6.5 Creedmoor -- need advice

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by TrespassersWilliam, Feb 11, 2019.

1. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am interested in this round for it's terminal ballistics and low recoil.

Practically speaking, it will serve as a deer rifle for my daughter. ... but I would like the rifle to be equally as capable as the round. Informal target shooting at long distances -- just for fun.

What are the rifles priced around $400 lacking? What are you getting out of the $1500 Ruger precision (12 lbs), etc.?

Is it possible to find a light bolt gun (5-7lbs) that can perform up to the rounds ability? ...or am I asking to eat my cake and eat it too?

Part of the reason for choosing a bolt gun would be reduced weight. If the target rifles are approaching the weight of a large frame AR... I might just buy a complete upper instead.

central joe, 45jack and 08H3 like this.
  2. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I too find this round very interesting.

3. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I've got a Savage Axis 2 heavy barrel 6.5cm that's way more accurate than I am. Factory Hornady black ammo shoots 1/4" groups at 150 yards, granted it's a little heavier than you mentioned, they do make a medium contour barrel that Walmart Carrie's for under $400 & it's a tack driver too! Had one and only sold it cause this one is threaded and at the time I needed the money.

My 6.5 is my go to deer rifle and elk within 450.....

This (inital sight in)
    20180930_142716.jpg

Led to this
    20181117_155438.jpg

4. Dubhelix

Dubhelix Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I’ve been a .308 guy for years, but if I was shooting past 300 yards, I’d look hard at 6.5C.

For a hunting rifle, downloaded .308,,7mm-08, etc work just fine. The improvements in BC just aren’t that relevant at hunting distances.

My last .308 was a Remington 5R. Shot bug-holes. Heavier than necessary. Way over $400.

A Rem model 7 in 7mm-08 or 6.5C might be perfect.

As it is, I get great performance in deer with 6.8spc2 with the small frame AR platform.

Good luck. You really can’t go too wrong. There’s lots of good choices out there.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 2:25 PM
  5. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    ruger american rifle in 6.5 creed. i have the predator model, which is a little heavier than the standard. killed four deer with it this season, superb performance with the hornady eld-x 143-grain. ruger makes a standard and a compact in the chambering. the compact has a 20-inch barrel and shorter butt stock, and weighs 6.1 pounds. excellent trigger, that is adjustable down to 3 pounds. very, very difficult to beat this rifle for the money.

6. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It's a neat chambering, and the hottest one going. Will it do anything that 6.5x55 or .257 Roberts won't, or .260? Probably not, but at least ammo is widely available now.

IMO there's no reason to drop a grand on a rifle until you know WHY you are dropping a grand. Will your daughter need the lightest weight, the most adjustable trigger, the best blueprinted and squared action? Unlikely.

The "entry level" rifles are made to a price point, and generally that means the stock is the first compromise. Is that a problem? Not necessarily, because you can always upgrade later if you love your action and barrel. It's probably not worth it, but it's possible. They still shoot extremely well.

The biggest limitation to good shooting is generally the shooter, not the ammo nor the equipment, assuming that good quality gear and components are used.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    FreeMe, 556mp, central joe and 3 others like this.
  7. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What Paul Foreman said above. My experience with the RAR in 6.5 mirrors his.
    Several friends have the Ruger Precision and use it out to 1000 yards but they do not lug them around to hunt.

Regards,

ezra

Edit: as an aside, the Ruger Precision is basically a Ruger American with a heavier barrel and a metal chassis...the std RAR is very accurate and shoots well above its price point.

8. Dancing Bear

Dancing Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Paul Foreman alredy said it , in my opinion. If for a daughter of mine I would go to the RAR Compact at your price point. https://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleCompact/specSheets/16980.html I believe it would easily meet your requirements. If you want more weight, a longer stock, and likely a bit more accuracy as an earlier poster said the Predator version might work.

The rifles around $400.00 lack : 1) Not Stainless Steel, 2) Do not have iron sights,

The Ruger Precision doesn't give a lot for shooting inside 300 yards, It is way heavier than I like in a hunting rifle, triple the price, etc.

If you want to spend a bit more, I would go to a Tikka or a Kimber 84M Hunter, I own a Hunter and really like it. I did have ironsights installed. .

If I wanted stainless and iron sights I would go to the 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger GSR, change the stock to a Zytel one, take off the muzzle brake and shorten the length of pull via the stock inserts.
    I just did that with an 18.7"-ss-.308. It worked great.

Have fun.

9. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    5r for the win!! Love my Gen2

10. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Kimber. Hunter model I believe. Very light, very accurate. About 900.00. I couldn't be happier with it.

11. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Woods Bum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Only thing I would add is to consider the Mossberg Patriot youth model as well. Is it better than the Ruger American or is the Ruger better than the Mossberg? I don't know, but I have a Patriot combo with Vortex scope that is very accurate. The youth model is available in Walnut as well.

12. ARPILOT

ARPILOT Scout

Blog Posts:
    I built a 6.5C in an AR10 platform, I realize this isn't really what you're looking for but I am a huge fan of the cartridge so I felt compelled to chime in lol. if you find yourself in need of load data I would be happy to share my results etc.
    As far as a more budget friendly bolt gun, Savage all day long !

13. Taz575

Taz575 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Look at the 6.5 Grendel. Excellent round for deer out to 300 yds or more, 500+ for target shooting. It has even lower recoil than the 6.5 Creedmoor. Howa makes rifles around 6.5 pounds in weight. Just as accurate as the Creedmoor. I have an AR with a 20" 6.5 Grendel upper and a Howa Mini 1500 in 6.5 Grendel, great rifles. I also have a CZ 527 MTR in 6.5 Grendel on order. My Savage 10T 6.5 Creedmoor has been in the safe since I got the Grendels!

14. Paul Foreman

Blog Posts:
    i like the savage 110-112 series, too, but it is WAY too big around the middle for my current tastes ...

15. mjfruth

mjfruth Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A little over budget, but how about a Savage MOD 11 6.5 TROPHY HUNTER XP?

I have one in .243 for my deer rifle, and I love it. Way more accurate than I am. I'm seeing a price of about $500 bundled with a Nikon scope. I think I got in under $400 around Christmas during a sale and after a rebate that was offered at that time. Roughly 7 lbs.

16. Malpaso

Malpaso Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Tikka T3X. Sub MOA right out of the box. There are 21 pages on it over at Snipershide. I have one, but in .223

17. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    There is a good number of excellent choices in the sub 509$ group.

T/C Compus, Savage’s, Ruger Americans, Winchester XPB, Remington 783 & the Mossberg Isnt allot more.

I have a few americans and the darn things shoot!!

I looked hard at the Creedmoor, I have owned a Sweede for many years and its simply a new version of the same. I have a 257 Bob I have been building or a few years thats in the same league.

I have Grendels. Dont know how set you are in the Creed, but the lil Grendel is offered in some of the same guns with 80% of the creeds ballistics and even less recoil and better weight savings. The Grendels tradgectory is nearly identical to the venerable 308. No it dosent have the power of the Creed or the 308, but it brings the excellent 264 bullets to a velocity plenty enought for pushing to 300 Ish yards on any derr species. I dont consider it a elk caliber but I also dont feel the Creed is. I have a 6.5/06 that beats the creed by a good 20% and I wouldnt shoot a elk with that If I had a choice either.
    If you look at a grendel, To the above list of rifles you can add a Howa Mini and very nice and lightbweight rifle in Grendel. Also if you consider the Grendel, you can also consider a AR again as weight will be much less then the overweight AR10 needed for the Creed.

I was looking at two Creedmoor rifles. A Mossberg MVP Long Range AND A Smith & Wesson Chassis rifle built with a T/C Compus action and barrel. Bith 1000$ guns and heavier then your wants. But the T/C Compass has many features I feel are needed on a hunting gun. The biggest for me is a bolt that will lock with the safety. If you walk at all with a bolt gun slung on your shoulder you will understand. I love my americans but REALLY DISLIKE this flaw. I know its a cheap Gun and additions like this drive up costs. But the Compass has it and its no more money than the American.
    The downfall of all these sub 500$ guns is cheap plastic stocks. Some are lil better then others & all save weight but most kinda stink.

I like to comb uTube for evaluations on a given item. Sure your just getting that posters opinions. But you can see the rifle in action and make some of your own opinions based on a group of videos. Then trek to shops and get those choices in your hands and make better knoledge driven choices.

Good luck

CW

central joe, lmc8541, FreeMe and 5 others like this.
  18. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    If lightweight and low recoil is what your after, I'd look at a .243.
    You can get the Ruger Hawkeye Compact in stainless, in .243, and it only weighs 6.2lbs. Under $800 too.
    Less recoil than a 6.5c, and will drop deer dead just fine.
    6.5c is a great round, but for most shooters and hunters, its advantages are never seen.

19. Paul Foreman

Blog Posts:
    CW, i don't like a non-locking bolt, either. that's the only fault i see with the RAR. i might put me a stout rubber band on it for toting. gonna have to look at the compass. i adore my RAR predator, but it is a blind/shooting house tool. i'd like to have a very compact 6.5 creed for the woods hunting that i favor, despite great success on open fields ...

20. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have never shot a 6.5 but back in the day when i was hunting with a contnder pistol the 6.5 jdj was a caliber i always wanted but since I had a 7x30jdj I never could bring myself to buy the 6.5.

