1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

.357magnum

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Gcckoka, May 19, 2017.

1. Gcckoka

Gcckoka Supporter Supporter Banned

Blog Posts:
    So guys my father owns a rossi lever action rifle chambered in 357mag I believe 16 inch barrel , this is one of very few lever actions available here and it was a gift from his friend , my father wanted 44mag but the store was out of stock, over here hunting animals in illegal but exceptions ar made from time to time, but what I want to know is how good will it be for hunting roe buck and wild boar (they are quite big compared to what you guys have I believe) , I know you can kill anything with a well placed shot but in reality how will it work ? Will it be a little dangerous to hunt wild boar with it ? My father always hunter and had the russian rifles and he is familiar to those cartridges as well but this is something new. I also want to ask about accuracy , what is the limit you suggest to shoot with its stock iron sights , I know this depends on the shooter but still in general how long would you recommend , my father is a very good shooter and has always hunted with iron sights with mosins , sks , tiger and svd, never liked optics so he raised me also that way, I'm not a bad shooter with more experience im sure I will get better , also is there any option to put optics on this rifle ?
    Thank you very much in advance !

LongAgoLEO and Guy like this.
  2. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    With proper loads, good bullet placement and limited ranges you will be just fine.

Top 357 mag loads from a rifle/carbine barrel will approximate 30-30 ballistics. A 158 at near 2000 fps vs a 150 @ 2100ish. (ADVERTISED as 2400 but NEVER gets that fast even from 24" barrels!) Another plus for the 357 is diameter, its larger than the 30-30 bullet.

For distances, I suggest inside 100 yards. Likely hogs will be allot closer. Choose a SP bullet NOT a HP bullet. Then find a loading, (or build one) that the rifle shoots well and PRACTICE!

Good luck,
    CW

3. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Adventurer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am still looking for the original article, but here's this for now.

by James F. Swidryk Handgun Hunter Magazine
    Last updated: 2012-05-23

After reading Doug Wesson`s Outdoor Life article detailing his Wyoming hunt using one of the first 357 Magnum`s I can say with certainty that the outdoor writers of the day, with their poor opinions of hunting with handguns, really ( for lack of a better word ) pissed him off....Mr. Wesson`s hunt was two fold, first to prove the writers wrong and second, to show what an excellent handgun S&W had produced. Besides the hunt pictures I`ve included an original letter , signed by D. Wesson, along with their 357 brochure and order form. As handgun hunters we owe much to Wesson and all he did to promote the sport.

After consulting with members of the Camp Fire Club of America, one of the members urged Wesson to go with him to Wyoming where he would show him more antelope, elk and moose in two weeks then he`d ever seen in his whole life. These words proved true. In the words of DW "when I got off the train early one morning in late September, I had a duffle bag, filled with my Maine hunting clothes, a Magnum revolver, a Sam Browne belt and holster, 250 rounds of ammunition and high hopes for big game, but not a plan in my head". He soon met guide Jim Taylor at the ranch of Charles Belden where he was also introduced to a horse that would help climbing those steep Wyoming moutains even though Wesson was not completely happy with the idea of such transportation. He did not like horses....

First up, antelope. When the animal closed to a distance of 125 yards, Wesson drew his

8 3/4" barreled 357 and with the gun sighted at 25 yards with a dead center hold he snapped off a shot and was rewarded with the sound of a hit....They trailed the antelope for a mile and a half and were later to find that his first shot had just nicked the rear leg enough to slow him down. His 2nd shot was paced off at 230 steps and in his words "that dosen`t sound far, but, if you`ll look at one of those beast`s over a 1/10" McGivern front sight,you`ll find the sight looks alot wider then the buck". The second bullet had gone through both hips leaving a .50 caliber hole at the exit. The antelope finally gave up allowing for a finish shot with his open sight handgun...

