24 Hour PSK Overnighter

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by Coyote Charlie, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Coyote Charlie

Coyote Charlie Roughian #88 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hello all,

I have been working through the Bushclass Advanced lessons and did my 24 hour PSK overnighter yesterday through this morning. As the weather was going to be near 100 degrees F I decided to get a jump on the day to avoid working in the hottest part of the day. Started the clock on August 16th at 06:05. Here is the photo of my start time and a link to my kit I used for the trip:

2019-08-17-09-09-36.jpg

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...s-student-practice.102520/page-2#post-4550316

The area I picked for the trip was tricky. I was allowed to have a campfire (rare in my area this time of year) and process downed or dead wood. The down side is no dispersed camping and my water source was a mile away in the bottom of a canyon. The hike up was pretty brutal and was exasperated by the heat. One of the nice things about the site is there are only two camping spots and you need to hike in. Keeps folks away and I had the site to myself for most of the trip. Also doesn't make it feel like a campground.

I will say to start I had a bunch of fun but this lesson was a major learning experience for me. It is really good to test your kit when the stakes are low so you can find out a weekness before it really matters.

As the lesson requires you to use a small package I didn't have water with me but my kit had two baggies for water and iodine/neutralizer tablets. So before I worked on my campsite it was down to the lake for water and then back up to the site to work on camp. From the car to the water it was just over three miles and I was really happy that I started early.

2019-08-16-21-22-01.jpg

2019-08-16-21-22-57.jpg

2019-08-16-21-24-38.jpg

One lesson learned was to test your baggies prior to needing them. Both did not seal well and would leak if they were not kept upright. This would have been a huge problem but as this is a well used lake for recreational boaters, trash was abundant and I found a gallon plastic bottle that looked like it had only been in the elements for a few days to a week. As the lesson allows you to use found equipment I scooped it up to use as water storage. The baggies became dirty water grabbers with the plastic jug the clean water and neutralizer container.

2019-08-16-21-25-24.jpg

2019-08-16-21-25-49.jpg

2019-08-16-21-26-08.jpg

With water squared away it was time to work on my site. Like I mentioned the site is on top of a hill but it is a very nice view.

2019-08-17-15-32-36.jpg

And this tree would work nicely for a natural shelter:

2019-08-16-21-20-16.jpg

It was supported on both sides and it did not budge an inch with me bouncing on top of it. It was only 08:00 and I was already sweating and my guess was about 75-80 degrees F.

(Continued)

SLaRoy, juliuslim, ArmyMacE and 21 others like this.
  2. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:
    With the temperature rising I started working on my shelter. Working from the bottom up I made the bed with oak logs found in the area, oak and grey pine branches, and grasses for the matress.

2019-08-16-21-26-32.jpg

2019-08-16-21-28-32.jpg

2019-08-16-21-29-07.jpg

It had a total loft of about 6". While working I tested out splitting wood with my SAK saw similar to the intermediate Bushclass lesson. Any larger branches I kept as firewood for later. I also worked on making a hobo reel to try and catch fish for dinner.

2019-08-16-21-27-20.jpg

2019-08-16-21-27-52.jpg

2019-08-17-09-00-26.jpg

2019-08-17-09-01-03.jpg

The wood I set aside behind a tree to make my work less tempting to others looking to make a fire.

After my bedding I started to work on my shelter. I wanted to be small as I figured it would be less space to warm and less material to gather. I used the big tree as the main support and oak branches with grass on top.

2019-08-16-21-29-48.jpg

2019-08-16-21-30-29.jpg

2019-08-17-12-01-51.jpg

It was now about 10:00 and with the camp chores done and half of my water consumed I headed back to the lake to work on food and find a spot to keep out of the heat of the day.

(Continued)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  3. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:
    So the site I had scouted before had a ton of Himalayan blackberries that I had planned on eating but as I changed my plan last minute I had no idea if I would find any in this new spot. I did some Google Earth scouting and spotted one area that looked like it had some vines but when I got there it was fruitless grapevines.

