A Hunting Story

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Wasp, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For several years I looked forward to the one hundred miles to my moms on a weekend or break to spend some time. I generally took a friend with me and we passed the time eating, sitting around campfires, fishing and fish fries, swimming, and even hunting and shooting. We were never bored.

It was in the country in western Arkansas and her property adjoined a heavily wooded forty acres they owned, and it further adjoined a neighbor's property we had permission for and two very large properties used cow grazing we also used and fished the cow ponds. Basically a few hundred acres of property to play on.

On one particular trip we had been pumped up about deer hunting but at the last minute decided instead to squirrel hunt. We put our .22's and overnight bags in the Camaro and off we went. It was a nice drive but after goofing around all the way there like young twenty somethings do it was nearly dark when we arrived. A few hours of chatting and off to bed to get an early start.

Early the next morning we intended to head out, but mom had breakfast ready so we sat and ate and talked for longer than we meant to. About ten we finally got ready and put our camo on, because that's how us Arkansas boys hunt everything, in camo. We loaded up our favorite rimfires mine a 10/22 my grandpa gave me at sixteen, and my buddy's was a Marlin tube fed.

We crossed the field towards the entrance to the woods I remembered they had recently logged for cedar. What had been thick hardwood with small clusters of cedar would now be new roads and clearings. I wasn't sure how I felt about that because in a way they had taken some of the magic out if my favorite place.

We explored the new roads and darted down little trails looking for tree rats. We weren't having any luck even after sitting at the foot of trees hoping something might move. I started to think the loggers had run off all of the squirrel or might have taken most of them for themselves.

After walking some more we came to the end of a trail and onto one of the new roads. We were about to give up but while chatting my buddy's face lit up, and in one of the large oaks had to be every squirrel in three counties. I couldn't believe or understand why they were all in one tree on the edge of the road. This made it particularly difficult to sneak up on them.

As I crept in the shadows as close to the treeline as possible to avoid detection they seemed to notice so I motioned to my buddy to get down. I whispered that we ought to try to rush them because I was sure we could get a couple to stick to the tree. Then we could flush them to the other side so each of us could get a shot.

As we started to go we both stopped right in our tracks, because, you know, sometimes you see something you've never seen before and your legs wont work. Those squirrel ran to the end of the limbs of that tree in every direction, there were at least half a dozen, but thats not what surprised us. When they got to the ends of the limbs they jumped and flew, yes flew twenty five or so yards across and perpendicular to the road and disappeared. That didn't keep me from trying to take a shot on the last one mid flight even knowing I would miss. I mean a whole tree of squirrels and everyone not only outsmarted us but did it all fancy.

We looked for them for over an hour but I guess they were hiding and laughing or had gone back to their respectable counties after the meeting. I was upset we missed them all but the real reason we didn't see any probably had to do with how loud we were being. I mean neither of us had ever seen a flying squirrel except on tv, especially where we lived, never even heard stories until after we told this one.

We finally gave up and headed back, exhausted and with a new story to tell. You'd have thought a couple of Southern boys had seen a spaceship with the enthusiasm we put forward. The rest of the afternoon was spent grilling BBQ chicken and doing some shooting just to shoot, friends-family, and stories from true to stretched.

I know you were expecting me to get around to some great beast we slayed, but to me it ends like a lot of really good hunting trips. With lots if food and fun, a good story and great memories of the time we spent with people we care about. Hunting isn't always about what you get, but what you got out of it.

Chris

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  2. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've seen snakes fly out of trees. They wiggle through the air as if in the grass. They can cover a surprising distance. Your BBQ chicken sounds better than Kentucky Fried Snake. :cool:

-John

3. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great story bud! Thank you.

Regards,

ezra

4. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes sir. Just traveling through my memories today and thought I'd share.

5. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you killed some excellent time. Great hunting.

6. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And I wouldn't have traded it for a whole bag full of game either. ;)

7. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Don't you dare, a kill is a kill!!

8. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  9. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Some of my best days spent hunting occurred when my prey was courteous enough to leave me alone.

10. central joe

central joe All quacked up Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    A good read lad. Some of my best hunts were when I came back emptyhanded, but thoroughly refreshed. joe

11. insector

insector Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got a big belly laugh on that one..........yo. Those squirrels will surprise you every once in a while. Like they had brains and memory.............reminds me of a story of my own. (Most parts are true). Take my word for it:

THE LESSON

The 1st time I ever saw elk was in Jackson Hole Wyoming and again in Yellowstone in the mid-70s. On my way from Vegas to Missoula, Montana.

It was akin to seeing Sasquatch. Monsters they were........walked on stilts for legs. Huge deer like creatures. But different. Regal. Linked to a higher level than I.......

In later years I then moved to Montana where my 1st several years of elk hunting were dismal failures. A fresh track or pile of scat pellets would keep me awake at night just from the enormity of that moment.

One day I might actually see one that I could hunt............

The best elk hunting , like now, was on private property. I knew no local ranchers. Nor married ones daughter. Nor was kin or best friends of one. So I hunted on public land with large numbers of hunters and a limited number of scared elk hiding out in these nearby heavily timbered forests.

Shooting a spike or cow was cause for celebration and still is. Killing a branch antlered bull was on par with having a private audience with the Pope.

While on a game trail I finally jumped a bull which lurched from its self made bed in heavy timber. It happened so fast I did not shoot. He disappeared through heavy deadfall. I found his bed and saw he was lying there where he could see an approach from any direction. Close to the road and could hear any vehicle. I thought no elk would be so near a fairly well traveled road. I was wrong.

He was comfy there till I became the only one to walk that game trail.

I should have been ready.

12. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Oh, if you only knew the number of animals that I busted while not having my head in the game.

I really ought to be a vegetarian.

13. victoratsea

victoratsea Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nah, it happens to everybody. My weakness is when I get too many targets at one time. I'll point what ever I'm shooting at four to six different targets and never get the shot off. My friends tell me it's hilarious to see. Target overload!
    Victor

CivilizationDropout and Sandcut like this.
  14. fatcat55

fatcat55 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great story and great comments!

I believe anyone who ever had a similar experience enjoyed a little reminiscing while reading this thread.

I know I certainly did. Thanks to all for sharing.