2018 gardens

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by MommaJ, Feb 5, 2018.

1. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I just bought the seeds for this year's garden fingers crossed I have a good year as I have spent the past several years just getting the insects back and garbage out of the yard.

So while the seeds start on my Mom's kitchen table I will be building a 2nd garden space. This time in the back yard lol. My primary will still be in the front yard.

So what is everyone planting this year?

2. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sweet corn. Snow peas and Acorn squash. Have strawberries and onions already in pots. Plus assorted herbs. Did kale 2 years ago. Think blackberries are hard to kill. Nope kale. Doing all three crops communally. Stories is those three are mutually helpful. Had neighbors toss all there kitchen compostables in the garden. Three onion tops took and started growing. So among the mix of planted stuff. I might find the odd surprise. Can't wait for spring!
    Jim

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  3. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    Forgot. Garlic. I can only find super expensive organic or grown in China at the store! Easy to grow. For those doing strawberries. Google strawberry towers. I have one made of two 5 gallon plastic buckets. Ugly as sin. But a lot of plants in a small foot print. Helps keep the runners off the ground so they don't take over.

4. MommaJ

Blog Posts:
    I've done gutter strawberries and potato garbage cans in years past. Both worked great with a small space.

Garlic and onion have not worked here yet. Going to give the yard a few more years to unpack.I rotate soil from garden bed to yard every other year. Seems to work that after 2 years of growing tomatoes the soil doesn't have the umfff for another crop but works great for grass seed. And in turn every 2 years i have a new area to garden.

5. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm waiting for the gutters to finish falling off the cabin next door. Then I might upgrade my strawberries! I did corn last year. Hard on soil. I fertilized a lot during the season. Gathered every leaf I could find and turned them into the soil along with chopped corn stocks. Peas vines and So on. Had neighbors use it for compost. Turned occasionally and let rain work it. I've got fresh top soil. I'm going to mix in before planting. Im not sure why you have trouble with garlic and onions. The Spanish onions I have in pots won't stop growing. They've got fat greens right now. Must be temperature. It does not get very cold over winter. Most of the onion itself is exposed from rain. They are very happy. I went to try a potoatoe method I saw on YouTube. Wire mesh full of leaves and or hay. I don't remember the details but it looked effective and high yield for a small foot print. Maybe a version of your garbage can spuds.

6. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We have done straw bale gardening the last several years, with good success. We have rocky clay. The straw bales themselves are completely the medium. It's not so good for corn, but have had good luck with most everything else. I recommend Joel Karsten's book on the subject.

7. MommaJ

Blog Posts:
    The onions and garlic I think the issue had been hard packed clay like soil. The 1st three years living here the rain barely penetrated the back yard. The front yard was in better shape but not much.
    So chickens in the backyard for a couple of years, transplanting soil, free topsoil from an old job, and finally i have soil that accepts rain lol. Not sure the nutrient level hence the soon to built garden will be newspaper bottom, peet moss,manure, and top soil.

Yup that wire mesh is a version of the garbage can method.

8. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    So far only thing we have growing for the 2018 season is 3000 head of garlic sitting under 2 feet of snow, happily mulched. Most areas garlic is a crop that is planted in the fall before the ground freezes. We usually aim to have our garlic crop in the ground by mid to late October. We have been playing with different mulch regimes on the garlic. For years we just mulched with 6 to 8 inches of straw. Did a little research and learned that most garlic farmers mulch with hay. Last year we mulched with a second cutting alfalfa hay and had great growth because of the nutrient dense hay feeding the soil ecosystem, only issue is the garlic was void of mulch by middle summer. This year's mulch was 1-2 inches maple leaves covered in 4 inches of straw and topped of with another 1-2 of alfalfa hay. Always experimenting. Figured with this year's mulch that the leaves with feed the worms, the straw takes longer to breakdown because of the carbon content and this carbon will aid in catching the nutrients that leach out of the alfalfa topping in our spring rains.

9. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's probably the difference. You have to go down a few ft to find clay here. A lot of locally made top soil has evergreen/cedar in it. I would think that would increase acidity. That's what the onions are in. I had two beds years ago of acorn squash. Everything the same. Except one was catching a lot more cedar needles. Those didn't nearly as well. That said my squash yields in native soil have never been great. Corn same thing (last year was first time). 40 plants and 27 cobs. Should be closer to 80 in ideal conditions.

10. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Our soil in bottom garden is clay based. We have about 12 to 16 inches of organic matter rich clay, nice and black, sitting on top of a very deep layer of gray alkaline clay. A lot of people complain about clay soils and gardens but I personally like clay soils. They have there down sides but also have many positive features including running a cation exchange with the roots of plants. There is a large local farm that had very compacted clay soils when they started. After years of mulching with very large amounts of leaves they may now have some of the best quality tasting veggies in the valley.

11. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Cukes, zukes, spinach, lettuce, taters, jalapenos, green peppers, broccoli, potatoes, strawberries, carrots, various herbs, green beans, rhubarb, raspberries, and tomatoes.

12. miwok

miwok Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I usually start thinking about my garden right about when I should have seeds germinating then cop out, go to the big box store, buy half grown tomatoes, and slink away.

I appreciate the reminder to get busy planning it now.

13. chasntuna

chasntuna Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just started some beefsteak tomatoes, pablano peppers, Anaheim and hatch green chili's, bells and an assortment of hot peppers. 20 plants total, going to be a small space this year.

bgf, MommaJ and Guillaume Longval like this.
  14. diamondm

diamondm Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Getting our seed order ready. We are going to grow tomatoes, onions, peas,green beans, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumber, cilantro, lettuce, spinach and strawberries. We are still eating our onions form last growing season as well as salsa, pickles and spaghetti sauce that we canned. Yum love fresh gardens.

bgf, rsnurkle, MommaJ and 1 other person like this.
  15. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Friction Fire Addict Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Herbs, tomatoes, jerusalem artichoke, black rasberries, some beans or peas. Ill try garlic this year. Its only my second year gardening.

I got a very small garden with 2' of clay over rock...im upgrading with my compost and a biochar experiment. Having fun so far.

bgf, rsnurkle and MommaJ like this.
  16. MommaJ

Blog Posts:
    2 more weeks or so before getting the potatoes and peas in the ground.

And just started the indoor starter seeds of tomatoes and peppers.

Now to start building the beds and rebuilding the front bed.

bgf and Guillaume Longval like this.
  17. Guillaume Longval

Blog Posts:
    Im definitely jealous of you people who have a much longer growth season! Our last freeze is mid may!! In u.s. zones, im between 3 and 4...

(But then i remember that ticks doesnt survive here):)

bgf and diamondm like this.
  18. MommaJ

Blog Posts:
    Man I would love no ticks. I'm zone 6 I think and a niceomg season but August is generally super dry so my water bill goes up through the roof

bgf and Guillaume Longval like this.
  19. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    man, you make me think......see, last fall we had hoped we'd be leaving, so i had grasses over my three beds (with great sadness) however, with all the health issues my wife had, we're gonna be here for awhile longer still. so, both for my well-being and for the joy of my daughter, i really need to get those worked back and ready to plant this year. she LOVES being out in the garden with me, and finding raspberries and strawberries (which i did leave go) and peas and beans (which she eats almost as quickly as i pick.) so, definitely lettuce, peas, beans, and for me, it's not a garden if there's not tomatoes! would like to do cukes and squash too, though i haven't had good luck with them in the past few years. plus the wife always wants cilantro and basil, along with other herbs that change with each year. time to get planning, i guess!

20. MommaJ

Blog Posts:
    I received a picture from my Mom this morning of my babies. We have an official seedling:4:
    6944.jpeg

She is starting my seeds as she has the room for an indoor nursery. So I get weekly process reports.

21. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not sure what we will be planting this year but our youngest daughter already has our kitchen full of seedlings. I hope they survive until May when they can go outside. If you find me on Facebook you can see photo albums of our last couple gardens plus the extras like blue berries, raspberries, our mini vineyard and a few other things.

Jon.

bgf, Guillaume Longval and MommaJ like this.
  22. bgf

bgf Scout

Blog Posts:
    Planted snap peas and various greens on February 15 during warm spell, all are up and healthy despite being under snow and temperatures in the low twenties a couple of times. Covered with plastic for the worst of it.