What I want to comment on is I am also along the lines of CW and feel the 6.5s are a little light for elk hunting. Most the elk hunters around my area are either hunting with 180 grain bullets out of 30 caliber rifles or 338 win mags. Elk are huge tough animals, a completely differnt legue of animal compard to a Whitetail. Sure the Creedmore would work with ideal shots on elk but if the bull of a lifetime is standing 80 yards away in the dark timber quatering strongly away i would want more gun.

21. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    Like Taz and I suggest.
    At least give a look see into the Grendel.

Does everything a Creed can out to 300+. A distance MOST folks call maximum.

As someone else mentioned the benifits the Creed bring go unused by a vast precentage of hunters. EVEN THEN, Its atributes get clouded and mainly are ON PAPER/STEEL at extended ranges.

Remember NOT ONE SINGLE THING that the Creed does, that the hundred year old Sweed hasent BEEN DOING.

Its all about perspective and how you choose to “see” it. If you want it because GREAT, just know its allot of hype built on a very good petegree

22. Paul Foreman

Blog Posts:
    i went with the creed precisely because it duplicates the swede in a short action round, in rifles properly twisted, but with ammunition that is readily available, and in great variety. i no longer hand load. if i did, i'd have a tikka in the swede, for old time's sake ...

23. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Woods Bum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This, IMO, hits the nail on the head in so many ways!

24. Xackman

Xackman Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    6.5 CM all the way! I got the Ruger Precision Rifle and zeroed it in at 300 yards, 20 for 20 on a 16 inch gong,..... a little excessive and i will probably bring that down to 200 yards BUT it shoots so flat with minimal recoil. I got the Gen 1 (with an after market muzzle break) but the gen 2 and newer come with muzzle breaks which help with the tiny recoil.

25. HoustonB77

HoustonB77 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The real question is what is long rang to you? 300, 500, 1,000, 1,500 yards? I've been playing in the long range game for a couple years now and no $400 gun will be a true LR rifle. If you want first round hits at 1,000 you have to pay to play. The cheapest I would go on a true 1,000 yard gun would be a Tikka CTR or a Savage LRP.

All that being said if 300-500 yards is long range for you a Ruger American will serve you very well.

Also light weight and low recoil generally don't go hand and hand. Heavier gun equals less recoil. Most of the PRS rifles are in the 25 pound range. The extra weight allows them to spot hits and get back on target sooner. I realize that a big heavy gun might not be an option if you have to travel on foot when you are hunting. Everything is a trade off. I tried hunting with my LR 260 and it was just to long/heavy with my can. I eventually bought a 20 inch CTR with the sole purpose of hunting in mind. The gun still weighs close to 15 lbs though and I can shoot it to 500 easy on deer sized game and further on steel targets.

26. HoustonB77

HoustonB77 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    20181203_113906.jpg
    This is my hunting stick.
    IMG_9861.jpg
    This is my LR gun.

27. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    You’re all over the place!

What’s the rifles purpose? It’s a hunting rifle for your daughter!

Reaching out to longer distances “for fun” is secondary and something you want.

Both my kids express immediate opinion when I give them a heavier rifle. Dad, can I use the light one??

What is “light-weight”? It’s the lightest weight you can find that still does what it needs to. Not the multiple tasks YOU THINK YOU want, but what it needs to.

This also means changing caliber if necessary.

Same for the scope, of you’re thinking hunting, and long range, you’ll choose a scope that’s heavier than necessary.

Be specific with your purpose and your daughter will end up with a hunting rifle that she’ll enjoy carrying and as a result, enjoy hunting more.

28. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well that's huge then and a caveat that's insurmountable for some.

That popularity, creates the availability of the Creed, knowing it duplicates historically proven rounds makes it a viable choice.

CW

29. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Vendor Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    My local Walmart has savage axis 2’s in stainless for $296 right now.
    I plan on buying one as soon as my income tax return hits the checking account.

30. 556mp

556mp Bushwhacker Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I would skip the heavy target gun for a hunting rifle. I have a compact ruger american in 308, and a heavy barreled remington 700 308 in a chassis. I almost always go for the lightweight and compact ruger american.

6.5 creedmoor, or 243 would be a good pick.

Savage axis is also an accurate rifle for the money. Ruger American, etc.

Depending on the age and build of your kid, a 243 might be better suited, but 6.5 wouldent be a deal breaker ether. I'd stay away from 308, 30-06, 270, etc for a kid in a light weight rifle. And very few kids are going to lug around a 14lb rifle with a heavy barrel like the Ruger Precision.... I dislike carrying my big rifle around and Im a grown boy.

31. 556mp

Blog Posts:
    100% agree.

32. TrespassersWilliam

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the help deciding.

