7 Knife Review - AA Forge, Mora, Wilder Forge...

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Syntria, Feb 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Syntria

Syntria Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Morning BCUSA Fam,

I'm wanting to do a knife review this weekend on 7 knives I have in my possession. Given I'm a novice, I'd love some tips on how spruce it up. I'm going to pre-write a few key points for each knife to give my video a little structure.

Here are the knives I'm going to be reviewing. I want to cover more than just my personal preferences. I don't want to aim for upper tier knife experts as my audience but provide enough information to be useful to more than just knife newbies.

Intro to each knife - what it is, what its made out of, unique characteristics such as shape/style, etc.
    Special Considerations - Keeping sharp, caring for the blade/metal, caring for the handles

I'll do a little write up of each knife today as well and update it here to give me a starting point. I would love any additional input from you guys that could help enrich my review.

2018-02-15 13.23.56.jpg 2018-02-15 15.55.29.jpg 2018-02-13 17.54.01-2.jpg 2018-02-10 10.48.33.jpg

JasonJ, LongAgoLEO, diamondm and 5 others like this.
  2. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    one of them will handle best for you, regardless of grind. i want to know why that is. one blade shape/grind will work best for you. i want to why that is. now then: is the handle you like best on the blade you like best?

3. Gman1051

Gman1051 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to your reviews!
    I have always loved sharp things.

4. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails anatidaephobic Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I am sure you already know this but be sure to try each knife in the various grips, you may be surprised at
    what you find. Examples below:

rsnurkle, aaronu, Swampdog and 2 others like this.
  5. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just be honest and don’t let reputation of maker or price sway your impressions.

Broke, Kreger, Glock Holiday and 2 others like this.
  6. dirt7

dirt7 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Spine geometry? It the spine able to throw sparks from a ferro rod?

Kreger, LongAgoLEO and Syntria like this.
  7. Boggs

Boggs Tracker

Blog Posts:
    First off I hope you have spent a lot of time using these knives to give an accurate review....
    Nothing worse than listening/reading a review when it’s obvious the individual is just putting a review together for review sake.

1.With that being said...minimal time on the curling of feather sticks and fero rod striking the spine...it’s getting old
    2.how does the handle feel...contour,slick,glove or no glove
    3.easy of sharpening...eliminate personal opinion on if it came sharp enough ....but speak to edge during the tasks performed
    4.easy of cutting...was it to thick for certain tasks
    5. Most of all personal and relatable

I might be sounding tough in my suggestions, it’s not meant to be...there’s simply to many “me too” video’s without substance on the forum that get praise.

There was a recent post and video review on the Esee PR4 that was rather thorough and a good reference

8. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Use the knives in food prep.

All of them can process wood to a satisfactory level for fire prep. Unless you are shooting for very specific woodworking tasks, sometimes cutting up food for cooking prep will really tell you something about the handles, ergonomics, geometry, etc.

AlexD, diamondm and LongAgoLEO like this.
  9. Smokey Radley

Smokey Radley Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'd love to see:

Hard time on each handle looking for extended use hot spots, in different grips. "it felt great when doing curls, but weird in the foil grip"
    Size comparison of the handle to your hand. ex. "handle is too small for me, but I wear XXL gloves"
    Acknowledgment of design intentions and limitations. ie when folks expect a scandi grind to perform like a saber grind, and give it a bad review because it's not. That's like being frustrated when your fuel efficient car can't do the 1/4 mile in 10 secs. Just different designs, not a failure.
    No un-boxing...IMO those aren't usage reviews.
    A format that is quantifiable/standardized. ie, all feather sticks were done with dry oak, and each knife produced a hat full. All try sticks were from 1/2" green maple. A paper sharpness test after each stage, etc, then at the end how long it took to bring the knife back to original sharpness.

rsnurkle, AlexD and diamondm like this.
  10. Oiler20

Oiler20 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like to hear how it does in cold weather while wearing gloves.
    can you get it from its sheath easily while wearing gloves?
    is the handle made so it wont slide in your gloved hand without a tight grip?
    Is there some room in the sheath so if water freezes to the blade and you can't get it off that you can still use your sheath

rsnurkle, Syntria and Kreger like this.
  11. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Wow. That's a really neat set of blades to work with.

Maybe do a try stick...? ... Although with 7 knives maybe do just a few specific cuts and notches with each knife. For a video you could show the try stick for each knife and talk about how the knife worked for you. Not only would that give you good experience with each knife, it would lend credibility as evidence that you seriously worked with each knife.

@Princess Ember did a try stick with 3 puuko's from a Thom Darrah challenge and I think that was pretty telling. For that matter, most any of the @t.darrah challenges should provide pretty good knife review content. Dig around a bit and see what people have done.

If you aren't already planning to do so, I suggest you keep notes as you put the knives through their paces.

And you're on the right track with your pre-writing. Seven is a lot of knives to cover in one video. You'll need to be organized for sure. :)

12. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just a few thoughts in no particular order - 7 knives are a lot at one time. Might be easy for viewers to get lost. Maybe some video prep work by putting all 7 through a similar testing sequence then whittle it down to 3 or 4 at the most? Personally, I like to know what materials and hardness is being tested. That may also help folks new to knives get started finding their own favorites. Ideally all steel choices and hardness will be similar to make comparisons. As others have noted decisions about ranking will be influenced by a number of factors. My guess is you will be determining what works best for you in the testing scenarios based on expected use. That approach is one I find most helpful overall. Sounds like a great project and I wish you every success.

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  13. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Did you ever finish reviewing the knives you pictured in this thread ?

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.