature, working in some outdoors skills, the physical and mental challenge, bonding with my daughter, fraternizing with other hikers at the shelter while enjoying a cigar and some whiskey and the grounding and reality check you get from being disconnected for a week. There's that, and a lot more to like about the experience. We spent time with quite a few through hikers. While I appreciate what they're trying to do, I couldn't help notice that the experience didn't seem as enjoyable to them, but was more like a mission they had to complete.

Anyhow, we changed up from mountain house meals to potato flakes with dried meat cut into it, dried rice packets with a chicken packet mixed in, oatmeal for breakfast and mac n cheese. Here's meal time...
    IMG_1906.JPG IMG_1907.JPG

Here we came across a spring bubbling right out of the ground. We just drank it right out of the ground like a water fountain...

IMG_1933.JPG

3. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice trip, how did the cnoc do?

isme and WILL like this.
  4. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great trip, there is something about the mountains. Couldn't imagine life without them. I'm hoping to do a loop later this month that will be a personal challenge. Doing a 5 day trip would be great. When the kids get a little older hopefully that will be a regular occurrence.

I don't worry about filtering springs at their source either. Found one that someone had dammed up a bit at the source. My neighbor dunked hist Smart water bottle directly in it.

Winterhorse, isme and WILL like this.
  5. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice report.

Was it the plan to go from just add water freeze dried meals to more preparing your own meals, or did it just work out that way?

6. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Oh just to add since this is your first time with the Sawyer. Back flush it then run some bleach water through it before shaking it out and letting it air dry. Then store it. I didn't used to use the bleach water on my old one. That might be part of why it slowed down so much. Or at least it seems slow compared to my new Squeeze. I did a splash (less than a cap full) in about a liter of water after my last trip.

7. WILL

WILL Scout

Blog Posts:

The main motivation was to save some money and try something different. I was happy to see our cheaper choices also had more calories. Enough so that we weren't always hungry like we've been on past trips. IMHO the flavors were also better. The down side was the new eating plan weighed more and clean-up was more involved since we cooking the food in our pots. All in all, we both agreed we would do it again and won't be going back to Mountain House.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Winterhorse and isme like this.
  8. TerBear

TerBear Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just did my first backpacking trip with my sons Boy Scout troop. We did all of our meals in freezer bags which kept us from having to clean anything. Boil the water, pour it in the bag, seal it up and drop it in a cozy to keep it hot while it cooks. Instant rice, instant potatoes, instant oatmeal and quick cooking noodles like ramen. Just add a protein. We had five meals each (total of ten) and I probably spent not much more than two Mountain House. I did splurge for dinner on the 2nd night and had this https://www.amazon.com/Thai-Kitchen...&qid=1528505669&sr=1-43&keywords=thai+kitchen But it was made in a freezer bag. Soak the noodles until cooked and then poured out leftover water, then poured the sauce packet in. The pad thai had over 700 calories without adding a protein.

Winterhorse and WILL like this.