3rd ANNUAL "Winter" Dirt Time In TN BCUSA Meet Jan 25th-28th (Planning Thread)

Discussion in 'Events' started by T. Pollock, Aug 28, 2017.

1. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    This is an excellent plan, basically same as me. It was a little chilly on Sunday morning last year, 19 or 20* IIRC.

2. Luzster

Luzster They call me... Bucky. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    By the way @T. Pollock what kind of cell coverage is there at the site? I mean, there's going to be trade blankets galore so you know, have to be able to get on to pay pal and everything.... :dblthumb:

Park Swan, Broke, TN_Woodman and 3 others like this.
  3. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Maps & Directions:

There will be big (yellow with black lettering) signs posted on the highway at the entrance to the access road that simply say BCUSA.
    Compliments of my friend @Broke and his wife.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...tn-planning-thread.179132/page-2#post-3072208

This video is unlisted so you won't see it on my YT channel but you can click on it here and watch it. If all you care to see is how to get into camp from the gate you can start watching at 9:00, that's where I pull into the access rd.

If any of you fellas would like to exchange phone numbers so you can call in case you have trouble finding your way in just shoot me a PM. If you try to call and don't get me send a text as sometimes a text will go through when a call won't with a poor signal.

Please remember to fasten the cable back across the access road after entering. There is a lock on the cable but the cable won't be locked it'll just be hooked.
    Sadly we have to keep the cable across to keep people from going in there and dumping trash or other stupid stuff.

When you get out of you vehicle at the property be sure to watch out for opossum/armadillo holes... they're all over the place down there.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Park Swan, Broke, TN_Woodman and 2 others like this.
  4. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Spotty at best at the campsite depending on your provider. You only have to drive about a mile up the road to get a decent signal though.

Broke, TN_Woodman, Hoof and 1 other person like this.
  5. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I would ask that everyone please read the meetup guidelines found in post #2, I've made a change or two since I originally posted them so if you've already read them please do so again.

Some of the questions that have been asked are covered in the guidelines so I know not everyone has read them.

For everyone's convenience here's a link.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...5th-28th-planning-thread.205149/#post-3472253

As mentioned before through all the meets I've hosted I've only had one serious safety issue (firearms related). Those that were there will tell you that I dealt with it very quickly! That forum member left the meet and was kindly asked not to come back. I don't want to put off a bad vibe here, I just want everyone to be assured that your personal safety while my guest is my #1 priority.

ETA: To hopefully lighten things back up a bit after having to make that comment... unless you do something TOTALLY STUPID you have absolutely nothing to worry about. :dblthumb:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Broke, TN_Woodman, Hoof and 2 others like this.
  6. nograveconcern

nograveconcern Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    In that case, make sure to park the crappers where reception is best. Need a good spot to mull important decisions over.

7. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    cold weather hammock tips - based on my personal experience, YMMV (I'm a furnace)
    layer of reflectix under a pad that's wider than you're used to using (it sucks when your shoulder slides off the pad in the middle of the night when it's cold out)
    wool blanket (or 2) actually makes a decent alternative to a pad - and they wrap around you.
    sleeping bags sleep about 10* cooler than their rating in a hammock (another vote for blankets)
    a poncho liner (or thin wool blanket) over the top also adds a lot of heat - run a secondary ridgeline under the tarp and drape the poncho liner over that so it forms a second tent -- this adds 10* to the temps inside your nest.
    tarp is a must -- make sure the edges of the tarp are lower than your butt - otherwise, it may get wind chilled
    fleece is your friend -- I sleep in a pair of mil-surp fleece bibs and a 1/4 zip -- this soaks up overnight sweat and helps keep the bag dry over several days of sleeping.
    I also wear a hat with a bill and ear flaps -- ear flaps help keep my ears warm, the bill of the cap keeps me from feeling smothered when I burrow extra deep at 4 AM after the wind shifts and the temps drop.

don't drink anything an hour or 3 before bed -- and take a leak before you get in the hammock.

Fat Old Man, Broke, fifthof9 and 5 others like this.
  8. Ridgerunner84

Ridgerunner84 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a heck of a time! I highly doubt I can get away from work on such short notice, but if a miracle happens I'll be there, haha

9. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    We'd enjoy having you, the meets are always a blast!

Broke, fifthof9, blind & lost and 2 others like this.
  10. Chili

Chili Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I was able to get spotty signal over by the underpass last year but ended up driving up the road a little to avoid the frustrating: "Can you hear me now". :p That was with Verizon.