I know! I am cheap. The gun should see use outside of hunting season.

I suppose a 6 lb gun that is accurate to 1000 yards is unrealistic...

This is exactly what I am trying to understand. 6.5CM offers exciting theoretical performance numbers, but if that performance is never realized another, cheaper caliber might suffice.

Truthfully, I want to keep life simple with .223, .308, and one medium sized round.

Perhaps 7mm-08 once I am setup for reloading to modify the recoil somewhat.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    central joe and FreeMe like this.
  33. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Do you already own a .223 and .308?
    .223 with 64-75gr hunting loads is a great deer gun out to 150yds, and a fun target gun out quite a ways farther. Cheap to shoot too.
    The .308 can be loaded down for less recoil. There's even reduced recoil factory loads for .308.
    Either one will work good for your proposed purpose.
    Dont let me talk you out of another rifle though! :dblthumb:

34. TrespassersWilliam

Blog Posts:
    Yes. Thanks, I wasn't aware of the low recoil factory loads. Thanks!

central joe, Cwlongshot and Birdman like this.
  35. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I’m cheap too!

Did you consider the Ruger American Ranch rifle?

I can appreciate the simplicity of keeping few calibers! For rifles I reduced them to 223, 30-30, and 357 mag.

The only exception I’m open to is the new 350 Legend. But that would be a future decision to replace 223, and only after I run out of 223 ammo.

36. Mikem

Mikem Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ruger American Rifle predator model mid weight barrel. Lightweight, accurate, great trigger and totally usable. 243 would be my recommendation. Not much of a diff to a 6.5 cred in performance for whitetail and the ammo options are better and lower cost plus it’s findable at just about every Ammo source (the mom and pop gas and grocery when you realize you need a box in no where places).

The Ruger compact model is another option, price point is more.

37. TrespassersWilliam

Blog Posts:
    OTOH... 7.62x39 is a cheap, low recoil .308 that isn't going anywhere.

I know it is underpowered compared to the other rifle rounds... but strict utility and cost this seems most practical. More opportunities to practice with cheap ammo too.

38. Paul Foreman

Blog Posts:
    for a woods rifle, you don't need anything else for whitetails ...

39. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here si a review of the budget Compas 6.5 Creedmoor.

40. 556mp

Blog Posts:
    cz 527 youth carbine in 7.62x39 would be a great option as well.

41. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    A friend's wife shoots a Savage Light Hunter in Creed, and reports tiny groups (most holes touching) at 100. I have the same rifle in .308, and get the same results. Right at 7 lbs with scope and strap.

If you already have .223 and .308, a .243 or 7mm-08 would split the difference. .243 ammo is usually one the most common around here.

42. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    My Grendel shot this just last weekend. It shot sub 1/2 MOA groups with a number of different loads. Its a 22" sub 8# rifle that costs about 450$.

[​IMG]

Its amazing to me that so many companies are making sub MOA rifles for sub 500$...

CW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 3:19 PM
  43. lmc8541

lmc8541 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have the T/C in 6.5 CM. 3 shots touching groups with Hornady Black @ 100m. Very little recoil. I put a Nikon P-308 on here and used Nikons Spot On app on my Iphone to recalibrate the drop points on the scope for 6.5 CM. I paid $249 for the T/C and got the display model P-308 out the door for $411 @ academy. It will do whatever job you require of it. Light weight, threaded barrel, 5-round rotary mag feeds flawlessly. The T/C has the best feeling factory stock out of the Ruger, Savage or the Remington 783 which also shoots well but the magazines are crap.

44. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Those friends I mentioned (and myself) only do five shot groups. Just sayin'.....:D

45. lmc8541

lmc8541 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Barrel on the T/C is pretty thin but has 5R rifling so it will string after 3 but if you can't kill it with 3 , you should go home.;)

BTW, I like that Grendel round almost as much as the 6.5 x 55 or the 7.5 x 55.

46. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    Your a funny man FM. Show us this rule where 3 is wrong and 5 is required, cause I missed it. ;)

If you like 5 shot groups, Lets see your five shot groups. :p:p:p

CW

TrespassersWilliam likes this.
  47. TrespassersWilliam

Blog Posts:

On its way home, thanks! My first rifle had a walnut stock. My daughter's first rifle will too.

48. 556mp

Blog Posts:
    Famtastic! May you and her enjoy many safe and memorable years in the field with it and eachother!

49. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I quit saving my targets a long time ago, but I still take notes. Give me a minute, and I'll go in the shop and poke some holes in a fresh target and take a picture. ;)

Xackman and TrespassersWilliam like this.
  50. Mikem

Mikem Scout

Blog Posts:
    7.62x39 in CZ is a great choice!

TrespassersWilliam likes this.