Discussion in 'Paddling' started by 95YJRio, Apr 18, 2018.
Finally got a paddle in. No leaks! Sorry for the poor picture quality, phone was in a plastic bag.
Took out the canoe with my dad and one of my brothers over the weekend and caught a few keepers on night crawlers. Don't know the exact size of the bass or weight, did not have any scales on hand. But for a little reference, the rack is out of the bottom of the oven that no one uses. Not too bad I say for fall SC weather. I hope to soon get some nose art on her like I originally planned.
I finally got around to painting some nose art on one side.
View attachment 694544
I earned my BSA 50-Miler Afloat patch in one of those 42 years ago. In the summer of 1976. One of the five weeks I spent at Scout Camp that summer. My best summer as a kid.
I just started my own Canadian Navy.
I just picked up this 1988 Grumman 17 footer for $100 off of Facebook. I now have 2 canoes, my first one that in the beginning of this thread and the one below.
After a quick look over, there may be 2 holes that I need to patch. But it's nothing like the 5 that my 15 footer had. I am going to strip off the homemade camo job and I will have a better understanding what needs to be done.
More canoe goodness to come.
Cheers ~ Torry
I love Grumman canoes. I have a 17 ft square stern and 15 foot sport boat. I’m still looking for a 13 footer.
I still have (and use) my 1st canoe. A brand new 1972 Grumman 17J. I now have other canoes but she was my first love.
Great job. Do the pop rivets have holes all the way through? Did you seal them?
On my 15 footer, I used closed end rivets and I will be doing the same on the 16 footer. No sealer is needed on those types of rivets. I do however, use M5220 sealant between the patch plate and the canoe hull. I still have enough aluminum sheeting left for patches, but I might have to by more rivets. I don't think I have enough for this project.
To remove the paint, I am going to try this method.
I also picked up this yesterday for free. Gonna make a portage cart out of it with pvc. I am going to remove the old paint and rust first.
I picked up a similar vintage grumman 17'er from my local craigslist back in 2014. Initially started as a way to get my daughter out on the water with my son and I, because she was afraid of the solo kayak thing. I actually prefer it to my sit in kayak now.
Last weekend I was cleaning out a shed when I heard a sound like someone running an excavator in the river behind the neighbor's house (family camp). I walked over to see what was going on, and there was the neighbor cutting up his brother in law's 15' michi-craft aluminum canoe with a sawzall..... because it had a leak. I could've thrown up right there.
That would make me cry seeing that. Too bad that was going to be scrapped and turned into beer cans over something trivial as a leak.
He must not have approved of the marriage...
I did some work on removing the paint today from our second canoe, Clark. We named our canoes Lewis and Clark after the famous duo that explored the Louisiana purchase in 1804. Lewis is the 15 footer, the first canoe project.
I had some good help from my 2 year old. He is not ready for total control.
Kaitlin washing it down with dish soap to remove the dirt.
I tried the flour mixture and I added too much and it was like a cookie dough paste and not like pancake batter. I had to get a second can and i just used it as is.
I did uncover some nose are under the camo job.
Here is the results from the first side that I worked on.
The middle of the canoe needs more stripper to remove the last little bit. I ran out of both stripper and daylight. I will work on it more tomorrow.
I removed all the paint that I could. It's going to have some light green spots due to paint getting into the light scratches. I also have to patch a 3 inch crack, and not shown, the middle rib is broken in half. I did some reading and it's best to repair the rib with a new one and use the original style air hammer rivets. I don't know if I am up to that challenge quite yet.
The plastic help keep the stripper from drying out.
I did not sand around the bad spot. I uncovered it when I removed the paint.
Next I need to purchase more washers and rivets for the patch. I am out of both. I still have a good amount of aluminum plating left.