As for the hammock - I use a self-inflating pad (including last year at this event) and it works fine. The trick is getting it to stay in place. I have double layer hammocks for that reason. Before moving to the double layer I would just put the sleep pad inside my sleeping bag so I didn't have to worry about it's position.

Broke and T. Pollock like this.
  11. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Extended forecast from accuweather.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  12. Chili

Blog Posts:
    Just a quick unsolicited attendance update; I'm at about 50/50 on if I will be able to make it, and probably won't know for sure until about a week out. In addition to my initial challenge with work, my parents are moving to Waco (from CA) and tentative closing on their new home is 1/31. I have a standing offer to help them coordinate all that, as needed, which could bite me in the butt. The only foreseeable conflict there is that they may need me to drive down and do a pre-closing inspection, which would be that weekend.

I'm hopeful, at least! I had to miss out on the Hill Country Rendezvous last minute, and canceled both trips I had planned to Big Bend this fall, so I am really hoping I can at least get 2018 started right!

13. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Sure hope you can make it bud, it was great meeting you and sharing some dirt time last year!

Broke, fifthof9, Hoof and 2 others like this.
  14. Chili

Blog Posts:
    Great stuff here! It was less typing for me to just add a little to yours! :p

• Yes on reflectix! My pad is wide enough that I haven't had the shoulder problem, but that was why I started carrying a piece of reflectix, and use it all of the time for other stuff now.
    • Sleeping bags - Yeah, I agree that you need a little more bag for the same temp in a hammock vs tent. You will probably be good with the 20* bag but I would also bring something to supplement it. For me it's either a MSS patrol bag or a Poncho Liner. Not for hiking in, of course. :p As an alternative, I often also bring a good set of thermals, extra thick wool socks just for sleeping, and a balaclava in lieu of the extra bag or woobie.
    • Tarp - Also, if you are able, determine which way the wind will be blowing and select your trees and position your lay and tarp accordingly. I keep the windy side lower, obvioulsy, but then can lift the other side some so I can see out. I prefer 'porch' mode all of the time weather permitting.
    • Hat - Agree, I wear either a thick wool beanie / toboggan / toque or a balaclava, or both, depending on the weather.
    • Drinks - Yes! That said, if you feel like you have to go at some point, just get up and get it over with. Holding your pee will actually make you colder as your body works to keep that urine warm.
    • And though you don't want to drink, eating something with fat or protein will help keep you warm while you sleep.

Fat Old Man, Broke, 1066vik and 2 others like this.
  15. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Looks like the sever cold snap we've had is beginning to break so I'll be going out to the property to begin working on our campsite soon. I'll likely move it from where we were last year (closer to the field & possibly further from the bridge) but it will still be within sight of last years camp and easy to find once you get to the parking area. The way I had it set up last year with everyone being able to pull right into camp was really handy but I'm not sure I'll be able to do that this time. I'll try if possible though to have a path where we can pull in to unload and then pull back out to the parking area for everyone to park. Not a lot of time left to work though especially between days of rain when it's too wet to get the tractor in there to work. We are bushcrafters though so we'll make it work. :dblthumb:

Looking forward to seeing all my old friends and making bunches of new friends!
    Tim

16. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Ice fishing on the river?:4:

Broke, Hoof and T. Pollock like this.
  17. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Don't over do it, there's already trees and dirt....we're good. OR, bring in the A-10 Warthog for a new path.

Fat Old Man, Broke, Hoof and 2 others like this.
  18. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    LOL Thanks brother!
    All the meets I've hosted I guess I've kinda made it easy for folks to be lazy by being able to pull right into camp to unload and setup :3:... but I do love to accommodate so I'll do the best I can. :)

My brother said I was more than welcome to use his UTV if I needed it to bring people's gear in, I just hate to borrow things but I will if we need it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Fat Old Man, Broke, Hoof and 2 others like this.
  19. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb:

Broke and Hoof like this.
  20. Chili

Blog Posts:
    Awe man, I was hoping to get the same parking spot / trees I was in last year. It was perfect and my Jeep is set up to camp out of (just not sleep in). :p

21. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    You can still have that spot or any other you'd like my friend. :dblthumb: It just might be a little further from the campfire this time. :)

Broke, blind & lost and Hoof like this.
  22. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm bowing out of this one -- the cold snap of the past few weeks has me too far behind on several tasks that I really need to get done.