Started tomatoes and a couple of herbs march 15, most are up now, little slow due to cold window with no heat pad. I'm going to plant most out a little later this year, anyway, since we've had fairly bad early blight issues last couple of years with mild temperatures and lots of rain in may. I will buy more tomato plants and all my peppers later... I sow cucumbers and squash directly when it feels like it's time, same for beans. May plant some early corn soon, just for kicks... typically I can't keep the wildlife away long enough to harvest much :(.

Guy, Guillaume Longval and MommaJ like this.
  23. CHIPPS09

CHIPPS09 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    2018 garden.jpg

onions are in ...still thinking on rest of space...lol

RavenLoon, Zunga, bgf and 2 others like this.
  24. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    Morning folks. I was in the garden yanking weeds and turning soil. I recalled a lil trick that worked wonders. White vinegar, salt and dish soap is a excellent weed killer. I can't recall the mix ratio. But it can likely be found online. The version I first used called for epson salts. I've used table salt and it works fine.
    Cheers Jim

25. Erwin73

Erwin73 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    My tomatoes are all very old varieties. My cucumbers also, if anyone wants something I can send something if it is allowed.

bgf and MommaJ like this.
  26. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We got Elephant Garlic that seems happy so far, hoping for a good harvest! That taller stuff is cilantro/ coriander. Pretty Flowers! 20180417_132618.jpg

RavenLoon, rkcolt45, bgf and 2 others like this.
  27. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hardneck garlic just starting to emerge through the mulch.
    20180419_133934.jpg

Last year the garden flooded and the garlic was under water for a month, we lost close to one thousand plants, a third of our crop. I figured it would never flood again but one day i found myself on the tractor last fall raising the garden beds by over two feet in height. This year flooded even worse and the garlic stayed high and dry.

20180419_130246.jpg

RavenLoon, bgf, MommaJ and 1 other person like this.
  28. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Our 2018 garden is still under lights indoors, waiting for winter to stop.

hughhaff, bgf, MommaJ and 1 other person like this.
  29. Guillaume Longval

Blog Posts:
    It snowed today:34:

Started seedling on the late (2 weeks ago) from seeds i saved last year.

IMG_20180419_172914925.jpg

Hoping for a mid-may last frost...:cool:

RavenLoon, bgf and MommaJ like this.
  30. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got some kale doing good. Last year's collards are still kicking out greens too.
    Planted peas, and tilled once in the main area then threw manure.

Long way to go.......

bgf and MommaJ like this.
  31. bgf

bgf Scout

Blog Posts:
    Peas and greens outside are growing slowly, but almost at the critical point where the greens will take off and be big enough to eat somewhat soon. The little bit of parsley I planted either late February or early march is up and a few true leaves on it. I'm glad because parsley is one of those herbs that's extremely useful, but I have trouble getting it to sprout. I guess it likes neglect and random weather :). I planted cilantro next to it, but it is wisely declining to come up. My theory is that most seeds know when to sprout and won't suffer waiting...and I want cool season stuff to enjoy themselves before the inevitable heat hits (unexpectedly, though predictably).

Tomatoes still living inside, and will for a while, probably. Every time it looks like it might be warming for good, there's a day or two of cold!

Guillaume Longval and MommaJ like this.
  32. MommaJ

Blog Posts:
    Peas and potatoes are starting to pop
    20180425_161646.jpg

RavenLoon, Guillaume Longval and bgf like this.
  33. Dadio

Dadio Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    8D9F5FA2-424B-41B8-8EBE-4E52D5091806.jpeg We’ve been building and planting tall raised beds with an eye to being able to keep gardening into our dotage. We have two more to go. I’ve been pulling dirt from what used to be the barnyard and it seems to be good stuff, but likely full of weed seed.

Potatoes are doing well. We hilled them for the first time. We’ve also planted the usual, tomatoes onions, beans, peppers, watermelon, squash. And my daughter claimed two half beds for flowers, and I’m okay with that.

pgun1267, Syntria, RavenLoon and 3 others like this.
  34. bgf

bgf Scout

Blog Posts:
    Peas are about to bloom. Greens almost big enough to shade out weeds :). First patch of bush beans are up, second planted and probably close to sprouting. I still have not figured out pictures since photobucket bailed, sorry!