His next goal was an elk which had him pack train up the Buffalo River to Turpin Meadow at the foot of Terrace Moutain. When the hunters reached an altitude of 11,000 feet Wesson heard for the first time the bugle of an elk which to him, "was distinctly startling". They spotted a nice bull at 130 yards, fired, and his words "I could see him wobble a bit". He fired at the departing bull two more times, both double action and both missing. The bull stopped at around 300 yards and he fired again which caused the elk to jump and disappeared into the brush. They found the dead elk not fifty yards from the last shot and determined that Wessons first shot passed through both lungs and his last had nicked a back leg. As for his two missed shots Wessos say`s "to hell with them. Glad I missed. They helped prove that the one shot did it"....

In Doug Wessons words "next to the wild turkey, the moose represents the most desirable of all American game". With these thoughts in mind Mr. Wesson and his pack train covered over 20 miles taking them over the Continental Divide to the Yellowstone River and finally making camp at a spot dubbed Hawks Rest. The group hunted for a couple of days without seeing any decent bulls when for the heck of it Wesson and his guide tried to see how close they could get to a bunch of cow moose. When they were within 15 feet of the nearest cow the guide poked Wesson and pointed to his left. There stood a bull that in his words "the very one I dreamed about for years years". At 100 yards he fired with the bull going about 40 yards and dropping flat out dead. After inspection he found that the bullet had entered the base of the neck, cut the second rib, passed through the lungs, sheared a rib on the other side, and lodged under the skin....

I`ll finish by repeating the last paragraph from Doug Wessons "Big Game with Six-Gun" article published by Outdoor Life in 1936. "Now I`am here to state, that, if a hunter wants a real kick, all he needs to do is to forget his rifle, take a powerful revolver, and go after big game. I believe there will be fewer wounded animals get away to die later, for the Magnum bullet has higher impact value then many of the small-caliber, high-velocity rifles. The large-diameter, sharp-shouldered bullet cuts a clean hole, and upsets beautifully. A single chest or shoulder shot is all that`s needed. And you`ve got to do a good job of hunting, and then, at the last minute, you`ve got to squeeze the trigger. Of course, you`ve got to work harder and more carefully, and you are more likely to miss. But it`s a thousand times more sport when you do connect".....

I`ve added another picture of a newspaper article which shows a 700lb. grizzly that Wesson shot with his 357 in British Columbia. This was long before the handgun restrictions that Canada is so well known for.

http://www.handgunhunt.com/promo/membership/features/readNewArticle.php?oid=65

Guy, ManyHammers, crewhead05 and 3 others like this.
  4. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    Roe deer are pretty small, so will be no problem. Boar won't be a problem provided that you use tough bullets. Ammunition expected to expand from a 357 handgun isn't what you want for boar.

Gcckoka likes this.
  5. RockinU

RockinU Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have that model rifle in .44 mag, and use it quite a bit tracking in heavy cover. It is very effective at limited ranges.

Mitch Ray and Gcckoka like this.
  6. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not sure what kind of ammo is available where you live but I suggest you try to get some Buffalo Bore Heavy 357 Mag Outdoorsman ammo.

It is a 180 gr. hard cast bullet that shoots 1,400 feet per second, it is high quality ammunition.

7. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    Also check out Paco Kelly's leverguns web site and look for articles, there is a wealth of information there concerning lever guns and the .357 Magnum. They are also respectful and responsible there as well.

As has already been stated for the bigger hogs use a tough soft point bullet of at least 158 grains (heavy hard cast lead with a large flat frontal surface will also work) to insure sufficient penetration. On Roe deer if any of the lighter hollow point bullets are used be careful about bullet placement, a misplaced shot could easily ruin an entire quarter on such a small deer.

rockett88s, Bannertail and Gcckoka like this.
  8. Gcckoka

Gcckoka Supporter Supporter Banned

Blog Posts:
    What if I use 38 special for roe deer , as i know its softer hitting yes ?
    The ammo I have is 158 grain fmj by sellier&bellot
    Yeah I also saw that awesome buffalo bore ammo but sadly its not available over here , my father was thinking of getting 20 rounds of it for special ocasions he would make one of his friends bring it who has a shop but it would cost quite a lot for at this moment there is no rush for it

9. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    Do you have access to components, and the means to reload? If so, problems solved. The FMJ loads would make better small game rounds. I'd much prefer an expanding soft point for Roe deer and other medium game. Many things could work in a pinch, but would not be optimal. Of course if you have access to a good blood trailing dog (pretty common in many parts of Europe) the chances of losing a wounded animal are greatly reduced.

10. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Use .38 Special for target practice, stick with .357 magnum for hunting Roe deer. You want to shoot through the deer putting a entrance and exit hole so there is plenty of blood on the ground to trail the animal.

Do a search on the internet for: TAYLOR KNOCK OUT FACTOR CALCULATIONS
    it is a simple formula to help you calculate the stopping power of ammo on game animals.
    TKOF = WEIGHT OF BULLET X SPEED X DIAMETER / DIVIDED BY 7000

Read the article and it will explain it better than I can.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  11. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    .357 158gr FMJs will work for boar. +P 38 Spl in 125gr or 158gr should be enough for Roe deer. They are small.

I load my own 185gr hardcast with gas check in .357 carbines. At 1700fps+ they might change a lot of folks minds about what game a .357 carbine is capable of taking.

Squirrelhunter and rockett88s like this.
  12. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Why don't you use a HP on roe deer small thin hide....it expands...so deer is DRT.

Setting up for shooting all the way thru an animal so for sure you have to track it...is a setting for failure.

13. RebelYell

RebelYell Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I own a stainless steel 16-1/2" Rossi R92 carbine in .357 Magnum. It is both light and handy. I made two simple modifications to mine.

First, I put a leather wrap around the lower part of the lever loop to cushion my fingers when cycling the lever.

Second, I replaced the rear sight with a Skinner barrel mount ghost ring sight. It mounts in the dovetail cut that the factory sight was installed in. It really works. It has a screw-in aperture for precision, and when you unscrew it, you have a wide ghost ring for fast sight acquisition when hunting fast moving game. For these carbines, they are a great enhancement.

My preferred .357 Magnum load is a 180 grain hard-cast RNFP made by either Grizzly Cartridge or Buffalo Bore. These have a wide meplate and are deep penetrating bullets that will bust through a boar's shield or black bear's skull. Naturally, they will go through a deer. They are effective out to 100 yards which makes this little bundle of joy a great deep woods rifle.

I would stay in the heavier Bullet weights...158 grain to 180 grain. Avoid JHP bullets. They are mostly anti-personnel and open up too quickly on game. 158 grain JSP work for small deer. The better choices are hard cast alloy bullets.

I'm not sure about ammo choices available to you, but if you can procure the components, you might consider reloading your empty cases.

LongAgoLEO likes this.
  14. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not a snarky reply. Why is this setting up for failure? I am reading this post as I am considering a 357 lever action as my next rifle. This coincides with a Ruger wheelgun in 357.

15. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Nor was my answer.....Failure maybe not the best word.....but....
    Why would you purposely set up your rig up for wounding the animal? (shooting all the way through....so you 2 "tracking" blood trails...is making the assumption you will find the animal after tracking...
    Sometimes you don't...for many reasons....

So if shooting and wounding any animal is more desirable then having them fall over in their tracks DRT....I guess I have been doing it wrong for 50 years or so.
    Not saying right or wrong.....I would rather NOT have to track an animal.
    Just my opinion.

PS.
    .357 is more than enough ....with in it's limits....My comments are based on bullet choice and mind set.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Mitch Ray and dads2vette like this.
  16. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Adventurer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Please read the warnings on both Bufflao Bore and Garrett ammunition. They might not recommend using their ammo in the Rossi. They spec barrel rifling types and brands for their hot loads.

I may just be remembering their specs for my 45-70 but... If you want to run them they may recommend a recent model Marlin.

rockett88s likes this.
  17. SlayerOfBunnies

SlayerOfBunnies Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nailed it.