2019-08-17-07-19-00.jpg

It was getting hotter and hotter and I didn't want to expend a lot of energy looking for something that wasn't there. By this point it felt like it was getting close to 90 degrees F and I had already hiked about six miles. I was starting to burn water and started to think about giving up on the blackberries but I notice a spring up a hill and made the hike.

The spring was there but no blackberries. I decided to follow the flow back down to the lake and hallelujah at the confluence of the spring and the lake was a small blackberry patch. I was not selective and ate anything that was mostly black to turning into blackberry raisins. Consequently I ate a few hundred berries for lunch. With stained fingers it was time to look for a rest spot in the shade. 2019-08-17-07-19-35.jpg

2019-08-17-07-20-41.jpg

2019-08-17-07-21-34.jpg

Near the blackberry patch was a small sandy beach that would make a comfortable spot to wait out the heat before trying for fish. At this point it was 12:00 and I decided to start fishing around 18:00. As a bonus the beach had a lot of fish activity but I waited until it was cooler. More water was needed at this point so I used some more of my purification tablets. At this point I realized that I only had enough tablets to treat one more gallon of water. I figured I had enough but with the temperature near 100 degrees F this did worry me. To think that decided to add additional tablets just a couple of days ago.

2019-08-17-07-22-32.jpg

2019-08-17-07-23-11.jpg

Well my plan to wait at this spot was a good one but then the party boats arrived and when I am talking party boats I mean blaring music, clothing optional, alcohol, and drug use party boats and they had sights set on my beach. I really wish I was exaggerating but after about an hour of hoping they would find a new spot I headed out in the dead heat to find myself a new one. I was really trying to conserve water and energy when the temps were high but I decided for my sanity I needed to move.

I found it was not the best move. Call it the heat or just plain stupidity I actually fell three times on steep embankment making my way to my new spot. On the last fall I cut up both hands on some rocks. I had some alcohol swabs and bandages in my kit so got them out to use. My hands were so dirty from falling the swabs seem to be covered in filth before I could apply them to the wounds. After my skin was so sweaty from hiking in the heat the bandages wouldn't stick. Found a spot to wait out the heat but was kicking myself for being so clumsy. Kept my spirits up though as in a real survival situation it would be important. Here is a selfie from my new sunnier rest spot.

2019-08-17-07-25-00.jpg

Well fishing was next as it was getting closer to dinner time so grabbed my new hobo reel and tried for some large fish in the lake. They were not biting what I was giving them but did manage to score a few sunfish.

2019-08-17-07-24-08.jpg

Call it the heat or the size of the fish or the fact that the blackberries were actually keeping me full but I decided I wouldn't keep them for dinner. Back they went and with my last gallon of water up the hill to my camp I went. While I had a bunch of stuff to keep bugs at Bay I realized while fishing I didn't have any sunscreen wipes to keep me from getting burned... Another lesson learned.

Back at camp I built a twig bundle fire to check off another lesson and keep the mosquitoes away and used my wood I stashed from earlier. I used the lighter from my kit to get the fire going but honestly this was the first time using a lighter to get one going in a long time. The dry wood went up fast and hot.

2019-08-17-09-03-44.jpg 2019-08-17-09-05-40.jpg

(Continued)

4. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:
    I planned to try to go to sleep around 23:00 but with the full day of hiking and not eating I was hitting the hay (almost literally) at 22:00. My shelter was like crawling into a sleeping bag. The main log was only a few inches above me but I was right, it kept me super warm. Here is the start:

2019-08-17-09-06-32.jpg

And the finish:

2019-08-17-09-06-59.jpg

You can see how much the grass compacted on the left side of the photos. A week ago I did my improvised pack outing in this same spot and with my wool blanket and sleeping pad I was much colder than last night. It was truly amazing how well the grass acted like an insulator. It was not as comfortable for sure but I was very warm. As a bonus I can report no ticks on me. Just kinda figure that I would have a few but clean.

