87days Alone By Zachary Fowler (87 DAYS ep. 1 )

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by Fowler, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here it is, after all this time I'm finally going to show you all that i did out on History's Alone season 3 to win that $500K grand prize. And I'm not just going to do it in broken bits and pieces; this is going to be a re-enactment of my time out on Alone season 3, but as if i did it here in Maine where I live. I'm going to build it all over again: all the shelters, traps, fishing, Duck-hunter 3000, spoons, And even the Rake but with the resources that i have here on my land in Maine. On the actual TV show you see only 2 - 2.5 hours of my 87 days out in Patagonia. This time I'm going to do it all for you in detail.

Did you know I built a new trap every week while I was out there? You see only 2 on TV. One of the traps was a 4 x 4 foot hole i dug with my shovel that had a trap door. You see the duck-hunter 3000 with a paddle wheel on it motor out into the water and do my fishing on the TV show, but that was just the first version I made. The mark 2 had a Propeller and caught more fish for me then any of my other traps.

In this first video i'll pick out the site where its all going to happen and we will sit down and go over the 10 items i brought with me for that 87 days. I can't tell you how excited i am to be doing this!! I love to make stuff and of late its been lots of Appearances at events and learning my new camera equipment but finally I'm getting back out there and I am going to make it all again for you!!!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    LarryB, Fiddlehead, Andster and 60 others like this.
  2. possumjon

possumjon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'll watch once i get home!

Fowler likes this.
  3. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    Got my subscription .

Fowler likes this.
  4. Scratchthejeepguy

Scratchthejeepguy Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Excited to see the rest of the series, are you going to touch on your BMI?

Fowler likes this.
  5. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ya ill be doing a hole video with before and after pic but i can tell you now it was 21 at the end

6. DCP

DCP Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What made you switch to the 80d?

Fowler and Winterhorse like this.
  7. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great idea, Fowler. I'll definitely be following this series. :dblthumb:

8. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome!
    I think this is what the bushcrafters have really been awaiting .

Fowler likes this.
  9. POGEYBAIT

POGEYBAIT Guide

Blog Posts:
    Awesome man. Thanks for sharing. Saw you at The Blade show this year.

Fowler likes this.
  10. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah!

Blog Posts:
    Cool beans! Subscribed to the thread.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Fowler likes this.
  11. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very cool! I'm really looking forward to this!

Fowler likes this.
  12. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    you can only kill 2 birds with your slingshot

City Bushcrafter and Fowler like this.
  13. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice one Fowler i'm gonna enjoy this video series, i will sit down and watch this next time i have a distraction free period.

14. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wasnt geting a Quality image from the Cannon xa 30 so im sending it in to get worked on. And a bunch of youtubers use the 80 d

DCP likes this.
  15. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    There was only 2 bird out there. and i got one with my bird trap and one with my slingshot. then there were none

LarryB, jackjack, Winterhorse and 2 others like this.
  16. DCP

Blog Posts:
    Just got an 80d myself good camera check out the video setting tweaks on YouTube I think you can get an even better video quality with the 80d

Winterhorse and Fowler like this.
  17. baptistpreach

baptistpreach Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Fowler, big fan of yours! Watched the episode, really helpful, and honestly, the kind of behind the scenes info I've always wanted to know. Thanks so much! Can't wait to see more, and I'll subscribe, too.

rsnurkle and Fowler like this.
  18. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for doing this Fowler! I think it will be great to see ALL the little things you did out there. Most of us really wish the producers of Alone would show more how it is done, and not the whining about starving, and you are now giving us that. Hopefully your vids are popular and Alone releases something similar, or allows past contestants to use the footage they shot out there to make similar videos.

19. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ya just got it a week ago and the had to send the Canon xa30 in for repairs just not geting the quality out of it i needed. And i have never had a DSLR so i have been watching a lot of videos on how to use it. I really like just takes some geting used to. And i have to use manual to stop the geting dark and light thing from happening. Did a bit better it my alone episode 4 review a bit over exposed but better.

Winterhorse likes this.
  20. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    They will never release old footage i offered to trade all my winnings for the footage and nothing

jackjack, rsnurkle, colter and 5 others like this.
  21. Odinborn

Odinborn Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I want to see an exact reenactment of all 2,088 hours alone... Just might take a few years to watch it all.