18. RebelYell

RebelYell Tracker

Blog Posts:

The only caveat from Buffalo Bore regarding the .357 Magnum Outdoorsman heavy load featuring the hard cast 180 grain RNFPGC is in reference to alloy frame revolvers and that was about bullet jump from recoil. The 1892 action is stronger than the revolvers and will handle it just fine. Rossi also makes the Puma 92 chambered in .454 Casull, so .357 Magnum is no sweat.

LongAgoLEO and Wolfcri like this.
  19. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Is the Levelution ammo available in your area?

20. wrath0r

wrath0r Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have read lots of accounts of people taking Whitetail deer with .357 lever guns. Not sure how they compare to Roe (I'm not a hunter), but I think you'll be fine as long as you're within range. I've read that Buffalo Bore makes good, hot cartridges you can comfortably use for hunting.

21. Tanner68

Tanner68 Scout

Blog Posts:
    LA Foothills, PRK (Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)
    OP, what are your ammo and reloading options?

22. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    Roe deer are usually in the 35 to 70 pound range or so, considerably smaller than the average adult whitetail.

23. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    Roe deer are about the same weight as Eastern Coyotes or Red Wolves.

24. swissarmy67

swissarmy67 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I assume you can get Geco and Sellier & Bellot over there.

Either company's 158gr soft point ammo should be fine out to 100 meters.

25. smithj01

smithj01 Tracker

Blog Posts:
  26. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hunter,

I think you miss some of the point..

You make it sound as if you cannot have one without the other...

You also make it sound like you are speaking of energy "dump"...

First of all, we all would like DRT shots! I mean what responsable hunter would shoot a animal they thought there was a chance of loosing??? I mean we shoot them to eat or erraducate so we shoot cause we want them dead...
    Two holes is FAR MORE DESIREABLE, because facts are most game shot will run at least a little distance and the second hole while it helps tracking the bigger picture is it LEAKS LIFE SUPPORTING BODY FLUIDS.

Hollo points are partially designed to enlarge so that they can disrupt more tissue. But most lack tge real energy for things like substantial hudro static shock. But what they also do is LIMIT penetration. And the reasoning is innosent bystanders. As these are antipersonnel projectiles. Designed for self defence where overpenetration is extreamly undesireable. NOT hunting. Sure they can and have worked. BUT a person shold fully realize all this entails. Thisbis why when asked about a hunting synerio, I always suggest a SOFT POINT bullet.

Secondly, many are enamored by "energy dump" but its a phalacy. That animal "feels" no more energy dump that the shooter does firing the cartridage. Thats physics equal and opposite reaction. Now sure and completely true are energy figures created by larger and heavier bullets. But those are efficient because they cause more trauma to the body usually these rounds will pish a bullet completely thru a animal.

I have taken dozens of deer with a 357 Mag many more with a 357 Maximum in both rifles and handguns and as I stated above. If held within responsable constraints it is a most effective and humaine cartridge.

CW

27. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree......
    Quote>
    Two holes is FAR MORE DESIREABLE, because facts are most game shot will run at least a little distance and the second hole while it helps tracking the bigger picture is it LEAKS LIFE SUPPORTING BODY FLUIDS.<quote

My only point.....
    I do not think it is a good idea to pick out purchase and sight in with a round that you intend to shoot all they way thru and animal...so as to get the leaks(?).....

Not gonna into 'energy dump"....actually hadn't even heard that put that way....?

I am a big fan of JSP...in a rifle round.....in a pistol round......my hunting preference are JHP.

That's it.......Take it or leave it........That is my opinion.

Cwlongshot likes this.
  28. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    In many parts of Europe "blood trailing" dogs are used only after the shot when searching for wounded game, which greatly reduces the chance of losing a wounded game animal. I'm not suggesting we should adopt any less care when taking shots and dogs are available, I'm rather pointing out that frequently there is an additional " tool", so to speak, available to assist when tracking wounded game in Europe. (I also know that in some parts of the United States you can also do likewise. But many parts of United States the use of dogs, in any capacity, to assist with taking big game is prohibited.)