Fat Old Man and Broke like this.
  23. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that brother I was sure looking forward to meeting you. I understand though, this cold weather has got me behind on everything.

Broke and blind & lost like this.
  24. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am a solid I dint know at this point. It all depends on what happens at work. Sucks to be so wishy-washy but such is life.

25. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I understand bud, as much as we'd like for life to stop for our bushcraft activities sometimes it just doesn't happen that way.
    I'll still keep my fingers crossed though! :dblthumb:

blind & lost, Hoof and Broke like this.
  26. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    Leave was appoved! See y'all on the 25th!!

27. 138zacvining

138zacvining Feral bearded man Hobbyist Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    How far of a drive is it from area code 35160 ?

28. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    195 miles, 3 hours 21 minutes.

29. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bud!

30. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Come join us if you can, the meets are one heck of a good time and a great opportunity to meet many fellow forum members.

Fat Old Man, fifthof9, Hoof and 2 others like this.
  31. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Two weeks away guys. :)

I've tried to get in touch with @tennecedar but haven't been able to reach him. He normally oversees the shooting range for me and helps provide targets. I only have 4 steel targets ( 2-6x6 & 2-4x4 IIRC) and they are only suitable for handgun rounds, so if any of you have some you'd like to bring (especially bigger ones for rifle rounds) that'd be great. Also if any of you need to do any zeroing in you may want to bring you some appropriate targets for that.

Thanks,
    Tim

32. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I want to come! I need to discuss with wife and figure out if I can split up my shop time properly. Should only be a 12hr drive :D

Peter M, Fat Old Man, Hoof and 3 others like this.
  33. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Come on down bud, we'd love to have you join us! If you get to make it be sure to bring product with you if you have some available. All BCUSA Vendors/Hobbyists are more than welcome to display their goods.

34. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    you're up early - or late - tim (2:57 a.m.) ... :)

blind & lost, T. Pollock and Hoof like this.
  35. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    LOL yeah sometimes days and nights get a little confusing for me. Had 2 narc naps yesterday so I was up late last night.

36. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I added the below to the details post to clarify a couple of things guys.

The meet is open to all BCUSA members.
    Small game hunting and fishing are allowed during the meet as long as you have the license to do so legally.

PS. If any of you guys that have been to the meets can think of anything I've failed to mention that would be helpful please let me know.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    blind & lost, Fat Old Man and Broke like this.
  37. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    To help insure all of BCUSA understands all members are welcome here's a map with the states marked that I know members are tentative or positive attending from.
    Of course everything is bigger in TX so it had to have a big star. :dblthumb:

If you're attending and I missed your state please let me know and I'll mark it on the map. I'm not 100% on where everyone that has RSVP is from so I may have missed some.

US Map 2.jpg

My favorite photo from prior meets. I can't remember who took this photo but I love it!

DSC00218_zpsrtao84l9.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 11:17 PM
  38. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    To help ramp up the excitement and to show those that haven't been to one of my meets yet some of the area/scenery here's some video from prior meets and links to the threads containing photos from those meets.

All the photos of the 2015 meet were lost in the Photobucket debacle. :(

Many of the fall 2016 were lost but still quite a few in the thread.
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/the-2016-second-annual-fall-dirt-time-in-tn-meet.182321/

Winter 2017 Meet.
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...winter-bushcraft-meet-in-photos-video.191800/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 1:41 PM
  39. Peter M

Peter M Plant Nerd and Scatologist Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Cant wait! And im bringing a friend who is from South Carolina, to add to the list! He has made an account a few weeks ago, but hes not active. Mostly joined for Bushclass.

40. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Cool, look forward to meeting you guys and sharing some dirt time!

41. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Got SC added to the map. :)
    I was thinking we had someone coming from VA or WV but can't remember who it was.

It's sooooo cool to have this many bushcrafters coming from all over the middle and eastern US to share a campfire and friendships!!!

42. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    So, youngest one just got diagnosed with that flu that's going around. I have to take this week off cuz she can't go to school. If she ain't better by next week I won't be making it.

blind & lost, Hoof and T. Pollock like this.
  43. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I understand bud. There's a lot of the flu going around here as well. Take good care of the little one and hope she gets feeling better soon.

blind & lost and Hoof like this.
  44. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a package of 5, 23"x35" green silhouette paper targets I'll be bringing. See you in 10 days.

Hoof and T. Pollock like this.
  45. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Awesome, thanks brother! See ya in the woods. :dblthumb:

Hoof likes this.