Planted out 19 tomatoes so far, went a little overboard with starts, probably that many more that I potted up, plus bought 6 Kentucky beefsteaks from an industrious young man's roadside stand. Need to make a new bed to confuse the deer and hold overflow...will try to give some plants away, too, there may be some more hiding. They did well in my window until it got a lot warmer, now they are getting leggy, which is fine with me as I plant either very deep or in a trench (which I haven't tried in a while)!

Planted squash (yellow and zucchini) and 3 types of cucumbers last week, many cucumbers are up, bought another type of cucumber and squash for next week. Got a lot of space on fence for cucurbits this year, using space that was tomatoes last year. Might try to grow some Dipper or birdhouse gourds if I find seeds.

Also, I'm curious about what varieties of tomatoes people here plant? I was on an OP/heirloom kick for the last few years, but the hybrids have their charms and always deliver, and Big boy in particular tastes great in my ground. My somewhat random grow list is:

Big Boy
    Better Boy
    Black Krim
    Kentucky beefsteak (orange)
    4th of July (my "early")
    Rio Grande
    Large red cherry
    Yellow pear, one more chance
    Gardener's delight
    Super sweet 100 (too sweet for me, but wife likes them)

I may not buy any more varieties this year, though every time I say that, I end up with 2 dozen extras :). Big beef was a good producer last year, but only until midsummer, when it succumbed to heat and blight that the better boys just laughed at. And I do need a pink or two....

Dadio, Guillaume Longval and MommaJ like this.
  35. MommaJ

Blog Posts:
    Let's see the tomatoes I have planted this year are... 3 varieties and 5 plants of each
    Mortgage lifters
    Amish paste
    Japanese black

The peas are popped up just waiting on blooms,the carrots are starting to pop,the potatoes are growing strong. Yesterday 8 planted the corn,cucumbers,squash,beans, calendula,and Will Rogers. This weekend fingers crossed I will be planting the tomatoes, peppers, and sunflowers.

36. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    so, we're really hoping to move soon (even more shootings within a few block radius lately) so the garden is mostly grassed over. but the raspberry plants are springing up-maybe 4-5 inches tall now. the strawberries are blooming like crazy, and the kiddo is excited and keeps reminding me that we have to be patient and let them grow (she'll be three this summer, but she loves all things growing, and especially picking flowers and fruits, hence the conversation about the strawberries)

37. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:
    Spinach and lettuce volunteers are growing well. As are all the Alliums. Asparagus really started taking off the other day. Potatoes are planted in buckets. Chard seeds are in but havent sprouted yet. Cilantro is up in a new bed (it will take over if you let it).Peach trees and cherry trees are in blossom. Grapes and blackberries are budding.

38. Blackhillz

Blackhillz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We are planting Jalapeno, Black Hungarian Peppers, bell peppers, Onions, Lettuce. Our apple trees, raspberries, black currants, and service berry's are all starting to bloom.

39. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Still waiting on ours to dry out. Every time it is almost dry enough to till, we get some rain. :mad:

Guillaume Longval and bgf like this.
  40. MommaJ

Blog Posts:
    Grr

41. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Yep. And can't just work up spots and plants as Dad brought up several tractor buckets of manure last month. So there is a 2" layer of manure over the entire garden that needs tilled in. :34:

42. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    :59:

Well, I got it tilled Saturday morning. Family stuff took up the rest of the weekend. :34: Youngest turned 18 on Sunday and the Mother's Day stuff.

Dadio, bgf and MommaJ like this.
  43. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Got my last tilling done today, and some peppers and tomatoes put in. More things to plant, but I'm definitely well on the way :)
    20180514_115443.jpg

20180514_155304.jpg

Of course I had to try one of these
    20180514_145358.jpg

The beds here have been going a while now.