P.S. The original poster resides in Europe, thus my comments.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  29. RockinU

RockinU Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As someone who tracks a lot of deer, I prefer 2 holes, exit hole is most always the big one that bleeds. I've seen deer with a completely destroyed heart go 1/4 mile. I've seen double lunged deer go even farther, and I've seen single lunged deer survive. They are tough tough animals, and if you hunt them long enough, your gonna get the chance to follow a blood trail.

Mitch Ray and Cwlongshot like this.
  30. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    How long is long enough?......

31. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    Without trying to step on any toes here, I think cartridge/bullet selection has a lot to do with an individual hunter's circumstances, and hunting style(s). For instance, I know if I am hunting with a lightly constructed, frangible bullet with sufficient velocity and I take a quartering shot on a medium game animal I am going to lose "more" meat along the bullet track to bruising/blood shot damage than I would have with a more stoutly constructed bullet. On the other hand if I slipped that bullet through the rib cage just behind the shoulder on a broadside shot I will likely do considerable damage to the heart/lungs while harming very little edible meat. So knowing before hand the conditions I expect to encounter I select what I think will be the best projectile for the job. (And each of us hunt in somewhat different circumstances/conditions.) Once I make that selection I should endeavor to follow through with what I started.

Just as archers know that to put the hemoraging effect of broadheads to best use you should seek a broadside double lung shot, so should gun hunters know how to best employ the weapon/projectile they choose when hunting. We can make many different types of weapons/projectiles work if we are knowledgeable and/or determined. And sometimes we choose to limit ourselves to heighten the challenge and experience. Hopefully though in so doing we never cause our game to needlessly suffer, or are we purposefully wasteful! Both are distasteful in my opinion. But we can use different choices to their best advantage and not be wasteful, and still be humane. Our use and ethics are entirely up to us, when we act responsibly.

Disclaimer: A true survival (or honestly destitute) situation is a different circumstance than I am describing above. And I doubt most of us here usually fit either of those categories.

PERRO and Cwlongshot like this.
  32. RockinU

RockinU Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well, I've only been hunting deer for 37 years, and I don't know how many hundreds I've killed now, but I do know I killed 47 my busiest year, but it only took until my 3rd deer to have to track one. Hit both lungs with a .243 shooting an old core-lokt and she went a little better than 200 yards before piling up at the base of a juniper.

You trying to say you've killed a significant number of deer, and never had one run a step? Because if you are, I'd like to have some of your magic, because after nearly 40 years of a lot of hunting, and 15 years of guiding hunters, I've seen all kinds of hits, from all kinds of rifles, and you can write it in ink...dead deer can run a ways, and trying to tell me otherwise won't go an inch.

33. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    Any hunter should plan to track! If it turns out we don't need to, so much the better.:3:

P.S. By the way, personally I like to cause a good blood trail (I'm getting too old/lazy to do much bending over;)) so when I do need to trail wounded game, I don't have so much trouble seeing blood with my current vision!:dblthumb: Thus my original post; (and Pennsylvania does not allow for blood trailing with dogs).​

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Cwlongshot and RockinU like this.
  34. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Not at all....
    My point was I don't go looking to shoot holes thru animals. ...on purpose.

Making condescending remarks telling me how many animals you have killed (?) changes nothing....just make you sound like a braggart.

I guess some people don't like being disagreed with....addressing me directly, and using ALL CAPS, and condescending remarks.... make you right?

Y'all have a nice day.

35. RockinU

RockinU Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don't do all caps or condescension, nor am I bragging, I just want it understood that I'm speaking from a place of real experience and not spouting internet theory or conjecture. And I addressed you directly because you quoted my post and asked "how long".

