6 person+ tent recommendations?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by CountryRoots, Jul 17, 2019.

1. CountryRoots

CountryRoots As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

189CD9C4-3944-4070-8AC8-C68C3AA5DAFD.jpeg
    My wife and I have been blessed with 4 kids... we recently went camping and thank God my eldest slept in his mil surplus pup tent! We found out quickly that our four person tent from a garage sale isn’t really going to cut it with our family size and, for safety, I’d like to keep everyone in one tent.

What recommendations do you guys have for a tent? The $600 one is a little out of reach, unless the grandparents really want to pitch in (big time).

2. Jack of the Wood

Jack of the Wood Scout

3. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Lots of multi-room tents over on Amazon. They wouldn't be the best in the rain but with that tarp in your picture strung up like that you should be able to stay dry.

A room for the girls, a room for the boys, a room for mom and dad, and a common area.

4. Jason in ID

Jason in ID Tracker

If you are using it for car camping, don’t limit yourself to a six man tent if there are six of you. My family is the same size and we have outgrown our six man tent and my kids are still all under 7. Look at getting an eight or ten man tent. You will appreciate the extra space and as your kids grow you won’t get overcrowded again.

I really like the six man tent we have now and plan to buy a larger version soon. It’s an ozark trails instant tent from Walmart. I would recommend getting an instant tent because of how fast and easy it is to set up and take down. I can go from opening the bag to putting in stakes in about 90 seconds. We took it out a couple weeks ago and got rained on pretty heavy and stayed dry. I know Walmart brand stuff usually isn’t too of the line but it has worked great for us.

5. LJHfrstr

LJHfrstr Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

I've done a lot of research on this recently (have 4 kids with 1 on the way) and will be going with one of the NTK Arizona tents. For 4th of July weekend my wife and a few of the kids were sleeping in an 8 person tent while my daughter and I were in our own Hammocks. The sky opened up Friday night - probably the worst storm I've camped in - and the 15 year old tent did NOT perform well. We realized we needed an upgrade/new tent.

From my research, this is by far the best bang for your buck and it gets rock-solid reviews on both the NTK website and Amazon. Many reviewers have also noted that an issues with the tent were quickly resolved by NTK customer service, which I always like to hear.

9/10 person:
    https://ntkglobal.com/products/arizona-gt-9-10-tent/ (https://www.amazon.com/NTK-Arizona-...a&qid=1563380706&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1)

11/12 person:
    https://ntkglobal.com/products/arizona-gt-11-12/ ( https://www.amazon.com/NTK-Arizona-...a&qid=1563380712&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1 )

As with any tent, the "person count" is inflated. Jury's still out, but with kid #5 on the way we're leaning toward the 11/12.

Robert Schmidt, Bobsdock and Kona9 like this.
  6. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

I like my Kodiak canvas 10x14...but it is certainly pushing the budget that you listed

Metaldog, Robert Schmidt and Bobsdock like this.
  7. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Those look great. I bought a 6 person Mountainsmith tent a couple of years ago as my wife and daughter wanted to join me and boys at camp and my wife wanted us all in the same tent. It is great, but as they get bigger I can see it getting tight in there. We also have 3 and 2 person tents so I figure when it gets too tight we will separate into two tents. If using cots then factor in needing additional room.

Robert Schmidt and Bobsdock like this.
  8. CountryRoots

CountryRoots As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

I realized that just before I came back to look at this post! You’re exactly right... a6 is too small, especially for a family.

Robert Schmidt and Bobsdock like this.
  9. Big ian

Big ian Scout

FWIW...

I have 2 kids (both little) and we got a Kingdom 6 from REI when we were there last. Unbeknownst to me I walked in when they were having a members only sale, spend over $300 and get 30% off, so I splurged and got all the accessories for less than the tent listed for originally (score!). We've used it a few times and although it works well for us for car camping, it's amazing how much less structural integrity a large fabric structure has compared to a 3 man 3 season dome tent. Even staked out properly it's a bit like a sail , especially when setting up. Also, the (much) larger footprint makes it relatively more difficult to find ideal setup spots, considering space and good drainage, depending on your usual camping destinations.