Here is a picture of the grass matted down and my shelter in the morning. 2019-08-17-09-07-17.jpg 2019-08-17-09-07-57.jpg

With my adventure coming to an end I started the hike out while it was still dark. The flashlight I packed in the kit was super helpful. The moon was full but it was still easier with the light. One small issues was the flashlight had a 90 degree bend and I would have been more comfortable with a standard flashlight.

Here is the fire road in the way out:

2019-08-17-09-08-27.jpg

It was interesting to see some of the nocturnal animals and got a blurry photo of a western screech owl that landed in the beam of my light.

2019-08-17-09-09-03.jpg

Hard to get a clear picture of it even with it just sitting there until I left.

Got back to the car just after 06:05 and officially ended my 24 hours out of my PSK.

2019-08-17-09-09-25.jpg

I learned a lot from the trip and will post the lessons learned (including some listed above) in the Bushclass post.

Had a really good time and this was an considerable challenge.

Thank you for looking,

Coyote

5. operatord

operatord Mora Tribe #574 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good job bro!

6. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ ~ MOA #62 ~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Great job! It's a new one to hear of someone getting injured trying to get away from clothing optional party goers! :18:

Your shelter looks very cozy. :dblthumb:

7. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:
    Thank you both.

@Jonah L. Archer it was really their taste in music :26:

8. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Enjoyed this! What bait did you use?

9. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:
    I had some artificial honey worms and mouse tails in the kit. The Sunfish hit the honey worms.

10. Russell96

Russell96 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Really enjoyed reading this. Good job.
    Russ

11. Teeps

Teeps Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Awesome as always amigo. I thoroughly enjoyed the read. Great trip

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  12. Snake Doc 415

Snake Doc 415 Gradatim Ferociter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You are an amazing bushman my friend. I’m proud of you for getting down and dirty, practicing those skills, and passing them onto your children. You inspire me to get out more (even when it’s hot as hades outside). Keep up the great work!

-Snake Doc 415

13. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:
    Thank you!

I'm glad. Looking forward to your next Hardwoodsman adventure!

Thank you so much for the comment. I really appreciate it. Hope to get the Pup out on the next one.

14. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Outstanding!
    Well documented exercise, felt as if I were there with you.

15. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Roughian #10 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great outing and experience. Nicely done!

buckfynn, Seahunter, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  16. danpass

danpass Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nicely done and well written :D

17. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I am totally impressed with this! You are really taking this to new levels. :) Keep the good work going. Oh, and if the s ever does hit the fan? I'm heading your way. :)

18. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. So much to take in on that trip.

Thank you. I will be more ready for the next one.

Thank you.

Thank you. My non BCUSA friend mentioned the same thing. I told him that at least he should be more comfortable on the trips I plan for us.

19. Seahunter

Seahunter Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Great job with the over night! You did a really good job writing it up and documenting it with pictures. I like your hobo reel. I checked out your post in Bushclass too. I need to take a look at the bags in my kit a 2nd time and make sure they hold water well. I am also going to add a sun screen wipe. I am also becoming a fan of a SAK for a survival kit knife.

MrFixIt, Teeps, buckfynn and 3 others like this.
  20. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great trip report! Well written and great photo documentation. You’ve definitely got me thinking about revisiting and revising my PSK. Thanks for sharing.

21. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:

Thank you! I don't think I mentioned it in this thread but I didn't use my fixed blade file knife the whole trip. The splitting wood with a saw lesson from Bushclass Intermediate allowed me to split the same size wood with my SAK saw as I could do with my fixed blade file knife. Found the SAK camper to fit all of my needs on the trip.

MrFixIt, buckfynn and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  22. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:
    The PSK thread in Bushclass has a lot of awesome information. While I dealt with 100 degree F (38 degree C) weather, others are doing their psk adventures in the snow!

23. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Skills Practitioner

Blog Posts:
    We definitely need more of this! Love it! I don’t think I’ll repeat what others have already said. Shared sentiment as many folks have already posted.

:35::dblthumb:

Thanks,

Jarrod

24. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! Very well done and great documentation.