I can take disagreement all day, and am willing to support my position with what I've seen to be true, and if you still disagree with me, I won't view it as a personal attack, throw my sucker in the dirt and storm off. It'll just be 2 guys on a message board who see things different. Might not even be the first time it happened.

hunter63, Cwlongshot and scottman like this.
  36. .356luger

.356luger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here in indiana the 357 maybe called the mouse gun by range pets. Ive shot most of the 30 call stuff from the bottom to just shy of the top. And ive killed things from indianas bottom to the top with a 357mag. Bull frog to whitetail. Plan your bullet for your game with the 357 and you wont have a problem. Or just practice and shoot 158 hard Cast above 1100 fps.

On ths Buffalo bore ammo in a rossi 92 clone:
    I shot hundreds of ruger only(*) loads through mine. Its a very very very strong lock up. I miss that gun

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  37. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Buffalo bore 180 gr hard cast lead loading...replicate that load and you have a great cartridge!

For my eyes 75 yards is plenty far and my limit for iron sights. 357 mag suits this just fine as does the 30-30!

Cwlongshot likes this.
  38. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Scout

Blog Posts:
    My go-to trail combo; S&W 686 Plus & Rossi 92. I've fed the carbine all sorts of .38's & .357's and never had a hiccup. She's eats them both. And she LOVES the Buffalo Bore 180's, as does the 686. Summer '17 - 0127.jpg

Cwlongshot likes this.
  39. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    I haven't used many factory loads, at least not in a LONG time. :)

But I do shoot fair amount of cast. That I cast myself. Sorry for blurry pic... First is a 190 Lee RANCH DOG that I do like allot. The second is a reg Keith 160 the third is another favorite form a friend its a 235G Keith and the last is my 210 RCBS mould. (Remember I shoot MAX allot too.)

[​IMG]

Here is a group shot of mny favorite 357 MAG/MAX bullets.

[​IMG]

More of those 235G

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mine is a Marlin 1894 & H&R Carbine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a 357 MAX

[​IMG] [​IMG]

CW

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    FreeMe, hunter63, LongAgoLEO and 3 others like this.
  40. slysir

slysir Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Cwlongshot

OMG!! The wood on that Marlin is stunning!!

-John

LongAgoLEO and Cwlongshot like this.
  41. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Scout

Blog Posts:
    THIS! I'd be afraid to drag that gorgeous stock through the woods.

Cwlongshot likes this.
  42. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have you chronoed many loads in 30-30? William Iorg on shootersforum has worked with the various iterations of the 30-30 and with all sorts of loads. He gets at advertised velocities with 26" barrels, (the original length Winchester 94 rifle length barrels used in testing) and I believe he said was getting as good velocities as the 20" 30-30 AI with standard chambers in the 26" guns. With some powders, some people have exceeded factory ballistics.

Its always interesting to see the competing thoughts on diameter vs high SD (long for caliber) bullets. Fatter is sometimes considered better for "impact effect" or similar thoughts, while longer is also considered better for penetration. For my use, I lean towards the 30-30 for range considerations. Probably not an issue for most people.

I feel the Taylor knockout value idea is much misunderstood and overused (misused). Reading Taylors book, after knowing of the TKO formula and being an adherent of it, I pretty much dropped it. Taylors comments were that he devised it as a method of comparing various cartridges for head shooting elephants, the "knockout" part was how long he expected them to be stunned before he could get another shot if the first one wasn't a killing shot. He further said that that was its only use, it wasn't much use against other game, and with soft point bullets used on other game. The formula has no factor for different shapes or types of bullets, and I believe is way too dependent on diameter. If you doubt that, compare a 12 ga foster slug, which is soft, designed for deer type game, and generally breaks into 3 pieces and stops in humans in police use, against the 458 Win Mag. I ran numbers on a bunch of stuff and concluded that Taylor was exactly right, it has one use, and isn't really applicable to anything else.