Winterhorse and Fowler like this.
  22. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Day 1 Shelter and What I Brought for Clothing To Patagonia (87 DAYS Episode 2 )

So these first two episodes of 87 days are not an accurate representation Of what the series is going to look like. After this next episode about the hacks I used on my gear before I went out there It will be a lot more About Just making stuff. And Much Less choppy with all that picture-in-picture stuff. Outside of the occasional added clip when I reference something out there. And as I build up my shelter and camp up i will include some overnights out there.

Feel free to ask me anything ????

23. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have you been practicing with the ferro rod, since you got back? Did you get a pair of Mukluks? My winter/spring/fall wet mukluk is a simple over shoe with felt liners, light weight and warm easy dry out as the felts come out easily, too.

24. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Any padding for sleeping on? Nice pillow. Much clearing of small trees or rocks necessary? I think out in Patagonia you had a log (not the huge log later) on the uphill side of your shelter.....do anything with that?

Very cool video. Thanks for doing these.

25. Big Skillet

Big Skillet Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting and entertaining. Found the saw discussion particularly interesting. You've got another subscriber!

Fowler likes this.
  26. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very excited about this. I thought you did a fantastic job in Patagonia. Really excited to hear about that amazing shovel. I think you had one of the best shelters to date on Alone. The dock was great as well. Do you have any regrets or would you change your items if you had it to do over again? Subscribed. Thanks for doing this.

27. elkhound

elkhound Scout

Blog Posts:
    ferro rod...in the history youtube clip of your 10 items it looked to me as if the ferro rod had a hole drilled in each end. was it? and if so were you planning on breaking it in half some way to create 2 ferro rods so you could carry one and leave one at camp to cover any lose of this item? can a ferro rod be snapped even if scored?

saw...cant wait to hear more about saw and hopefully see it in action up close.toss this out for yall to see.theres a new saw out with a very different type set of teeth made here in u.s.a. in california. its a 28 inch saw called a western log saw made for garrett wade.i would like to see this item up close or hear about it if anyone has seen it in action.

http://www.garrettwade.com/western-log-saw.html

[​IMG]

28. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a docking saw very similar, it has a belly in the teeth, or a bow in it. About 4 teeth per inch, easy to sharpen.

Fowler likes this.
  29. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Haven't rally practiced with the ferro rod i got enough of that out there and hear its really Easy. I would like to practice Going out After it's been raining for two days And starting a fire with the ferro rod. No mucklucks yet but i do want to get a pair this winter.
    No padding the ground was like 4 foot of soft top soil there so not many rocks once you got a few feet back form the Waters edge. The sleeping bag was fairly comfortable Provided enough padding I slept right on the ground. I slept really well thereExcept for the nightmares the firstMonth. Kept dreaming I was home And saying no I'm not supposed to be here I didn't quit And then I wake up. The log in my first shelter made in a back rest when sitting outside and A shelf inside to put my stuff on.

rsnurkle and Winterhorse like this.
  30. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    No regret things that would do differently But only little tweaks to my 10 items and clothes Still the same 10 item list

Winterhorse likes this.
  31. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ya I drilled a hole in the other end of my Ferro rod And could have used the file hacksaw On my multitool to cut it in to but i found that i really didn't need to and never bothered to do it . It really wasen't that hard to keep track of and i only used it to get the fire going a few times then i just keep it going and put it to sleep and woke it up as needed. Keep it going for 50 days strait at the longest stretch.

LarryB, rsnurkle, Winterhorse and 5 others like this.
  32. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    How dose the blog thing work here should i make the 87 days a blog here so it is easyer to fallow and talk about ?

Winterhorse likes this.
  33. trailhermit

trailhermit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about every one else, but I don't follow the blogs much. The forums keep me busy enough. I sure appreciate your vlogs and posts!

34. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Same here. Blogs don't hold my interest very well. Forum posts feel more free flowing and active.

35. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Catch and cook my first fish and Fire In Patagonia on Day 2 (87 DAYS Episode 3 )
    Video Link >>

rsnurkle, Unistat76, chekmate and 3 others like this.
  36. bency

bency Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Rocks dont fly straight from a slingshot, cause they are not round. Instead of making spoons and chopsticks, I'd have been making arrows and baked clay balls, for use with my slingbow. Wooden arrows, with duct tape fletching, FLOAT, so multiple tries at "rafts" of swimming ducks, allow you to retrieve your arrows with your outrigger pontoon raft. If you can split a 4" OD hunk of log, 6" long and whittle/grind the flats, you can roll clay balls very close to being perfectly round and the same size. They suffice for small birds, lizards, frogs, snakes, stuff that aint worth the loss/breakage of an arrow. Snakes are often not at ALL easy to gig or club. They slip away in the brush, down a hole, under a log or rock in a flash. But a clayball hit almost anywhere on them will mess them up enough to let you run up and club them, pin their heads to the ground with your foot, spear, etc.

Fold down the arrow rest and this slingbow will "fire" clayballs, stones, etc.

37. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yea, that all would be awesome. But you're mentioning half the things which they couldn't do because of the lack of supplies. Also keep in mind, he has experience with it. He knows his tools and how to use them.

Winterhorse and Unistat76 like this.
  38. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    Let's break this down, shall we. I don't see you building a raft. He "wasted" a entire day making a wood water bottle which will hold more water, while he should have done it getting food I assume by your other posts. There are 24 hours in a entire day. He was there for roughly 78 days. Tell me, do you constantly move for 14 or more hours non stop, always working, without break everyday? Cause if so you belong in a super soldier program. You also suggest he make a container using the gaiters. You mean the same gaiters which have zippers that run along the entire side of the gaiter? OK. Why don't you use your gaiters to make a container which holds water for a month.

Again you talk about making log rafts, which requires more energy than he would get back once it's done. So there's that. And regarding weaving the netting. Let's see you start doing that. Seems easy for you. You seem to be able to make all that stuff. How about you make them and show everyone here with two weeks. I mean you have nothing holding you back. Plenty of food, plenty of supplies you can buy anywhere.

Regarding food, you seem to know exactly what is in his area in Patagonia. That's good. Well seeing how food is more readily available here I can see why you'd think everywhere is the same. Specially on the ocean as well.

I know for a fact I am not able to do the things you mention. I wouldn't be able to carry the camera gear or even hike to the base camp location with all my gear. But before you go telling people who actually lived it that they are wrong. How about you go out there and show us what "right" is.

39. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    If there's one thing I hate more than anything else, it's seeing someone who has no proof of doing something like that, go around and tell the person who's done it that they are wrong.

Winterhorse, 3Rotts, morganbw and 2 others like this.
  40. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Have you seen Fowler's video of Day 2 of his 87 Days videos on YouTube? He does a great job of showing how he ate all of his fish, and mentions that all but I think 2 were 12" plus fish. So maybe 50 pounds??

Winterhorse likes this.
  41. Ance

Ance Scout

Blog Posts:
    What's this bency guys problem? Armchair quarterbacking turned to obnoxious on a scale of 1 to 10. I mean I have talked crap bout things some of the contestant have done....to myself while watching the show. But you can never truly know what you would do in a hypothetical without being in that exact situation. Keep up the great content @Fowler.

Winterhorse, 3Rotts and DCP like this.
  42. DCP

Blog Posts:
    Def obnoxious

Winterhorse and 3Rotts like this.
  43. 3Rotts

3Rotts Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Waiting anxiously for bency to post his videos of his greatness.

44. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lose 73 Pounds in 87 days & keep it off ketogenic diet (87 DAYS Episode 4 ) This should answer some of the questions brought up recently. I'll be in to answer the other ones is as soon as I can busy with the kids, Jamie is off Gallivanting around England ;)

Video Link >>

45. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would like to see some of bency's work as well. After watching the Whipples construct their log cabin I don't see why a log raft wouldn't be out of the question. Maybe on a mooring line scavenged from the beach. I don't really see one being poled around, as we did as kids, paddling would be like, work.

46. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Winterhorse likes this.
  47. Fowler

Fowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Duck Hunter 3000 The Overly Elaborate Primitive Trap That feed me for 87 Days (87 DAYS Episode 5)

Video Link>>

48. Jameson

Jameson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Totally awesome! Why did you only make 1 while in Patagonia?

Fowler likes this.
  49. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    bency has been here before under different names. nothing but cut and paste. drop a turd in a thread and leave. i think he might be gone now. he'll show back up under a different name some day ...

50. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah!

Blog Posts:
    Great video @Fowler! The cold steel shovel looks like a very versatile tool. Pretty cool!