If I were doing it again and my kids were a little older, I'd consider sticking with 2-3 smaller tents and connecting them with a DIY common awning structure, one that can be staked down and have a zipper door installed. I've considered a conduit structure using these...
    upload_2019-7-18_19-19-52.jpeg

or for fun, building one of these: https://www.ziptiedomes.com/geodesic-shelter-domes/index.htm
    upload_2019-7-18_19-21-57.jpeg

Heck, you can make one of those domes big enough for everybody!

dial1911 and Robert Schmidt like this.
  10. Jean

Jean Guide

I routinely stuff six in a ShangriLa5. Two adults and four kids. Pack'em in tight, they wiggle around less.

dial1911 and Robert Schmidt like this.
  11. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Rusty Hobbyist

I bought a four man tent(or two adults and four kids?)from a department store(too long ago to remember which one)back in 2008 it might've been.Only cost around $200.Have'nt used it lately but I still have it.
    549500_632203213465187_1943486522_n.jpg DSCN0658.JPG DSCN0666.JPG

Robert Schmidt likes this.
  12. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Do you want or need standing height or just sleeping room?
    We are going to go the totally modular route and a combination of tents that can be used all together or as separate units
    But the common feature is going to be a shelter structure that all the tents will meet at. That shelter structure will probably be a Coleman dome or something similar but stronger. So far we have a so-called "4 person tent" that is just big enough for 2 full sized cots as we are old and stiff and can no longer sleep on the floor plus another "8" person tent that can almost fit a proper queen sized bed. Both tents from the same maker and the entry on both is the same height. I like the idea of being out of the rain or sun but still in the open air if all I want to do is read a book and drink coffee.
    Pictures of the new tent that just arrived, the other looks the same but smaller. It was on clearance for $500- which is a lot of money but equal to 5 nights in a cheap hotel

Attached Files:

13. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Here's what I wrote in another thread seeking out a similar tent.

"I can't help much in the way of recommding a tent that fits those parameters. But I do have a few tents and being my perfered shelter of choice (for some reason they aren't very popular around here) I have developed some opinions about them. I've found that a lot of the larger tents tend to be poorly designed for foul weather. I warned a friend about this with his 5 man Coleman tent, he finally admitted that I was right after waking up in a puddle.

Anyway look out for rain flys that don't go down to the floor. A lot of times the flys are completely inadequate for the tent. Keep in mind that just because the tent wall is solid and not mesh does not mean that it's waterproof. The inner tent is ment to breathe and so generally only the floor is waterproof (maybe). If the fly comes short and water hits the inner tent wall chances are it's going to drip inside the tent at the first seam it hits. Check for taped seams on the fly and floor, seal them as needed. The stake loops at the corners of the tent are generally not sealed and act as wicks slowly sucking water into the tent throughout the night. Be sure to seal them and any seams running across the floor as needed.

Here's an example of a large tent with a tall door that has a full coverage fly. Though I still think 4 cots would be a tight squeeze."

I will add that when I said you want the fly to come down to the floor I don't mean tight against the ground, but it should be close and it should overlap the waterproofed floor of the tent which is not to be confused with solid wall panels designed to block wind/drafts and help to trap heat. More recently I watched a very nice family with young kids have to pack up in the middle of the night after coming back I'm guessing from dinner to find their tent soaked. Sitting in my cabin across the way I'd called it out to my friend that it would happen. The tent fly only covered a 3rd of the tent which is common on cheap and large tents I find.

WY_Not and Robert Schmidt like this.
  14. Howie

Howie Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Cabellas outfitter guide series. 8 man size. Holds us two adults. And five kids. With room to spare.
    It's true 4 season. Has withstood 80 mph winds. 1in hail storms. 12 in of snow load. So far everything the Rockies can throw at it. Been a good investment for us

buckfynn, MJGEGB and Robert Schmidt like this.
  15. Robert Schmidt

Robert Schmidt Tracker

Hi All,

I absolutely love Tipis/Lavvus, especially for family camping. Right now my go to is a Helsport Pasvik 4-6, which is perfekt for the 4 of us. There is also a 6-8 Version and loads of other options. The atmosphere of these tents is really nice and cant be compared ton other tens IMO. Obviously, if you want to have private/seperated sleeping rooms, this is not an option. But if you like being together in the tent, this is perfect. My favourites are the canvas Lavvus, but they are quite expensive actually (although absolutely worth it, love my 2p canvas Lavvu). If you cant spend that much (like I couldnt at the time) there are very nice PU versions such as the Helsport, at a very attractive price IMO.