Kale, volunteer cilantro
    20180514_155349.jpg

Peas, tomatoes I gambled on an extra early start that worked out this year, Thai peppers
    20180514_155328.jpg

Artichokes
    20180514_155319.jpg

44. TreekillerX

TreekillerX Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Pics to come, but so far: Planted thus far: 30' beets, 75 leeks, 150' carrots, kale, 90' bush beans, 25' turnips, 25' lettuces,25' mustard,300 onions, 40 tomatoes, 15 peppers, 10 hills summer squash, 11 hills cukes, 100' potatoes, 25' sweet potatoes, 20 hills various melons, 150' okra, 30 hills winter squash/pumpkins/luffa, 90'x3 block of early and medium sweet corn, 40' asparagus beans, 10 new blueberries (25 total), 15 new blackberries (25), 5 new raspberries (20), 7 pawpaws, 2 peaches, 12 chestnuts, 3 ariona berry, 75 strawberry, 10 elderberries, , 12 new apples (17), 12 wild plum and 10 mushroom logs. Still have another 50' of beans to do in a week or so, 90' more sweet potatoes and white yams when they arrive, 12' of eggplant, 30' of celery and celeriac. So, Spring planting is just about finished.

The above is a copy/paste from a text I sent a friend up north. The only thing left for the spring is the sweet potatoes. This is our first full year on our land and I opened up a number of new rows. Should keep us fed with enough to sell at market.

45. bgf

bgf Scout

Blog Posts:
    Picked and ate first few snap peas day or two ago...plan is to harvest them until June and put peppers there.

Greens (mustard, collards, turnips) are edible size now. Chard is bitter and spinach bolted with tiny leaves :(. The weather went from unseasonably cool to unseasonably hot and dry.

Both bush bean patches are up...

Cucumbers and squash have true leaves, even the ones where some bugs ate the cotyledons. Will try to set a second planting of with different varieties pretty soon.

Tomatoes growing well...a couple of blooms on the ones set out may 1. Still more to plant, but I need to build up a new bed.

Parsley seems fine, and it looks like some of the cilantro is finally sprouting.

Dadio, Guillaume Longval and MommaJ like this.
  46. hughhaff

hughhaff Scout

Blog Posts:
    We had a LOOOOONG drawn out last half of winter with a major blizzard April 21 & a major snowstorm on April 25, we're just getting plants in the ground!
    My wife started King of the North peppers, Paul Robeson toms, cherry toms, mini sweet peppers, garlic chives, lemon balm, summer savory, basil, & romaine lettuce, about 280 plants in all down in our basement. We've gotten both gardens tilled & fertilized just waiting on some decent weather. (As I'm typing this it's completely cloudy & supposed to rain for the next 3 days.) We have a few plants in the raised planter & put in rigosa roses yesterday. We have our potatoes cut & curing in the garage, we'll plant corn, squash, & cukes also. All organic & heirloom varieties. Most seeds kept from previous years.

I forgot carrots, dill, & green beans!

Last edited: May 20, 2018 at 10:19 AM
    Dadio, bgf, Guillaume Longval and 2 others like this.
  47. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Finally took a camera on a garden walk around yesterday.

20180521_150328.jpg 20180521_144250.jpg 20180521_144912.jpg

pgun1267, Schmittie, Dadio and 3 others like this.
  48. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here are a few more pictures. Oaks do not grow native here but the Bur Oak, which is on of the most edible acorns of the oak family, seem to grow just fine and after waiting 9 years for acorns we finally have catkin formation on 3 trees. I am very excited about having acorns produced on the property not only as a potential food source but also a source for seeds. We have been starting perennial plants in our little nursery from seeds collected on the farm, soon I will be able to start growing oaks in the pots to be able to hand out to others within our community who are also eager to grow edible forest gardens.

20180521_151828.jpg 20180521_151727.jpg 20180521_151534.jpg
    Little seed oak slowly growing in the hedge.

20180521_145117.jpg

Watering the nursery plants.

20180521_154720.jpg

Schmittie, Dadio, bgf and 3 others like this.
  49. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Got the first block of sweet corn in this weekend, 5 hills of green beans, and a 4'x4' raised bed full of onion sets. Fencing is back up and around the two gardens. Then the rain started moving in. Hopefully we can get another block of sweet corn and tomatoes in later this weekend. We're running low on tomato sauces so we're going to be putting in a LOT of Roma's and a few cherry tomatoes; DW likes snacking on them.

Guillaume Longval, bgf and MommaJ like this.