Swampdog likes this.
  43. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    Malamute,
    Why yes, I have chronographed allot of cartridges. That's why I made the comment... Cartridge companies made many outlandish claims on performance in years past... Things have improved as many folks now have chronos. Not to mention as you have stated much of these numbers came from excessive barrel lengths no 30-30 user would likely have.
    There are variables beyond most hunters idea of how and why a bullet works. Diameter, weight is with in the limitations of case cap and ones ability to shoot the cartridge. A small fast bullet is lightning up to a certain size build critter. Go to a bigger critter and its not so much a big deal. BUT a lumbering large diameter bullet to critical location will knock them flat.

As for Taylors formula, its just that and I subscribe and ALWAYS have that bullet diameter is lost in most peoples idea of what works well/best. Look at the 9mm/40 controversy for example...

NO ONE will doubt 500 FP is better then 350. Just as few would doubt a bullet that reliably expands to say 5/8 or 3/4" in dia is better then one that dose less or not at all. Conversely nearly all arm chair commando's will argue the 9 is better then the 40... Siting round/magazine capacity, guns recoil, FBI tests (love that too) and the latest, the 40 will beat up a gun faster and 40 is "loosing" popularity. HA all Hog wash!

So, much like you mention where Tylor him self said... I don't much care what a person says as its there opinion. I will weigh that with what I know of them. But when one can back that up with solid results and facts instead of conjecture you have my attention and I'll listen. (NOT YOU specifically, I am speaking in general)

As you mention, SD is a strong consideration too. There is a magic combination of length weight and diameter. ALL used within a case cap to get it moving while being comfortable enough to shoot. IMHO that is a 6.5 dia. Not large in diameter actually kinda small to my POV. But it works and works well. Penetration, expanding and usually quite accurate. Making a trifecta in a hunting caliber/rifle.

I subscribe to 40/200/1000 for minimum handgun usage on big game, Thats 40 cal, 200 grains projectile and 1000 FPS at muzzle as minimums for hunting big game. EVEN THEN strict yardage limitations must be self contained. (Not Contender/Encore)

Then with rifles, 1000 FPE ON animal to 350 # and 1500 FPE for 350-500# and +3K for dangerous game. As minimums.

I have seen the advantage time and again that diameter combined with weight has. Speed has its uses, but when I need to know with out a shadow of a doubt I'll choose large diameter and heavy weight.

CW

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Swampdog likes this.
  44. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I've shot Hawaiian feral goats, and Black Buck Antelope with my 357 mag Trapper (16" barrel) with great success using both 160 grain Speer semi-jacketed, and Winchester 158 grain Jacketed Soft Points. I have a box of hardcast 180 grain semi-wadcutters which would be my first choice for wild pigs though in all honesty a well placed 158 JSPs should get the job done. I prefer to hunt pigs with my 44 magnum though. If I didn't have this option I would not hesitate popping a pig with my 357 magnum.

Mitch Ray and Guy like this.
  45. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have no doubt about the 357 mag's capability but I only like it if it's in a rifle that is light weight, like the 5 1/2 lb Ruger 357/77 or Rossi 92.

If I'm willing to carry a heavier rifle I think the cartridge needs to be proportionally more capable.

46. Mitch Ray

Mitch Ray Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is good stuff. Hunting is inherently full of unknowns so making a good shot and learning how to track are essential skills. I often pass up shots, especially with my bow because of that. Critters, especially wounded ones, don't always do what I expect.

To the OP, .357 is a great cartridge with a wide selection of excellent cartridges and bullet types. I imagine if you do your part, it will work just fine.

RockinU likes this.
  47. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    .357 carbines are lightweight in general, but there are exceptions. 24" octagon barrels and full magazines tend to make them heavier and less handy.

top to bottom: 1982 vintage (pre-safety) 1894c, 1894CP, 2009 vintage 1894c, and Browning 1885 Low Wall Traditional Hunter all in .357.

Attached Files:

hunter63 likes this.
  48. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    The original poster here is in Georgia (eastern Europe) and not in the USA, so his choices of ammunition are not definitely different than ours. Rossi's have a 1-30" rifling twist vs the 1-16" in Marlins, so less apt to be happy with heavy bullets. 158s should be fine.