Best Regards,
    Robert

16. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

That's a proper tent, perhaps even overkill. Huge difference between that and a Colman from Walmart.

17. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

I have a Helsport Varanger Camp 8 -10 person size, a wonderful winter shelter until you need to use a cot to sleep on, then the 8 person becomes a 2 person when you use the stove, I should have bought the much bigger and taller 12 -14 person size and paid the extra money. Because the Helsport stove runs hot it needs more space than some other stoves and it really is overkill for the smaller tents

18. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

19. Noddy

Noddy Scout

While you are thinking about all this, check out de Waard tents. Dutch and amazing and beautiful - all named after birds and with good reason :) Don't look at the prices

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    WY_Not likes this.
  20. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

My wife always insists on a tent large enough to stand in, and move around in. so, for decades we have relied on Coleman cabin tents. We have predominantly used a 10x14. It was great when the kids lived with us, but for just two people its a bit overkill in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Our last one gave up after having used it for several years. It poured rain overnight and we woke to water on the floor and wet bedding and gear. NOT fun! When we broke camp, the tent went straight to the campground dumpster.

No worries though! We already replaced it. [​IMG]

The Coleman 6 person Montana tent is what we went with:
    https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000...ateway&sprefix=coleman+montana,aps,163&sr=8-1

Its a nice tent, but bigger than I'd like for just the two of us. However, it is nice if we decide to take all 3 dogs with us. They have their side of the tent, and we have ours. :18: Yeah right! :rolleyes:

WY_Not likes this.
  21. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Just keep telling yourself, "Happy wife, happy life." ;)

Metaldog likes this.
  22. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

True. My only consolation is that when we do go to a campground, we usually only take one dog. Sometimes two, but when all 3 are together they growl, woof & bark at nearly every sound. Especially when inside the tent. :12:

The one we usually take is so laid back, she doesn't bark unless someone walks into our campsite. We were sitting by the campfire one night, and the dog was sound asleep off to the side of the camp site. She suddenly sat up and stared like a pointer straight ahead towards the woods. I shined my light over at her to see her nearly nose to nose with a raccoon. She hadn't made a sound or a move, but as soon as the raccoon saw the light, off he went into the wood. My wife & I look at each other with surprised looks and just laughed.

She is the kind of dog that will stay quiet in the shadows until you get too close. Then she is on you and you can't move fast enough. She really is a great dog though. Friendly with everyone, but very protective of her own. :)

WY_Not likes this.
  23. Noddy

Noddy Scout

When I was small once, dad came home with a 16'x16' cabin tent and a couple of kayaks and surfboards on top of the car. Tent had a big front awning and you could also open the sides to tarp-covered areas, if you liked. He scooped the lot off a guy at work, and it turned out that that was what we did for the next ten or so years a few times a year. Drive out to the Atlantic coast and mess about in the sea for a couple of weeks at a time. Usually staying in a farmer's field that had a hose, a horse trough and a one-seat outhouse at best.

He was pretty handy, and apart from making cool knives and axes out of bits of toolsteel from work, he adapted a trailer for all our stuff and made a big container for the roofrack which converted into the kitchen table/stove/food cupboard. All sorts of bits and pieces.

Point is that we took other tents with us for little kayak trips round the point or whatever, or for us kids to sleep in round the big tent if we was feeling isolationist :)

Mum really liked it when we were all together, but if Dad had to go to work, I think it was tougher on her, there being three of us, one of her and no car then. Summer sea storms etc, shopping etc became a big chore, and our spots sometimes felt pretty cut off.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Metaldog and WY_Not like this.
  24. Pontiac787

Pontiac787 Tracker

I have the REI Kingdom 8 and really like it. It goes up easily, packs up relatively small, and the design is a very efficient use of space. As mentioned above REI has a 30% off sale a couple of time a year.