5' X 5' tarp

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by mtwarden, Jul 15, 2017.

1. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    this is a little tarp I had built for keeping in a daypack or an extremely lightweight overnighter w/ a good forecast

5'x5' 30 D silnylon w/ 8 tie outs, 4.3 oz

5x5 is small, but in a plow/diamond pitch you get a 7' length on the diagonal, so you'll get some protection- this will be combined w/ a SOL Escape Lite bivy, which is very water resistant

I have several different lengths of dyneema tie outs that will give several options for pitches (I can combine guys to increase length if needed, to including using a tree

pitched high w/ trekking poles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pitched lower w/ a single trekking pole (collapsed)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with four MSR mini groundhog stakes, ~ 30' of guy line- 6.2 oz and not a lot bigger than a bottle of beer :4:

[​IMG]

MrFixIt, Hunt4lyf, ArmyMacE and 25 others like this.
  2. gohammergo

gohammergo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice stuff! Love the color too. You won't lose that out on the trail. :)

3. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have a similar tarp I use when hunting. It's really just for emergency or bad weather. I if it starts raining heavy I can put it up for protection and I'm still very visible to other hunters. Important thing here in PA where we measure density by hunters per acre. ;) These small tarps have tremendous utility.

MrFixIt, Lichen, central joe and 3 others like this.
  4. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    yeah- these are so small and light, any daypack should have room

I've also set them up as a lean-to pitch w/ two trekking poles- gives you a nice weather break for glassing, eating lunch, etc

5. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    While I can understand the logic behind striving for less weight and bulk in any pack, be it a day bag or one used for extended trips, Having had to face age and some medical issues that forced me to accept that I either had to lighten my load or quit enjoying this thing we refer to as Bushcraft, but there comes a point at where saving a few ounces of weight at the sacrifice of safety or comfort needs to be well thought out.
    Over the last year or so I've changed from a backpack to a shoulder bag for my Day Bag, I've done away with redundancy of gear, replaced my Stainless cook kit with Titanium, reduced the size of my first aid kit, changed my heavier plastic tent stakes with lighter aircraft aluminum stakes, as well as other small changes that when taken in total reduced my pack weight from about 25 pounds down to about 12 pounds.
    But while I cut out weight and some bulk I didn't cut any essential or comfort items, one piece of gear that I always carry with me is a tarp, for my day bag that's either a 5'x 7' MEST or a 5'x 7' poncho, both from BCUSA, the difference in weight between the two is only a few ounces with the poncho being heavier.
    IMHO 5'x 7' is the minimum that I would go with, I can appreciate your use of the plow point set up to gain the seven feet in length, but I believe that a 5'x 7' tarp is much more versatile than a 5'x 5', and the few ounces of weight saved isn't worth the sacrifice.

All that said I can appreciate where you're coming from, if I were a trail runner I'd probably be thinking of cutting a couple of feet off my MEST, but I'm just your average old guy easy walking through the woods looking for a nice place to set up my tarp, build a fire and put the coffee on. ;)

MrFixIt, rsnurkle, backlasher and 7 others like this.
  6. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As a man of mature years I agree with you. 5x7 is about as small as I want to go. Not saying that 5x5 wouldn't be a welcome size over nothing by nothing but even the poncho size is on the verge of being too small.
    I've never been a runner so my load has never been micro grams oriented however I'm now to the point where I pay a lot of attention to what I really DONT need in a simple day kit.

MrFixIt, rsnurkle, backlasher and 5 others like this.
  7. t.darrah

t.darrah Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice! My choice in a UL tarp is the cuben version of the MLD Monk Tarp ( mine is custom made using black cuben), at 5.5 oz and 5' x 9' it provides good coverage while still being ultra lite.

8. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think that might be a BIT too small for my needs but a 5x7 foot tarp might be the perfect emergency size. Lots of ideas here, thanks folks!

9. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I like it. Like the ESEE survival panel minus the snaps. 5' x 5' doesn't sound like much but when paired with a (waterproof) survival bivy it is more than sufficient. I can tell you that in bad weather any part of me sticking out from under a small tarp will be inside the bivy.

This is similar to the argument for compact carry guns: the easier it is to carry, the more likely you'll actually carry it, thus more likely to have it when needed.

I set up little kits like this, each based around a MEST. I am too cheap/poor for a silnylon or SAR MEST or poncho (or the ESEE panel) so mine use a regular 9 ounce 5' x 7' MEST. The kits fit well in the bottom of a Tarahumara pack or the main section of my Finn gas mask bag, in both cases adding "floor structure" to the pack.

This started out as a survival kit but it was so useful I put together a second one so I could use one for a basic kit and still have a complete survival set. This strikes me as a good evolution of my survival set, to make it easier to move from carrying in a pack to carrying in pockets.

MrFixIt, M.Hatfield, rsnurkle and 2 others like this.
  10. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    yeah 5x5' is definitely on the small side, but as aaronu points out this will be used in conjunction with a very water resistant bivy

not a shelter I would take on a multi-day trip, but for a day hike that happened to turn into a overnighter- I think it will work just fine

MrFixIt, M.Hatfield, rsnurkle and 2 others like this.
  11. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Tiny Elvis approves!
    :)

rsnurkle and mtwarden like this.